NiGHTS into Dreams... HD

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • hypoBla5t 3 Oct 2012 07:53:17 1,365 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    http://www.sega.com/games/nights-into-dreams/

Well this is out on XBLA on Friday and was apparently out on PSN yesterday so I'll happily get this one started.

Has to be one of if not my favourite game ever, and one I genuinely thought I'd never play again after my Saturn died.

No one does fan service like SEGA and no-one made games like SEGA and Sonic Team in the 90s and early noughties.

In short: can't wait to get my hands on this again!!
  • LeSpank 3 Oct 2012 08:29:04 483 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In the night. Dream delight. I want to see you standing theeeeere.

Fantastic game and I read elsewhere that you can unlock Xmas Nights. Please be true.

Also Sega... if you're now in to porting games from the PS2 please do Sega Rally 1995 and Virtua Racing Flat Out!
  • Deleted user 3 October 2012 08:40:39
    I have fond memories of getting Xmas Nights free with Sega Saturn Magazine.

Loved the soundtrack to this, will most likely buy to hear that again.
  • gelf 3 Oct 2012 09:15:53 188 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If they haven't messed this up I'll be getting it. Only ever played the Christsmas version on my Saturn but I played that one level to death.

I hope they've kept in the system clock level appearance changes, or at least allow a way to access them.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2012 09:50:30
    One of my fav games, one of the few I dedicated time to get every level with a perfect score. Will prob not get it though, most likely ruin the beautiful memories.
  • hypoBla5t 3 Oct 2012 13:04:38 1,365 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's a good point but I'm not sure I can resist tbh. It's like meeting your hero, you could end up disappointed but its tought to turn down.

I need it just for the soundtrack really. Hardcore gaming under bright blue skies...
  • Gareth 5 Oct 2012 09:35:23 5 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bought this on PSN last night. Really awesome HD upgrade, it plays really well. Only had time to play one level so far but loving it.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 09:39:47
    I'll be downloading the trial tonight and if it doesn't stomp all over my nostalgia I'm sure to grab it.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Oct 2012 09:57:14 37,392 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played this and it reminded me... "Oh yeah, this wasn't all that good to begin with". And time has not been kind.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Progguitarist 5 Oct 2012 10:40:50 10,401 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah, it was awesome.

9/10 on the front page.
  • LeSpank 5 Oct 2012 10:52:11 483 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    I played this and it reminded me... "Oh yeah, this wasn't all that good to begin with". And time has not been kind.
    Obviously a Sega Saturn game isn't going to look great, even with a HD makeover. It was and is a good game though.
  • Gareth 5 Oct 2012 11:39:39 5 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @MrTomFTW I think this has a huge nostalgia points for a lot of people, (me included). I think it's the best thing to ever come out of Sonic Team and I loved playing it when I was younger.

I know a few people who played it for about 5 minutes and had no idea what was happening and never liked it.
  • Syrette 5 Oct 2012 21:38:58 43,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone else unable to get the trial off of XBL?

• Deleted user 5 October 2012 21:51:49
    Yes. It's not in the new games section and when I try to select it in the library it comes up with an error message.

Balls.
  • disusedgenius 5 Oct 2012 21:56:41 5,229 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I remember it getting much better when you treat it as a point-scoring game, before then it can be a little... meandering! One of those old-school type games which kinda presumes you'll be playing it to death no matter what.

I still have no idea why they bothered with the 3D platformer bits with the kids either!
  • hypoBla5t 5 Oct 2012 22:10:45 1,365 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had a weird error and stuff while trying to purchase - in the end just bought it from Xbox.com (did it on my phone no problems if anyone's worried about that). Then when I turned my Xbox on it started downloading. Hefty 2 gig though.
  • Syrette 5 Oct 2012 22:11:18 43,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @AdamAsunder

No luck here either, just an option to buy the full title

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/NiGHTS-into-dreams/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258411268?noSplash=1

• barchetta 5 Oct 2012 22:13:20 1,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is this an oddball XBLA (release day noted) that doesn't have a trial option - I see you can buy via website (not at my 360 at the moment) but I was hoping for a chance to test it on my kids before purchase.

Maybe it is classed as a Game on Demand - though it does indeed look to be in the Arcade section of the site.
  • Syrette 5 Oct 2012 22:38:44 43,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, Sonic Adventure 2 came out today as well and that's working alright now.

Word on the matter from a Sega man - https://twitter.com/frostman007/status/254317166843801601

For those trying to download NiGHTS or Sonic Adventure 2 on XBLA, we are aware of the problem. Microsoft is looking into the issue now.

• Deleted user 5 October 2012 22:47:39
    Righto lads, I'll try to grab it on the ol' computer then. Cheers.
  • monkehhh 5 Oct 2012 23:04:10 3,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Similar statement from the Trials Evolution guys - seems that Live is fucking up.
  • Deleted user 6 October 2012 12:31:45
    Yeah, I figured the Trials Evo DLC was supposed to be out as well.

Anyway, I finally managed to download this and what beautiful nostalgia.

Then I played it and I have to say it feels off with the xbox pad. Like the review said this had its own bespoke pad back in the day which was built with the looping in mind.

I've got a Razor Onza TE so I think stiffening the left stick is as close to a work around as it gets.

In regards to the game itself, I can see why a lot of people playing this for the first time would be turned off, in an age of homogenised games and hand holding this is as abstract as it comes. Luckily after a couple of goes it all came flooding back to me. I can see it being extremely bewildering for newcomers though.

Despite the control issues i think this represents Sonic Team's finest work and it's a damn tragedy that their most interesting games came out on a console that most people passed on.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 12:33:06 06-10-2012
  • hypoBla5t 6 Oct 2012 12:39:22 1,365 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    First impression was a bit cool from me but having had a decent session this morning I was warped back to being 11 years old again. Rediscovering this shows me how far both games and I have come since the Saturn days and though we've gained a lot, we've lost a lot as well.

I will be sessioning the hell out of this trying to beat my own best scores and get my name up there on the leaderboards. The apparent simplicity hides a ridiculous amount of depth.

How do I get onto the Christmas NiGHTS stage by the way?
  • Deleted user 6 October 2012 12:41:34
    At a guess I'd say you have to complete the game.
  • Dave_McCoy 8 Oct 2012 11:18:21 2,771 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love NiGHTS but how the hell did they manage to get 8 way control out of the analogue stick? The controller it came with was really just an analogue stick, I'm not sure why they couldn't recreate the control you got.

I'm still glad I have it but I can't get anywhere near the links I used to get due to the jerky movement. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.
  • hypoBla5t 13 Oct 2012 16:37:35 1,365 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I love it when these SEGA re-releases get online leaderboards. As there's so few people who buy them, any small amount of dedication (eg. my 232XXX score on Splash Garden) gets me inside the world top 100.

Loving the old-school score attack, you sometimes get so in the zone and post an absolute monster.
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 20:21:51
    Still loving this despite the controls being just that bit off. I've unlocked both the ???????????s but I can't see any of the stuff from Christmas Nights where you could play as Sonic. I unlocked some Nightopian thing but I have no idea what that's all about.

I just had a gander at the achievement list and there's one for 100g for paralooping one of the boss' tail. Anyone managed this?
  • LeSpank 13 Oct 2012 20:58:32 483 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @AdamAsunder I think they left out a lot of the content from Saturn Xmas Nights.

Paralooping gilwig's (first boss) in one go is absolutely rock hard! Good luck with that one.
  • Dave_McCoy 13 Oct 2012 21:09:31 2,771 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @AdamAsunder I managed to get it last night after a few shandys. Pure luck though probably. Nice to see the Saturn skills haven't left me. I was about 20 something in one of the leader boards.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous