Getting a dog Page 7

  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 15:43:08 20,696 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't work from home (used to be able to but not now) and family don't live close enough. Everyone I know is a working couple. It's kind of the way in this area as house prices (and everything, actually) are high and therefore most if not all couples I know have to work to afford to live reasonably.

    I can't actually think of one couple I know that don't both work. Hadn't thought of it before.

    Dogless life, until I retire most likely! :o(
  • Scurrminator 13 Nov 2012 15:47:57 8,412 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got a pug.
    Ever since we've had him (10 weeks) he has been left to his own devices in the day whilst we worked (we had a week off with him when we first got him).
    Before he was house trained he was in a large cage in the house; now he has the kitchen whilst we work. He is fine. He gets walked 3 or 4 times a week (new baby makes it hard to do every day) and he's as happy as Larry.

    You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

  • JuanKerr 13 Nov 2012 15:55:08 36,263 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Before he was house trained he was in a large cage in the house; now he has the kitchen whilst we work. He is fine. He gets walked 3 or 4 times a week (new baby makes it hard to do every day) and he's as happy as Larry.
    Yep, pretty much with the same with our Staffie cross. If we go out, she curls up on her bed in the dining room and sleeps until we get home. Never destroys anything or makes a mess - a good sign that she is content.

    Edited by JuanKerr at 15:55:28 13-11-2012
  • SpaceDave3000 13 Nov 2012 15:58:39 78,217 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So have you decided what you're going to do when you're bored of it?

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2012 15:58:50 44,293 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or maybe you don't like being told that you can't leave a dog alone in a small flat for extended periods.

    I guess maybe because you know this, and are looking for mindless support on here. Or 'verification', if you will.

    Edit: Actually, I think you mean 'validation'. But no matter.

    Edited by LeoliansBro at 16:00:23 13-11-2012

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Scurrminator 13 Nov 2012 16:00:59 8,412 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I should also add that he can hold his toilet habits for a good 15 hours (not that I'd ever do that to him; but there have been occasions when it's been out of our control).
    This wouldn't fly with a bigger, more energetic dog but I think there is something for everyone's lifestyle really.

    You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

  • SpaceDave3000 13 Nov 2012 16:02:01 78,217 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Doesn't Juan live in a farmhouse in the middle of a million acres of field?

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • mrpon 13 Nov 2012 16:02:09 28,941 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli, that super energetic guy.

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • JuanKerr 13 Nov 2012 16:03:42 36,263 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Doesn't Juan live in a farmhouse in the middle of a million acres of field?
    Not quite :)

    But we've got a fairly big house and decent sized garden. Plus I work from home and have done since the day we got the dog.
  • LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2012 16:05:54 44,293 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Or maybe you don't like being told that you can't leave a dog alone in a small flat for extended periods.

    I guess maybe because you know this, and are looking for mindless support on here. Or 'verification', if you will.

    Funny how you aren't directing this at Juan or anyone else. Stop being a cunt for the sake of it.
    That's because I know Juan and he wouldn't dream of owning a dog back when he lived in a flat.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • psychokitten Moderator 13 Nov 2012 16:14:56 7,794 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the point is made, dudes.
    It doesn't help when you react like that either though. But anyway, back on topic.
  • LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2012 16:15:46 44,293 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Back on topic, mowgli's dog is unsuitable and someone needs to tell him that.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 16:16:05
    And for the rest, I have a wife who is home more often than not during the day. The thread was about how to get her settled(the dog) and whether a crate was the way to go. Lb, you said nothing of Juan and others using one so fuck off rather than try and highlight just me.

    Edited by mowgli at 16:17:37 13-11-2012
  • ronuds 13 Nov 2012 16:16:42 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In mowgli's defense, from where I'm sitting he's already doing a lot more to try and ensure his pooch is happy than the vast majority of people I know with dogs.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 16:17:09
    psychokitten wrote:
    I think the point is made, dudes.
    It doesn't help when you react like that either though. But anyway, back on topic.
    React how exactly? You didn't say anything to lb when he got all personal with his posts.
  • psychokitten Moderator 13 Nov 2012 16:20:06 7,794 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm telling everyone to knock it off.

    Seriously, LB, you made your point, move on.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 16:22:36
    I am actually curious if he has an issue with Juan keeping a 'high energy dog in a cage' or if he is in fact just speaking shite.
  • psychokitten Moderator 13 Nov 2012 16:23:15 7,794 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    And for the rest, I have a wife who is home more often than not during the day. The thread was about how to get her settled(the dog) and whether a crate was the way to go. Lb, you said nothing of Juan and others using one so fuck off rather than try and highlight just me.
    Crates, meh. I've seen a lot of trainers swear by them, more in the US than here though, for some reason. It seems to work really well for some dogs, but I was never comfortable with using them. The trick with them is to only use them as a comfort place, somewhere your dog loves sleeping and get settled. When people start using them to punish dogs, it all goes sour.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 16:25:47
    Never ever planned on using a crate until everyone I spoke to and everything I read swore by them. Still don't feel comfortable and my word neither does she! But want her to like it (even if we never close it).
  • ronuds 13 Nov 2012 16:26:09 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:
    When people start using them to punish dogs, it all goes sour.
    I don't think a dog would be able to put reason behind why he's being put in a cage anyway!
  • JuanKerr 13 Nov 2012 16:29:50 36,263 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Im still proud of my ‘ratboy’ cracks on the first page, made on the day of expo. LB tutted me for winding up JK. Good times.
    Come 'ere you little scamp.

    /ruffles hair
  • Chopsen 13 Nov 2012 16:33:04 16,019 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WOOF WOOF!
  • JuanKerr 13 Nov 2012 16:33:18 36,263 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah, went for one of these instead.
  • ronuds 13 Nov 2012 16:35:35 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Never ever planned on using a crate until everyone I spoke to and everything I read swore by them. Still don't feel comfortable and my word neither does she! But want her to like it (even if we never close it).
    Because people think like people and people wouldn't want to be in a crate. That has nothing to do with how a dog feels about it, though.

    What do dogs do all day, really - in the wild or a house? They don't do all that much! That's how I look at it, anyway. Obviously I'm not talking about 12 hours at a time, but I see no harm in a few per day.

    When she gets older and more trustworthy, maybe you won't need it.
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 16:40:51 87,764 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    What do dogs do all day, really - in the wild or a house?
    Seek out crates to lock themselves in?
  • glo 13 Nov 2012 16:42:29 3,425 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We have 2 greyhounds which are left for about 6 hours on weekdays. They are both fine and actually seem to enjoy being left alone to sleep through the day. On the rare occasions where I have worked from home for a few days they look fairly pleased when I finally return to work and leave them in peace.

    Should note that they have the run of the house and that it did take a little time getting them used to being left when we first got them. Also, greyhounds are notoriously lazy and quiet dogs.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 16:42:53
    Dogs in the wild sniff around rubbish bins and team up with tramps.
  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

Log in or register to reply