Getting a dog Page 4

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Moshbag 10 Nov 2012 15:37:40 106 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Buy a top hat, cut the top off and keep your dog in there.
    That would definitely work, I'd avoid doffing it though.

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off!

• nickthegun 10 Nov 2012 15:40:07 61,349 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You would also have to wear one of those little jew caps to avoid 'accidents'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Moot_Point 10 Nov 2012 15:42:45 4,631 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @nickthegun Yes. I can see how a cloth skullcap would be waterproof.

Edited by Moot_Point at 15:46:53 10-11-2012

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Deleted user 10 November 2012 15:58:13
    Skullcaps don't have to be cloth.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 16:03:11
  • RobAnybody 10 Nov 2012 16:26:01 945 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Mowglie - As she's already hurt herself once with the existing crate I certainly wouldn't use that one again - if you can find a 'soft' material one that's suitable then go for it (assuming that she doesn't manage to chew through and eat the material ......... ).

I only tried my previous pup in a crate on the advice of the breeder - never again. Then again, we have a 'secure' kitchen that the pup can sleep in at night with no risk of him injuring himself or getting anywhere that he shouldn't. Besides occasional whining on the first few nights he settled in really well.

Each to his/her own of course - I'm simply against crates and apparently your poor pup isn't a fan of them either.

I know some people say that crate training is important, but I've had five dogs from pups and all except one (and that was only briefly) have not been crate trained. They've all grown up to be happy, healthy, obedient, well house trained dogs. And all without the use of a crate.
  • nickthegun 10 Nov 2012 16:27:11 61,349 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @nickthegun Yes. I can see how a cloth skullcap would be waterproof.
    Thats the biggest flaw in a plan that involves using a kippah to stop a puppy thats being carried on your head in a top hat with a hole in it crapping on your head?

Gold star of pedantry for you, sir.

Edited by nickthegun at 16:27:53 10-11-2012

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Khanivor 10 Nov 2012 16:51:45 41,298 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice flair.
  • effinjamie 10 Nov 2012 18:35:19 909 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People might not like crates but it can really accelerate the House training of a new puppy as they don't want to soil their own bed. When we got our dogs, they spent all their sleeping moments in the crate, as soon as they wake up let them out and straight outside. Should always remember never to use it as a punishment.

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• Load_2.0 10 Nov 2012 18:44:47 19,684 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Buy a top hat, cut the top off and keep your dog in there.
    That is just cruel.

You know full well that there are no top hats large enough for mowgli's head.
  • RobAnybody 13 Nov 2012 09:10:22 945 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Mowgli - how's the pup?
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 09:35:08
    RobAnybody wrote:
    @Mowglie - As she's already hurt herself once with the existing crate I certainly wouldn't use that one again - if you can find a 'soft' material one that's suitable then go for it (assuming that she doesn't manage to chew through and eat the material ......... ).

I only tried my previous pup in a crate on the advice of the breeder - never again. Then again, we have a 'secure' kitchen that the pup can sleep in at night with no risk of him injuring himself or getting anywhere that he shouldn't. Besides occasional whining on the first few nights he settled in really well.

Each to his/her own of course - I'm simply against crates and apparently your poor pup isn't a fan of them either.

I know some people say that crate training is important, but I've had five dogs from pups and all except one (and that was only briefly) have not been crate trained. They've all grown up to be happy, healthy, obedient, well house trained dogs. And all without the use of a crate.
    Yeah we decided to buy a crate as that was what everyone recommended but the last few days has definitely made us reconsider. So at the moment we have moved her into the spare room with the crate under the desk so she can't get on top and hurt herself again. She also now has free roam of the hall (which is big) so can run about and get into mischief. Had her first night with this set up and it went ok (had to get up a couple times but that is to be expected for a puppy). Going to try again during the afternoon.

We are relaxing a bit more with her now. She is a puppy, she is going to get into trouble. We need to stop chasing after her and panicking all the time. I think all the reading and research before hand has only served to make us think we have to raise her by the book and causing us to panic when it isn't going well! Which is silly, as I've had a dog before that was a rescue with a terrible past and he grew up relatively fine without all of this nonsense.

She is doing better now cheers. Walking on it as normal and the vet said yesterday that she thinks she just gave herself a dead leg (bloody expensive vet visit for a dead leg!).

It's driving me insane not being able to take her for a walk though. Wish these vaccinations would be quicker!
  • Benno 13 Nov 2012 09:37:06 10,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    post a pic of the pup :)
  • neilka 13 Nov 2012 09:38:07 16,567 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    post a pic of your tits

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Jeepers 13 Nov 2012 09:55:54 13,316 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    post a pic of your sister's tits
    Rooky mistake neilka.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 10:01:03
    http://s1067.beta.photobucket.com/user/smogi/media/Ettah/DSC_0043.jpg.html
  • mrpon 13 Nov 2012 10:28:23 29,590 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Possibly the most hideous sofa in the world.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 13 November 2012 10:34:39
    Haha yup, furnished flat. I hope you are not saying that with a black/cream leather sofa though!
  • Dougs 13 Nov 2012 10:35:54 69,547 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Very understanding landlord, letting you have pets. Especially a puppy.
  • RobAnybody 13 Nov 2012 11:01:26 945 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Mowgli - Great to hear that she is doing okay now. Great photo too, she looks like a lovely fluffy bundle - looks happy too! :)

And yes, relax with her - it's all too easy to worry about pups. Be careful of course but don't over-worry.

Yeah, vaccinations take time, but it's worth the wait to make sure that she's fully protected against the main doggie viruses.
  • Lukus 13 Nov 2012 11:06:47 19,495 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And we all thought Deckard's dogs looked gay...

Paintings & Photographs

• Stickman 13 Nov 2012 11:54:16 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the important thing to remember is that it's only a dog.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Deleted user 13 November 2012 12:19:57
    Mowgli that's a gorgeous-looking dog. I'm envious.

When it comes to dealing with it whining and crying at night, you really just have to put your foot down and ignore it. Puppies learn very quickly and if you go running to it every time it cries or whines then it will use that to its advantage and constantly do it for attention. Once it realises that on a night it's to be left alone to go to sleep it will soon get into a routine and accept the fact.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 12:21:05
    Here's my bundle of energy.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 12:55:01
    Cheers, that's a gorgeous dog you have there too!

Yeah finding the ignoring bit really hard. She doesn't just cry, she goes berserk and starts ends up hurting herself. Set up a web cam to monitor her on my phone but that won't help when we are at work...
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 13:12:12
    HairyArse wrote:
    I love that you captured just the right moment as the little man riding the dog got flung off. :)
  • DaM 13 Nov 2012 13:45:30 13,541 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    A friend used to have one like that, he was great. So friendly and intelligent. And shaggy.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 13:51:01
    To be fair, my girlfriend took the photo. I'm the little man in the distance with my other dog.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 13:56:39
    You'll telling me you don't have a giant dog that you ride at weekends?

The illusion is broken! ;'(
  • Page

of 10 First / Last