Getting a dog Page 6

  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

  • neilka 13 Nov 2012 15:05:19 14,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are dog parks a thing?
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:05:20
    This should lighten the mood in here.

    Or this.
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 15:06:02 84,037 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:

    The point is a large house with a big garden is the ideal home for everything. Doesn't mean a large flat with a shared garden is cruel in anyway.

    No you don't know my situation. You are jumping on the typical bandwagon as you're bored (I assume). I did research it - a lot. What I read indicated they are suitable for flats as they are not the type of dog you can expect to be happy entertaining itself outside alone. There are 5 large parks within short walking distance, including the massive one we overlook. It will get more exercise than most dogs in large houses with big gardens.
    Not ideal. Recommended.

    Your logic is a bit odd to me. Just because a dog doesn't like being left alone outside, doesn't mean it's ok to keep it inside a small space. It's a big energetic dog. I've done my research as well and we also looked at Sammys. We decided we couldn't meet their needs.

    But you obviously feel you can, so fine. Good luck.

    Edited by kalel at 15:07:28 13-11-2012
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:08:38
    Cheers, will try it. It is the safest environment for her but she really doesn't want to be there! She is a great dog. Doesn't get startled by anything. Doesn't care about postmen, neighbours, cats etc. Just likes to meet people. God I can't wait to get her socialising with the dog groups in the park.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:09:30
    People are jumping on the bandwagon because you're being very confusing about the situation.

    You have implied that you live in a studio flat. You have implied you disagree with the kennel clubs advice, loosely implying they have some sort of agenda other than the animals well being.

    If you want any useful comments just clear up your situation for the audience.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:10:43
    neilka wrote:
    Are dog parks a thing?
    That's dogging parks you're thinking of.
  • neilka 13 Nov 2012 15:12:17 14,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's non-dogging parks?
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:12:56
    kalel wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

    The point is a large house with a big garden is the ideal home for everything. Doesn't mean a large flat with a shared garden is cruel in anyway.

    No you don't know my situation. You are jumping on the typical bandwagon as you're bored (I assume). I did research it - a lot. What I read indicated they are suitable for flats as they are not the type of dog you can expect to be happy entertaining itself outside alone. There are 5 large parks within short walking distance, including the massive one we overlook. It will get more exercise than most dogs in large houses with big gardens.
    Not ideal. Recommended.

    Your logic is a bit odd to me. Just because a dog doesn't like being left alone outside, doesn't mean it's ok to keep it inside a small space. It's a big energetic dog. I've done my research as well and we also looked at Sammys. We decided we couldn't meet their needs.

    But you obviously feel you can, so fine. Good luck.
    Thanks.

    I assume you couldn't meet a dog's needs because you have a kid? Bit cruel to try and raise both.

    Whether we live in a manor or a flat. You obviously cannot leave your dog outside when you are out anyway so short of just leaving the back door open when you are at home because you can't be arsed going for a walk there is very little difference.
  • LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2012 15:13:33 41,903 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's pretty cruel to leave a dog for long periods, though.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:13:35
    In my experience, and I'm talking from having 2 German Shepherds, if you're leaving a dog alone by itself for any length of time, the maximum should be about 5 hours. And that's only after having given it a decent walk before hand.

    My routine is generally to walk my two in a morning at 7am, then leave them in until lunchtime when we'll have another walk. In the spring/summer they'll get a third walk in an evening but during the winter months they don't get one after lunch. The big difference here, however, is that we have a garden they can use to pee/poo in.

    It also helps having 2 dogs as they keep each other company.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:17:26
    Aargh. wrote:
    People are jumping on the bandwagon because you're being very confusing about the situation.

    You have implied that you live in a studio flat. You have implied you disagree with the kennel clubs advice, loosely implying they have some sort of agenda other than the animals well being.

    If you want any useful comments just clear up your situation for the audience.
    I'm not implying anything. The only people jumping on the bandwagon have fuck all interest in taking part in the conversation but for trying to have a go. I have not implied I live in a studio flat, I said that to make the point that the Kennel Club are of course going to recommend a bigger house. I did not imply I disagree with KC advice. I said I've done a lot of research beyond the KC. I have not implied they have any sort of agenda. What the fuck are you on about?

    Actually I'm getting plenty of useful advice from people actually involved in the discussion.
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 15:18:47 84,037 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I assume you couldn't meet a dog's needs because you have a kid? Bit cruel to try and raise both.

    Whether we live in a manor or a flat. You obviously cannot leave your dog outside when you are out anyway so short of just leaving the back door open when you are at home because you can't be arsed going for a walk there is very little difference.
    No, this was before we had our son. We decided our house wasn't enough space based on the conversations we had with the breeders at the Discover Dogs exhibition. They said it would need at least two to three hours walking a day, plus lots of space to run around as well as that. It's an extremely high energy big dog. We just couldn't meet its fairly intensive needs.
  • Moot_Point 13 Nov 2012 15:20:34 3,538 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    People are jumping on the bandwagon because you're being very confusing about the situation.

    You have implied that you live in a studio flat. You have implied you disagree with the kennel clubs advice, loosely implying they have some sort of agenda other than the animals well being.

    If you want any useful comments just clear up your situation for the audience.
    This^ 100%

    I think he needs to start from the beginning, and explain the situation properly. Not only that, I am just one of those people who think locking a dog in a crate is inhumane (Odd I know!). With all the dogs I have had in the past, I have never seen the need to lock a social animal like a dog in a crate.

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:21:15
    mowgli wrote:
    Kennel club are unlikely to recommend a small studio flat now are they
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:22:05
    Oh god. Moot_point is agreeing with me.

    Sorry Mowgli, ignore I said anything and carry in as you were.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:24:45
    Insanely high energy dog. Which is why it is great having the big park outside and the very long canal. Wife wakes up at five for work at 7 (which means I'm up at 5...) so I take her out to play. Currently only in the back garden until her shots are complete. After that it will be in the park and running.

    There really isn't an idea situation for a dog short of being able to retire rich and early.

    I've heard people say it is cruel to have kids in a flat for fucks sake. It is just smashing that some people have their opinion of the ideal environment. Doesn't mean it is the only way.
  • psychokitten Moderator 13 Nov 2012 15:26:15 7,791 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dogs, mixed bag. Love them to bits, but they are a lot of work really.

    I don't have a Samoyed, but do have Husky-types (Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute). Huskies are a lot of work, they need a lot of exercise and attention, they're total attention whores too and pretty much destroy stuff when they're bored. And when they shed, it's like something died. It will come out in massive lumps (that's normal).

    From what I know of Samoyeds they can be pretty yappy and are energetic, I'd be concerned with the time it's alone that it's going to bark the place down due to frustration, and your neighbors will get on your case.

    They're lovely affectionate playful dogs though, hope it works out! Once you get the OK from the vet after the final vaccination get socialising. It's good for them, and fun.

    If you need any pointers, give me a shout. I'm not a trainer or pro by any means, but I've had a bunch of dogs. I don't want to seem like I'm lecturing above, just adding my two cents based on my experiences.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:26:46
    Aargh. wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Kennel club are unlikely to recommend a small studio flat now are they
    Yeah you're going to have to expand on this as this in no way indicates that I resolutely disagree or believe them to have an alternative agenda.
  • ronuds 13 Nov 2012 15:27:25 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Meh, I used to be against crates too. But then I see what my dog does on a normal day and sticking him in a crate for a few hours of that doesn't seem so cruel afterall.

    He sleeps 75% of the time anyway!
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 15:29:37 20,092 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd love a dog but I'm out of the house for eight hours a day. Sometimes ten if I'm in London. I keep having to resist the urge as I know it wouldn't be fair on a dog, and there's nobody to walk it during the day, but I so bloody want one.
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 15:29:43 84,037 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    There really isn't an idea situation for a dog short of being able to retire rich and early.

    I've heard people say it is cruel to have kids in a flat for fucks sake. It is just smashing that some people have their opinion of the ideal environment. Doesn't mean it is the only way.
    Again, I think there's a difference between "ideal" and "acceptable", but I'm not suggesting you're being cruel. I'm just surprised you feel Sammys are a breed you can accommodate as we just couldn't do it in good conscience.

    Perhaps you're able to spend far more time than we would have been able to. Part of our issue was that we both work all day, so we couldn't balance out the insufficient space by giving it regular walks through the day like HA does.
  • Load_2.0 13 Nov 2012 15:29:53 18,234 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You are all missing the point. The big question is "Who will be the first to shit on the couch?

    The dog or mowgli?"

    50/50.
  • JuanKerr 13 Nov 2012 15:30:21 36,094 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We used a crate to train our rescue dog. NEVER forced her into the crate or used it for punishment - it was left in the corner of the room with the door open and with a bit of training, it ended up being 'her' space which she spent a lot of her time in (voluntarily).

    Really helped in the difficult early stages.

    Edited by JuanKerr at 15:31:48 13-11-2012
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:31:21
    psychokitten wrote:
    Dogs, mixed bag. Love them to bits, but they are a lot of work really.

    I don't have a Samoyed, but do have Husky-types (Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute). Huskies are a lot of work, they need a lot of exercise and attention, they're total attention whores too and pretty much destroy stuff when they're bored. And when they shed, it's like something died. It will come out in massive lumps (that's normal).

    From what I know of Samoyeds they can be pretty yappy and are energetic, I'd be concerned with the time it's alone that it's going to bark the place down due to frustration, and your neighbors will get on your case.

    They're lovely affectionate playful dogs though, hope it works out! Once you get the OK from the vet after the final vaccination get socialising. It's good for them, and fun.

    If you need any pointers, give me a shout. I'm not a trainer or pro by any means, but I've had a bunch of dogs. I don't want to seem like I'm lecturing above, just adding my two cents based on my experiences.
    Thanks, I appreciate this. Yeah she is a total attention whore. And a bit more yappy than we expected tbh (despite reading that they do love the sound of their own voice). There will be someone walking her at lunch time (either myself or one of the couple dog walkers I have spoken to). so it will be morning and afternoon where she is left alone. I don't see how it is physically possible to own a dog and not leave her for these periods.
  • LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2012 15:32:04 41,903 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Work from home? What my friend does.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:34:02
    ronuds wrote:
    Meh, I used to be against crates too. But then I see what my dog does on a normal day and sticking him in a crate for a few hours of that doesn't seem so cruel afterall.

    He sleeps 75% of the time anyway!
    Yeah at the moment she is sleeping the whole day anyway. But put her in the crate or try and coach her in and all hell breaks loose!
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 15:34:55 84,037 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah most people I know with dogs (especially big ones) are not working couples, or work from home. Or are old.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:38:05
    Oh well, completely different to the people I know then I guess. S
  • LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2012 15:40:43 41,903 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In all honesty mowgli, I don't know you. You post on here, you don't like Fruit, you have a massive head and you keep a high maintenance dog in a cage. That's all.

    But I find that last fact really unpleasant.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • psychokitten Moderator 13 Nov 2012 15:42:03 7,791 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Thanks, I appreciate this. Yeah she is a total attention whore. And a bit more yappy than we expected tbh (despite reading that they do love the sound of their own voice). There will be someone walking her at lunch time (either myself or one of the couple dog walkers I have spoken to). so it will be morning and afternoon where she is left alone. I don't see how it is physically possible to own a dog and not leave her for these periods.
    It really depends on the environment. Mine are alone for a good chunk of the day, but they have a big secure garden, and each other. It isn't 100% ideal either, but they have a lot of space and things to keep busy with. I don't think many people fit the ideal situation, really, but there's degrees of suitability. If you have 1 dog, a situation where someone works from home often is good, 1 dog alone in an apartment for hours is not great, but it depends on the breed. I don't think it'd suit a Samoyed well, but it depends per dog too. I have to look into rehoming soon too and a single dog household + apartment requires a LOT more dedication and work from the person adopting and a is a last resort.

    Have you checked out local doggy day cares maybe? Somewhere for her to go twice a week or whatever? I mean, it could all work out fine, but there is potential for a bad outcome. I have known two Samoyeds. One was a model dog, quiet, well behaved, didn't run off, didn't destroy things. The other barked so much he bounced from family to family, leaving destroyed furniture in its wake. One of the families had to rehome the dog (despite caring a lot about him) because the neighbors essentially demanded it, the dog yapped nonstop (and the wife was home all day with him too).

    It's going to take a lot of work, but do check out your options. A dog walker is a good one, doggy day care even better (despite the stupid name). It'd be a full day of mental and physical stimulation.
    Again, I don't want to lecture, just want you to be prepared. They're a handful.
  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

Log in or register to reply