Getting a dog Page 5

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• ronuds 13 Nov 2012 14:08:15 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mowgli Have you tried putting her in the cage while you're home just hanging out?

If you're just trying to throw her in there when it's time for bed or to leave the house, it's going to be a rushed and unpleasant experience.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 14:18:53
    Yeah been trying that for a week now. The crate beside us with the door open during the day/at night. Tried locking it with us beside it and she just went berserk. Ended up frantically trying to dig out of it somehow! Would probably be able to spend more time gradually weaning her but she has an incredibly loud bark! Piercing.
  • Dougs 13 Nov 2012 14:22:04 68,474 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HA had it right, as upsetting as it might be. Shut her in the kitchen with some newspaper and ignore her. She'll settle down eventually. And apologise to your neighbours first.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 14:24:06
    Had it right?

Already put a letter through the door of all our neighbours apologising in advance.
  • ronuds 13 Nov 2012 14:28:54 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mowgli - I'd probably go with a spray bottle and some treats then. Spray when bad, treat when good. :p

Our dog was reluctant at first as well, but now he goes in with no problem. Treats helped a lot.

He's part husky, so maybe there are some similarities!
  • Dougs 13 Nov 2012 14:30:14 68,474 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:

When it comes to dealing with it whining and crying at night, you really just have to put your foot down and ignore it. Puppies learn very quickly and if you go running to it every time it cries or whines then it will use that to its advantage and constantly do it for attention. Once it realises that on a night it's to be left alone to go to sleep it will soon get into a routine and accept the fact.
  • neilka 13 Nov 2012 14:33:18 16,271 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Had it right?

Already put a letter through the door of all our neighbours apologising in advance.
    Weren't you legally obliged to do that when you moved in?
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 14:36:18
    ronuds wrote:
    @mowgli - I'd probably go with a spray bottle and some treats then. Spray when bad, treat when good. :p

Our dog was reluctant at first as well, but now he goes in with no problem. Treats helped a lot.

Been throwing some random selection in there so she associates it with happy time. Husky is meant to be a similar personality so will keep trying. Do you lock him in there?

@doug, ah, I didn't realise HA was referring to hariy arse.
  • mrpon 13 Nov 2012 14:36:43 29,206 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are you in a flat mowgli? With people above and below you?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Stickman 13 Nov 2012 14:36:55 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nah, I reckon a baby monitor is your best bet, and book three or four weeks off work to make sure it's OK. You could really make it resent you if you ignore it. What if it turned vicious? Best to be safe than sorry.

Have you got any bubblewrap?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Deleted user 13 November 2012 14:37:07
    Yes
  • mrpon 13 Nov 2012 14:38:50 29,206 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Yes
    Oh. Isn't that a tad cruel on the both the neighbours and the dog?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• billythekid 13 Nov 2012 14:41:54 11,203 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In the last two months my puppy has chewed and ruined:

Front brake hose on bike
    Patio door step
    2 kitchen units
    2 dog mattresses and 2 dog beds
    2 food bowls
    2 water bowls
    Dog lead
    Chair
    Golf simulator
    Wallpaper
    Broom
    Mop
    Guitar stand
    At least 5 cables
    House phone
    Plant pots

And that's being vigilant with the little git.
    As soon as you think you're getting somewhere with them they'll do something naughty.
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 14:42:45 88,472 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Yes
    Oh. Isn't that a tad cruel on the both the neighbours and the dog?
    Probably ok if he has a reasonable size garden.
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 14:44:33 88,472 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually the Kennel Club recommends a large house with a large garden for Samoyeds (which presumably that is). Hmm.
  • LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2012 14:46:12 44,512 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I live in a one bedroom flat and have a full time job with long hours. There's a small baby upstairs and I don't have direct access to the garden, have to go out through the communal hall.

Thinking of getting a rhino.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• ronuds 13 Nov 2012 14:46:42 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    ronuds wrote:

Been throwing some random selection in there so she associates it with happy time. Husky is meant to be a similar personality so will keep trying. Do you lock him in there?
    Yep - he's locked in. We put a blanket over the crate so it's like a cave... I don't know if that matters.

Problem with ours is that he didn't care about anything we did or said when he went crazy. That's where the spray bottle has helped a lot - snaps him right out of it.

Entice her in the crate with treats. The moment you see her start to react crazily, spat her in the face with water, wait until she relaxes, reward with a treat. Don't coddle the behaviour, let her know it's unacceptable. The trick is to catch them the very instant you see their behaviour start to go south. Don't wait until she's full crazy before correcting.

That's what I did, anyway - and it worked! I'm sure there are various methods, though.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 14:47:00
    @mrpon neighbours possibly. But not sure how it is cruel to the dog? See far too many people think a garden is a replacement for walks. We have a very large shared garden and overlook a massive dog park and canal.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 14:49:50
    kalel wrote:
    Actually the Kennel Club recommends a large house with a large garden for Samoyeds (which presumably that is). Hmm.
    Kennel club are unlikely to recommend a small studio flat now are they :-\ Fwiw, what we read about the breed indicated that they are fine in flats as are not the type of dog to be left outside. They need to be with the family.

Edit: done using my damn phone. Fucking Swype.

Edited by mowgli at 14:51:43 13-11-2012
  • Salaman 13 Nov 2012 14:50:24 19,303 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    overlook a massive dog park and canal.
    See! She can look at the dog park and other dogs out walking all she wants. In no way cruel to the little pup. :-)
  • billythekid 13 Nov 2012 14:52:14 11,203 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After a visit to the dog park:

Not my dog btw

Edited by billythekid at 14:53:01 13-11-2012
  • Moot_Point 13 Nov 2012 14:54:07 4,362 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Kennel club are unlikely to recommend a small studio flat now are they :-\
    A dog in a studio flat? WTF?!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Deleted user 13 November 2012 14:54:21
    ronuds wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    ronuds wrote:

Yep - he's locked in. We put a blanket over the crate so it's like a cave... I don't know if that matters.

Problem with ours is that he didn't care about anything we did or said when he went crazy. That's where the spray bottle has helped a lot - snaps him right out of it.

Entice her in the crate with treats. The moment you see her start to react crazily, spat her in the face with water, wait until she relaxes, reward with a treat. Don't coddle the behaviour, let her know it's unacceptable. The trick is to catch them the very instant you see their behaviour start to go south. Don't wait until she's full crazy before correcting.

That's what I did, anyway - and it worked! I'm sure there are various methods, though.
    Ooh, never thought about trying that. Read that you can't 'punish' them in the crate though? But if it works for you I will go find a spray bottle and give it a shot.

How long is he in there at a time?
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 14:55:22
    Moot_Point wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    A dog in a studio flat? WTF?!
    You are a fucking idiot please don't get involved.

I do not live in a studio flat, I was making a point about the Kennel Club.
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 14:55:51 88,472 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Damn that Kennel Club and their evil agenda to consider dogs' needs! Damn them to hell!

Look I've no idea what your situation is and I'm sure you'll be providing them with an adequate home (as only an idiot would buy a dog without researching its ideal homing conditions and deciding they could address them).

Not sure what you have against the Kennel Club though. They're a very respected authority on this subject.
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 14:59:26 88,472 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Kennel Club by the way would reccomend a flat for dogs that were suitable to keep in flats:

Link.

Their advise for Samoyeds is a large house with a large garden in the country.

Edited by kalel at 14:59:38 13-11-2012
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2012 14:59:34 60,517 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im sure, having taken several weeks off work to break it in, the puppy will be fine.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:02:25
    kalel wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Damn that Kennel Club and their evil agenda to consider dogs' needs! Damn them to hell!

Look I've no idea what your situation is and I'm sure you'll be providing them with an adequate home (as only an idiot would buy a dog without researching its ideal homing conditions and deciding they could address them).

Not sure what you have against the Kennel Club though. They're a very respected authority on this subject.
    Em, yeah, no idea what you are going on about re the Kennel Club, I'm not calling them evil.

The point is a large house with a big garden is the ideal home for everything. Doesn't mean a large flat with a shared garden is cruel in anyway.

No you don't know my situation. You are jumping on the typical bandwagon as you're bored (I assume). I did research it - a lot. What I read indicated they are suitable for flats as they are not the type of dog you can expect to be happy entertaining itself outside alone. There are 5 large parks within short walking distance, including the massive one we overlook. It will get more exercise than most dogs in large houses with big gardens.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 15:03:47
    @kalel That's a rat. Not a dog.
  • ronuds 13 Nov 2012 15:04:54 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mowgli - He can be in there any amount of time without a fuss. I don't think dogs tell time very well - he tends to react the same if he's in there for an hour or six.

I've heard about not punishing them. I've tried "by the book" as well and it doesn't always work! I think every dog is different, so if you try something and it doesn't work then try something else. It'll take time, though, so be patient.

The #1 thing is that you have to be the boss!
  • Page

of 10 First / Last