Ever regret a promotion?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • von_Doll 1 Oct 2012 19:05:26 2,104 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, I've been busted up the chain at work.

More responsibility, more hassle, probably more stress. Earlier starts and later finishes. The payoff in theory is more ker-ching, but they haven't put a number on it; basically, I'll remain on my existing contract and receive a 'substitution', or a supplement in my pay, the amount which neither my direct manager, his boss nor the bods at the HR department can 'confirm'.

But I'm beginning to suspect it won't be enough to make up for the fact I really enjoyed my job as it was. No stress, no hassle, early starts but early finishes.

I'm away on training this week, but it looks like I'm about to be thrown in the deep end next week when I get back. It's a bit pussy, I know, but I guess I feel like I was pressured into it in a "Oh, but you're worth so much more to us than a simple blah-blah-blah, you'd be great as a blah-blah-blah."

Anyway, yeah, get a blog, but seriously, anyone else take a promotion and regret it? What did you do?
  • RyanDS 1 Oct 2012 19:11:04 9,058 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First rule of work. All pay etc is in writing otherwise no deal.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 19:14:18
    Second rule of work: no touching of the bosses daughter on her work experience week
  • jonsaan 1 Oct 2012 19:19:44 25,326 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you haven't received an ammended contract to sign then you really haven't been promoted. Have there been any other recognised primotions of late as a matter of interest?
    Did you interview for this new position and was it advertised internally, externally or both?

FCUTA!

• THFourteen 1 Oct 2012 19:20:04 32,857 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Promotions make you more marketable when you decide to leave, well up until you reach a level high enough when youre too expensive to hire.

Both times ive been promoted in my company ive had bugger all pay rise. But my CV looks nice with VP on it instead of gimp.
  • von_Doll 1 Oct 2012 19:34:38 2,104 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    If you haven't received an ammended contract to sign then you really haven't been promoted. Have there been any other recognised primotions of late as a matter of interest?
    Did you interview for this new position and was it advertised internally, externally or both?
    I was interviewed by the Big Cheese, and the position was only open to internal applications. As far as other promotions, I'm actually the third person to step into these shoes in as many months, as both my predecessors have been flung up the ladder very quickly due to retirement/others leaving the company.

I guess my issue is that I've only ever seen my time at this company as 'treading water', and the farther you go, the deeper you sink, as they say.

Edited by von_Doll at 19:36:06 01-10-2012
  • PhoenixFlames 1 Oct 2012 19:34:47 8,899 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As mentioned, no confirmed monies and contract then no deal.

Boss: "I'd like you to take on some extra responsibility and change your job role to blah blah blah."

You: "How much?"

The end.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• von_Doll 1 Oct 2012 19:35:36 2,104 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Promotions make you more marketable when you decide to leave, well up until you reach a level high enough when youre too expensive to hire.

Both times ive been promoted in my company ive had bugger all pay rise. But my CV looks nice with VP on it instead of gimp.
    This is true.
  • lordofthedunce 1 Oct 2012 20:47:08 375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Promotions are good if you get a proper pay rise. Often it's a convenient move for the employer and employee.
    I was perfectly (un)happy in a job for two years after one reasonable promotion. I was then promoted again and I found out I was getting 3k less than my predecessor. So I fucked the whole thing off and left the country.

Edit: accidental post...

It wasn't that drastic, but it made me look at what I was doing. Followed a dream instead.

Edited by lordofthedunce at 20:51:00 01-10-2012
  • Bremenacht 1 Oct 2012 20:55:13 17,613 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    von_Doll wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

This is true.
    Only good if you intend to move on though. Otherwise it's worthless.

You've got to be a bit mercenary about these things really.
  • jonsaan 1 Oct 2012 21:30:04 25,326 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not about the money really though. It's about the title and terms and conditions. There has to be something in it for you, otherwise what does it mean? Share options? Bonus? If it comes with no viaible trappings then it sounds like a shafting to me.

However, you know the company. I'm sure you know how things work there. As an outsider it seems odd.

Many years ago I went from being a regular IT staff member to being the manager. I got a pay rise and an ammended contract.

FCUTA!

• mrpon 1 Oct 2012 21:43:59 28,437 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That Dominoes Stuffed Crust 2 for 1.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• elstoof 1 Oct 2012 21:45:44 6,610 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Suck it up and accept this job is your life now, and your ska punk band is never going to famous so you'll never be able to leave.
  • skuzzbag 1 Oct 2012 21:49:01 5,636 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds like carrot and stick management. Always the promise of good things to come just as soon as it can be arranged. No committing from your line manager about where and when though. Just extra work, lots more expectation and no respect.
  • Salaman 2 Oct 2012 09:20:05 18,863 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find it really odd that they just expect you to take on a new job and they acknowledge that this entitles you to more pay but they can't/won't confirm this in any way.

From my experience, you have two options. You either go along with it as you seem to be doing or you kick up a fuss. Any time I've seen anyone kick up a fuss over these sort of things, it's gone quite well for them.

You look at it from the outside and think "man... I'd probably sort of gone along with them and look at them making a big deal out of it. Although rightly so". Then suddenly HR and the Managers magically manage to put something on paper or manage to find some budget or are able to make an exception on some rule and the person gets what they want.

The moral I guess is: it's not on, tell them so and get stroppy.
  • THFourteen 2 Oct 2012 09:34:49 32,857 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:Only good if you intend to move on though. Otherwise it's worthless.

You've got to be a bit mercenary about these things really.
    Depends what industry you work in. You never know whats around the corner and even if you don't intend to leave something could happen and you could find yourself out of work.

The way i see it, most companies are mercenary about getting rid of staff when it suits them, so i dont think staff should hold TOO much loyalty to where they work.

having said that i am happy in my company and have been here over 5 years and no intention of leaving.

but thats not to say a time won't come where they see no more use for me and kick me out.

thats life.
  • Blakester 2 Oct 2012 10:27:37 3,573 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In my experience promotions are rarely about the extra cash, and more about the status and impact it has on your CV.

Internal promotions are much better for the company because they don't have to fork out on recruitment fees, and the employee will often settle for a much lower wage than an external candidate. They can convince you it's in your best interest to start with a small raise until you settle into the role.

The only way to get a big raise is to leave for another job, or get a job offer and hold your current firm to ransom. The latter is obviously risky and you can only really do it once.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Salaman 2 Oct 2012 11:07:51 18,863 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only promotion I personally regret is that "BUY NOW" offer at the supermarket last week. So sick.
  • mcmonkeyplc 2 Oct 2012 11:21:15 39,384 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    von_Doll wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

This is true.
    Yup, also you can use it as leverage as to why you are leaving.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Kanjin 2 Oct 2012 12:24:51 1,052 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It might be worth looking at how much other companies are paying for people with your job. Then you have a reference point where you can say: here's what I want to be paid. And if they don't like it, you can always start applying elsewhere.
  • SClaw 2 Oct 2012 16:28:13 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A word of caution; having a better title does not necessarily make you more employable. It all depends on your circumstances (age, time in career, education). For example, if you’re twenty-nothing and suddenly get promoted to “manager” after working there two weeks it’s not going to mean a damn thing to the next HR bod who reads your CV.

I’ve had this myself. Seven years at a company, chewing my way up the chain but with absolutely no qualifications and relatively young (because I didn’t piss away my best years going to college and uni). I move on and every recruiter I see tells me my CV is “unrealistic”. Wha… what? What?

Recruitment is like alchemy, not science.
  • kalel 2 Oct 2012 16:32:41 86,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

True to an extent, although they'll still want to know your salary at your next job interview, and they'll probably read more into that than whatever your job title is.

The reality is that your salary should reflect your value to your employer. Yes, all employers will do their best to squeeze that as much as possible, but they'll also pay you what you're really worth if they need to.

Every situation needs to be looked at on its own merits, but I'd say to the OP that he should try and put some lines in the sand regarding when and how he gets paid what he should. It is not a good thing for your career to be paid out of line with your role.
  • kalel 2 Oct 2012 16:34:04 86,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    The only way to get a big raise is to leave for another job, or get a job offer and hold your current firm to ransom. The latter is obviously risky and you can only really do it once.
    Not really. I've done it twice now and counting. The tric is to always get a job you'd be prepared to take, and then there's no risk, and you're in a win-win.
  • Blakester 2 Oct 2012 16:42:53 3,573 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    Not really. I've done it twice now and counting. The tric is to always get a job you'd be prepared to take, and then there's no risk, and you're in a win-win.
    Your boss must dread every time you schedule a one to one :D

I'm obviously aware you can do it more than once, but personally I think it's tough unless you have an amazing relationship with your manager, and they only care about your personal well-being.

There's a certain amount of trust lost when you threaten to leave a company, and you can bet your life it'll be instantly remembered at any point they need to look for cost efficiencies.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• kalel 2 Oct 2012 16:56:32 86,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    Your boss must dread every time you schedule a one to one :D

I'm obviously aware you can do it more than once, but personally I think it's tough unless you have an amazing relationship with your manager, and they only care about your personal well-being.

There's a certain amount of trust lost when you threaten to leave a company, and you can bet your life it'll be instantly remembered at any point they need to look for cost efficiencies.
    I dunno, it all depends on context. I'm broadly speaking very loyal to my company and they know it, but at the same time they also know I'm ambitious and have responsibilities (kid, mortgage etc). I don't take the piss with my wage demands but twice now other job opportunities have presented themselves, and both times I've had a fairly frank chat with my employers about them, and both times I've got a pay rise to keep me. I've also survived three quite significant mass redundancies at my place so I don't think they're looking to get rid of me.

Context is again key though. Yes, I have good relationships with my employers plus my specific role is quite niche so probably not easily replaceable. But this is my point. You have to negotiate according to your position. If you know your value is not being represented in your salary it's a) totally fair to address that, and b) totally reasonable to look elsewhere. No employer can ever reasonably expect an employee to tolerate being underpaid.
  • KayJay 2 Oct 2012 17:00:39 5,287 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This has got "Team Leader" written all over it...
  • morriss 2 Oct 2012 17:01:32 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    von_Doll wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

This is true.
    Working all hours for comparatively low pay just because it looks good on a CV? Seriously? How wide is your arsehole? :)
  • morriss 2 Oct 2012 17:02:57 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    You have to negotiate according to your position. If you know your value is not being represented in your salary it's a) totally fair to address that, and b) totally reasonable to look elsewhere. No employer can ever reasonably expect an employee to tolerate being underpaid.

The End.
  • KayJay 2 Oct 2012 17:04:36 5,287 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Assistant Manager"

"Assistant to the Manager"

/Keenan

Edited by KayJay at 17:06:44 02-10-2012
  • von_Doll 2 Oct 2012 17:33:18 2,104 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    KayJay wrote:
    This has got "Team Leader" written all over it...
    Ha, kinda does.

But no, less about making sure you get your pizza piping hot, more about making sure all those pre-orders you ordered from ShopTo get there on time and unmolested.

Well, the company that is, not the job specification.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous