Getting a dog Page 8

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• kalel 13 Nov 2012 16:45:57 89,142 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    glo wrote:
    We have 2 greyhounds which are left for about 6 hours on weekdays. They are both fine and actually seem to enjoy being left alone to sleep through the day. On the rare occasions where I have worked from home for a few days they look fairly pleased when I finally return to work and leave them in peace.

Should note that they have the run of the house and that it did take a little time getting them used to being left when we first got them. Also, greyhounds are notoriously lazy and quiet dogs.
    Greyhounds are fairly well known for being able to spend long periods of time on their own. They're very low energy indeed, plus don't need much company. They're pretty much universally recommended as the perfect (and possibly only) dog for people out the house all day.
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2012 16:46:38 60,974 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If this thread has been useful for anything, its teaching me that a crate isnt just a big wooden box, but another name for something a dog can hang itself from.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2012 16:47:25 44,722 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, there used to be a dog track at the end of my road that was forever giving them away. Back when I was mad keen on getting a dog that seemed to be the only option, but in the end even that would have caused too many problems.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• glo 13 Nov 2012 16:47:44 3,434 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ronuds wrote:

What do dogs do all day, really - in the wild or a house? They don't do all that much!
    A few years ago I set up a security camera that I was testing for work to see what our previous greyhound did during the day.

Answer: Sleep 90%
    Wander about aimlessly 5%
    Go get a drink from Kitchen 5%

So yes, they don't do a great deal during the day.
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 16:49:35 89,142 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Again, you have a greyhound. They are notoriously low energy. Samoyeds (for example) are extremely high energy.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 16:49:50
    Greyhounds look kinda weird though, like they're dogs that a child drew while wearing their parents' prescription glasses.
  • ronuds 13 Nov 2012 16:50:38 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    What do dogs do all day, really - in the wild or a house?
    Seek out crates to lock themselves in?
    Dogs sleep anywhere from 14 - 17 hours per day. That's what!

The way dogs are treated these days, they have the freakin' life! I'm not feeling bad for one second because they have to be in a cage for a few hours. Bastards have it a thousand times better than I do.

I think about my dog in the wild and laugh - he'd be running back home in a heartbeat, begging for treats, bothering us for his dinner. Hell, that's what I'd do if I were him.
  • glo 13 Nov 2012 16:50:51 3,434 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yep, there used to be a dog track at the end of my road that was forever giving them away. Back when I was mad keen on getting a dog that seemed to be the only option, but in the end even that would have caused too many problems.
    They do still require some sacrifices (don't have many foreign holidays, have to schedule our work hours to suit dogs) and I don't think its fair to leave them regularly for 8+ hours/day but they are probably the best dog to own if there is no one at home on a regular basis.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 16:54:53
    I've set up a camera for her and we monitored what she did. After crying, she chewed on her toys for a short while and then just fell asleep. Got up every now and then to repeat this and went back to sleep. It is the panicked and frantic crying when we first leave we are trying to tackle.

For anyone interested, the iCam app for android/ios is brilliant. Connects to computer effortlessness and does stuff like recording all movement, notifying you when there is any movement etc. Brilliant app that has put our minds - slightly - at ease.
  • LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2012 16:59:00 44,722 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    glo wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    They do still require some sacrifices (don't have many foreign holidays, have to schedule our work hours to suit dogs) and I don't think its fair to leave them regularly for 8+ hours/day but they are probably the best dog to own if there is no one at home on a regular basis.
    Yep, these are in fact the things I factored in when I decided not to get one.

• kalel 13 Nov 2012 17:05:09 89,142 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When we do get a dog, it probably will be a greyhound, or possibly a French Bulldog if I can spend a bit more time at home. Love the latter. They're so cute.
  • neilka 13 Nov 2012 17:08:32 16,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    URL of dogcam please

/unzips

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Deleted user 13 November 2012 17:15:22
    Private shows only cheapskate.
  • AaronTurner 13 Nov 2012 17:56:51 7,834 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If people went by the recommendations of the rspca or kennel club or whatever then all the dogs would be getting put down. It's absurd. A dog isn't going to care about where it stays if it's happy.
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 17:59:07 89,142 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What?
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 18:09:33 20,859 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A dog wouldn't care where it stays if it's happy. But it's the word 'happy' that is important there.

Just because you have a big garden and a big house doesn't mean to say it'll be happy by rights, but neither does it mean with a loving family in a smaller house.

Each type of dog requires different things, and each dog in itself will have different needs. The RSPCA and Kennel club guidelines are there to help and are, well, guidelines.

I've known perfectly happy dogs left a lot of the day that shouldn't be (Border Collies, for example. I know one that was very happy to be left alone. That goes completely against their common nature though and the RSPCA and Kennel club would rightfully recommend that you didn't do that).

They just provide the most ideal scenario where they feel the dog would be most comfortable. Nothing more. Quite where being put down comes into it I've no idea.
  • AaronTurner 13 Nov 2012 18:15:33 7,834 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    What?
    Hard of hearing? The guidelines are far too stringent and the kennels would be even more overcrowded than they already are. It's as absurd as adoption laws.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 18:21:18
    Post deleted
  • LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2012 18:21:22 44,722 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

• Deleted user 13 November 2012 18:21:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 18:22:09
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 18:22:34
    Post deleted
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 18:22:42 20,859 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 18:22:43 20,859 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They are just guidelines though. You're not forced to follow them (as long as you're not mistreating). They're there to help people understand what dog might be best suited and even if a dog is suitable at all.

I wouldn't follow them wholesale and wouldn't necessarily recommend people do, as each dog is different, but they're useful advice and should definitely be considered before taking on a dog.
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 18:24:05 20,859 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why has my post been deleted? I didn't delete anything. What was wrong with that post?
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 18:24:55
    I've deleted the abusive comments from this thread.

Guys, it's clear a lot of you don't like Mowgli and appear to be doing nothing more than posting inflammatory statements to provoke a reaction.

If you have nothing constructive to say, leave him be.

Sure, his situation might not be ideal. But 99% of dog owners have a work-life situation that's far from ideal. He's in here seeking advice to help look after his dog and looking for genuine advice so can we leave it at that, please?
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 18:26:37
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Why has my post been deleted? I didn't delete anything. What was wrong with that post?
    Nothing mate. I'm just cleaning up the abuse and quotes.
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 18:29:11 20,859 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was that abusive...?

EDIT: just read 'quotes'. Ignore me. I understand now.

Edited by kentmonkey at 18:29:42 13-11-2012
  • Page

of 10 First / Last