National Novel Writing Month 2012 Page 2

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• HarryPalmer 3 Oct 2012 12:37:41 3,104 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm up for it! I'll update my profile this evening. HarryPalmer is also my nanoid.
  • MetalDog 3 Oct 2012 13:39:43 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can you buddy up with me? I'm having trouble finding you on NaNo.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• HarryPalmer 3 Oct 2012 14:08:01 3,104 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MetalDog - Done, I'll update my profile today.
  • evild_edd 3 Oct 2012 14:17:30 3,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    @evild_edd
    50k is really a novella in a month and it is first draft, not polished washed and brushed final draft. It's more doable than you think and it is a wild a crazy ride. Don't be intimidated. Do it for the lols. The whole point is to chuck out all the 'I must write a MASTERPIECE or there's no point' stuff and just go hog crazy on a yarn.

The first time I tried it, I was convinced I'd be writing 'banana ping kablow' type nonsense just to keep up the word count, but I did manage to crack out a reasonably entertaining spaceship disaster. Entertained me if no-one else and fuck it, that's reason enough to NaNo right there =)
    Yeah, word counts and classifications come across as a little vague at the best of times. I wrote a couple of 'short stories' between drafts of my novel and they came in at 12,500 and 20k+ words so pushing for novella status. 50k would be a BIG novella, but a very small novel - perhaps the length of book aimed at kids/teens. General consensus I've found is that 80k+ words is more common novel length.

Anyway, you're right: think I'm up for giving this a bash! I'll look at getting myself signed up let you know my ID etc :0)

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• sunjumper 4 Oct 2012 01:10:24 3,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait. . .
    November is next month?!!

Why did no one tell me?

ARGGH!!!!

OK.
    Right.
    My NoNoWriMo page should be up and running again. I just loged in and it is there being idle and reminding me of my pyrian victory of last year.

For this year I have a couple of ideas. Most of them unformed and convulsing Which will lead to another merry disaster as I tend to follow the school of exploratory writing.

Any suggestions from you people?
  • Gaiduku 4 Oct 2012 01:23:10 77 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just signed up. I've had the idea for a novel hidden inside my brain for yonks now and i just need to get it out of there. Just out of interest... this is national novel writing month.... national as in USA... can we still win if we're from the UK or elsewhere?
  • sunjumper 4 Oct 2012 03:04:42 3,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • TechnoHippy 4 Oct 2012 07:45:38 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Gaiduku Yes, you can win elsewhere. I received my winning prizes here in the UK last year.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• localnotail 4 Oct 2012 08:30:23 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wait, there were prizes?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• CosmicFuzz 4 Oct 2012 08:35:27 23,169 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I also want to know more about the prizes

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• boo 4 Oct 2012 09:42:26 11,703 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Prizes? What prizes?

Just Another Lego Blog

• MetalDog 4 Oct 2012 10:15:23 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If memory serves, last years was a discount on Scrivener, a single copy free vanity publish (which assigns an ISBN to the thing so be cautious) and some jpgs to post about.

And of course a first draft, which is the best winning prize by far.

• TechnoHippy 4 Oct 2012 12:45:48 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got a book mark and a sticker as well I think :-)

• sunjumper 4 Oct 2012 16:47:48 3,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A question to all.
    My main new project fr NaNoWriMo will probably be a story about music.
    So if you feel so inclined to help me:

Think of music.
    What does it mean for you in your life?
    Which songs do have a special power over you? And why?

When you think of musicians what are the archetypes which appear in fron of your inner eye?
    Which of those do you love?
    Which do you hate?
    Which do you love despite you having the sneaking suspicion that you really shouldn't?
  • evild_edd 4 Oct 2012 17:25:44 3,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sunjumper wrote:
    A question to all.
    My main new project fr NaNoWriMo will probably be a story about music.
    So if you feel so inclined to help me:

Think of music.
    What does it mean for you in your life? I've grown in to music more and more as I've grown older. I could never be bothered to keep up with the trends and school one-upmanship when I was younger, but now I just listen to tunes that resonate within me, the ones that I seem to identify with. I find music more a mood enhancer than a changer: it won't pull me from a malaise or depression, but it can empathise with it; and it can channel and maintain my more energetic moments as well.

Which songs do have a special power over you? And why?Not sure I would pick individual songs as I tend to listen to entire albums at a time but individual groups/atrists definitely hold sway over my: Radiohead, Eels, Portishead, and Florence & The Machine all seem to connect in some way. Appreciate they're all maintstream (I should be listing some 80's alt punk bank who sold 5 copies of their debut album, I know), but there's something almost spiritual in their music. Never thought of it much before, but all 4 have very distinctive lead vocalists; all 4 can be quite downbeat in their topics but paradoxically upbeat in their tone (in their way). Eels carries particular nostalgia for me, but all have the abililty to remove me from myself. They're probably the only musicians who (without drink/other influences) can help me reach that 'other place' to which music can sometimes act as a conduit.

When you think of musicians what are the archetypes which appear in fron of your inner eye?In the main I'm an indie rock guy, so the immediate thought is of gloomy, sweaty, miserable looking blokes standing around with guitars hanging from their skinny necks. It's not really about people having a great time, more about melancholy and sensitivity.

Which of those do you love? I always like the idea of someone pouring their emotions, anxieties, and doubts in to their work. Someone like E (Mark Oliver Everett, the lead singer of Eels) who basically used music as an outlet for his grief I find increadibly moving. The fact it's just him, his guitar, and his inner thoughts. It's very emotional.

Which do you hate? I guess the negative side is the cliquey, arrogent close-mindedness of the indie scene. The types who close off to everything else and bitch about similar bands claiming their contemporaries are beneath them. If pushed, I'd hold up someone like Oasis as everything I hate about the type of music I like.

Which do you love despite you having the sneaking suspicion that you really shouldn't?Guilty pleasures? I think Daft Punk are absolutely fantastic, but very unlike my usual tastes. I'll even confess to owning and enjoying a few Coldplay albums....but not even I could stomach their latest!
    Hope that helps. I could've rambled on for longer but not 100% sure my answers were what you were looking for....

Edit: put some spaces in to make it easier to read my answers (in bold)

Edited by evild_edd at 17:28:44 04-10-2012

Why look, it's a blog:

• evild_edd 4 Oct 2012 17:27:33 3,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Right, I'm going to sign up for the NaNoWriMo this evening. I'd like to get the username signed up for my future pen name. One slight snag with this: I don't have one!

So, at the risk of putting a significant, potentially life-altering decision in the hands of my fellow EG forumites, I'm going to ask you lot to make the decision for me...!

Bit of background: my real name is Edward Brown. No one wants to read a book by an Edward Brown. The idea of someone willing buying a book by such a named writer is as incongruous as the notion that someone named Daniel Brown could go on to have a massive international bestseller.

No, from this moment on Edward Brown is no more. This is my opportunity to free myself from the shackles of my mundane appellation and make a statement of intent. I shall do this by employing the use of my (IMO, cooler) middle names, Oliver and Laven, and/or subverting the boring Brown in to its more sinister brother: Black.

So, some choices to consider:

Laven Black
    Oliver Black
    Edward Laven

Laven (pronounced LAY-vehn) can be a first or surname. It was originally a surname on my father's side but died out in my family generations back.

Quick straw poll then to decide my future.

Thanks you :0)

P.S. Whom do I have to blow to get admitted to the EG Author's Guild group? My request from yesterday seems to have gone ignored :0(

Why look, it's a blog:

• sunjumper 4 Oct 2012 17:36:07 3,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks Edd.
    You answer was actually awesome and exactly what I was looking for.

In my humble opinion you should go with Edward Laven, it's the one that flows the best from your short list. Also avoid black. Everything and everyone is black these days.

Also the groups do tend to fall into deep dormancy after while.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Oct 2012 18:45:23 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The authors group seems to have died, I find the nano thread to be the most useful. And my own for shameless self promotion :-)

Edward Laven seems a good choice to me.

As for sunjumper's questions:

Think of music.
    What does it mean for you in your life?

Music is something that occupies my mind when I focussing on something else. It helps me think, it helps me dream too.

Which songs do have a special power over you? And why?

There are many, but Amon Amrth's Under the norther star is a good pick. For something so heavy it manages to squeeze in a lot of soul.

When you think of musicians what are the archetypes which appear in fron of your inner eye?

James Brown, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, The Blues Brothers.

Which of those do you love?

Pink Floyd

Which do you hate?

None

Which do you love despite you having the sneaking suspicion that you really shouldn't?

None

• Deleted user 4 October 2012 18:49:22
    Groups in general are kinda dead now. It doesn't notify me when there are new people wanting to join (even though it should automatically let anyone join without authorisation) and seems to hide everything from the main view for me. The EG redesign basically shoved them to the back of the box and ignored them.
  • evild_edd 4 Oct 2012 19:05:46 3,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @meme: Ah, okay. Cool then - so any book/writing/indie author stuff shall remain in the general 'Books' category then. Works for me :0)

Edward Laven taking an early 2-0-0 lead then. No love for the Black..?

Why look, it's a blog:

• sunjumper 4 Oct 2012 19:20:03 3,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Black as a name would leave you stranded in the air-ports of this world. Do you really want that?
    Not even Grey works anymore!
    Also the bad brother of brown would be a shade of red anyway. Blood is red before it dries and turns brown.

@TechnoHippy
    Thanks for your answer.
    It is also interesting that you have no antipathy and no guilty pleasures. How comes? Do you not care enough about music for that or do you prefer to focus on the things you really like.

It is also fumy to see Amon Amrath alongside Pink Floyd. How does 'soul' feel for you and in what way does it help you focus? Some people are distract by music, how does it work as a mental lens for you?
  • evild_edd 4 Oct 2012 19:26:40 3,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @sunjumper

Good point - perhaps colour names are a little overused.

Red Edd? Edward Red? Makes me sound like a throwback to 80's action films - like a villain from a Schwarzenegger (sp?) film. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I suppose...

Why look, it's a blog:

• sunjumper 4 Oct 2012 19:46:44 3,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Edward Red does sound like a pirate yes.
  • Metalfish 4 Oct 2012 20:53:38 8,786 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tend to agree with meme about the groups thing -though they are brilliant for things you don't really need the forum retards stumbling into, messing shit up and then buggering off again. Really wanky author-talk for instance. Or poetry.
  • sunjumper 4 Oct 2012 21:02:33 3,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Truth be told, once a thread reaches a certain length it becomes a group in itself. There are the regulars having jolly long conversations and very rarely does a newbie appear who mostly has a hard time not to get lost in the general conversation.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Oct 2012 21:17:22 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sunjumper wrote:
    @TechnoHippy
    Thanks for your answer.
    It is also interesting that you have no antipathy and no guilty pleasures. How comes? Do you not care enough about music for that or do you prefer to focus on the things you really like.

It is also fumy to see Amon Amrath alongside Pink Floyd. How does 'soul' feel for you and in what way does it help you focus? Some people are distract by music, how does it work as a mental lens for you?
    I love music a lot, but I'm very focussed on what I listen. I've had the same CD in my car for months until I purchased another album from the same band.

I do have some guilty pleasures - Abba for example. Not something I'd pay money for, but I'm happy to listen to it.

Pink Floyd are my favourite band of all time, my current favourite oscillates between Amon Amarth and Ice Ages (the band currently in the car).

For me soul is the feeling the song, or rather the music conveys (as opposed to the lyrics). I also enjoy switches in music, the first track of the Blackhawk Down soundtrack is a classic example: Arabic chant switching to American rock on a beat. Carmina Burana has another great switch in the last track.

Another oddity (maybe) is I love music where I don't understand the vocals. The tone is enough to convey the meaning.

I've always found music a good aid for concentration. I think part of it is that I multitask pretty well and the music occupies the back of my mind allowing me to focus more.

Although Stephen King wrote an interesting thing, he plays loud music to create a barrier to the outside world when he writes.

• evild_edd 4 Oct 2012 21:28:49 3,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Or you could go the other way to Stevie K and follow the Jeffrey Archer route: building a sound-proofed room in your house to block out the world...

Loud music probably the cheaper option. I find it depends on my mood (sometimes a distraction, other times a motivator). I sometimes find I need to unplug the router as well... :/

Why look, it's a blog:

• MetalDog 4 Oct 2012 21:54:47 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When it comes to writing and music, I tend to use it as a Pavlovian conditioning. Play select tunes for select moods in a given yarn and after a short while the first few bars catapult you back into the right mood to carry on where you left off. On good days it's like flicking a switch from reality straight into dreamland.

• FalseAlibi 5 Oct 2012 12:36:20 89 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok - let's do this!

It's only taken a decade or so and a few hundred thousand words of failed novel attempts to get to this point! I'm sure 30 days will be a walk in the park.

ID: g33pers
    Novel: Everybody Loathes a Sailor
  • evild_edd 5 Oct 2012 12:50:41 3,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BOOM!

I'm on and in, so to speak.

ID: TheRealEdwardLaven
    Novel: TBA

I've clicked on all the NaNoWriMo IDs on the OP and added writing buddy requests. Assume these need to be accepted to become active, so please accept or ignore as your hearts desire!

Why look, it's a blog:

• Page

of 51 First / Last