The World of Warcraft thread Page 5

• Page

of 372 First / Last

• Nemesis 14 Jan 2005 10:05:34 18,446 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /captivated by the pretty lights

I ran right to the top of the big tree to look over the landscape. There's a small branch you can go sit on and look out over the city.

Fantastic stuff

In-game name : Brimar.

It's a....historical name. It was either that or Legolas54.
  • Aga 14 Jan 2005 12:02:26 2,148 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "I like the pretty lights" Where is that from again? I think it's The Crow.

Its hard to start a favourite starting area, I like them all! Except Undead, too dark for me.
  • DrCongo 14 Jan 2005 17:09:08 912 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Undead starting areas are a bit bloody bleak, yeah. I've got my undead mage currently at lvl 12, it's fun enough to play but I think I'll choose some other race come retail. The Undead /dance emote is the best there is, though. METAL!!!

I tried Taurens in the US closed beta, they're pretty cool. Night Elves are too, but there's just so damn much of them.

Been thinking of creating another character before the Beta ends to try out some PVP (never tried it yet), but haven't dared take the plunge yet...
  • Chris Gardiner 15 Jan 2005 11:04:18 962 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nemmie - next time you're in-game, check the nearest mailbox. There's a somewhat random smattering of items heading your way.
  • Aga 15 Jan 2005 20:07:10 2,148 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aaaah, finally Saturday and a lot of time to play the game. It's nice when your unarmed damaged rivals to damage of lower players, I was drawing aggro in mines just boxing =)
  • Deleted user 16 January 2005 23:46:32
    /sits and waits patiently for phase 2 of the beta ;)
  • Chris Gardiner 17 Jan 2005 15:27:46 962 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    After Nem mentioned how pretty the Night Elf areas are, I've started a new Night Elf character to see: Briar, a druid. Still on English beta Server 4.
  • Nemesis 17 Jan 2005 15:35:09 18,446 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /joins the Elllllllllllllves. Join usssssssssssssssss.

/offers lembras around thread

Ooooh. I'll check me email later! Ta.

I tell you the level of sadness. I ran around the starting area watching people kill things. Then I went and sat by a bench under a lamp and watched the evening unfold.

Sad bastard.

Oooooooh. Glowing EYES look.
  • Aga 17 Jan 2005 20:13:53 2,148 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IT goes to show that you can a bit of everything in WoW =)

I like nothing better than sneaking past some high level mobs to do a spot of mining. The mobs could kill me in a second and its not really worth it (unless it was silver or higher) but the accomplishment when you pull it off, t'is nice
  • Whizzo 17 Jan 2005 20:30:14 42,760 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like the honeymoon is over. What's this rather worrying thing I hear about player queues?

This space left intentionally blank.

• Chris Gardiner 17 Jan 2005 20:52:47 962 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oo-er. Victims of their own success by the looks of it. I wonder if we'll have similar problems in Europe come retail?
  • Stachey 17 Jan 2005 20:54:38 418 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We've had (on pvp server 6 anyway) 2 server downs in an hour today:(
    Still beta...
  • Aga 18 Jan 2005 11:28:41 2,148 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I only queued on the server 5 the two first days. Ever since it has been ok. Never experienced a server down in the evenings, but I'm not on *that* much, so it might be down when I am not looking ofc =)
  • Clive_Dunn 18 Jan 2005 11:55:14 4,762 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK, I know this will probably be treated as heresy, but I'm not sure I like WoW.

Fundamentally I think the game is too easy, I've got a lvl 12 healing priest and can solo mobs 3/4 levels higher than me, I have a friend on the US servers with a lvl 45 warlock - he says he can do 3 mobs 4 levels higher than him at the same time. If things go wrong I can easily run away, in total I've died once during the whole time and that was due to me wandering off into a high level area during a bit of sightseeing. And the penalty for death ? Nothing. 5 mins to find my body, no res sick, no XP penalty.

Also, does anybody bother to group ? Quests are dominant and so no-one bothers grouping up, what therefore is the point in playing a support class ? Personally I always thought the point of MMOG's was the other people you interacted with. In this there is precious little requirement to interact with others, in fact XP seems quicker solo.

Quests - run here, do this, run back again. And again, and again, and again. Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Clearly its just me, everyone else appears to love it. I'm bored 4 days into beta. I must be some sort of freak, but it seems like an MMOG lite to me. They've removed a lot of the frustrations I had with other games of this type, but in doing so I find they've removed the actual point in playing.

Sorry, feel free to stone the freak.
  • Aga 18 Jan 2005 12:02:24 2,148 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Whizzo 18 Jan 2005 12:03:41 42,760 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's no real penalties for dying? Er that's a bit odd. I'm quite close to cancelling my pre-order, players queues aren't something I've come across in any of the MMORPGs I've played. Perhaps I'll just stick with CoH.

Edited by Whizzo at 12:05:01 18-01-2005

This space left intentionally blank.

• Aga 18 Jan 2005 12:05:28 2,148 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well if you want a challenge, you can always play warrior.. =)

Fair comment on the quests though, and a lot of them are easily doable on your own. But if you havent played beyond 12, you should know that there will be tougher elite quests and then instances when you get higher. Instances are designed for grouping, so hopefully you get to hook up with someone.
  • Salaman 18 Jan 2005 12:55:09 18,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can someone help with an incredible noob question?

:-(

I got an email telling me I could join the Beta test.
    I signed up for an account with the CD key given in the email.
    I downloaded the game.

4 days later it's there and I can install it.
    Now I need to log in.
    Hmmmm ... what's bloody account info then?
    *think* *think*

No problem, I'll just hit this "remind me of my password" or "resend account info" link.
    Hmm .. now that's odd. Can't find one?
    Go to website.
    No clear answer there.

I sent off two emails asking for the prcdure to retrieve my info but I'm still waiting for a reply.

Waaaaaaaaaaah.

Anyone know?
  • Clive_Dunn 18 Jan 2005 13:06:51 4,762 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Salaman wrote:

I downloaded the game.

Now I need to log in.
    *think* *think*

No problem, I'll just hit this "remind me of my password" or "resend account info" link.
    Go to website.
    No clear answer there.

I sent off two emails asking for the prcdure to retrieve my info but I'm still waiting for a reply.

Waaaaaaaaaaah.

Anyone know?

You need to create the account first, then iirc it asks for your key details.
  • magicpanda 18 Jan 2005 13:18:59 13,007 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • JoeBlade 18 Jan 2005 13:33:15 2,413 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Interesting comments; I'm still quite curious about this one. Two questions:

How bad are the lag, player queues and downtime really? Going by some comments around the web they're nothing short of terrible but from my experience that's often merely a vocal minority of, um, "devoted" players screaming hell and murder at every minute of gameplay they've missed out on :)

And about the teamplay aspect: how difficult - esp. time-consuming - is creation of a solid team?
    If it's anything like some other multiplayer games I've tried I'd consider not being forced to team a big plus to be honest. Shouting "level 12 healer wants to team" in some channel for 15 minutes, followed by half an hour of actually getting together ("one sec, need to buff", "just a moment, need to buy some potions", "on my way, be there in 10 mins" ... aargh!) is not my idea of fun.
  • Chris Gardiner 18 Jan 2005 14:01:37 962 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    OK, I know this will probably be treated as heresy, but I'm not sure I like WoW.
    All the points you make are valid, though I've a couple of comments. I can certainly see why people woudln't like WoW. It's very much a traditional MMO, although the best of the bunch.

Fundamentally I think the game is too easy, I've got a lvl 12 healing priest and can solo mobs 3/4 levels higher than me,
    The answer to that is easy - fight harder monsters. WoW is set up so character can take on creatures higher level than them. I do all the time - the challenge comes when I end up fighting two or more monsters (which is not uncommon) - I can still win those fights, but not always, and I use up a lot of my resources to do so - or when I fight elites or even higher level monsters.

Also, things get toughter as you get further in. The monsters get more abilities and are more unforgiving, and there's more higher-level ones about.

I have a friend on the US servers with a lvl 45 warlock - he says he can do 3 mobs 4 levels higher than him at the same time.
    He's a good player. I think it's good that skill plays a role. I'm not sure I'd be able to take that many high-level critters on at once.

If things go wrong I can easily run away, in total I've died once during the whole time and that was due to me wandering off into a high level area during a bit of sightseeing.
    I've been cut down running like a dog plenty of times. :)

Seriously - take more risks. Engage groups of monsters rather than individuals. Do some elite quests. Try some of the higher-level instances.

And the penalty for death ? Nothing. 5 mins to find my body, no res sick, no XP penalty.
    There's a minor durability penalty to all of your items, which equates to lost cash and potential interruption of play to get things fixed. The corpse-run is disincentive enough for me, though. The MMO attitude to death is a constant mystery to me, though. you're right - it's an inconvenience, not a serious setback.

Also, does anybody bother to group ? Quests are dominant and so no-one bothers grouping up, what therefore is the point in playing a support class ? Personally I always thought the point of MMOG's was the other people you interacted with. In this there is precious little requirement to interact with others, in fact XP seems quicker solo.
    This really surprises me. I group constantly - it's quicker to do quests, and you can tackle tougher quests (might be why you feel like you're not getting a challenge - maybe try some orange quests with a friend). Kill quests award each kill to every group member, to grouping to do those is *way* quicker than soloing. When you do group you get XP incredibly quickly, because you're cutting through monsters so fast. The exception is if you group with someone of a much higher level than you, in which case you get less XP than when soloing because they're doing all the work and negating all the risk.

I've been doing Westfall paired with a friend and it's been masses of fun. It'd have been tedious otherwise.

Quests - run here, do this, run back again. And again, and again, and again. Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.
    Yeah, although that sounds like practically every CRPG quest to me. I sat through it for KOTOR, I can do it in WOW. :)

Some of them are more fun, though. On Sunday I found a treasure map on a monster's body as random loot, and it started this whole hunt for a pirate's treasure - following clues, fighting monsters, and eventually finding a rusty old chest full of loot. Yarr!

Sorry, feel free to stone the freak.
    No stoning here. It might just not be for you. I'd try adjusting your playstyle a bit first, though - maybe a bit more grouping, a bit more risky questing.

Edited by Chris Gardiner at 14:51:47 20-01-2005
  • Chris Gardiner 18 Jan 2005 14:04:38 962 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    How bad are the lag, player queues and downtime really? Going by some comments around the web they're nothing short of terrible but from my experience that's often merely a vocal minority of, um, "devoted" players screaming hell and murder at every minute of gameplay they've missed out on :)
    I'm curious about this too. My experience has been *very* stable, but we're in a nice, controlled beta at the moment. Maybe when things hit retail it'll all explode.

And about the teamplay aspect: how difficult - esp. time-consuming - is creation of a solid team?
    If it's anything like some other multiplayer games I've tried I'd consider not being forced to team a big plus to be honest. Shouting "level 12 healer wants to team" in some channel for 15 minutes, followed by half an hour of actually getting together ("one sec, need to buff", "just a moment, need to buy some potions", "on my way, be there in 10 mins" ... aargh!) is not my idea of fun.
    It's *much* easier if you have some pals from out of the game - I've got a couple of friends in the beta and group with them a lot. But Blizzard is working on a feature called group-stones or something, which you click on if you want to join a group and the stone automates the whole process, matching you nup with suitable players. They're not in yet, though.
  • Salaman 18 Jan 2005 14:12:36 18,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    Salaman wrote:

I downloaded the game.

Now I need to log in.
    *think* *think*

Go to website.
    No clear answer there.

Waaaaaaaaaaah.

Anyone know?

You need to create the account first, then iirc it asks for your key details.

Yes indeed.

Step 1:
    Create account (and whilst doing so input the cd-key)
    Step 2:
    Download
    Step 3:
    Install
    Step 4:

I'm bloody stuck at step 4 as I've no clue what login/pw combo I used.
    :-/
  • Aga 18 Jan 2005 14:27:04 2,148 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Try to make an account again then? If it says the beta key has been used, at least you know the first one was succesfull in creating, although you cant remember details/details doesnt work.
  • Salaman 18 Jan 2005 14:50:24 18,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I tried step 1 again.
    It said the CD key was in use.
    So I did create the account succesfully.
    Just have no clue on how to retrieve the info now.

Hopefully there's an email when i get home.
    :-/
  • JoeBlade 18 Jan 2005 18:10:03 2,413 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chris Gardiner wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    I'm curious about this too. My experience has been *very* stable, but we're in a nice, controlled beta at the moment. Maybe when things hit retail it'll all explode.

It's *much* easier if you have some pals from out of the game - I've got a couple of friends in the beta and group with them a lot. But Blizzard is working on a feature called group-stones or something, which you click on if you want to join a group and the stone automates the whole process, matching you nup with suitable players. They're not in yet, though.

Cheers for that info!

Sounds like Blizzard's putting in a lot of effort to ensure there's always something to be done and esp. avoid those monstrosities called timesinks. Group stones, bless :)

From the look of things I'll be getting this for sure; the more I hear about it, the more I like what I'm hearing. If things indeed do not explode in retail, that is :/
  • Aga 20 Jan 2005 10:42:39 2,148 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So addictive, made me late for work today...heh, anyways! Got my first taste of an instance today, doing the Van Cleef quest today. Went with two mages and two paladins, myself being a warrior, all over lvl 20. I see ppl from 16 and over trying to get groups for it, but unless you are 5 ppl and very coordinated, I think you will struggle. I went with an ad hoc group and some of them were a bit careless with the aggro, so we had some wild action at times. It was nice to have the paladins for reviving.. =)

• jaxon58 20 Jan 2005 11:31:35 2,418 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did you cope with Mr.Smite? Or did you not get that far?

Git he is, git.
  • Aga 20 Jan 2005 12:13:28 2,148 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did not catch all the names of the bosses, but we make it to the end with the big boat and Van Cleef so I gather we ran into him. Deadmines in Westfall, spooky place.
  • Page

of 372 First / Last