Shopto Borderlands 2 download hassle

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • R63xd 25 Sep 2012 19:47:57 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pre ordered Borderlands 2 from shopto, direct download, was only like £23 so figured what could go wrong! On the site they say a steam account is required so figured they'd give me the code and it'd all be fine.

Well its now Tuesday night and I've yet to receieve my steam code to download the game, noone ever answers the phones over at Shopto, the 'contact us' centre doesnt take download related queries which is pathetic, I made a ticket and reported it anyway, still no reply giving me any help.

I believe they've removed the ability to comment on the games 'user reviews' section and they seem to have deleted other posts asking about the code not arriving, so yeah myself (and no doubt a few others) are just sat in the dark twiddling our thumbs.

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Or have had any similar download related issues with shopto in the past?
  • Syrette 25 Sep 2012 19:52:12 44,099 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How many times have you tried calling them?

• R63xd 25 Sep 2012 20:03:57 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    like 10 times easy, usually waiting for 10-15 minutes
  • waggy79 25 Sep 2012 20:13:35 1,072 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had a problem with their current test drive 2 download. Took about a week as they had to get more codes from their suppliers. Should've been displayed as sold out.
    They won't pick up on weekends but had no issues calling them in normal workday hours.
  • dsmx 26 Sep 2012 01:08:03 7,691 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You could try asking for the game key instead, it's a steamworks title on the PC so you should be able to put that code into steam and you'll have your game.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• PenguinJim 26 Sep 2012 01:41:26 5,953 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @R63xd They won't send you the code. It should be in your account (hopefully now), if you go to Orders and click on... something. Just whack it into Steam.

Their support is overloaded this month because their new site is absolute shite. You could try their Twitter account, if you want to be misunderstand and insulted by that twat. :)
  • Zappanale 26 Sep 2012 02:59:33 84 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    ....if you want to be misunderstand and insulted by that twat. :)
    Ha! Got a link to any good examples?
  • PenguinJim 26 Sep 2012 04:32:49 5,953 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's funny you should bring that up, because I was whining about them like a spoiled baby only yesterday. :) I'd repost it here, but "no one want duplicate accounst in the database, it get bigger for nothing...."

(Silly Bing translator, I'm sure that was supposed to be "misunderstood" in my post. That's what I get for posting on forums during a meeting. Apologies for my appalling attempts at English)
  • DiamondIce 26 Sep 2012 11:40:51 1,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had this same problem with Sleeping Dogs.

They said they had issues with getting codes but the game was still available to buy even though they had these problems.

Even after a week there was a problem.

In the end I bought the boxed version from them.

FLOPS! RAM!

• joeymoto108 29 Sep 2012 21:50:49 654 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is absolute bullshit. I've bought Borderlands 2 digital from Shopto thinking I'd be able to download and play it tonight. As I can't, they can fuck off and give me a refund.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• Syrette 29 Sep 2012 21:55:04 44,099 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    joeymoto108 wrote:
    This is absolute bullshit. I've bought Borderlands 2 digital from Shopto thinking I'd be able to download and play it tonight. As I can't, they can fuck off and give me a refund.
    Did they mention anywhere about it being an instant delivery?

• monkehhh 29 Sep 2012 22:01:01 3,477 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The site says "in stock"

The game page says "Play the game Instantly!"

The help page says "Once a successful checkout has been completed the download link will appear in your ‘Downloads’ section of your order page"

.. everything points to you paying and getting the code straight away.

Edited by monkehhh at 22:01:15 29-09-2012
  • joeymoto108 30 Sep 2012 15:26:33 654 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still no key in my account and its been nearly 24 hours. STILL SAYS ITS IN STOCK THOUGH! Just makes me a hell of a lot less likely to buy anything else from Shopto, which is a shame because they've always been good in the past for me.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• joeymoto108 2 Oct 2012 19:28:43 654 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I still haven't received it and it's been 4 days now... what the hell?

• monkehhh 2 Oct 2012 19:44:13 3,477 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Have you spoken to them?
  • joeymoto108 2 Oct 2012 19:50:46 654 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sent a support ticket on saturday night, will be calling them tomorrow. Not impressed tbh.

• superdelphinus 2 Oct 2012 20:02:44 8,125 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thank you for being honest, tbh
  • jasondonervan 3 Oct 2012 10:52:02 98 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sounds familiar

I called them using the 'say no to 0870' method the Monday after release, and to be fair to the guy I spoke with, he was actually helpful and processed a refund immediately. Unfortunately for ST, this was the last in a string of problems with orders that I've endured over the last few months... and I'll not be putting any future orders their way.

The drop in quality of service really did seem to nose-dive in direct correlation with the website 'overhaul'. A victim of their own success? Having trouble managing key areas of their business as a result of a presumably large increase in customer base over the last few years? Probably, but regardless of how cheap their pricing goes, I'd much rather pay an extra couple of quid to somewhere like Amazon, safe(r) in the knowledge that I'll get a level of service worth paying for.
  • SClaw 5 Oct 2012 20:31:00 826 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Really should have checked here before doing this myself... anyone had any luck with them?
  • Syrette 5 Oct 2012 21:07:44 44,099 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have precisely 0 problems with them and I get almost all of my bought games from their site. 1 or 2 queries I have had over the years they've helped me with efficiently. No complaints over their service, delivery or pricing really.

Never bought a key off them though so can't speak for that site of their business and based on this thread alone I'd avoid doing so any time in the near future should I want to.

• PenguinJim 6 Oct 2012 06:07:57 5,953 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Never bought a key off them though so can't speak for that site of their business and based on this thread alone I'd avoid doing so any time in the near future should I want to.
    Precursors came through instantly for me when I got it on the 8th of September, and according to my account I've had 16 other codes successfully in the past year. But when I bought Deus Ex: HR from them, it said "Item Not Released" in my account (roughly four months after the game's release), and when I spoke to their live chat, they said they'd sort it out. The next day, the item had disappeared from my account and the money was in my Shopto account. :confused: What would be nice is if they could refund to Paypal or the credit card - it seems crazy to me that they don't do this and that no-one seems to hassle them about it.

It does sound like their new website isn't processing codes as well as it used to - I think I'll be avoiding them for now, based on this thread, too. But physical items seem the same as usual - I received my Dark Souls: PtD in the same time as previous orders, for example, and I haven't seen an increase in complaints about packages.

I'm a stylish international customer and I've never had a boxed item fail to arrive. I use them more than TheHut/Zavvi because I get Shopto packages in 10-14 days (instead of 3-4 weeks) - less chance of the price dropping further and me kicking myself. :p But I'm not egotistical enough to think that my personal experience = typical experience, so I'm keeping an eye on the complaints.

Incidentally, I didn't know that they did clothes? :confused: I can see the Max Payne 3 with free T-shirt, and a pack of fake moustaches. What other clothes do they have?! :champ:
  • SClaw 8 Oct 2012 09:14:55 826 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Following up...

They fixed it immediately Monday morning, so that's good. I mean it's complete shit that they don't do support over the weekend... but whatever.

I won't rush to use them again just to save a fiver, mind.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next