National Novel Writing Month 2012 Page 27

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• RobTheBuilder 15 Nov 2012 13:34:20 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @MetalDog Exactly. I found by setting characters up it helped me understand where they might go, although I hope a lot of it will be unexpected by the reader when it comes together.

I think sub-plot is easier for mine because of the nature of the story, and the chat show device allows for quick character entrance.
  • MetalDog 15 Nov 2012 13:37:28 23,920 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    @MetalDog

Sinister developments. More please!
    I'll try!
    /opens another can of sinister

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Blerk Moderator 15 Nov 2012 13:57:57 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ugh! Just spent my lunch hour kicking around zillion ideas I have left to try and get them into some semblance of order so that I can actually PLAN the rest of this story rather than just ambling along and seeing where it takes me. And I think it's fair to say at this point that I've no idea how to get even half of those ideas in. Tempted to ditch a whole bunch of them... but then I'm concerned that the story will seem a bit dull.

Decisions, decisions. :|
  • MetalDog 15 Nov 2012 14:04:29 23,920 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Localnotail did offer to help with problems like that, if you want someone who won't care about spoilers to bandy notions with, Blerk.

I would offer, but I'm behind on everything and I do want to read your yarn spoiler free when able =)

• Blerk Moderator 15 Nov 2012 14:09:54 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think part of the problem was that I was trying to do it with a pencil and notebook in a cafe, which makes it slower going and harder to make changes when I ultimately change my mind and decide to put something in earlier or later.

I feel like I need a tool of some description, but I don't know what it is. Something that'll let me stick all the ideas down like post-its and then allow me to move them all around and hook them together.

/raids stationery cupboard for post-its and string
  • Carbon_Altered 15 Nov 2012 14:48:13 736 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I think part of the problem was that I was trying to do it with a pencil and notebook in a cafe, which makes it slower going and harder to make changes when I ultimately change my mind and decide to put something in earlier or later.

I feel like I need a tool of some description, but I don't know what it is. Something that'll let me stick all the ideas down like post-its and then allow me to move them all around and hook them together.

You need the touch surface evidence tables used by the police in MetalDog's book - see if she'll let you borrow one
  • MetalDog 15 Nov 2012 15:34:46 23,920 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh. I imagined them using the lowest bidder ageing future version of something like Mindjet Manager for what it's worth.

• sunjumper 15 Nov 2012 15:35:16 3,248 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:

Well you could use post-its?

What works for me is drawing a pseudo mind-map. I put all the important stuff well spaced on a piece of paper all in there own little circles and then start to draw connections and adding more circles with stuff that needs to happen or will happen because of a form of conflict.
    Usually this helps a lot with bringing things together and I feel that doing it on paper is far more effective then doing it on a screen. A computer's interface is like a barrier that stands between me and my ideas, much in contrast to 'proper' writing where the computer is a great asset.

Also something I like to do is, when I notice that a person/group/nation/MacGuffin is hard to grasp or does not fit well into the story I pull out the notebook and start writing about that person in more detail. Sometime I repeat that process starting from scratch, often I simply add to what is already there. This helps to make sense of their actions and how they fit into the plot and usually makes connections and things that happen in the background more clear.
    (I have tons and tons of handwritten note for Skyshell and Rain for example.)
  • MetalDog 15 Nov 2012 15:54:11 23,920 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How are you doing sunjumper? Do you need a harsh poking?

• sunjumper 15 Nov 2012 17:39:41 3,248 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am doing erratic.

I've watched a couple of hours of music documentaries, which was great for mining for ideas and a certain feeling that should be inside the story. Writing is so so. The day before yesterday was great despite only having half an hour time left to write, while yesterday was a mess.

So far I am writing at least something every day. But right now it is a bit of a struggle. I might have overdone it with the background info as I have past the point where it helped me move the story along and now has become slightly distracting.

The biggest problem I have so far, is that I don't really trust the story I am writing. I am slowly getting into it, but I have no feeling for it. It is rather removed from the stories I usually write so that despite moving forward I have no idea if it is a good forward or a bad one.

Today I will concentrate on writing again. So far the NaNoWriMo doom counter is only mocking me.
  • MetalDog 15 Nov 2012 17:49:10 23,920 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    *light poke*

No feeling makes it hard, I'd imagine. Do you know why and can you fix it?

• Deleted user 15 November 2012 18:06:59
    Who was doing the Choose Your Own Adventure? Or did that change? I should keep up more.

Should cross the finishing line today.
  • sunjumper 15 Nov 2012 19:16:11 3,248 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    *light poke*

No feeling makes it hard, I'd imagine. Do you know why and can you fix it?
    For me this time around NaNo is one hardcore exercise in writing.

There are many fields that I can't seem to get a grip on: dialogues (although these are getting better), character differentiation (I am still not good at it but I think I am reaching 'solid' territory) and the hard ones plot (no idea why but connecting situations in an interesting and coherent fashion is really hard for me) and the big one tension (I can't build tension to save my life.)

So far Lightbringer is slow. At east it feels to me. While the protagonist is advancing and facing adversities and stuff, I have the feeling that so far everything is rather bland and with out the certain something that makes a good yarn tick.

I think I can sum it up best as: I have a lot of puzzle pieces but so far I lack the skill to put them together in a way that presents a whole picture.

I'm mostly a bit lost not knowing where the fuck I'm going.

On the other hand it is a fascinating experience to see how far one can 0get simply with a bit of determination and a goal in mind.

Good I sound whiny today. It is less complaining and more confusion though.

Edited by sunjumper at 19:16:53 15-11-2012
  • Carbon_Altered 15 Nov 2012 19:47:23 736 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Belated update from me:

Chapter 13

Chapter 14

I'm a bit naughty in that I give my chapters a quick once over before positing them up. But this is as without it they can be properly unreadable in the bits where my mind raced too fast for my sausage fingers to keep up on the keyboard.
  • Carbon_Altered 15 Nov 2012 19:48:35 736 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Who was doing the Choose Your Own Adventure? Or did that change?
    Twas me, and yes it changed. Still have the CYOA largely planned and ready to go, but another idea popped into my head and wouldn't go away.
  • TechnoHippy 15 Nov 2012 20:40:18 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chapter 22 puts me over the 23,000 word mark.

http://zenapocalypse.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/faust-20-chapter-22.html

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• TechnoHippy 15 Nov 2012 21:03:32 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Carbon_Altered

Chapter 13 is good, their discussion about targets made me wonder where they're going unload their stolen goods.

The thing about smells is an interesting thought. Although you would get some air movement through convection even without fans or pumps. Probably not much though.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Carbon_Altered 15 Nov 2012 21:43:16 736 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    @Carbon_Altered

wonder where they're going unload their stolen goods.
    All will be revealed!

The thing about smells is an interesting thought. Although you would get some air movement through convection even without fans or pumps. Probably not much though.
    Yeah, a little bit of artistic license here!

Thanks for the feedback
  • Blerk Moderator 15 Nov 2012 23:17:26 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Belated posts for Chapter 6, Part 2 and Chapter 7, Part 1. Sorry for the delay!

@sunjumper
    Thanks for the advice, you might well be right. I'm supposed to be getting the ideas in order, not struggling with software, so perhaps the post-it idea isn't such a silly idea after all?

Managed okay tonight, but I really need a plan from this point onwards. Shit's going to get real and I don't want to cock it up by missing something crucial.
  • MetalDog 16 Nov 2012 00:01:21 23,920 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @sunjumper
    Nowt wrong with a bit of a whinge in week two anyway!
    What is working against your hero? Sometimes the answer lies with the antagonist rather than the protagonist. Try to keep picking yourself up and carrying on, even when you can't see the exit. Something will come of it.

@meme
    Are you our first finisher yet? You're definitely winning the over-achiever achievement this year =)

Day fifteen update from me. Halfway in days, if not in word count.

• Deleted user 16 November 2012 00:57:04
    I will be the first finisher either today or tomorrow, though it's looking more likely to be tomorrow. My wife's fallen ill so I'm nursing for the evening, which sucks up productivity. And I dunno about overachiever - I think TH deserves that for reading seemingly everything that's put in front of him!
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 03:51:58
    Day fifteen

Two storylines concluded. 1,900 words until the finishing line. Still writing. The 1945 section doesn't make much sense and lacks impact, but I didn't want to switch the narrative to something more substantial midway through. It'll be hugely rewritten in a standard third-person past come the first pass, bulking it up to 15-20K or so, rather than the...I dunno how much it is right now. Probably under 1,000. But yeah. That'll be massively redone. Just wanted to finish it for the sake of completion at the moment.

Edited by meme at 05:39:20 16-11-2012
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 05:44:07
    WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER.

The 50,000th word was, appropriately,

"blood"
  • sunjumper 16 Nov 2012 05:49:45 3,248 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Congratulations.

I'm still flopping around like a fish on dry land around 17k.

How close is your story to completion?
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 05:53:38
    Thanks! I'm actually pretty close to finishing the story. Unless I start padding it'll top out at around 55k, so probably finish tomorrow. But I'm not concerned - it'll see a good boost in length when I go back for the second draft. Both the 1940s and 1880s sections will be pretty much rewritten from scratch. I'm gonna step back from it until January, though, give it time to breathe like a fine wine. Or a decaying corpse. One of the two.

I still want to continue writing tonight, but I think I'll call it a day and bask instead. Bask!

You've still got sixteen days to go with yours, though, so plenty of time for a catch-up. I'll start reading people's stuff in the next few days and see if I can knock together motivational feedback.

Edited by meme at 05:54:49 16-11-2012
  • sunjumper 16 Nov 2012 06:06:22 3,248 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finish first. Pad out later.
    Especially after you haven given the story enough time to forget most of it so that you can have a neutral look at it. That way you'll know where to effectively put the right amount of work in.

I hope that I'll have the time to read your story, from the feedback you got so far it looks quite intriguing.

P.S. It looks like Blerk has not been able to get the EG Overachiever Award again this year.

Edited by sunjumper at 06:07:09 16-11-2012
  • Blerk Moderator 16 Nov 2012 08:38:50 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Happy to pass on the mantle to someone else!

Congrats, meme! A stonking achievement! \o/
  • evild_edd 16 Nov 2012 09:27:51 3,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:

I've totally done this: post-its up on one wall and I've shifted them around, added to them, binned and replaced them - so much chopping and changing since I started. Been incredibly useful. especially with my multi-characters and interweaving threads...

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• evild_edd 16 Nov 2012 09:31:03 3,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Thanks! I'm actually pretty close to finishing the story. Unless I start padding it'll top out at around 55k, so probably finish tomorrow. But I'm not concerned - it'll see a good boost in length when I go back for the second draft. Both the 1940s and 1880s sections will be pretty much rewritten from scratch. I'm gonna step back from it until January, though, give it time to breathe like a fine wine. Or a decaying corpse. One of the two.

I still want to continue writing tonight, but I think I'll call it a day and bask instead. Bask!

You've still got sixteen days to go with yours, though, so plenty of time for a catch-up. I'll start reading people's stuff in the next few days and see if I can knock together motivational feedback.
    Bloody hell - well done meme! Fantastic effort and achievement, mate!

P.S. Do decaying corpses breath? Sure I saw something online recently where there was debate as to whether zombies could survive underwater and I think this (extremely important and deeply philosophical) question was at the heart of it all...

Why look, it's a blog:

• evild_edd 16 Nov 2012 09:38:01 3,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apologies - not meaning to spam the thread this morning, but only just catching up after a few days of head-down writing!

New Blog post!!! - This one looks at the common comparison between NaNo and running a marathon (one I'm halfway through, the other I've done previously). Some observations and thoughts on how I'm finding it, as well as a suggestion on targets. Might be of a little help

Off to the North London Derby tomorrow, so not expecting a huge amount from the weekend. Aiming to hit 30k words by the close of play today to give me a little leeway.

Happy with what I've written so far, but I suspect the story will end up around the 80k word mark. A nice length for a first draft, but going to require a herculean effort to hit by the end of the month :S

Why look, it's a blog:

• Page

of 51 First / Last