Booth Babes and the Expo Page 18

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• Moot_Point 11 Oct 2012 13:21:16 3,882 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @LadyAvalon It is obvious, but those who have been employed are being used to sell stuff. However a woman copying a character in a game is doing it for fun. The women being exploited for financial gain should have no place in the Expo, but the Expo shouldn't turn away those who have dressed up for fun.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 13:28:05 40 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @GiarcYekrub I'm all for having someone pretty sell me stuff. I object to it being a semi-naked woman, is all. Specially when they have no idea of what they are selling, and couldn't care less about it as long as they get paid. Believe me, I prefer a free t-shirt (keyring, phone dongle etc.) over a booth babe any day.

Also the way some people treat these women, and the response to their disgusting behaviour demostrates that yes, booth babes DO cause harm.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 13:28:36 43,029 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Worth noting it's to their financial gain as well. And it's voluntary.

Have you asked them whether they wanted to do it?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 13:31:41 40 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Moot_Point Of course! As a cosplayer myself, I have to agree with this. Besides, although some cosplayers reveal a great deal of skin, there are a lot more who don't. A skimpy outfit really isn't a challenge after all :p
  • warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 13:31:57 19,126 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @LadyAvalon It is obvious, but those who have been employed are being used to sell stuff. However a woman copying a character in a game is doing it for fun. The women being exploited for financial gain should have no place in the Expo, but the Expo shouldn't turn away those who have dressed up for fun.
    So what you're saying is women shouldn't be allowed to work a job involving their looks?

Must make all those models wish they'd eaten pies and studied maths instead of spending all the time in the gym.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 13:33:28 40 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro You did see the post that said if they refused to dress like that they wouldn't get paid right? Pretty sure that means some of them at least protested.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 13:38:59 43,029 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @LeoliansBro You did see the post that said if they refused to dress like that they wouldn't get paid right? Pretty sure that means some of them at least protested.
    Why is this a problem? Again, the choice was there - they could have indeed refused to dress like that and not taken the job. The fact that they did dress like that suggests that they were prepared to for the money.

• warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 13:41:35 19,126 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    They're being hired to stand around in pants.

"Hey, want to come work for us? We'll give you 50 quid, Mass Effect 3 and supply hotpants. Here's a photo of the uniform."
    "Sure."
    "Fuck, this place is full of nerds; I'm not wearing hotpants"

I'm sure that conversation would be the sort of thing which means you need it in writing.

It's not like they're being duped or forced to sign a contract with small print that says they need to suck off Craigy in the bar.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Moot_Point 11 Oct 2012 13:42:26 3,882 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @warlockuk Yes. Especially if they are told they will not get paid unless they wear certain clothes. So in essence, they do not have a choice but to flash flesh whether they wish too or not.

================================================================================

• LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 13:43:59 43,029 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm told I don't get paid unless I do some work. OUTRAGE.

• warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 13:44:14 19,126 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't be absurd. If they don't wish to, they don't take the job.

The job is to stand around in a skimpy outfit getting your photo taken with nerds and promoting products. If they don't want to do that then why would they take the job?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Moot_Point 11 Oct 2012 13:46:59 3,882 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Because they were not told how skimpy the outfits were? Why not ask those who refused the job!

• Moot_Point 11 Oct 2012 13:48:28 3,882 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    And your bosses asked you to wear hot pants and revealing top or you wouldn't get paid? No, thought not.

• LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 13:48:46 43,029 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They answered an ad to be a booth babe.

They accepted the job offer to be a booth babe.

They turned up expecting to be a booth babe.

They also expect to be paid to be a booth babe.

So why is it so fucking surprising and why are you so outraged on their behalf that they have to dress like a booth babe? It isn't like they filled in a Nun application and put it accidentally in the wrong box.

• LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 13:49:05 43,029 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    And your bosses asked you to wear hot pants and revealing top or you wouldn't get paid? No, thought not.
    No, cretin, because I'm not a fucking booth babe.

• LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 13:51:51 43,029 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Plus they've already asked me not to, not any more.

• Dangerous_Dan 11 Oct 2012 13:52:54 2,374 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Moot_Point Eh, what? If your boss tells you to dance naked in front of your workplace or you won't get paid then you have no choice?

Yes you do have a choice. - Quit the job!
  • Moot_Point 11 Oct 2012 14:00:58 3,882 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Plus they've already asked me not to, not any more.
    Haha!

• Deckard1 11 Oct 2012 14:03:25 26,918 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What these woman were forced to do is worse than raping them.
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 14:04:09 40 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro I don't like having to say yes to overtime, but obviously I want to keep my job. Necessity and desire are two different things.
  • Deckard1 11 Oct 2012 14:05:29 26,918 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Are you actually retarded?
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 14:06:29 40 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro I don't know about the Virgin booth babes, but I do know that the people in the long-ago Child of Eden setup in Soho had NO idea they would be working with videogames. They were called for being actors (most of them). Same as the people from AC at MCM. Mmm, am I noticing a trend there, Ubisoft?
  • Moot_Point 11 Oct 2012 14:07:05 3,882 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Are you actually retarded?
    Match made in heaven?

• kalel 11 Oct 2012 14:10:08 86,067 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are those that consider booth babes to be exploitation of women against all forms of modelling? Are you suggesting that it's essentially immoral to make a living out of your looks?
  • Zizoo 11 Oct 2012 14:11:31 8,085 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wanted to be a stripper, but I couldn't believe it when they told me that I had to take my clothing off!
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 14:18:12 40 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kalel No, although I am against the canon for what is considered beauty on a catwalk.

I would just rather have someone who knows what they are talking about when trying to sell me something, than someone who is just trying to get my attention by being half naked.

The same way that if I ever wanted an Apple product, I would rather talk to one of the experts in store (I forget the name they give them, sorry) than to David Beckham (for example).
  • GiarcYekrub 11 Oct 2012 14:21:10 3,653 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If I did go next year I'm tempted to go in fancy dress/cosplay as Lara Croft in protest to the lack of Booth Babes
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 14:22:48 43,029 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And yet if a company sold more of their product by having half naked women around, irrespective of whether that marketing strategy works on you, are you going to insist that they go away because you are far more outraged on their behalf than they are?

Actors wearing costumes, whatever next?

• kalel 11 Oct 2012 14:23:41 86,067 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @kalel No, although I am against the canon for what is considered beauty on a catwalk.

I would just rather have someone who knows what they are talking about when trying to sell me something, than someone who is just trying to get my attention by being half naked.

The same way that if I ever wanted an Apple product, I would rather talk to one of the experts in store (I forget the name they give them, sorry) than to David Beckham (for example).
    I don't have any issue with not having booth babes at games shows. In the same way that a magazine has every right to decide whether to plaster half naked women all over it, EG have every right not to have booth babes. It's their show. It can be whatever they want it to be.

However, I don't understand what the broader issue is with booth babes, or why it's exploitation. They would expect to have to stand around half naked at shows, because that's what their job is. They chose to do that. We're not talking about eastern European refugees who've been forced into the sex trade for fear of being deported. We're talking about Essex girls whose life ambition is to get paid for standing around in their underwear. I don't see the issue or how they're being exploited.
  • Page

of 30 First / Last