National Novel Writing Month 2012 Page 6

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• evild_edd 23 Oct 2012 14:50:58 3,016 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sunjumper wrote:
    On my end the terror has gone away. In the end the only One True Disaster is the blank page.
    Failure isn't bad prose or a stupid plot. Failure is an empty space where a story should be.
    Edd stared at the blank page.

'AAAAArrrrrrghhhhhhhh!!!!'

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• MetalDog 23 Oct 2012 14:57:15 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You're not suppose to write before the 1st anyway, save your screaming for then ;)

Or is it a blank mind that is troubling you? =D

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• sunjumper 23 Oct 2012 15:05:50 3,184 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Edd, you just wrote:

'AAAAArrrrrrghhhhhhhh!!!!'

Even if that is all you wrote in a week, with that one exclamation you pushed failure back. Maybe just a little, but it has allready started crumbling.
    Just look at it. One big bold scream.
    Now we must know! Who did scream (or what)? And why? How could get things so wrong? What is going to be done to make it better? And if nothing is done as a reaction why?

I like you bold new style of minimalist novelism.
    7/10
  • TechnoHippy 23 Oct 2012 21:01:49 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Off topic - but if anyone would be so kind please vote for my flash fic entry - The Voice

http://austinbriggs.com/flash-fiction-contest/the-voice/

Thanks!

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• evild_edd 24 Oct 2012 07:42:32 3,016 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MetalDog @sunjumper

Cheers. Don't worry, no start shall be made till the 1st. It's the thought of sitting down on the 1st that's a little intimidating...

Pretty happy to have scored a 7/10 review on a solitary scream - now i just nee to find the other three points somewhere in the remaining 49,999 words! ;0)

My plan will be started (and hopefully finished) today.

Why look, it's a blog:

• evild_edd 24 Oct 2012 07:45:05 3,016 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone thinking of going to their local NaNo meetings? I'm in London on Sat so may pop in to the weekend meeting they're doing then.

Why look, it's a blog:

• MetalDog 24 Oct 2012 09:48:43 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd be curious to know what they're like, report back if you go =)

• evild_edd 24 Oct 2012 10:24:56 3,016 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MetalDog - I was thinking that I may do a little report and stick it up on my blog, which is currently blank as I only set it up for the NaNo. Once I've actually got something to read I'll post details on this thread :0)

Gutting but potentially timely drama unfolded last night: my fifth 360 RRoDed. Not ideal timing with Forza Horizon and Halo 4 round the corner, but perhaps for the best all considered. With no gaming PC, my 360 dying leaves me with just the Wii. Which is basically another way of saying no gaming for me.

One fewer distraction; bring on the NaNo!

Why look, it's a blog:

• HarryPalmer 24 Oct 2012 11:16:18 3,111 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looking forward to this. I can't promise my novel will make any sense, I'm going to wing it. A lot of ideas fizzing around but none that really add up to much.

Quick technical question: do you upload your whole manuscript up each time, or just section by section?
  • MetalDog 24 Oct 2012 11:29:29 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To the official site for wordcount, do you mean?

The whole thing every time. Control A, control C, control V - it's pretty quick. Well, it is for people like me who write in one vast Word doc, bit more of a pain for people splitting it up into bits as they go I'd imagine, but you could add to a vast doc of doom on the side as you go and copy paste that, I guess.

However you do it, make back ups every day. Nothing kills the forward motion like losing a few thousand words and losing the whole damn thing is suicide-inducing.

• Blerk Moderator 24 Oct 2012 11:30:42 48,225 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I use my Dropbox folder for the sake of sanity.

Workload's dropped off a little, hopeful I'll be able to stay in the game again. Although I've still done sod all planning. Erk!
  • HarryPalmer 24 Oct 2012 11:34:53 3,111 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers, that's good.
  • HarryPalmer 24 Oct 2012 11:45:01 3,111 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Open Office yeah.
  • Blerk Moderator 24 Oct 2012 11:45:07 48,225 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A combo of WriteMonkey and Scrivener for me.

But you should generally use whatever you feel most comfortable with - you really don't need the distraction of trying to learn a new tool while you're supposed to be bashing out words.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Oct 2012 11:49:42 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use Word for the drafts and Excel for the planning bits.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• MetalDog 24 Oct 2012 11:56:42 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I agree with Blerk. There isn't a word processor out there that will make you write better, so make life as easy for yourself as possible when it comes to your writing tools. NaNo is hard work to do on top of the work that pays the rent and by the end of week 2 you'll be ready to jack it in if you're not happy with the interface between you and what you want to hammer out.

• sunjumper 24 Oct 2012 13:01:15 3,184 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pretty much what Blerk and MetalDog said.
    Use what works for you.

I am a big fan of using ImmersEd to simply write as it will show you only your page and your text. Of course there are other similar programms, but I like this one because it comes with typewriter sounds (which for some reason make typing for me much more satisfying), it comes with an auto-correction functionality (which turns my dyslexic drivel from disastrous to almost intelligible) and my favourite feature it has the option to atuo-save in to places at once. For example your main writing folder and your dropbox/usb-stick/magnetic tape backup.

I am also slowly coming around to using Scrivener for doing the planning.

But these are just two of the many tools that you may chose and you should use those that you have the least problems with using.
  • Deleted user 24 October 2012 16:15:28
    I use OmmWriter, simply because I like how it looks and the ambient sounds help me focus. I've come to the conclusion that I'm a method writer - if I'm trying to do something deep I have to get into the mindset before I start writing, and the physical and virtual writing setup have a lot to do with that - I can't just scribble notes on a notepad when I'm on a bus or something.

Still want a goddamn typewriter though. Then it'll flow like water. Until it breaks my hands.
  • MetalDog 24 Oct 2012 16:27:12 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Haha, have you ever used one? LOUD AS FUCK. Have a reasonably soundproofed room to write in if you're a night owl or the neighbours will hunt you down.

• Deleted user 24 October 2012 16:48:28
    Yeah, had loads about the place when I was a kid. My oldschool heart wants one of the properly vintage ones like Hemingway used or something, but deep down I know that's pretty implausible and impractical (not necessarily for the typing, but for the maintenance and upkeep needed). The more modern ones like IBM Selectric you can at least get regular parts and consumables for.

Edited by meme at 16:48:40 24-10-2012
  • sunjumper 24 Oct 2012 16:52:46 3,184 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait until you mistyped on a really old school one and your finger gets stuck between the keys. When you pull your finger out again, the typewrite will have taken some of your flesh.
    I think that is the reason why they survive to this day.
  • MetalDog 24 Oct 2012 17:02:55 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My dad used to be a typewriter repairman for OEM, so we had all sorts kicking around. The Imperial 66 was a fantastic beast, but I'd have to be proper desperate to write a novel on one now. That was a real finger-eater when you missed the key.

The little royal I had for a while was easier on the hands and quieter, though. Portable thing - I have vague memories of spraying ribbons with some chemical or another to eke more ink print out of them.

• Rhythm 24 Oct 2012 21:39:28 2,470 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Used ImmersED last year, will probably use Windows Live Writer this year, or maybe OneNote (synced with my Box.net account).
  • Metalfish 24 Oct 2012 22:43:57 8,790 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still using open office like some kind of obnoxious hippy.
  • Rhythm 24 Oct 2012 23:03:16 2,470 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I would use OO but it takes a fucking *age* to open and work managed to give me MS Office 2010 for 8 :-)
  • Carbon_Altered 25 Oct 2012 13:01:11 675 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So my brain hates me

Despite having an idea clearly planned out for Nano, Brain won't stop thinking about this other, much less fleshed out, idea that I have.

You can do the initial idea at a later date, says Brain

All that planning can be used any time, says Brain

Nano is more about winging it with half formed ideas, says Brain

Having such a detailed plan is sort of cheating, says Brain, you should go with the other idea to make it fairer/more of a chellenge.

You get the idea.

Humph.
  • MetalDog 25 Oct 2012 13:12:39 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Personally, I found fairly hefty planning a bit of a hindrance last year. It's only been the last couple of days that I've started to sketch out the basic story in my mind so I have a vague aiming point - the advantage being that it will be much more flexible to change as I go along, being all thin and still warm from the oven, rather than some concrete and steel edifice that's been gathering inertia in my skull for six months.

Planning isn't cheating and for my money, it sure doesn't make it 'easy' - but the real question is, what is your gut telling you? Brain can be a tricky, lying bugger, guts tend to be more honest, if less well informed. What says your gut?

Less than a week to go!

• MetalDog 26 Oct 2012 13:27:46 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Five...

• boo 26 Oct 2012 13:40:22 11,706 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Five weeks, yes?
    Five weeks!
    Say it's five weeks!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 51 First / Last