National Novel Writing Month 2012 Page 47

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• Blerk Moderator 12 Mar 2013 08:37:22 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sunjumper wrote:
    Damn I wanted to answer earlier, but I am in an internship that is eating my life right now.

TechnoHippy:
    Thanks for the kind words. They actually have a positive effect and are much appreciated.

Blerk:
    I would kill you for not updating but I still have to read your last chapter (which I really want to do) so my shame is as great as yours. For now it's a stalemate.

Metaldog:
    Are you still alive?
    Don't you give up now!

Meme:
    Dude! Editing a literary magazine is like the best excuse for not editing your own stuff. You get to diss other peoples writing (and steal their good stuff)

RobtheBuilder:
    Never give up. When you start a story it stays started it is never to late to continue. Trust me.
    I'd am looking forward to reading your story, I just wish I had some kind of Time creating device that I could use to create all the temporal resources to get everything done that I'd like to do!

CosmicFuzz:
    See it from this perspective it means that you are along the ride just like the readers. Go in end enjoy. Worst case scenario send in the guys with the guns and sort the rest out later.

CarbonAltered:
    I have not forgotten you! Will return to your story. Hopefully sooner than later.

Metalfish:
    Are you still alive?

Salaman:
    You are still a hero.
    I think I've been ill for about a month now and it's really sucked the enthusiasm out of me for pretty much everything other than vegetating in front of the telly/console, so I'm way behind. Need to get back on the horse soon or I risk losing track of everything in my head.

Edited by Blerk at 08:37:55 12-03-2013
  • Salaman 12 Mar 2013 08:48:43 19,464 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Need to get back on the horse soon or I risk losing track of everything in my head.
    There you are ... slow enough to hop on.
    http://www.netanimations.net/Muybridge_horse_walking_animated.gif
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Mar 2013 09:17:39 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Come back, horsie!
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Mar 2013 09:56:53 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Update: been writing. Will post once I hit the end of the next scene, probably tonight.
  • sunjumper 26 Mar 2013 10:56:10 3,235 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also update, work has finally become less of a maelstrom of chaos. So once I get to sleep for a good long while and unwind a bit I will be: giving more feedback and finish my next chapter.

The Easter holidays look promising.
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Mar 2013 11:29:01 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good luck, sunjumper!

The holidays are always worse for productivity from my point of view. With the family around more often I'm usually left with much less free time.
  • sunjumper 26 Mar 2013 12:03:55 3,235 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The family part of the the holidays is minimal in my case. The thing I need the most right now is just some rest and the ability to mentally unwind for a day or two.
    The last weeks I was grumpy and carrying a huge load of chronic sleep deprivation with me, which is not conductive to reading or writing.
    (although despite all whining I finished making my very own arcade stick which made me incredibly pleased with myself)

Also with a bit more free time I can at least sit back and indulge in the stories that are still on archive here that I have yet to read. I have not read your latest chapter Blerk and I still need to return to Carbon_Altered's SF tale.

Edited by sunjumper at 12:04:55 26-03-2013
  • TechnoHippy 31 Mar 2013 11:35:20 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Damn - I thought I was in for some new reading. My effort from this nano is due to go off to my editor for a final pass in the next few weeks.

And good work on the Arcade stick!

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Blerk Moderator 2 Apr 2013 18:52:34 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Reading (for those that want it)! Chapter 13!

Five chapters to go. Five. Five five five. Come on, Blerky.
  • TechnoHippy 2 Apr 2013 21:41:06 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Reading (for those that want it)! Chapter 13!

Five chapters to go. Five. Five five five. Come on, Blerky.
    Marvellous - a new chapter!

"that at this very moment Dan was waiting for me that at this very moment Dan was waiting for me" - "waited for" would be better.

A dark turn :-(

I always forget how long your chapters are :-)

• RobTheBuilder 2 Apr 2013 21:45:35 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Blerk sorry, I missed this! Thanks for nice words, I will finish it, just trying to avoid half arsing it for the sake of getting it done. It's lurking in my head while I try and figure out how I want to make it work!
  • sunjumper 2 Apr 2013 22:41:17 3,235 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sunjumper wrote:

Also with a bit more free time I can at least sit back and indulge in the stories that are still on archive here that I have yet to read. I have not read your latest chapter Blerk and I still need to return to Carbon_Altered's SF tale.
    Ah ha
    Ah ha ha
    Muwahahahahahhahahaaa!
    *snif*

Yeah. That worked well.
    Now I am back at work and have slept horribly but thank god only for three and a half hours. That will increase my reading/writing productivity to unknown heights.
    But the soul still burns.
    I've got plans and an increasingly rabid determination!

P.S. You have to go on Blerk, for now you are our only hope.

Edited by sunjumper at 22:41:43 02-04-2013
  • Metalfish 2 Apr 2013 22:57:59 8,865 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still live. Still doing little bits here and there to Chains. It needs a big push after getting bogged down in slightly unnecessarily large battle scene (it was always a grow a monstrosity, prune heavily afterwards project).

I'm aware I've been neglecting my reading+feedbacking duties something fierce.
  • Blerk Moderator 2 Apr 2013 23:18:57 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Marvellous - a new chapter!

"that at this very moment Dan was waiting for me that at this very moment Dan was waiting for me" - "waited for" would be better.

A dark turn :-(

I always forget how long your chapters are :-)
    I suspect for the final thingummy I'll probably end up turning the scenes into chapters. They're just too damned long at the minute.

And hugs for reading, of course. Big, hairy (platonic) man hugs. :)

Edited by Blerk at 23:20:02 02-04-2013
  • Salaman 3 Apr 2013 01:24:19 19,464 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On my phone, so a bit brief:

I looked down at my watch and saw that it a little after
    was

He stopped turning the radio and raised it to show me, waggling it from side to side to ensure that
    that? ... Don't leave me hanging here now Blerk!

Enjoyed reading that. Good to see you plugging away at it. And if you've now sorted the story out in your head, I guess it's just a matter of sitting down from time to time and typing it out, eh?
    ;-)

Edited by Salaman at 08:57:48 03-04-2013
  • Deleted user 3 April 2013 02:34:19
    This is probably the best thread to ask, but apologies for the slight derail - does anyone know if there's any writing software that simulates a typewriter in function? Several simulate it in form (typewriter sounds and scrolling) but none simulate the function - the inability to delete, cut/paste etc - even optionally. Considering the difference in how it makes you approach writing, I'm surprised I'm not finding any myself, aside from a shitty java-based one that doesn't even let you save.
  • Metalfish 4 Apr 2013 19:54:13 8,865 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wasn't someone on here a developer of some writing software that did the sounds and stuff? Maybe they've thought about adding that function.
  • sunjumper 4 Apr 2013 20:05:13 3,235 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That would have been ImmeresEd which I loved dearly, but because of a lack of interest the developer sadly stopped updating it.
    It is still a great piece of software in my opinion but it does not do what meme is asking for.
  • Carbon_Altered 4 Apr 2013 20:34:44 721 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Evening all. Glad to here of at least some stuttering progress (and the usual over achievement from Techno).

I actually wrote a new chapter (and a half) over Easter but don't really want to put it up yet. As it stands, my tale got to a sort of semi-conclusion / end of Act one / cliff hanger in November/December and it just feels a bit wrong to open it up again as if it takes me a while to get back to it will just hang around incomplete. Except it is already incomplete and the logical part of my brain is annoyed with me.
  • Metalfish 6 Apr 2013 23:55:34 8,865 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    See. I told you I was alive. You could say it's pretty shaky going as it appears I forgotten how to write non-boring prose. If you aren't someone who's been especially interested since I started posting these. I'd imagine you won't want to bother as this'll make fuck all sense. And I've hidden most of the previous chapters.

Edited by Metalfish at 23:57:28 06-04-2013
  • TechnoHippy 7 Apr 2013 12:09:07 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    See. I told you I was alive. You could say it's pretty shaky going as it appears I forgotten how to write non-boring prose. If you aren't someone who's been especially interested since I started posting these. I'd imagine you won't want to bother as this'll make fuck all sense. And I've hidden most of the previous chapters.
    It's not so terrible. Sure it needs some cleaning up, but the situation is interesting. And I like big battles.

Unfortunately I don't remember the previous chapters too well,so I can't comment and how well it progresses the story.

• Metalfish 7 Apr 2013 12:32:00 8,865 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Churn now, fix later.

How's you?
  • TechnoHippy 7 Apr 2013 12:39:09 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Doing well, busy as ever. Last years nano will be going off for final edit and proofreading soon and I'm just about to start the first draft ofmy new science fiction novel - Sun Dragon.

• Metalfish 7 Apr 2013 12:47:04 8,865 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it doesn't contain giant lizards literally made of super-heated plasma then that might be a personal stumbling block. If it does: awesome.
  • TechnoHippy 7 Apr 2013 14:22:58 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You're not that far off- not lizards though :-)

• sunjumper 17 Apr 2013 09:20:58 3,235 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sun Dragon?
    I love that name.

P.S.
    After having stared at my last half finished chapter I think thatit is actually a finished chapter and will post it soon.
    Progress is being made.

I have also noticed that to much grim dedication seems to distract me from getting work done because I become so obsessed with results and goals that it saps away my will to actually get any work done. Strange that.

When you people are writing what motivates you the most to sit down and write stuff?
    I find that at least for me the first step is always the hardest. Once I have started writing and I am into the first few sentences I tend to sink into 'The Zone' and become rather absorbed by my work even on days when I hardly get anything done.
    How is it for you?

Edited by sunjumper at 09:24:55 17-04-2013
  • Deleted user 17 April 2013 09:54:35
    Hi guys wondered if you could share some insight or give some advice here as my head is a bit minced (!). I started a writing class this year and have written loads of, well, bits over the last few months. The class is over now for a few more weeks but during one of the final assignments I started writing something that could maybe be a novel.

Thing is I don't know if I'm being a bit too ambitious and should just right some more first, as I haven't even finished a short story since February.

I'm about 10K into this "novel" before stopping and I've started now to try and sketch it out. It's getting very convoluted and so far lacks a clear structure, there are also about 20 characters that need a bit of page time devoted to them. Should I go back and finish some short stories that I've already started first? Or try and crack on with this?

My problem is I don't know if I'm trying to do too much too soon and should do more short stuff first, am I being too ambitious? I haven't written at all for about a week and a half as I'm now building it up too much in my head to just sit down and do some solid writing.

Would anyone want to read anything I've done recently and give some feedback?

Sorry that's a bit rambling, trying to get my frustrations out of my head
  • Metalfish 17 Apr 2013 18:56:32 8,865 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You think too much. Write. There is no magic formula, only what works for you.

10k is nothing. Writers write. Assholes talk about writing on the internet without ever finishing anything. Hope that helps.

Edited by Metalfish at 18:57:51 17-04-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Apr 2013 19:02:59 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @BillCityfingers 20 key characters sounds like a lot.

My last boss has had his novel reviewed by a major publisher and they told him to minimise unnecessary characters.

I'm up to 36k words on mine, and I wrote out a rough chapter guide. Just simply one short line, that lets you see a flow easily.

E.g.:

1. Prologue, set up end scene that the story leads to

2. Introduce main character

3. Set up main plot

4. Introduce second character

5. First major plot event (show 1 in my story)

6. Aftermath of plot event

Etc
  • Metalfish 17 Apr 2013 19:10:03 8,865 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Planning?! You fascists!
  • Page

of 51 First / Last