Booth Babes and the Expo Page 20

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 15:27:34
    Fanfiction is fucking terrible, though, and leads to shit like 50 Shades of Grey. It shouldn't be marketed. It should be nuked from orbit.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 15:28:11
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @kalel I can understand that certain products have a target audience that depends on gender, but I don't think videogames should be one of them. There are many more women interested in this industry than most people realise. It's just that we are overlooked because of our gender. It's the whole 'oh girls don't like these sort of things' excuse. We are assumed to be girlfriends, sisters, mothers, wives. Never gamers in our own right.
    I'm sorry but I really don't think you're quite getting how marketing works. Females could make up 49% of the total that buy games (I'm certain they don't btw) and that still wouldn't be enough to gear marketing towards them.

Think of Boots. I shop in Boots. I'd wager most of the men on this forum do. When was the last time you saw a Boots advert with men in it? Is "here come the boys" the theme tune for Boots adverts? Do Boots have their own range of manly products? Is the men's section well signposted and easy to find in Boots? The answer is no, because despite making up a large part of their audience, they are not the core demographic.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 15:29:29 44,955 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @warlockuk I won't argue there are more men than women in the gaming world. But I don't think there are as few of us as to not be recognised as a target audience. FF.net is full of girls writing fanfiction about videogames characters. Some may have not played the games, true, but most of them have.
    We'll give you an ANF seminaked teenager for you to shriek at then. Happy?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 15:30:00
    Also these things are not based on hunches or prejudice. They are based on exhaustive and intensive market research. It's their business to market where it's most effective, and they do not let things like sexism or gender roles get in their way. Again, they are deeply cynical and if there was money to be made from marketing to women, they'd do it in a heartbeat.
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 15:30:27 40 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kinky_mong Um, condescending much? I think the games mentioned were all AAA titles on consoles.

Besides, whether you like it or not, Farmville is a game. I wouldn't know how good because I don't have a FB account and I haven't played. But just because a game is bad it doesn't stop being a game.
  • monkman76 11 Oct 2012 15:31:33 5,385 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:

I'm sorry but I really don't think you're quite getting how marketing works. Females could make up 49% of the total that buy games (I'm certain they don't btw) and that still wouldn't be enough to gear marketing towards them.

It would surely be enough not to use marketing that actively *discourages* them from consuming though.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 15:33:38
    monkman76 wrote:
    kalel wrote:

It would surely be enough not to use marketing that actively *discourages* them from consuming though.
    Dunno, do you think Nestle worry about actually directly encouraging girls from eating Yorkies? Again, I think you have to actually look at the specific products being marketed by booth babes, rather than thinking that booth babes = any game promo ever.
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 15:34:15 40 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Actually, just give me a life size poster of Sephiroth and that would make my day xD
  • kinky_mong 11 Oct 2012 15:35:50 10,860 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @kinky_mong Um, condescending much? I think the games mentioned were all AAA titles on consoles.

Besides, whether you like it or not, Farmville is a game. I wouldn't know how good because I don't have a FB account and I haven't played. But just because a game is bad it doesn't stop being a game.
    I sincerely doubt all these girls are playing AAA titles, and the ones that do are like this...

Anyway, calling someone who plays Farmville a gamer is like calling someone who shaves their head every few months with some cheap clippers a hairdresser.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• monkman76 11 Oct 2012 15:35:55 5,385 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To use kalel's example, if Boots were full of muscle-bound blokes milling about in speedos I'd think twice about going in.
  • Ziz0u 11 Oct 2012 15:36:01 8,648 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We need an actual booth babe in here. Do they know how to use a computer?
  • kinky_mong 11 Oct 2012 15:37:35 10,860 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    We need an actual booth babe in here. Do they know how to use a computer?
    One does, but the screen is now covered in tippex...

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 15:40:38 40 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kinky_mong Sorry, work is blocking images, so I can't see :/

And who gave you the right to decide who is and isn't a gamer? Why the discrimination? If somebody plays Gourmet Ranch, more power to them. If somebody plays Skyrim, then power to them to. This is about having a hobby and enjoying it, not a members exclusive club.
  • nickthegun 11 Oct 2012 15:41:38 61,286 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm part of a demographic that doesn't want to see rubbish cosplay. Is it big enough to warrant a blanket ban at next years expo? Yes. Yes it is.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 15:42:18
    monkman76 wrote:
    kalel wrote:

If it were 49% and research was demonstrating that their marketing was putting them off, then yeah probably, but we're talking about a hypothetical situation here so it's sort of moot.

Nintendo's recent marketing towards females is interesting. It's probably largely because the Wii was failing with other demographics so they pursued others, but still, it does show things are changing.

That said, if boobs and guns weren't working for others, we wouldn't be seeing them do it. It's really that simple. While individuals might not like it, the best they can do is vote with their wallets and hope others do the same.
  • GiarcYekrub 11 Oct 2012 15:42:25 3,857 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    To use kalel's example, if Boots were full of muscle-bound blokes milling about in speedos I'd think twice about going in.
    The Tampon aisle does that to me, but I'm not starting a Internet campain to get them banned
  • kinky_mong 11 Oct 2012 15:47:38 10,860 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @kinky_mong Sorry, work is blocking images, so I can't see :/

And who gave you the right to decide who is and isn't a gamer? Why the discrimination? If somebody plays Gourmet Ranch, more power to them. If somebody plays Skyrim, then power to them to. This is about having a hobby and enjoying it, not a members exclusive club.
    I'm not discriminating, just pointing out that the markets for casual and more traditional games are very different, so putting them under one blanket of "gaming" isn't helpful, particularly in marketing terms.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 11 Oct 2012 15:49:41 39,754 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does the thought of women's blood give you flashbacks to your murders?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 15:51:06 44,955 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @LeoliansBro Actually, just give me a life size poster of Sephiroth and that would make my day xD
    You don't get to be a Weeaboo Japfag and baulk at women in revealing clothing. Pick your camp and pitch your tent.

• nickthegun 11 Oct 2012 15:51:46 61,286 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    To actually use it in a better context, i have a friend who is a buyer and i went to a trade show with her once. The majority of products there that were aimed at women had male models handing out samples, chocolates and that kind of thing. It certainly didnt stop women going to the exhibits.

It would be the same if the demographics were reversed. If gaming became the reserve of women, booth babes would indeed be dudes in lycra shorts.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 15:56:31 40 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kinky_mong FB games work in a different way, I do agree. There is no 'end' to them, so the money they make is spread out over a longer period of time. Also, most people can access a computer and FB while at work, while doing the same with a console is a bit mroe complicated :p (unless you're lucky like me). A lot of people are casual gamers, but a lot also put in a whole lot of effort and time and passion into their game (believe me, I worked several months for a FB company and some of the emails we got from customers were NUTS).

But just because I use and xbox and play L4D2, and another person plays Farmville until he has designed the Taj Mahal in crops doesn't make either of us a lesser gamer than the other.
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 15:59:23 40 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro I'm not quite sure why you are upset with me liking Sephiroth... O_o
  • chopsen 11 Oct 2012 15:59:30 16,289 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    But just because I use and xbox and play L4D2, and another person plays Farmville until he has designed the Taj Mahal in crops doesn't make either of us a lesser gamer than the other.
    It is a bit idiotic to think they're exactly the same, though.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 15:59:59 44,955 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @LeoliansBro I'm not quite sure why you are upset with me liking Sephiroth... O_o
    I'm not.

• warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 16:00:22 19,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You're both the same. L4D2 on the consoles is terrible.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 16:02:19 19,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @warlockuk I won't argue there are more men than women in the gaming world. But I don't think there are as few of us as to not be recognised as a target audience. FF.net is full of girls writing fanfiction about videogames characters. Some may have not played the games, true, but most of them have.
    You're only a target audience to games just for girls. Most games either have a target audience of both genders or mainly male.

Look at Mass Effect 3; you can play as Shepherd or Femshep. Look at World of Warcraft. They just added fucking Pandas. That's got female demo spunked all over it.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 16:03:05
    I've totally lost what point you're actually arguing LadyA. We've gone from women being exploited, to women not being marketed to, and now we're on the status of casual gamers.
  • morriss 11 Oct 2012 16:03:21 71,286 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like boobs and guns.
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 16:04:24 40 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Chopsen The difference is in the game. But whoever is playing is a person who enjoys gaming. I don't like the same games my brother does, but it doesn't mean he's any less of a gamer than I am.
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 16:06:32 40 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @warlockuk Personally, I think the pandas are stupid. But I don't play WoW, so...
  • Page

of 30 First / Last