National Novel Writing Month 2012 Page 48

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• RobTheBuilder 17 Apr 2013 19:11:04 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Metalfish not really, I just had the rough plot in my head and wrote it down in order!
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Apr 2013 19:11:33 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @BillCityfingers also yes, I'll read some if it helps!
  • TechnoHippy 17 Apr 2013 19:55:19 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bah - I thought I had something new to read :-)

@BillCityfingers Finish what you've started. It won't be right, but you'll know you can finish, you can then make it better.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 18 April 2013 09:17:38
    @RobTheBuilder That's an awfully good idea actually I may do that. I have started writing a brief bio of my main "cast" and sketching out various plot points, putting in random chapters bits when I think of them with a view to working them into the main structure. You're right, I def have too many so I'm going to keep the focus on a bare minimum, whilst still including the others some may only need a brief mention.

I think I'll do that re: chapters though.

I have some older fiction here: http://www.short-fiction.co.uk/newstories/list_author_stories.php?author=BillCityfingers

Which isn't really what I'm like now if you want to read? or If you PM your email I can send you a few bits and bobs I've done this year? There's a couple that an opinion would be good on as I don't know if they're good enough oto be finished.
  • TechnoHippy 21 Apr 2013 17:58:45 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll just leave this here :-)

http://thecultofme.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/faust-20-coming-soon.html

• Blerk Moderator 22 Apr 2013 15:51:10 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hey, best of luck, Techno! First of a new series too, eh?

I've been bashing away at the keys a fair bit this week. Don't have a complete chapter yet but I'll probably post what I do have sometime in the next couple of days.

While wandering through some old files yesterday I discovered two things:

1. A half-done set of submission letters, samples, etc. for Drowner's Mill. I had originally been putting these together with a half-arsed idea of submitting the book to some agents to see if I could get any publisher interest but then decided to wait and do the edit first. The edit's about half done... tempted to finish those off and have a pop at it before I lose my nerve again.

2. A completed first draft of an apocalyptic short story that I'd completely forgotten about. Could post that if anyone's interested in seeing it. There's a half-finished sci-fi tale too which I really ought to finish off at some point.

Anyway... I'm not dead! I'm just... working a lot. :|
  • TechnoHippy 22 Apr 2013 20:26:17 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finish the Drowner's Mill edit!

• Metalfish 22 Apr 2013 20:29:26 8,786 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes. Do that. And we shall read it.
  • Salaman 23 Apr 2013 10:05:26 18,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do the edit! Then let us read it.

I like to get my reading for free, so reading tghe edit prior to a publisher releasing it would be great. ;-)
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Apr 2013 10:41:56 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone and everyone who's so much as looked at my stuff is deserving of a free copy of the final product to my mind. :)

Got a bit too much into the zone last night and it was suddenly 2am so I didn't get a chance to post an update, but I'll try to do that tonight.

As for the edit, I've sort of put it on hold until the new stuff is finished. I don't really want to get distracted, I'm already months overdue on my (admittedly self-imposed) deadline.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Apr 2013 11:54:35 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Anyone and everyone who's so much as looked at my stuff is deserving of a free copy of the final product to my mind. :)

Got a bit too much into the zone last night and it was suddenly 2am so I didn't get a chance to post an update, but I'll try to do that tonight.

As for the edit, I've sort of put it on hold until the new stuff is finished. I don't really want to get distracted, I'm already months overdue on my (admittedly self-imposed) deadline.
    Have you read or seen 'Misery'?

Now get that bloody edit pass done :-)

• Blerk Moderator 23 Apr 2013 11:58:59 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ha!

I would like to get it done, tbh. I'm just not sure if I can do both at the same time. Perhaps I ought to try and give one session a week over to the edit, just to keep the wheels on. The trouble is whenever I go back and read it again intending to correct spelling and grammar and bits that don't make sense I keep... changing stuff. :)
  • TechnoHippy 23 Apr 2013 12:18:08 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Understood, but soon...

• RobTheBuilder 23 Apr 2013 12:26:24 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good luck with it all! I need to try and finish mine before next November..!
  • Blerk Moderator 24 Apr 2013 13:46:17 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Almost posted an update last night but then realised that I'm one brief scene away from the end of the chapter so decided to hold off while I write that. Tonight, for sure.

If you liked any of the previous chapters then you'll love this one. Or hate it. There will be no middle ground! :)
  • Salaman 24 Apr 2013 14:28:13 18,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Such a tease.
  • Blerk Moderator 24 Apr 2013 14:44:31 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :)
  • TechnoHippy 24 Apr 2013 20:10:14 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The chapter is a lie!

• Blerk Moderator 24 Apr 2013 23:54:17 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, the chapter is real! :)

I rejigged the blog a bit too. See? Busy busy. :D
  • TechnoHippy 28 Apr 2013 10:28:35 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Blerk

Nice,something new to read :-)

More hints as to what is going on - tantilising.

Maxwell is a bastard - but I do like him :-)

Another good chapter.

• Salaman 29 Apr 2013 10:33:59 18,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Excellent chapter Blerk. I was reading it on my mobile phone, so I had sort of accepted that it was going to be too much of a hassle to highlight typos and stuff, so I'd just read it and comment on content.

Didn't notice any typos though. \0/

There was a point in the chapter where they have come to realise just how far "they" are willing to go. Genocide, etc. And where Jake is thinking how scientists must have been involved with this. I fully expected him to then think back to his wife Chloe at this point. How upset she had been that last night and how her refusal to be involved in genocide had gotten her killed. He doesn't though, which seemed a bit odd to me.

I think it was at this point.
    I frowned to myself. The fact that Sanderford probably had some of the scientists helping him to commit such atrocities left an even worse taste in my mouth. That some of the greatest minds the world had ever produced should be reduced to that level was almost obscene, and I very much hoped that they hadnít realised just how their efforts were being abused.

Otherwise all is well. Good chapter. Seems to be moving forward a bit with the revelation of this weapon in place.
    I can't believe you killed off Carter you bastard! ;-)
  • Blerk Moderator 29 Apr 2013 14:39:54 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's a very good point, Salaman - he (I!) absolutely should have considered Chloe at that point. I shall add it to my editing notes.

Regarding the ending, that was somewhat surprising to me too. I'm not actually driving this, the damn thing writes itself! I think I'm just the channel through which it emerges. :)

Thanks to your good self and the most wonderful Mr TechnoHippy for continuing to read!
  • RedSparrows 29 Apr 2013 14:41:35 22,024 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A short story I wrote should be appearing in the college magazine, \o/

Cue angry letters about my total lack of merit.
  • Blerk Moderator 29 Apr 2013 14:47:43 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Angry letters are proof that people read your stuff - hurrah! :)

Congrats on making into cold, hard print!
  • TechnoHippy 29 Apr 2013 20:32:44 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    A short story I wrote should be appearing in the college magazine, \o/

Cue angry letters about my total lack of merit.
    Good work!

• Deleted user 29 April 2013 20:36:10
    Good job, RS. Is the magazine online too? The college magazine I've been working on should be done towards the end of May. Been an interesting experience.
  • Salaman 29 Apr 2013 20:38:45 18,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk, I was a bit lost in the first paragraphs. Couldn't remember right of the bat where we had left off. I recalled that they fled the compound in a bus but I completely forgot Carver got beaten up. Poor guy. You really have it in for him.
    So I went back to the previous chapter for a quick peek.

Then I forgot the main protagonist's name. :blush:. Couldn't find it in the last two chapters as I scanned through, so I went to chapter 1 as I thought he'd be mentioned there.

I mis-clicked to November 2011 instead of November 2012.
    I see all of last year's effort is there as well.

I'll probably read it if I have some idle time. Is there any point in feedback on that, you mentioned you're going to edit it anyway. (you know ... at some point). ;-)
  • RobTheBuilder 29 Apr 2013 21:14:59 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finally added another piece!
    I still need to get the segway into the ending, but am back working on it a bit now...

Chapter 29
    Episode 6 part 2 - http://nanowrimo-theentertainer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/29-episode-six-part-2.html
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 21:26:46
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Finally added another piece!
    I still need to get the segway into the ending, but am back working on it a bit now...

Chapter 29
    Episode 6 part 2 - http://nanowrimo-theentertainer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/29-episode-six-part-2.html
    Some advice based on a quick skim-read - avoid bookisms, don't be afraid of repeating the word "said". It works for a reason.
  • Metalfish 29 Apr 2013 21:45:40 8,786 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aye. Listen to meme. He mostly knows what he's talking about. Despite totally selling out and getting a proper writing education.

Weird how most writing advice almost always has brilliant exceptions. Although, I suspect one needs a million or so words under their belt before they're completely comfortable where breaking with established advice works best...

...he ejaculated, heartily.
  • Page

of 51 First / Last