Goldfish FTW!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • kalel 25 Sep 2012 11:07:19 88,270 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are a couple of really old threads on the subject but they're all full of deleted users and such, so thought I'd start a brand new one to celebrate the wonder of goldfish!

After years of not having any, just got myself a couple of Orandas (a chocolate and a redcap) and they are super duper awesome.

Just wondering if we have any other fans?
  • heyyo 25 Sep 2012 11:17:47 14,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I won a couple when I was young, my parents bought me (them) a tank ornament from Pets At Home a few weeks after I positioned it nicely into their environment - next morning both fish were floating.

Never worked that one out.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 25 Sep 2012 11:18:16 26,134 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can you still win them at the fair or is that now frowned upon?
  • Zidargh 25 Sep 2012 11:20:50 1,677 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bought my girlfriend's sister a goldfish and had an embarrassing moment when I asked:

"So we can expect this little guy to live for like 3 years right?"
    "No. If looked after properly, you can expect him to reach 25 years old."

I felt like a murderer.
  • Deckard1 25 Sep 2012 11:23:03 28,671 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Can you still win them at the fair or is that now frowned upon?
    Nah peta had that outlawed a few year ago. I won a midget last year!! We've still got some of him left in the freezer.
  • Toonster 25 Sep 2012 11:26:02 6,845 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hoped we were talking about South African electro-jazz band sensation Goldfish :(

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• kalel 25 Sep 2012 11:32:06 88,270 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can potentially go to jail for killing a goldfish. Seriously.
  • Zidargh 25 Sep 2012 11:34:10 1,677 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I didn't actually kill the goldfish.
  • kalel 25 Sep 2012 11:37:55 88,270 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wasn't accusing you :)

A surprising fact though. I'm sure my folks used to flush mine down the toilet when I was a kid whenever I went to a friend's to stay the night. They always seemed to mysteriously die when I wasn't there.

They are slightly harder work than most realise though. Water needs changing really quite regularly if you don't have a filter.
  • Load_2.0 25 Sep 2012 11:42:32 19,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I'm sure my folks used to flush mine down the toilet when I was a kid
    One day you may be reunited.

• Deleted user 25 September 2012 11:42:50
    I've got a solitary Betta who lives in a tank with a frog. Mostly takes care of itself - I took out the filter because the first frog decided to venture inside and get minced, but with it out I only have to change the tank water every ten days or so, and that only takes a few minutes. With the filter in it would only be a half-tank change every two weeks or so.

I remember having goldfish as a kid which took hours to change the water, as you had to let them stand to reach the right temp and for whatever chemicals you put into it to do their work. Nowadays those same chemicals take literally seconds - fill up tank, put a few drops of purifier in, drop in fish and frog, done.
  • Deckard1 25 Sep 2012 11:45:51 28,671 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    25 years? Jesus, I never had one past a few month when I was a kid. I remember murdering one by trying to feed it cake. It was one of those boggled eyes one. Poor little Jaws2, we hardly knew ye.
  • Trowel 25 Sep 2012 11:51:29 17,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When I was little I got a goldfish as a present, lived for 12 years.

They suggested I call him Jaws but I (famously amongst my family) misheard.

RIP George.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 25 Sep 2012 11:55:56 38,614 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Back before we had kids the wife wanted goldfish, and I agreed on the provision she looked after them. None if them lasted more than 6 months.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• nickthegun 25 Sep 2012 11:57:09 60,397 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We got 4 danios, 4 of something else and a plec. When the Alex the Plec died, child R insisted we had a funeral for it, so we buried it in the garden and she tootled it a song on her penny whistle.

It was surprisingly moving and good for teaching her about death and all that.

Other than that, I wish we had got two bigger fish like proper goldfish rather than 8 nippy little bastards who you can hardly see.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• sport 25 Sep 2012 11:58:49 12,775 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Back before we had kids the wife wanted goldfish, and I agreed on the provision she looked after them. None if them lasted more than 6 months.
    This, had fish for a few months as a kid. Hated cleaning that bowl and they can't do tricks or anyfink.
  • Fake_Blood 25 Sep 2012 12:02:58 4,277 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Poor fishy.
    I'm no animal activist, but I still find putting them in small cages or tanks kinda sad, imagine if they did that with you.
    I get the same feeling with caged birds and stuff.
  • nickthegun 25 Sep 2012 12:05:57 60,397 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually agree with that. Im not fan of keeping pets at all but, for some reason, every time im asked if we can get a pet my 'no' is misinterpreted as 'yes, go nuts' and they mysteriously appear in my house when I get home from work.

• RyanDS 25 Sep 2012 12:06:42 9,574 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just for info, goldfish need a HUGE tank really, like 200 litres minimum. Keeping them in less is actually really cruel and you end up with stunted fish.

Better to keep a betta, danios or such. They don't need such big tanks and will actually thrive in small tanks.
  • KD 25 Sep 2012 12:07:38 685 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not goldfish but I got these 2, they both 13yrs old or more

Edited by KD at 12:08:53 25-09-2012
  • sport 25 Sep 2012 12:09:02 12,775 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So we can conclude the kalel is a fish abuser?
  • Load_2.0 25 Sep 2012 12:19:32 19,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Holy shit, I just remembered we had a goldfish in one of our student flats, haha he was indestructible!

We used to catch live flies and throw them into his tank. He had no problem devouring the fuckers. Though he never seemed super keen... water changes were done with zero skill and he just kept on trucking.

But the best part was when we had the inflatable pool set up. A load of beers and three pissed guys is a pretty hazardous environement to survive, haha he was an awesome pet.

Until the neighbours cat ate him.

Poor swimmy.
  • neilka 25 Sep 2012 12:25:17 16,220 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    25 years? Jesus, I never had one past a few month when I was a kid. I remember murdering one by trying to feed it cake. It was one of those boggled eyes one. Poor little Jaws2, we hardly knew ye.
    It's like the saying goes, we always kill the ones we love by feeding them too much cake.
  • kalel 25 Sep 2012 12:31:45 88,270 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree about birds in cages. Birds are flying creatures, so not allowing them to fly seems cruel to me.

Fair enough you can be absolutist about all pet keeping being cruel, but I don't think fish keeping is one of the worst examples as long as you really respect the amount of space and care they need.

@RyanDS - not really sure where you've got 200 litres from. Pretty much every source I've ever seen says it depends on the size of fish, but generally around 30 gallons for a goldfish which is about 130 litres. PETA's estimation is actually substantially less than that (although they do generally advise against keeping fish in tanks).
  • Deckard1 25 Sep 2012 12:43:31 28,671 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nick has built his giant snail a little rocket pack so it can fly around the living room.
  • nickthegun 25 Sep 2012 12:50:13 60,397 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it was raining the other day. Turns out he was just hovering above my head, watching eastenders.

• RyanDS 25 Sep 2012 12:56:05 9,574 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I agree about birds in cages. Birds are flying creatures, so not allowing them to fly seems cruel to me.

Fair enough you can be absolutist about all pet keeping being cruel, but I don't think fish keeping is one of the worst examples as long as you really respect the amount of space and care they need.

@RyanDS - not really sure where you've got 200 litres from. Pretty much every source I've ever seen says it depends on the size of fish, but generally around 30 gallons for a goldfish which is about 130 litres. PETA's estimation is actually substantially less than that (although they do generally advise against keeping fish in tanks).
    200 is the figure I remember, and a quick search of the fishforums I am a member of says the same. But then again those are fish lovers places so always err on the side of caution.

Even 130 litres is much larger than most people expect though. Basically it's not that important, other than the fact that everything advertised as a "goldfish bowl" or similar is utterly unsuitable as they normally are more betta size tanks of around 50 litres.

Now if you are looking at marine fish (as I keep) then those figures become set in stone and you can't play around much with living space.
  • nickthegun 25 Sep 2012 13:01:31 60,397 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We are moving house soon (hopefull) and the people we are buying off have an absolutely massive tropical tank in an alcove on the living room. A proper effort with anenemoemenemies and all sorts.

On every viewing my daughter just pressed her nose up against it in absolute rapture. The problem now is that she thinks the tank comes with the house, so when we move her little starter tank in there, theres going to be some tears.

• Dr.Haggard 25 Sep 2012 13:05:09 4,225 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Now if you are looking at marine fish (as I keep) then those figures become set in stone and you can't play around much with living space.
    Well it still depends what you put in it I guess. I have an teeny tiny 8 litre marine reef on my desk.
  • RyanDS 25 Sep 2012 13:06:25 9,574 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    We are moving house soon (hopefull) and the people we are buying off have an absolutely massive tropical tank in an alcove on the living room. A proper effort with anenemoemenemies and all sorts.

On every viewing my daughter just pressed her nose up against it in absolute rapture. The problem now is that she thinks the tank comes with the house, so when we move her little starter tank in there, theres going to be some tears.
    I've got a marine tank for sale if you want.

Comes with sump, protein skimmer, halides, hermit crabs, corals and two clown fi... sorry "nemos"

Come on! Surely your daughters happiness is worth the 30 minutes work a day plus an hour on the weekends it takes to keep it running!
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous