The World of Warcraft thread Page 360

• Page

of 377 First / Last

• boo 15 Feb 2013 07:30:47 11,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quck question. Can anyone tell me if Blizzard get rid of your characters if they're not used for a while. Haven't logged in for 6 months or so, and tried last night. It complained of missing a code element, so I deleted and reinstalled as per their instructions.
    Left it downloading overnight and checked just now.

I can log into my account, but it treats me as a new user, wanting me to select a gamestyle and realm.

I'll contact them later, but wondered if anyone had seen this before?

Edited by boo at 07:31:26 15-02-2013

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 15 Feb 2013 07:50:39 11,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Only had a couple of minutes before I had to leave for work. Will have a look tonight.
    Cheers.

Just Another Lego Blog

• graysonavich 15 Feb 2013 09:22:44 7,320 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sounds like you've probably got the wrong region selected to be honest.
  • boo 15 Feb 2013 09:45:35 11,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When I had to re-install a while back, as soon as I logged in, it came up with my character straight away. This was straight into a new game setup.

I'll try when I get home - hopefully the realms are on a drop down, because I've no idea how V'eklinash / Ve'cklinash / v'eclenash is spelt.

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 15 Feb 2013 10:02:58 11,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not far off!

Vek'nilash!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Luke_Martin_VA 16 Feb 2013 09:55:46 160 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Kids: just say no

http://voxelarcade.com/lost-in-translation/lost-in-translation-world-of-warcraft/

w w w . v o x e l a r c a d e . c o m

• boo 16 Feb 2013 10:28:52 11,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers for the advice, guys. For some reason it hadn't remembered my region as you suggested.
    Wejeroth shall be on the warpath again, and bunnies everywhere will tremble in their burrows!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Roddles 16 Feb 2013 12:52:49 1,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Luke_Martin_VA wrote:

http://voxelarcade.com/lost-in-translation/lost-in-translation-world-of-warcraft/
    I don't see an article there.
  • Luke_Martin_VA 18 Feb 2013 12:04:22 160 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    Luke_Martin_VA wrote:

I don't see an article there.
    Literally? Try again. Link works!

Metaphorically? Lost In Translation is one of our three 'mini-article' sections designed to be quick-fire reads to provoke a bit of thought or discussion. It complements our 'Guilt Pleasures' and 'Great Intros' sections.

They're supposed to be a bit tongue-in-cheek ;)

• Roddles 18 Feb 2013 12:48:16 1,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No offence, but there's nothing of substance in that article. The pop culture press were reporting on how addictive WoW was back in 2007.
  • Luke_Martin_VA 18 Feb 2013 13:16:45 160 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Surely a WoW player would appreciate that there's joy in repetition?!

Point taken though.

• Roddles 18 Feb 2013 13:22:00 1,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Luke Martin
    The mechanics are so dull, devoid of real skill and so repetitive. At least if a kid gets addicted to COD I can relate to the purity and talent involved.
    If you're talking the competitive side of things then I couldn't disagree more. The talent required to excel at WoW's arena and rated battlegrounds is just high and prestigious as COD's.

Either way, personally I find PvP on any game dull at this point in my life.

The skill required to complete WoW's endgame (raiding) at the normal/heroic difficulty definitely involves more skill, teamwork and patience than COD's single/co-op campaign.

Edited by Roddles at 13:24:16 18-02-2013
  • Deleted user 18 February 2013 13:24:33
    "Iíve never even played an MMORPG"
  • graysonavich 18 Feb 2013 13:46:13 7,320 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Replace 'WoW' with any competitive gaming environment. I know plenty of people who "hunch over" their consoles playing top level FIFA for 16 hours a day.
  • Luke_Martin_VA 18 Feb 2013 16:13:32 160 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Agreed about PvP being dull. I guess we're getting old! And yes, FIFA can be just as all consuming. Perhaps it's the monthly fee that's the final nail, hammering home the sense that it must be played to death to get your money's worth? Of all genres, it does at least seem to have the greatest pull on peoples lives, such as the friend I mentioned in the article. In all my years I've never seen anyone so badly affected by anything legal as much as he was by WoW.

And I freely admit to having not played it! I've watched it played for extended periods by real enthusiasts but despite being a very old and experienced gamer indeed, saw nothing that stirred a positive emotion. Does that mean I shouldn't express an opinion or that it might be way off the mark? Perhaps. But I've never tried smack, base jumping or infidelity and reckon I'm pretty much bang on with my judgements on those!

I'm sure I could get hooked if I gave into it though!!

• bbvDJC 18 Feb 2013 16:18:53 1,716 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How much do you spend on games a month?

If I only played WoW and nothing else, nine quid a month doesn't seem all that bad and it can be reduced further if you buy three months or a year.

Everyone frowns at the sub but in reality they spend upwards of hundreds of pounds on games a month and will probably hardly get a months play out of them.
  • Nasty 18 Feb 2013 17:48:57 4,741 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Base jumping infidels on smack...

/phones EA
  • Luke_Martin_VA 18 Feb 2013 19:26:34 160 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    Base jumping infidels on smack...

/phones EA
    ROFL!!

• Luke_Martin_VA 18 Feb 2013 19:28:00 160 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    bbvDJC wrote:
    How much do you spend on games a month?

If I only played WoW and nothing else, nine quid a month doesn't seem all that bad and it can be reduced further if you buy three months or a year.

Everyone frowns at the sub but in reality they spend upwards of hundreds of pounds on games a month and will probably hardly get a months play out of them.
    I dare say you're right! I've long thought that if someone could tell me to the exact pound how much I've spent on gaming over the last thirty years that I'd have a bloody heart attack!!

• ZuluHero 18 Feb 2013 19:38:13 4,104 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Someone sent me a scroll of resserection. So free copy of cata, server transfer and boost to 80. And ive been clean since 2007 :(
  • teamHAM 18 Feb 2013 21:08:25 2,887 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah they've had that free 80 thing there for a while, it's what tempted me back. I think they are doing discounts on all expansions at the moment too.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• onestepfromlost 18 Feb 2013 21:44:17 2,045 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tried this for the first time the other day afte getting sent an invite from a friend who is a long time player. It just did not grab me at all. Only played the intro bit, but it was very drab.
  • Mekanik 20 Feb 2013 09:28:38 3,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @onestepfromlost To be fair the game doesnt really get gonig properly until you reach 90, but the journe y to 90 is meant to be fun.

The (short) intro is not really a good way to judge the entire game. Also, playing with friend(s) is what makes this game worth playing. Solo play just doesnt really cut it.

My name is Mekanik and I am a wow addict.....
  • teamHAM 20 Feb 2013 10:53:54 2,887 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @onestepfromlost

It depends what you are looking for really. The world is so huge and there are so many different things to do, you cannot really experience the game in a day or two, it's a long term investment. Gone are the days where the starter zones are jam packed and you are fighting over quest mobs. More things will happen as you level up and get to zones where things happen.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• graysonavich 20 Feb 2013 10:56:40 7,320 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dead starter zone of a near 10 year old game. Surprised you lasted as long as you did!
  • onestepfromlost 20 Feb 2013 13:28:38 2,045 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    it wasnt just even the emptiness i can live with that, i just didnt find much appealing about. SWTOR at least grabbed me with the story, guild wars 2 looked great and was rather fun. I know they had the advantage of being rather recent, but i just found the combat in WoW a bit tiresome too. The thought that it doesnt get good til 90 seems strange to me. THats like saying in a normal game, well the game is shit but the last level and end boss are worth it
  • graysonavich 20 Feb 2013 13:31:57 7,320 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's not really. The leveling part of teh game is one part, and the end game is another.

You can spend 2 days leveling to max level then the next 9 years doing end game content if you like.
  • RedSparrows 20 Feb 2013 13:51:38 22,332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really enjoyed levelling in WoW (well, 1-60 anyway), but I spent 95% of my time at 60/70/80.
  • Page

of 377 First / Last