Have you ever listed Video Games in your interests part of you C.V Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• graysonavich 1 Oct 2012 16:22:09 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cut out the middle mumbo jumbo and attach pictures of yourself dressed as your favourite video game character.
  • mrpon 1 Oct 2012 16:22:36 28,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like to ask for a BMI from any potential candidates. Helps me narrow it down. We had a chair collapse once, true story.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• ecureuil 1 Oct 2012 16:23:38 76,480 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really depends what job you're going for, doesn't it? I have it listed on my CV. The only times I've been asked about my interests are if they want to know if my hobbies could affect my ability to come in to work. I listed football once. They didn't care that I liked football, all they cared about was if my interest in football would prevent me working weekends if they needed me. Video games have always gone down well, because (they assume) people who like videogames are more likely to work whenever needed, whereas if you like football there's more chance you'll turn down overtime because you have a game.
  • Chopsen 1 Oct 2012 16:24:21 15,699 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do, indirectly. I sort of mention I'm interested in all things technological, right next to what I like to do for entertainment (of which I'm tried to mention some vaguely extroverted examples, like gigs, and live comedy). If you're a gamer, you'd probably read it as me saying I'm a gamer. If you're not, you'd probably read it as if I'm a geek.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 16:24:47
    Agree with what was said earlier. I would leave out an interests section altogether nowadays.

Its your experience / qualifications that will get you an interview.

If you do want to include your interests I wouldnt include videogames. Some people still see it with a certain stigma.
  • Mr-Brett 1 Oct 2012 16:25:08 12,723 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I have it on mine, but I work in development, the very people I'm pitching myself to are also likely to be gamers.

I don't see why it should be any different to including other hobbies, though. Why should it be worse to like video games than to have an interest in football, say? Nobody would sneer at you for playing golf.
    I might but then I'm an asshole :)

Portable view - Never forget.

• Chopsen 1 Oct 2012 16:32:27 15,699 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    Its your experience / qualifications that will get you an interview.
    Again I think it depends.

We've recruited for jobs which are quite clear-cut in the training and qualifications required, so the applications tend to be a bit identikit. It was only the more personal things that helped distinguish one from any of the 10 or so others which were up for the job (out of the 30 or so applicants when the obvious garbage was declined).

Having said that, the last CV I wrote (about a month ago) was one side of A4, with no personal interests mentioned at all.
  • disusedgenius 1 Oct 2012 16:34:11 5,195 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In a lot of creative fields (which is what I presume this guy is going for) it's also usually more showreel/not being a dick anyway.

Edited by disusedgenius at 16:34:35 01-10-2012
  • kalel 1 Oct 2012 16:35:05 86,242 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Every single job requires a different approach to your CV. It's impossible to say what should and shouldn't be on a CV without knowing what the very specific job role is.

Personal interests are definitely more important for more junior level jobs though. Gaming could well be one if that was something that might be of interest - creative industries etc.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 16:41:40
    ecureuil wrote:
    Really depends what job you're going for, doesn't it? I have it listed on my CV. The only times I've been asked about my interests are if they want to know if my hobbies could affect my ability to come in to work. I listed football once. They didn't care that I liked football, all they cared about was if my interest in football would prevent me working weekends if they needed me. Video games have always gone down well, because (they assume) people who like videogames are more likely to work whenever needed, whereas if you like football there's more chance you'll turn down overtime because you have a game.
    The only impressive thing about this is how you have managed to convince yourself of it!
  • jonsaan 1 Oct 2012 16:45:33 25,326 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I find that people who hate games make rubbish IT staff.

FCUTA!

• DaM 1 Oct 2012 16:47:48 12,884 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Maybe put your gamer score on your cv, that would impress them! If that fails mention your kd ratio on mw3
    Even better, link to it with a QR code - they'll love that. Shows initiative.
  • the_dudefather 1 Oct 2012 16:48:04 9,177 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At my old job we got a CV which didn't have any prior job experience, but told us about his World of Warcraft guild managing duties in great detail

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• JuanKerr 1 Oct 2012 16:48:12 36,192 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like wanking but I certainly don't put that on my CV.
  • nickthegun 1 Oct 2012 16:51:47 58,782 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again, that would probably depend on what job you were going for.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• JuanKerr 1 Oct 2012 16:54:41 36,192 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good point.
  • Chopsen 1 Oct 2012 16:55:35 15,699 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    At my old job we got a CV which didn't have any prior job experience, but told us about his World of Warcraft guild managing duties in great detail
    And did he get the job?
  • Dante_Cubit 1 Oct 2012 16:57:47 1,874 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The purpose of a CV is to get you a job and not for you to defend a hobby that ignorant people sometimes perceive as anti-social. If there isn't a very clear indication that it is an asset then I would put something more generic. Interests are more likely to rule you out than get you shortlisted (but a good hiring person will probably just ignore them).

If you get the job and they don't like you playing games then fuck them. It's too late. Or a question for the tribunal...
  • Dante_Cubit 1 Oct 2012 16:58:53 1,874 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    the_dudefather wrote:
    And did he get the job?
    He is chancellor of the exchequer.
  • Chopsen 1 Oct 2012 17:02:40 15,699 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Idiots! They should have given it to the guy who plays Civ!
  • Lukus 1 Oct 2012 17:10:44 18,996 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got two CVs, a detailed one which is two sides and a(n even more) condensed version. Anything extra you want to say can go in the covering letter. Plus, the two general CVs get tinkering specific to any job I've applied for, particularly if it's one I'm genuinely interested in.

A friend of mine is adamant he can get an interview for most jobs, just by ticking all the boxes on his CV that are mentioned in the job's advert.

Paintings & Photographs

• nickthegun 1 Oct 2012 17:15:34 58,782 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats what I do. Ive got three core CVs and they all get twisted to fit the job.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• disusedgenius 1 Oct 2012 17:15:48 5,195 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He gets an interview for a job by showing on his CV that he's qualified for said job, you say? :)
  • JuanKerr 1 Oct 2012 17:18:49 36,192 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember helping in the recruitment process at my previous job and one bloke added: 'And mine's a pint of Stella' at the end of his covering letter.

Amazingly, it worked and we gave him the job!

Not really - his CV went straight in the bin.
  • Lukus 1 Oct 2012 17:19:37 18,996 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    He gets an interview for a job by showing on his CV that he's qualified for said job, you say? :)
    Haha, basically he reckons he can get an interview for any job, simply by playing the system and listing a set of buzzwords they supposedly check off during the keep/chuck process.

Paintings & Photographs

• mrpon 1 Oct 2012 17:22:35 28,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doesn't he look a bit of a tit come the interview?

• Lukus 1 Oct 2012 17:29:18 18,996 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He reckons he's really good at interviews too. He's currently unemployed.

Paintings & Photographs

• mrpon 1 Oct 2012 17:30:57 28,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

• kinky_mong 1 Oct 2012 18:13:46 9,941 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't even mention interests on a CV, it takes up valuable room on a CV where I could be talking about experience relevant to the role I'm applying for.

However in the interview for my current job they asked what my interests were and I did include gaming, and my MD proceeded to ask what I was playing (Uncharted 3 at the time).

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Murbal 1 Oct 2012 18:33:10 21,920 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OLD :-)

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/50072
  • Page

of 4 First / Last