Booth Babes and the Expo Page 19

  • Page

    of 30 First / Last

  • kinky_mong 11 Oct 2012 14:26:45 10,447 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    If I did go next year I'm tempted to go in fancy dress/cosplay as Lara Croft in protest to the lack of Booth Babes
    Wearing Rhona Mitra's skin isn't really cosplaying as Lara Croft.

    All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 14:33:25 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kalel If a girl wants to stand around in her underwear, then by all means she's very entitled to (up to a certain point, I'm not sure what the law says on these matters nowadays :p). But if a company thinks me so shallow as to just pay attention to their product because they shove some pretty girl in my face, then I take issue.

    Besides to me it kind of screams 'our product is so shitty we have to hide it behind booth babes!!!11!' Also, I kinda don't see the point of having them there. I went to EG to play DMC and ACIII, not to see some girl in her underwear...
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 14:34:46 44,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The company thinks plenty of people are that shallow though, and they're absolutely right.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 14:35:27 44,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And I went to the afterparty because I heard that the year before there was some girl with her tits sticking out the top of her dress, and wanted to see if it was a feature.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • kalel 11 Oct 2012 14:40:16 88,450 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @kalel If a girl wants to stand around in her underwear, then by all means she's very entitled to (up to a certain point, I'm not sure what the law says on these matters nowadays :p). But if a company thinks me so shallow as to just pay attention to their product because they shove some pretty girl in my face, then I take issue.

    Besides to me it kind of screams 'our product is so shitty we have to hide it behind booth babes!!!11!' Also, I kinda don't see the point of having them there. I went to EG to play DMC and ACIII, not to see some girl in her underwear...
    Well, every product is marketed at its target audience in a different way. There are many ways a company can lose your business by not effectively marketing to you. This isn't an issue of exploitation of women. It's just you not being accurately targeted as a consumer.

    So while I can sympathise a bit with your frustration that you don't like the way your hobby is marketed to you, I'm afraid to say that's what's going to happen if you don't fall within the key marketing demographic for your hobby.

    Simply speaking, why should games makers target your demographic, if you don't make up the core of their audience?
  • warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 14:40:34 19,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sex sells. The products will ship more units if they're being handled by someone with a massive pair of tits. Fact. Doesn't matter if the product sucks or not.

    Any argument that somehow implies these precious little cherubs turned up knowing they weren't hired to be wank-fodder for the pale of skin and low on charm is based entirely on folly. In fact it presumes a special kind of naivety upon people who are effectively professional models and insults their intelligence.

    So shame on you, Moot. And you too Avalon. How dare you make presumptions on their level of intelligence based on them seeking a career in being looked at.

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 14:41:01 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro It was actually a bug, but the devs insisted it was a feature :p
  • Moot_Point 11 Oct 2012 14:43:03 4,348 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @warlockuk Don't you mean, "Sex sells to weak minded fools"?

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 14:44:45 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kalel Maybe because we AREN'T the core audience? I mean, unexploited market and all that. I know plenty of girls that like videogames, hell, I work with quite a few. Wouldn't it make sense to aim at that market in the hopes that it will up your sales?
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 14:47:17 44,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Booth Babes (common unlock):

    Enhanced sales: +10 spotty gamersales
    Target market: +100 exposure of product
    Offensive: -5 girly gamersales

    I'd still equip it.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 14:47:44 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @warlockuk O_O When did I say that they weren't intelligent? I only said that they weren't INFORMED, as someone a few pages back posted. I have several friends who want to progress in the modelling industry and they are pretty amazing people (one speaks 5 languages, more or less fluently).
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 14:47:48 44,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @warlockuk Don't you mean, "Sex sells to weak minded fools"?
    No, I think he got it right the first time.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • GiarcYekrub 11 Oct 2012 14:48:06 3,807 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @warlockuk Don't you mean, "Sex sells to weak minded fools"?
    Hey... Looks at DOA movie DVD... guess you have a point, but I like being a weak minded fool
  • warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 14:49:10 19,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mootie... weak minded fools have money, too. They're a huge demographic. Belittle them all you want, but their money is as good as anyone's - why not milk them via their biological imperative?

    Moreover, why be a tosser because some lady might be doing a job you think she should be ashamed of?

    These girls were probably hired via an agency with strict guidelines for work and conduct, they'd not be in the habit of sending people to jobs without knowing what they're doing - bad for business. So stop being a numpty.

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 14:50:56 19,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @warlockuk O_O When did I say that they weren't intelligent? I only said that they weren't INFORMED, as someone a few pages back posted. I have several friends who want to progress in the modelling industry and they are pretty amazing people (one speaks 5 languages, more or less fluently).
    And what kind of agency sends models to these kinds of jobs uninformed? If they arrive and don't like it the agency sends someone else.

    It's not like they put an ad in Loot requesting "whores, extra languages preferable. Especially if they can say 'on my tits'".

    Did they look especially distressed?

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • Moot_Point 11 Oct 2012 14:55:13 4,348 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @warlockuk Ahh, so i am a tosser because i think women shouldn't be treated as sex objects? No, i am not gay before you say i must be for having such an opinion.

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 14:55:36 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @warlockuk Ubisoft for one.

    And are you implying that booth babes are whores?
  • kalel 11 Oct 2012 14:56:10 88,450 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @kalel Maybe because we AREN'T the core audience? I mean, unexploited market and all that. I know plenty of girls that like videogames, hell, I work with quite a few. Wouldn't it make sense to aim at that market in the hopes that it will up your sales?
    You're an audience yes, but not the core one.

    I think you're probably over-estimating the potential of the female market. Marketing is a deeply cynical industry and if people thought there was lots of money to be made from gearing the games industry towards women, they'd be doing it. This isn't an issue of men keeping their hobby for themselves. It is quite simply targeting where you can have the most impact (which is what all marketing is about).
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 14:56:20 44,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I say let the women decide. Telling what what they can or can't do with their bodies isn't liberating for them, whether it's getting them to dress up against their will, or refusing to let them dress up for cash if they want to.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 14:56:34 44,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So long as I can watch the dressing bit.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 15:04:49 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kalel I can understand that certain products have a target audience that depends on gender, but I don't think videogames should be one of them. There are many more women interested in this industry than most people realise. It's just that we are overlooked because of our gender. It's the whole 'oh girls don't like these sort of things' excuse. We are assumed to be girlfriends, sisters, mothers, wives. Never gamers in our own right.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 15:11:11
    You're still presuming that the marketers aren't doing their job correctly. Like kalel said, if they were a promising side to the market, they'd have done all they can to eke every little penny they could out of it. That's literally their job. The fact that they aren't more likely means that they're simply not a very big part of the market, rather than any Big Male Conspiracy to keep the females down.
  • mrpon 11 Oct 2012 15:13:57 29,190 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Most girls gamers look like fat blokes anyway.

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 15:15:26 19,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @warlockuk Ubisoft for one.

    And are you implying that booth babes are whores?
    Not at all. That was an example of what they don't do. I'm suggesting they don't think they're whores, which is why they don't recruit accordingly.

    As for Ubisoft, I can't comment on the ladies in question. Perhaps they hate their job or their coworkers. I can certainly appreciate that.

    Moot_Point wrote:
    @warlockuk Ahh, so i am a tosser because i think women shouldn't be treated as sex objects? No, i am not gay before you say i must be for having such an opinion.
    No, but you're clearly an idiot.

    It's a given that women shouldn't be treated as sex objects, but on a primal level that's what they are to "men". Evolution, arousal etc etc. That's why advertisers and marketing use women as a "sex object" to control men and their purchasing. It's not quite the 70s "men want her and women want to be her" attitude - not exactly objectifying women... it's controlling men. When you see it that way, it's women with the power.

    Of course, it's an unfair world, there's very few female execs and higher ups etc etc. World's shit. That doesn't mean that when a lady is hired because of her looks to look attractive on an otherwise boring stand to drum up interest some pretentious keyboard warrior should shout out how these poor weak ladies are being treated like prostitutes and need saving by some jumped-up knight in shining Khakis.

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 15:19:14 19,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @kalel I can understand that certain products have a target audience that depends on gender, but I don't think videogames should be one of them. There are many more women interested in this industry than most people realise. It's just that we are overlooked because of our gender. It's the whole 'oh girls don't like these sort of things' excuse. We are assumed to be girlfriends, sisters, mothers, wives. Never gamers in our own right.
    Sorry, that's bullshit. Or, at least, it's the sort of bullshit you hear in circles that thinks games are for kids and child molesters.

    Most of the women I know play games in some way or another - and not just my mum with *fucking* Farmville. My sister's a massive gamer, and has been since the 80s. My ex is a massive game nerd, a lot of the women I've met in Manchester are either Skyrim or out-and-out Wow dorks. There's a lot of ladies into games and are seen as gamers in their own right.

    But they're still massively outnumbered by the men. Consider how many girls you saw at the expo compared to dudes. I can only think back to last year where it was about 10 men per girl.

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 15:21:17
    Plus, you have to also look at the demographics of the booth babes at the expo itself - graphics cards and online gambling (pretty sure that's all Virgin Gaming does nowadays). Extremely male dominated industries, even moreso than gaming in general.
  • warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 15:24:18 19,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Actually, it depends on what side of gambling you're looking at. Huge female demographic, as titles like Kitty Glitter show :)

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 15:24:43 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @warlockuk I won't argue there are more men than women in the gaming world. But I don't think there are as few of us as to not be recognised as a target audience. FF.net is full of girls writing fanfiction about videogames characters. Some may have not played the games, true, but most of them have.
  • ronuds 11 Oct 2012 15:26:44 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Were there Booth Babes for The Sims or for games like COD?
  • kinky_mong 11 Oct 2012 15:26:45 10,447 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Most girls gamers look like fat blokes anyway.
    Plus all these figures claiming "nearly as many woman play games as men!" are including shitty things like Farmville to bump up the numbers.

    All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

  • Page

    of 30 First / Last

Log in or register to reply