Best ISP atm?

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • RedSparrows 24 Sep 2012 16:46:53 22,059 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hello

What is the best ISP around atm? Ideally unlimited, but not too pricey...

Obv. Net only. Phone only a bonus.
  • sport 24 Sep 2012 16:49:01 12,553 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IMO BE
  • WoodenSpoon 24 Sep 2012 21:40:22 12,279 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've nothing constructive to add but I do love it when people intentionally misuse thread categories for comedic effect. Pictures of spiders filed under 'bug reports', etc.

Always raises a smile.
  • RedSparrows 26 Sep 2012 09:00:40 22,059 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ta sport.

Anyone else?
  • THFourteen 26 Sep 2012 09:08:16 32,863 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Xilo

they are ace
  • Chopsen 26 Sep 2012 09:16:01 15,724 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm with Be, no complaints. Lots of nice nerdy features, with an active customer-maintained self-help community. If I could get VDSL or cable I'd go for that, but as I'm stuck with good ol' ADSL, I'm with Be. The free router you get given is bollocks though.
  • BinaryBob101 26 Sep 2012 14:27:10 22,298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sky. No complaints after years of being with them and they are truly unlimited and never throttle me either.

Beautiful tender beings.

• jamievilla 26 Sep 2012 15:56:22 506 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm with Plusnet, never had any problems. 70mb Fibre connection for 20 a month. Do have a download limit, but it's 250gb and I rarely get near it (unlimited after midnight).
  • mcmonkeyplc 26 Sep 2012 16:04:23 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BE/O2 probably.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mrpon 26 Sep 2012 16:27:55 28,451 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jamievilla wrote:
    I'm with Plusnet, never had any problems. 70mb Fibre connection for 20 a month. Do have a download limit, but it's 250gb and I rarely get near it (unlimited after midnight).
    Line rental on top?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• jamievilla 26 Sep 2012 16:51:31 506 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    jamievilla wrote:
    Line rental on top?
    Yeah. Afraid so. Don't even use the phone either, such a con.
  • StixxUK 26 Sep 2012 16:54:44 7,231 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Who is the best value? I was in the process of switching to virgin but the hassle of getting it set up (I live in rented accommodation and need all sorts of permissions to get it installed) is putting me off.

I was getting excited about plus net when I saw they did a broadband only deal for 20 quid but then realised that in spite of it being "broadband only" I'd still be paying over 30 a month vs 22 for Virgin :-(
  • kinky_mong 26 Sep 2012 17:05:38 9,961 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In terms of speeds, limits and the price it is massively dependent on where you live and what providers are unbundled at you nearest exchange.

I've moved into a new place recently and I rang O2 to see what they could offer as they were good for me before and I'm eligible for a discount. The best they could do for me was a pathetic 2mbps download speed, capped at a low limit and for silly money a month. Turns out the only decent providers in my area are BT Infinity and Plusnet so I went with the former as it was already set up by the previous tenant.

Try this site to find out who is good in your area...

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/streetstats/

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• mrpon 26 Sep 2012 17:12:00 28,451 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jamievilla wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    jamievilla wrote:
    Line rental on top?
    Yeah. Afraid so. Don't even use the phone either, such a con.
    Paid it upfront?

They do actually offer unlimited, you have to ring up and ask for it.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• monkehhh 26 Sep 2012 17:17:47 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @kinky_mong uswitch's speedtest is pretty terrible though - runs about 90 times slower than speedtest.net (1mbps vs 90mbps) for me at the moment.
  • Blaizefm 26 Sep 2012 18:09:07 232 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BE are good. Good speeds, really great service, and they've never hassled me once about download limits etc. I'd suggest you avoid the supplied router and pick up a Billion, though.
  • Feanor 26 Sep 2012 18:18:54 14,057 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Verizon FIOS.
  • Chopsen 2 Dec 2012 15:02:55 15,724 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, following on from what I said above, FTTC is coming to my neck of the woods. Spoken to plusnet and they explicitly told me they don't offer unlimited. BT infinity has an unlimited package, but you know...it's BT. The only other FTTC supplier that I can use that has an unlimited package it Talk Talk by the looks of it.

So, any experience of Talk Talk FTTC and BT infinity to relate? OR any other unlimited FTTC suppliers to recommend?
  • captainrentboy 2 Dec 2012 16:10:52 963 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm with Talk Talk, pay for the fastest Fibre connection and unlimited downloads. It costs 44, with line rental and unlimited phonecalls.(You get a free Youview box as well if you want one) and honestly I haven't had a single problem in the 2+ years I've been with them. Due to the distance I am from the exchange I get a 48mb connection down and 12mb up. Downloads are truely unlimited, I download shitloads and they've never said a thing.Only torrents are throttled between 6 and 11, and that's a bit inconsistent in my favour as sometimes I'll chuck something on at 8, and half an hour later it'll be hitting top speed:/
  • DodgyPast 2 Dec 2012 18:02:00 8,415 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    captainrentboy wrote:
    I'm with Talk Talk, pay for the fastest Fibre connection and unlimited downloads. It costs 44, with line rental and unlimited phonecalls.(You get a free Youview box as well if you want one) and honestly I haven't had a single problem in the 2+ years I've been with them. Due to the distance I am from the exchange I get a 48mb connection down and 12mb up. Downloads are truely unlimited, I download shitloads and they've never said a thing.Only torrents are throttled between 6 and 11, and that's a bit inconsistent in my favour as sometimes I'll chuck something on at 8, and half an hour later it'll be hitting top speed:/
    Stuff hitting top speed is probably due to encryption.

My mother uses Talk Talk and they seem pretty decent for the prices and relatively chilled about what you do with your connection.
  • kickerconspiracy 2 Dec 2012 18:17:28 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been with Bethere for years and they've been consistently pretty awesome.
  • MMMarmite 2 Dec 2012 20:45:16 995 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Be are great but they seem to be having more regular issues these days (routing issues this Fri/Sat for one) :(

IDNet were fantastic when I could only get 8Mbps but their unlimited packages are very expensive (mostly a business ISP)
  • monkehhh 2 Dec 2012 20:48:57 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Reminds me - Virgin's prices are going up. If you're in a contract with them you're free to cancel without penalty, I like to use this opportunity to get a better deal or some money back :)
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 2 Dec 2012 20:51:26 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sky. Never had a problem
  • Chopsen 2 Dec 2012 21:58:54 15,724 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I read on the Bethere forums are losing customers like heavily at the moment. They seem to not be in a position to offer any fibre-related broadband, and so are only offering ADSL for the foreseeable future. That's fine if you're in an area you can't get anything better, but you have to ask yourself what the benefits are in sticking with Be when you've got faster options...
  • Blaizefm 2 Dec 2012 22:09:04 232 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm one of them. I was on BE for years - great service and with no hassle. BUT - as you said they had no plans for fibre and with BT just opening up in my area I went for it and ditched BE. So far I'm happy, but I know if I get a problem I'll have to deal with the BT machine.
  • Chopsen 2 Dec 2012 22:13:34 15,724 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, and I'll probably be joining you. As you say, it when things go wrong that it really matters who you're with, and that's the unknown variable in all of this.
  • whatthefu 2 Dec 2012 22:45:49 853 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Sky. No complaints after years of being with them and they are truly unlimited and never throttle me either.
    How is sky for the phone line, are there hidden charges when you make phone calls?
    Am thinking of switching from BT..
  • MMMarmite 2 Dec 2012 22:56:00 995 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    That's fine if you're in an area you can't get anything better
    My situation exactly and, since I live in a small town in the east, there's little chance of getting FTTC anytime soon :(
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous