Getting a dog Page 9

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Deleted user 13 November 2012 18:30:17
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Was that abusive...?

EDIT: just read 'quotes'. Ignore me. I understand now.
    Nothing you said was abusive but I deleted you quoting Mowgli calling someone a c-unit or something. :)
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 18:30:48
    I bought my c-unit from Ikea.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 18:31:45
    You appear to have deleted everything but the offensive posts HA!
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 18:39:45 20,686 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @HairyArse It's fine mate, I get it now. My post was a poor attempt at humour, but I see why you took it down. Not an issue but thanks for explaining.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 18:40:20
    My c-unit is manned by seamen.
  • eleven63 13 Nov 2012 18:48:15 1,603 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    I've deleted the abusive comments from this thread.

Guys, it's clear a lot of you don't like Mowgli and appear to be doing nothing more than posting inflammatory statements to provoke a reaction.

If you have nothing constructive to say, leave him be.

Sure, his situation might not be ideal. But 99% of dog owners have a work-life situation that's far from ideal. He's in here seeking advice to help look after his dog and looking for genuine advice so can we leave it at that, please?
    Well said - btw went for a rescue dog (half Jack Russell, half Dachshund of all things!) small dog to ease the issue over exercise/both working/living in London, etc - you can see her on the front cover of the latest Michael Morpurgo book, Medal for Leroy :)

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 19:02:21 20,686 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My Mum and Dad have a part terrier part Daschshund...it never shuts up. Anything that walks past, burps, farts, blows in the wind, bats it's eyelid a thousand yards away...WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF YELP YELP YELP YELP WOOF SCREAM WOOF WHINE WOOF.

Lovely dog, but bloody annoying.
  • monkehhh 13 Nov 2012 19:07:59 3,324 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My aunt breeds Cairn terriers, good laugh for an hour or so but I just want them to calm down and sleep after that. Definitely want a greyhound one day.
  • ronuds 13 Nov 2012 19:10:20 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We didn't hear my dog bark or make any noise at all for almost the first year (got him age 1). Scared the crap out of us when he finally did bark.

He doesn't really bark, though - more like a howl. I finally figured out something to make him howl when we want him to, so from that I'm trying to make him do it on command.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 19:29:42
    ronuds wrote:
    I finally figured out something to make him howl when we want him to, so from that I'm trying to make him do it on command.
    O_o
  • eleven63 13 Nov 2012 19:32:42 1,603 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    My Mum and Dad have a part terrier part Daschshund...it never shuts up. Anything that walks past, burps, farts, blows in the wind, bats it's eyelid a thousand yards away...WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF YELP YELP YELP YELP WOOF SCREAM WOOF WHINE WOOF.

Lovely dog, but bloody annoying.
    Yep, know where you are coming from - oddly, say, you visit a pub/shop/someone's home just the once, and then revisit (could be the same day, the next, a year later) that's it, it's her territory now and so barks at anything that dares cross the threshold! Owners and all!

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Dougs 13 Nov 2012 20:18:16 67,739 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yep, there used to be a dog track at the end of my road that was forever giving them away. Back when I was mad keen on getting a dog that seemed to be the only option, but in the end even that would have caused too many problems.
    Catford dogs was ace. Decrepit, but ace.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 21:16:47
    ronuds wrote:
    We didn't hear my dog bark or make any noise at all for almost the first year (got him age 1). Scared the crap out of us when he finally did bark.

He doesn't really bark, though - more like a howl. I finally figured out something to make him howl when we want him to, so from that I'm trying to make him do it on command.
    That's ace. You're meant to be able to get the dog to bark and howl on command so in theory you can make it shush on command too! Our dog loves making every sound in the book, something we definitely need to work on!
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 21:24:21
    Just left her alone for two hours while at badminton and set up the camera. Damn feed went down but came home and it recorded all movement. Sleep 40 minutes. Wake up and wander into crate (from floor). Sleep there for 5 minutes then get up and wander back to the floor - sleep there for 30 minutes (why does she hate comfy beds so much?!). Wakes up and wander around hall, finds some treats I hid for her. Sits at door for about a minute. Back to sleep.

Need to get this up to three/four hours without fuss and we are sorted for days where we are both working. Key is to tire her out before hand so took her into the big (or rather very long) garden and just ran back and forth like a loon for 40 minutes. Will be so much better when I can take her to the park or along the running routes to tire her out instead of up and down the garden.
  • KD 13 Nov 2012 21:39:04 665 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My parents shih tzu got put down today, she was a bit mad but when I had to mind her when my parents went on holiday it was as if she was my own dog. Breaks your heart but we will always have the memories.

Edited by KD at 21:39:26 13-11-2012
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 21:59:37
    :-( Sorry to hear that
  • jamievilla 13 Nov 2012 23:47:27 535 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sorry man, horrible thing to happen.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2012 11:45:36

My poor abused and neglected pup enjoying her 4 minutes of playtime a week before going back in the cage.
  • elephantjuice 14 Nov 2012 12:31:23 669 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Awesome dog!
  • Load_2.0 14 Nov 2012 12:39:13 19,281 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Even a famine stricken Somalian orphan smiles once before passing on.

Shameful photo.
  • Zizoo 14 Nov 2012 12:43:55 8,378 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Where are the shackles?!
  • Deleted user 14 November 2012 12:44:21
    mowgli wrote:
    Just left her alone for two hours while at badminton and set up the camera. Damn feed went down but came home and it recorded all movement. Sleep 40 minutes. Wake up and wander into crate (from floor). Sleep there for 5 minutes then get up and wander back to the floor - sleep there for 30 minutes (why does she hate comfy beds so much?!). Wakes up and wander around hall, finds some treats I hid for her. Sits at door for about a minute. Back to sleep.

Need to get this up to three/four hours without fuss and we are sorted for days where we are both working. Key is to tire her out before hand so took her into the big (or rather very long) garden and just ran back and forth like a loon for 40 minutes. Will be so much better when I can take her to the park or along the running routes to tire her out instead of up and down the garden.
    Sounds like what bored animals do in captivity.
  • kalel 14 Nov 2012 12:53:12 87,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    What?
    Hard of hearing? The guidelines are far too stringent and the kennels would be even more overcrowded than they already are. It's as absurd as adoption laws.
    I don't know about the RSPCA but my experience of the Kennel Club is that they're very practical and realistic as an organisation. If you read through the website it simply isn't true that they recommend a large house and a large garden for every dog. In fact there are even several medium and large dogs that they say would be suitably for smaller environments. Yes, there probably is some leeway to their recommendations, but I wouldn't go to the opposite end of the scale to their suggestions (i.e. if they recommend a large house with large garden and country environment, then perhaps an urban flat is not sensible).

Also I don't really understand why kennels would be even more overcrowded if people stuck to their guidelines. Surely the opposite of that is true?
  • Dougs 14 Nov 2012 12:55:11 67,739 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

Sounds like what bored animals do in captivity.
    Indeed. I too was surprised at the lack of juggling that went on when my dog was left alone.

All joking aside, I think she'll be fine for more than a few hours Mowgli. If she was going to flip, she'd have done it early on.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2012 12:57:53
    There's always slight leeway due to the dog's personality but that's often hard to be aware of before you get them. If you've had them a few years then move then that's different.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2012 13:25:58
    It was the exact same behaviour from when we were in the house. And when we sat out in the garden. So fish somewhere else please.
  • kalel 14 Nov 2012 13:27:28 87,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    My poor abused and neglected pup...
    Bit rich to accuse others of fishing eh?

Edited by kalel at 13:27:38 14-11-2012
  • Deleted user 14 November 2012 13:28:53
    @kalel I spoke to the samoyed rescue and checked the samoyed association. Both said it would be fine in a flat providing it gets adequate exercise. Kennel Club is one opinion, not devaluing it in the slightest. I didn't pay much attention to the whole messy kc registered thing which I have no interest in when it comes to a dog.
  • LeoliansBro 14 Nov 2012 13:34:05 44,246 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 14 November 2012 13:34:36
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 10 First / Last