Getting a dog Page 3

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Moot_Point 10 Nov 2012 11:39:55 3,983 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You buy a dog and stick it in a crate? That is cruel IMO.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• RelaxedMikki 10 Nov 2012 11:48:29 927 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bonfire night was a nightmare with our dog. 3 nights of constant barking at every bang.

She's adorable, though. Just told my daughter that 'the scones are in the bowl in the kitchen'. The dog suddenly jumps up off the couch, where she had been curled up next to me, and rushes off. She comes back a second later with a ball in her mouth. Her head was tilted sideways and her ears standing to attention in that confused 'is this right?' way that dogs have. I guess she thaught I said 'ball' not 'bowl'!
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 12:37:14
    @RobAnybody Yeah I've got her booked in again for Monday, going to try and rest her as much as possible - not easy! - and keep giving her her medicine. Fucking hate seeing her like this but everyone is telling me it is to be expected from a puppy.

Yeah I felt exactly the same about crates before. But I have spoken to three different vet practices (several vets, two dog walkers and a puppy class - we've done our research!) and all have stressed how important it is. My problem is that I didn't have the heart to lock her in so let her roam and she ended up hurting herself. Need to start locking her in at night so she doesn't end up hurting herself but fuck me is it hard.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 12:37:52
    @Moot_Point You have absolutely no idea what the fuck you are talking about so kindly fuck off.
  • ecureuil 10 Nov 2012 12:41:41 76,729 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Crate training is an important part of bringing up a puppy. You can get soft material crates instead of metal bars, if you're worried about your dog hurting itself.
  • neilka 10 Nov 2012 12:41:49 15,849 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does the crate also contain any powerups/ammunition? Or can you push it around to solve a tedious puzzle?

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Deleted user 10 November 2012 12:45:19
    ecureuil wrote:
    Crate training is an important part of bringing up a puppy. You can get soft material crates instead of metal bars, if you're worried about your dog hurting itself.
    Yeah we're starting to wish we did that and might consider buying another, smaller soft material crate and leave the big one until she is older and a little bit less daft!
  • Lukus 10 Nov 2012 12:50:33 19,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Could at least have left her with a crowbar.

Paintings & Photographs

• drhcnip 10 Nov 2012 12:52:45 2,488 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mowgli

we've used a crate since we got our nutter at approx 3 mths from the rescue 2 & half years ago

don't feel guilty about it, ours treats it as a den/bedroom and knows that's where he goes for a nap at night time and when we go out - never been distressed and never been a problem - even goes with us on holiday

they're only cruel if used incorrectly, like anything with dogs

Edited by drhcnip at 12:53:22 10-11-2012
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 12:56:51
    Would you ever put a cat or indeed kitten in a crate?
  • drhcnip 10 Nov 2012 13:06:35 2,488 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nope, but wouldn't have a cat to start with

also, there's a big difference - dogs are den animals, cats are not, so if used correctly, the crate is the 'den' - he goes in and out of there quite happily of his own accord

http://www.americanhumane.org/animals/adoption-pet-care/caring-for-your-pet/dog-dens.html

Edited by drhcnip at 13:09:03 10-11-2012
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 13:24:19
    Ah that seems alright then. Dogs love freedom too so when they get bigger that's why people stop putting them in crates or cages but no harm is done from putting puppies in crates or cages. Never put a chicken in a crate, it will go fucking ballistic.

Same goes for penguins.

Edited by oi at 13:24:59 10-11-2012
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 13:33:44
    I've always crated my penguins.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 13:44:19
    @drhcnip Yeah I just need to be strong. Fucking hard though when you hear them cry :(

I want it to be her den and safe area.
  • Dirtbox 10 Nov 2012 13:44:49 77,712 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That it can hang itself from.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• nickthegun 10 Nov 2012 13:50:44 59,492 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goodbye cruel world.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deckard1 10 Nov 2012 13:58:03 27,732 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd probably hang myself if mowgli bought me. Oh and stop making my dogs less cool you fucker. Send it back, you've already gimped it's leg. It'll be lucky if it's got both its eyes by the end of the week.

Hush you ponce

• nickthegun 10 Nov 2012 14:05:51 59,492 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You couldnt make your dogs less cool if you set them on fire.

He totally called it

• Deckard1 10 Nov 2012 14:08:02 27,732 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pipe down snail boy

Hush you ponce

• nickthegun 10 Nov 2012 14:09:19 59,492 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats not really much of an insult when you mince about with two four legged powder puffs.

He totally called it

• Folant 10 Nov 2012 14:09:27 1,161 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Crushing about the leg, but in a way it's good it happened because now you're a little more focused on it.
    My Staffie was a bit of a whiner when he was a pup, I think most dogs are when they're younger(social animals, etc). That extra bit of care you take will help them figure out their place in the pack and will be more submissive when you're guiding their personality as they grow.
    Heartbreaking, but worth it in the end, a well raised dog is the best animal you can have.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• AaronTurner 10 Nov 2012 14:30:37 7,684 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Since I built a kind of largish caged area for my dog it's calmed her down a lot. She is very old / senile now, if I see that she's about to have a session of anxiety or confusion I now put her in the caged area and she seems to accept it and settles down. It's been an absolute life saver, there have been nights in the past where I was getting a couple of hours sleep because of her behaviour. I was really tearing my hair out about it.
  • neilka 10 Nov 2012 14:38:16 15,849 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How much are stick insects these days?

• nickthegun 10 Nov 2012 14:42:47 59,492 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not much, but the emotional investment is huge. you have to spend the first four nights up a tree with them.

He totally called it

• Dougs 10 Nov 2012 14:52:48 67,200 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :D
  • quadfather 10 Nov 2012 14:59:00 11,983 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Interesting thread.

We've been planning about getting a dog for some time now. We're both in our 40's, own the house, and have just finished all the messy renovations. We've also got 2 cats, so were mulling over the puppy/dog situation.

We both work, but there's some stables nearby, where people can drop their dog off for the day - so he/she would get a lot of exercise, meet other dogs, meet other people etc

Trouble is, one of our cats (10) is fine with pretty much everything. But the other one is pretty much a nervous wreck, so we'd be worried he'd just leave the house.

We've gone through various breeds. We don't want a rat, and we don't want something absolutely massive. We were thinking of a collie cross, or maybe a greyhound/lurcher (Sister has a lurcher and I know it quite well - it's exercise requirements, how long you can leave it alone for etc)

So even though we've gone through quite a lot of the prep, we're still some way off getting one

What kinds of choices / issues are there, when you have cats at 10 + 11 and then introduce a dog into the mix?

Edit - Mowgli - really sorry to hear about your pup - how is it getting along now?

Edited by quadfather at 15:03:19 10-11-2012

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Moshbag 10 Nov 2012 15:13:15 106 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mowgli Depending on how big the puppy is, I recommend taking it out and about just carrying it in a shoulder bag (I wouldn't sling it in a sack over your shoulder), try and get it used to outdoors and noises etc, before the vaccinations. Might help with its energy levels too.

As for crates, it's purely a preference, I never have and never will crate my dogs but if you think it's right for yours then go for it with the proper advice.

@quadfather Terriers all the way for me!

Also, all dog owners should read "In Defence of Dogs" by John Bradshaw, very good book that dispels a lot of the gubbins people think about dogs and their behaviour.

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off!

• Deckard1 10 Nov 2012 15:14:54 27,732 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A fucking shoulder bag?

Hush you ponce

• Deleted user 10 November 2012 15:23:10
    Not like there's any way it's going to look gayer with that dog. Might as well.
  • neilka 10 Nov 2012 15:28:06 15,849 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Buy a top hat, cut the top off and keep your dog in there.

• Page

of 10 First / Last