Booth Babes and the Expo Page 7

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• dreamsagency 3 Oct 2012 17:47:14 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think its a real shame as the majority of visitors are young males who obviously love computer games and also love girls, it just makes the whole day even more enjoyable.

I don't think having girls at the event will mean your unlikely to play any of the games or will effect your computer game/accessory wish list!

You would not expect the Autosport exhibition organisers to ban promo girls as they are taking the attention away from the cars! Its one of those things that adds to the experience. Computer games & girls, Cars & girls, drink & girls, this all goes hand in hand.

Bottom line, don't ban promo girls, just maybe ask the companies to tone down the clothing (Virgin).

Thanks for reading.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Oct 2012 17:47:31 37,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    What if we redress the balance, so to speak? Keep the booth babes but include some booth hunks for the girls? Like the guy on the Mountain Dew station, he was built like Marcus Fenix
    Cosplay?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• dreamsagency 3 Oct 2012 17:51:33 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago

Edited by dreamsagency at 17:52:39 03-10-2012
  • morriss 3 Oct 2012 17:51:50 70,911 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Isn't the main, creative drive behind videogames the imaginings of the male psyche? Why do they all of a sudden have to reign themselves in because they now have a wider audience? No laws are being broken and no-one is being forced to participate.

This booth-babe/sexism in gaming argument is the most reactionary claptrap I've witness in agaes.

Girls, get behind your PCs, do some coding courses, make some games. Then your characters can look how you want them to. If you feel you are being objectified by a certain media, don't participate in it. Actually vote with your wallet and encourage others to do the same, or again, go and make some games. Lesson number one in life is: You can't have your cake and eat it.

No private industry has any obligation to educate its customers. It's called capitalism. I thought we were all in favour?

/conservative dad
  • ibenam 3 Oct 2012 18:14:21 1,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ive placed a tenner down at william hill this thread gets more comments than the mgs 4 review.

/prepares for windfall.
  • Chopsen 3 Oct 2012 18:15:27 15,713 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With age comes the rationalization of one's basest desires and most objectionable opinions as something for someone else to come to terms with and act accordingly, and not something to be considered an issue for one's own personal development.

Winky smiley face.

Edited by Chopsen at 18:15:55 03-10-2012
  • Sid-Nice 3 Oct 2012 18:18:53 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mowgli That's got to be a bloke.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Afiddes 3 Oct 2012 18:28:01 1,164 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It honestly didn't bother me that there were booth girls to be honest when I saw them I just shook my head and went back to queuing for the game I was waiting to play

What bothered me was the fact people were actually using thier qr code on thier arse seriously are there really people that desperate for attention?

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• Chopsen 3 Oct 2012 18:28:35 15,713 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Better QR codes than scratch and sniff.
  • Afiddes 3 Oct 2012 18:29:38 1,164 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just noticed I was being so honest I felt the need to tell you twice in one post I do apologise

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• WoodenSpoon 3 Oct 2012 18:30:43 12,275 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've never been to an expo, nor do I have any intention of going to one, but I'd totally get rid of booth babes. Cringey, pathetic, teen nerd bollocks.
  • Dr.Haggard 3 Oct 2012 18:43:12 4,140 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dreamsagency wrote:
    I think its a real shame as the majority of visitors are young males who obviously love computer games and also love girls, it just makes the whole day even more enjoyable.

I don't think having girls at the event will mean your unlikely to play any of the games or will effect your computer game/accessory wish list!

You would not expect the Autosport exhibition organisers to ban promo girls as they are taking the attention away from the cars! Its one of those things that adds to the experience. Computer games & girls, Cars & girls, drink & girls, this all goes hand in hand.

Bottom line, don't ban promo girls, just maybe ask the companies to tone down the clothing (Virgin).

Thanks for reading.
    Not that you have any bias on the matter.
  • Lukus 3 Oct 2012 18:48:49 18,996 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought we'd got to a stage in western culture where no one really blinked an eye at near-nudity or the sexualisation of material things. Everything has scantily clad women in it these days. No one cares, surely? Other than those with little else to care about or take up their time.
    Booth Babes, their state of attire and what they do, compared to the average pop video for instance, is/are incredibly tame.

Paintings & Photographs

• Syrette 3 Oct 2012 19:01:00 43,061 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bertie wrote:
    I think perhaps I ought to be dressed up in the place of booth babes next year.
    Yes, you and several of your clones Bertie.

• SpinkyMinky 3 Oct 2012 19:22:51 1 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Don't be so ridiculously prudish. There's nothing wrong with a bit of innocent smut for those that want it, just give straight girls something to look at too. Those who don't care for it, don't look. Duh.
  • Jonny_n00bhead 3 Oct 2012 19:26:55 20 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I was just wondering, what if an attendee was to wear a rather revealing cosplay? Will they be ejected from the building?
  • Moshiicake 3 Oct 2012 19:31:40 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I didn't really want to get involved in this debate, but there just seems to be some misconceptions floating around here. I don't intend to speak on behalf of all women here; just as someone who's witnessed all sorts of ridiculous shit that women have to put up with both in and out of the gaming industry.

Also have removed naughty words but apologies if any have slipped through.

Booth babes are a stupid idea because:

They create an unwelcoming environment to women. By parading around in too-tiny hotpants and skyscraper stilettos and inviting people to photograph their arse you are saying, "Women are fair game; if they're hot or skimpily-dressed, take photos of them without asking! You won't come across as creepy, we promise." I'm horribly reminded of girlfriend revenge sites, or those weird old men at TGS taking upskirts of cosplayers.

They imply that gaming is a male-only hobby. We know this isn't true, although the presence of women has at-best been underexposed until recent years. We're still trying to shake off the "girl gamer" or "sexy nerd" stereotypes that seem to spring up whenever a woman starts to talk about videogames, although I suppose it's better than being asked, "You play games, what like The Sims yeh?"
    The idea that the booth babes were aimed at male demographics was stupid. Virgin Gaming offers competitive game tournaments across many titles. Since when has competitive gaming been exclusive to men and boys? I mean, sure XBL seems to be populated with 12-year-old boys most of the time, but really all that means is that they're the most vocal people on the service.
    nVidia was the other company I noticed with booth babes and I was a little disappointed in that too. I know they've done it before but really, graphic cards? Ooh, these chips are so sexy RUB YOUR YAMS ALL OVER MY MOTHERBOARD i just don't get it

It is not about the children. I honestly couldn't give a damn what someone's precious ickle Timmy sees. It is the responsibility of the parent to judge whether or not somewhere will be a good environment for that child, and I do not believe seeing a little flesh will harm them. Seeing some legs and boobs is not repulsive because everyone has more or less the same junk under their clothes anyway, and I do not think/know if children would be upset about this in the same way teen/adult women are. I would love to hear what a parent says abut this though, as obviously some children may have seen or heard things that aren't age appropriate.

Companies that use booth babes think you, the male gamer, are an idiot. You are literally so thick, says the company, that you will buy a game based on how sexy the females standing around looking bored are. Obviously you are some sad, lonely neckbeard who has never even seen a women IRL, let alone spoken to one! Maybe if they lean in extra-close you'll get to SMELL them. A REAL GIRL. Not like that dakimakura you have at home. Go on, spring for the 2gb card. You will definitely see some sexy lady parts if you buy that.
    Does that not make you feel patronised?
  • PhoenixFlames 3 Oct 2012 19:40:10 8,899 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Erm...what's the problem with half naked women? Pics or it didn't happen.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• jonsaan 3 Oct 2012 19:46:00 25,326 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How do some of the more vocal posters in this thread cope with watching women's tennis at wimbledon for instance? Does every shot fill you with rage and injustice?

Booth babes are a bit silly, much like Hooters 'restaurants' but If people are dressing as characters from a game then I can't see the problem.

FCUTA!

• brokenkey 3 Oct 2012 19:46:45 6,944 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    rauper wrote:
    It was Virgin Gaming not Virgin Media, BTW.
    Maybe if I had scanned the QR codes on their arses I would have realised!
    A hard selling Virgin Media lady representative asked me "if there was anything [she] could do for me that would make [me] sign up today?". I quickly made my excuses and left.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Whizzo 3 Oct 2012 19:50:24 43,033 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    How do some of the more vocal posters in this thread cope with watching women's tennis at wimbledon for instance? Does every shot fill you with rage and injustice?
    Yes it does, the grunting and shrieking from some of the women on the tour is fucking annoying.

And as for Hooters, people can choose whether or not they want to go in Hooters, the very first thing everyone saw on the Thursday morning at the Expo was the Virgin Gaming girls.

Edited by Whizzo at 19:51:51 03-10-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• neilka 3 Oct 2012 19:50:45 15,641 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    rauper wrote:
    It was Virgin Gaming not Virgin Media, BTW.
    Maybe if I had scanned the QR codes on their arses I would have realised!
    A hard selling Virgin Media lady representative asked me "if there was anything [she] could do for me that would make [me] sign up today?". I quickly made my excuses and left.
    This is your first time writing erotic fiction isn't it?
  • Dr.Haggard 3 Oct 2012 19:51:31 4,140 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Jonny_n00bhead 3 Oct 2012 19:55:28 20 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @PhoenixFlames Problem is that it gives off the wrong message, I think it's just a case that there was a minority of the attendees that took things a little too far over the past weekend.

I, myself, was working as an event volunteer on the Thursday of the expo, I was a little surprised to see some of the girls from Virgin Media walking around in spandex top and hotpants, but the one time I had walked past them, there was a group of post-teenage males (I could say want they look like, but let's not make this a racism issue) who thought it would of been OK to squeeze the girls rear's while posing for photos with them.

From an organiser's point of view, I can see why that sort of behaviour cannot be tolerated.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Oct 2012 20:01:56 43,227 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Show me a message that booth babes give off that's inappropriate and I'll show you ten japanese games objectifying barely legal girls, complete with nudge nudge wink wink EG review quotes.

Hey, it's raup's show. Just seems unusually heavy handed is all.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• disusedgenius 3 Oct 2012 20:05:33 5,205 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It kinda has to be, doesn't it? If that's the tone of show they're going for you can't exactly go halfway with it.
  • Jonny_n00bhead 3 Oct 2012 20:05:57 20 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @LeoliansBro It's hard to compare the Eurogamer Expo to any show that happens in Japan, it's a completely different culture.

Especially when over there, taking pics of 6-8 year old cosplayers is fine, but over here, it's a very touchy issue.

It's kind of annoying being British/European sometimes, but there's not a lot we can do about it.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Oct 2012 20:06:41 43,227 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm talking about the games.

• Mr_Sleep 3 Oct 2012 20:06:44 16,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @mosshiicake

I agree with most everything you posted but you should have left the naughty words in.

You are a factory of sadness.

• LeoliansBro 3 Oct 2012 20:07:12 43,227 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That are released in Europe.

• Page

of 30 First / Last