National Novel Writing Month 2012 Page 5

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• TechnoHippy 17 Oct 2012 16:54:32 14,714 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was tempted to try and wing it, but then the fear set in.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• MetalDog 17 Oct 2012 16:55:13 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yikes!
    Well, I hope you hit on something that helps you escape sufficiently from all that!

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• MetalDog 17 Oct 2012 16:56:55 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @techno
    You should try =D
    I tried mucho planning last time, you chicken. Admittedly, I did not go so far as chapter plans, that is just too far from my nature, but I did plan more than usual.

• localnotail 17 Oct 2012 17:37:32 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @boo Blimey, that is a lot. Did you ever do an origin story for your guy?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 17 October 2012 17:58:51
    I don't know whether to be pretentious and literary and write the phenomenology-over-multiple-generations discovery story I've been vaguely planning for the past several months, or just do something silly like Steampunk Russian Revolution.

Considering I can't speed-write literararararilly, the latter's sounding more appealing. But I'm in an "I hate genre fiction" slump at the moment. Probably because I've been reading too much Cormac McCarthy and Denis Johnson.
  • Carbon_Altered 17 Oct 2012 19:29:34 675 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I don't know whether to be pretentious and literary and write the phenomenology-over-multiple-generations discovery story I've been vaguely planning for the past several months,
    thought you were on about studying the bumps on people's heads to start with there, but thankfully googled it before passing comment.

although a book about bump reading over the generations does sound awesome!!
  • Metalfish 17 Oct 2012 20:07:22 8,818 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I were taking part I'd probably end up with some modern nihilistic drivel. Fortunately I'm still wrapped up in my own little fantasy world. :)
  • TechnoHippy 19 Oct 2012 09:29:47 14,714 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had a revelation last night with my storyline, it takes me in a different direction, but I like it. Same basic premise though.

• Blerk Moderator 19 Oct 2012 19:24:58 48,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sigh. If my current workload doesn't ease up any I'm not sure I'm going to have any free time to take part this year. God damn.

/still at work
    /on a Friday
    /also working the weekend
    /motherfuckers
  • TechnoHippy 19 Oct 2012 20:51:53 14,714 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also still at work :-(

• sunjumper 21 Oct 2012 15:36:02 3,197 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For some reason this year fills me with terror.

My idea seed is looking at me mockingly and I have the feeling that I don't know nearly enough about music in general to turn what I have in mind into a farce.
    Also so far the story has no arc. . .
    Or anything beyond a bsic crude idea for that matter.

;_;

Edited by sunjumper at 15:36:25 21-10-2012
  • TechnoHippy 21 Oct 2012 15:59:44 14,714 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Talk it through with someone, I'm not an expert in music but you can sound ideas off me if you like.

• MetalDog 21 Oct 2012 16:38:47 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    T minus 10 days and counting.

@sunjumper Sounds like you need to do some research? I bet if you start googling around the subject you'll start to have ideas off the back of what you find out.

If it makes you feel any better, while I know what my villain has done, I don't know why they've done it yet, or who they are =)

• Metalfish 21 Oct 2012 17:27:04 8,818 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Research is for wusses!

/Signed, Dan Brown.

Edited by Metalfish at 18:50:42 21-10-2012
  • sunjumper 21 Oct 2012 21:41:32 3,197 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It is actually the research that is filling me with terror.
    Before I was living blissfully in a world of half knowledge.

But then what I want to write is more of a pulpy tale of modern myths and less a lesson on music history. But still. . .
  • MetalDog 22 Oct 2012 07:29:18 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just remember that as a rule of thumb you do this much research:
    and put this much of it directly into the story:

• Metalfish 22 Oct 2012 09:48:15 8,818 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Absolutely! If you want to write a lonely planet guide, go and do that. This is one of the reasons I don't think Gaiman's American Gods is quite as superb as many do -too much "awesome fact I found out about someplace" that doesn't add anything to the narrative.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2012 11:12:02
    By chance I came across some ideas I'd jotted down last year. They were intended for games but I reckon I can pan at least one of them out into a decent sized story. Looking forward to this now :-)
  • Waffleaber 22 Oct 2012 13:15:28 410 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm definitely giving this a go this year. Been interested since I heard about it for the first time last year.
    I've got a story, I've got some vague semblance of a plan and I just need to get writing.
    Going to be a challenge with two young kids but I like the idea of getting it printed myself and having it sat on my bookshelf.
  • MetalDog 22 Oct 2012 13:27:16 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Waffleaber Shall I add you to our list of adventurers in the first post?

@Rhythm - live it when that happens. Little things firing off great big things. Best one ever was a single word spoken by a character in a game triggering a line of thought that in about ten minutes led to an almost whole character and half a novel's worth of 'stuff' =D

• Waffleaber 22 Oct 2012 16:48:04 410 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @MetalDog

Yeah do it, fear of failure tends to be one of my better driving forces.
  • evild_edd 22 Oct 2012 18:34:36 3,108 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Welcome to the team Waffleaber :0)

Ideas are still cultivating in my mind. Really need to get them mapped out, mind.

Also another big +1 for loving those random thoughts/moments when whole ideas/plots/characters seem to form in your mind. Often happens to me in the minutes before I drop off to sleep, which always carries the risk of them being forgotten come the morning.

Another snag is that I've had a couple of such moments over the weekend but neither connected to the story I'm going to write for the NaNo. One's basically the starting seed of a huge Sci Fi epic (I'm writing character drama/contemporary fiction at the moment, and haven't gone anywhere near Sci Fi - so going to shift to that when it's only a part formed kernel of a universe!) The other is that I've had something of a breakthrough on the title of my first novel, which is more or less complete! Been using a working title for the past year but never been happy with it.

Not too worried about having thoughts on other things as the NaNo book plot is near fully formed. Getting excited now!

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Deleted user 23 October 2012 00:17:29
    So, I'm choosing the insanity route and opting for the literary novel. Shoved up a temp website here - http://www.chrisgrapes.com/nano - have no title yet. Not sure I can really fit the synopsis into one sentence. Man travels across country for father's funeral, I suppose, but that's not really that accurate.
  • evild_edd 23 Oct 2012 07:58:24 3,108 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    So, I'm choosing the insanity route and opting for the literary novel. Shoved up a temp website here - http://www.chrisgrapes.com/nano - have no title yet. Not sure I can really fit the synopsis into one sentence. Man travels across country for father's funeral, I suppose, but that's not really that accurate.
    Dead father travels across country to visit his son's birth...?

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• MetalDog 23 Oct 2012 13:38:24 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love the way brains work. Someone in an EG comments section mentions teenage boys wanking and this leads one thought onto another and WHAM eight days prior to the start, I finally know my villain's motivation and thus, the main engine for the whole story (nothing to do with wanking, that would be an awful villain to write - the mad wanker - no.)

But yay \o/

@meme
    Ballsy move, good luck! 404 on that website atm, but I'm seeing your header at least.

• TechnoHippy 23 Oct 2012 13:41:16 14,714 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My story is taking a strange turn. It's now becoming a twisted love story.

With a demon chatbot.

• Carbon_Altered 23 Oct 2012 14:10:23 675 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Typical with 10 days to go I get another idea.

However, after all the planning (over 200 paragraphs now planned out which is an unheard of amount of preparation for me) I shall doggedly stick with my in initial idea, even if my brain only now seems to want to give me ideas for the other story.

This happens every time I try to write something!
  • MetalDog 23 Oct 2012 14:17:21 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I get the same thing. A tempting new idea sauntered up sometime around the 20th and I told it to get in the queue. It's only tempting because the idea we plan to run with starts to look scary as the start approaches, I reckon.

• sunjumper 23 Oct 2012 14:26:18 3,197 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The wonders of inspiration.
    All the cool ideas always come out when the one you are working at is starting to flow. If you are stalled they are easily recognized by their absence.

The brain. It is a curious, slightly treacherous, thing.

On my end the terror has gone away. In the end the only One True Disaster is the blank page.
    Failure isn't bad prose or a stupid plot. Failure is an empty space where a story should be.
  • MetalDog 23 Oct 2012 14:36:12 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sunjumper wrote:
    On my end the terror has gone away. In the end the only One True Disaster is the blank page.
    Failure isn't bad prose or a stupid plot. Failure is an empty space where a story should be.
    QFT - absolutely the spirit of NaNo!

Glad to hear the fear has diminished =)

• Page

of 51 First / Last