HD TV / BluRay - what am I missing? Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • boo 25 Sep 2012 09:06:57 11,795 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We have to have the TV / sofa set up across the width of the room, rather than the length, so viewing distance is about 6ft.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the TV - great picture for TV, DVDs etc. It's just I was expecting a considerable jump in quality with Bluray.

A friend of ours bought a 50" something or other (possibly plasma, might have been LCD) about 12 months back, and showed me a Bluray of the original Italian Job, and it looked astonishingly good.

Sounds like our TV's the weak point. Might have trouble convincing the management though.

Ah well.

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 25 Sep 2012 09:07:55 11,795 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Noted about the LCD/LED motion blur. That's why I went plasma in the first place. We bought an LCD and had to take it back after 3 days, the blur was so bad.

Just Another Lego Blog

• kalel 25 Sep 2012 09:09:32 87,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just to reiterate my earlier point, there are some brilliant LCDs, and some awful plasmas, and vice versa and everything in between. It's not as simple as saying a) is great and b) is shit.
  • Deleted user 25 September 2012 09:14:25
    UncleLou wrote:
    This is almost off-topic at this point, but I have to admit that I usually have trouble spotting a difference between an upscaled DVD and a Blu-ray from my viewing distance on a 42" full HD TV. The difference is crystal clear when I am close (where Blu-rays look razor-sharp, and DVD's look like a mess), but not from 3m away.
    I can tell easily on a 32" screen from 16 feet (5m) but only because of the better colour definition, not because of the detail/pixel count.
  • SYS64738 25 Sep 2012 09:24:07 1,667 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One of the best showcases for HD is the Planet Earth documentary box set. Stunning. But there definitely are poor quality BD transfers.

Back on topic, those HD ready TV's were a marketing scam back then, manufacturers should've been done for false advertising - most people wouldn't know the difference between full HD and HD ready and fell for it (to be fair the price difference was pretty big years ago).

Went from a Samsung 37" full HD LED earlier this year to a 47" LG which only cost me about 700 Euros and to be fair it's not perfect - but the size alone does provide a nice cinema feeling (my living room isn't very big) and the image is alright (Sammy was slightly better especially for solid blacks).

My dad now has the Samsung and his living room is bigger too, it feels tiny now. In fact most TV's look tiny now!

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• SYS64738 25 Sep 2012 09:26:45 1,667 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Noted about the LCD/LED motion blur. That's why I went plasma in the first place. We bought an LCD and had to take it back after 3 days, the blur was so bad.
    Mate of mine has an old LCD Samsung, motion blur is awful. Thankfully technology moved on significantly and on a mid range model shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Edit: What can be annoying is the clouding effect but you only really notice that when the screen goes completely black (eg. during game load screens). First time I saw it I thought my TV was broken.

Edited by SYS64738 at 09:28:06 25-09-2012

• mrpon 25 Sep 2012 09:31:57 29,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Top 10 T3 TVs

NB: last month

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• SYS64738 25 Sep 2012 09:35:32 1,667 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Top 10 T3 TVs

Already out of date then;)

• mal 25 Sep 2012 09:37:53 22,607 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, on that there AVForums website, they're recommended you turn off LED local dimming. If that's right, what's the point of LED TV again? Just thinner sets that get slightly less hot?

Also, what is this motion control/resolution nonsense? I guess it's something to do with LCD's either doing viewing angles well or having good response times, so they do weird things like overdriving the pixel to try to make it change faster, making the edge of anything moving tend to sparkle. I know that's the case with LCD monitors, but there it's always called response time/overdrive/gtg time not these new-fangled terms - so perhaps they're unrelated.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mrpon 25 Sep 2012 09:38:18 29,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Top 10 T3 TVs

Already out of date then;)
    Don't think that matters too much for boo.

Edited by mrpon at 09:38:48 25-09-2012

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• ram 25 Sep 2012 09:41:30 3,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No one ever speaks about sound when comparing BR and DVD. You need a decent surround system to fully appreciate the difference between DVD and Blu-ray. A Blu-rays DTS Master HD versus a DVD's Dolby 5.1 is a much big difference on the whole than various different resolutions.
  • SYS64738 25 Sep 2012 09:44:50 1,667 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't have a surround system (hooked up the TV to Harman Kardon Soundsticks) and even there I can notice a difference in sound alright.

• kalel 25 Sep 2012 09:45:54 87,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, the sound is a bigger leap than the picture if done right.
  • SYS64738 25 Sep 2012 09:53:01 1,667 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In all fairness, if you jump from SD to (full) HD then the difference is amazing, and as others said it really depends on the transfer. Problem is you get used to it quickly and will find it hard watching regular DVD's again, especially on a larger screen.

• nickthegun 25 Sep 2012 09:58:46 60,159 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing is, its not the quantumn leap VHS to DVD was unless you spend time and money on it, so a lot of people are disappointed when they first fire something up.

Its like the people who complained about blu rays and HD gaming when they were using the the shitty AV cable that sony, very stupidly, saw fit to pack in the box rather than an HDMI cable.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 25 Sep 2012 10:07:02 87,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In some very rare cases the leap to HD can be comparable to VHS to DVD but yes, it's very dependent on a number of factors, one of which is that it's actually extremely difficult to set up your TV properly and really anyone who really cares about HD should be getting a pro in to do their settings.

But yes, I think the whole HD thing was hyped up too much. Expectations were set too high.
  • warlockuk 25 Sep 2012 11:13:42 19,181 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1024 x 720? Is that even a real resolution? That's essentially only 2x SD.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• boo 25 Sep 2012 12:47:48 11,795 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Okay, okay, I think we've established that our TV is not on the bleeding edge of technology.

I'll probably wait until next year. Hopefully our next house will warrant two TV's, and I can use our current one as the backup, and invest in a new TV / Surround sound combo.

I shall return for some more up-to-date advice then.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Blakester 25 Sep 2012 13:00:31 3,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HD-Ready was one of the biggest marketing scams of this generation.

I remember when Xbox 360 launched, there was an almighty rush to get sets out so that confused punters would lap them up. Problem was that most just bunged on a VGA port, rather than a component input, so many people were forced to revert to the composite cable which made it look worse than their previous console's graphics. Happy days.

Then when public knowledge started to rise, the manufacturers invented "Full HD" to confuse everyone again and encourage upgrades.

They're at it again with "TrueHD" sound.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• kalel 25 Sep 2012 13:08:07 87,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah and "3D". Heh,
  • KayJay 25 Sep 2012 13:16:05 5,288 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    one of which is that it's actually extremely difficult to set up your TV properly and really anyone who really cares about HD should be getting a pro in to do their settings.
    You really don't...
    http://www.avforums.com/home/pictureperfect.html
  • Tricky 25 Sep 2012 13:19:19 4,411 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    TrueHD is Dolby's equivalent to DTS-HD - are you saying TV manufacturers are claiming their sound is TrueHD now?
  • KayJay 25 Sep 2012 13:21:36 5,288 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This thread is a microcosm of the whole problem. Lot's of people saying lots of things that for the most part are wrong.

Edit: Even me. :)

Edited by KayJay at 13:23:23 25-09-2012
  • kalel 25 Sep 2012 13:24:14 87,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    KayJay wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    one of which is that it's actually extremely difficult to set up your TV properly and really anyone who really cares about HD should be getting a pro in to do their settings.
    You really don't...
    http://www.avforums.com/home/pictureperfect.html
    Something like that will certainly help you get a lost closer to what your TV should look like, but if you've spend a grand or more on a serious TV, it would be worth considering paying 100 or whatever for a pro to do your settings.

People that are really into this sort of thing have separate settings for every source.
  • freddymercurystwin 25 Sep 2012 13:26:27 469 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    boo wrote:
    2000 lol

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 13:30:27 25-09-2012
  • Blakester 25 Sep 2012 13:31:50 3,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    TrueHD is Dolby's equivalent to DTS-HD - are you saying TV manufacturers are claiming their sound is TrueHD now?
    No, I'm saying it's another example of marketing bods inventing terms for tech that confuse people into opening their wallets.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Deleted user 25 September 2012 18:59:50
    kalel wrote:

People that are really into this sort of thing have separate settings for every source.
    One annoyance of mine is AV receivers. When I had an HDTV and console I used to have different settings for my BR player, my DVD player, my consoles, my telly box. I looked into proper AV receivers (to improve my surround sound) only to find that they all only had 1 HDMI out, meaning I'd have to change settings on my TV every time I switched from watching a film to playing a game.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next