Deftones - Koi No Yokan

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 11:01:06
    Just got the email with free track "Leathers" from the new album Koi No Yokan (release November 13th). What does everyone think? It's a bit more like early Deftones, like pre-White Pony. I like it.

Can anyone find a place to pre-order Koi No Yokan??

Here's the track - Leathers

Edited by Apostle at 11:04:06 20-09-2012
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 11:11:55
    I like it.
    I agree its sort of Pre white pony, but with a diamond eyes sort of production to it.

Amazon havn't got it listed yet. November is going to be epic. Deftones and Soundgarden new album's. And Led Zeppelin Celebration DVD.
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 11:17:59
    I love the way it explodes into the lyrics after the quiet build up. Sort of expected it, but still hits you quite hard. Amazing album artwork, as nearly always from the Deftones.

Oh new Soundgarden?! I did not know! I'll have to check that one out then, thanks for the tip! :)
  • SFD 20 Sep 2012 11:18:42 513 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love it :)
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 11:18:59
    yeah it was announced a couple of days ago as well. been an awesome week for music news.
  • ronuds 20 Sep 2012 14:51:55 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deftones are still around? They must be 50 by now.

Liked 'em back in the 90s. Whatever they're doing today can't be any worse than most of the crap they play on the radio.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2012 22:20:33
    http://www.spin.com/articles/deftones-tempest-listen

second track to be made available.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 10:44:35
    Wow, I think I like Tempest even more than Leathers. If these two tracks are anything to go by the album is going to be incredible.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2012 18:02:07
    Just got this today. I can't help but feel a little disappointed on my first listen through. Maybe it's a grower, but certainly hasn't hit me like previous Deftones albums.
  • StixxUK 14 Nov 2012 18:27:17 7,293 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It is a grower, but I actually prefer Diamond Eyes.

I'd say it's on a level with Saturday Night Wrist, better than self-titled and not as good as the others.
  • RobTheBuilder 14 Nov 2012 18:43:43 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really liking it so far, I thought Diamond Eyes was their best since White Pony, not sure where to rank this yet.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2012 19:47:49
    Yeah Diamond Eyes was amazing, I agree best since White Pony.

I was listening to their self titled album quite a bit in the last few weeks. Didn't think much of it at the time but it really has some cracking tracks on there. I didn't know they did a video for Bloody Cape and released it as a single?!

I've uploaded it to this Google Play Music thingy, so I can listen a bit more.

Edited by Apostle at 19:49:14 14-11-2012
  • RobTheBuilder 14 Nov 2012 20:08:28 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Apostle I always think I didn't like deftones (album) and Saturday night wrist that much at the time, then I listen to them again and really like them.
  • Deleted user 15 November 2012 09:37:50
    I instantly loved Diamond Eyes, I guess it just doesn't happen with every album.

Ok this is definitely growing on me. Poltergeist, Graphic Nature and Gauze are some of the better ones, I mean apart from the singles (to be).

It is a very different sounding Deftones, that's for sure.
  • Deleted user 15 November 2012 10:06:02
    I miss Around the Fur's sound.
    I would love them to do an album like that again, but I really don't think it's possible, they've moved on.
  • happyhammer81 16 Nov 2012 13:29:54 23 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rodpad - that might have coincided to them moving to 8-string guitars?

XBL: happyhammer81

• BTBAM 16 Nov 2012 19:23:36 1,659 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    As much as I used to listen to the Deftones, they've only done a handful of decent albums. The first 3 were excellent, and Diamond Eyes was hit and miss, but mostly good. The other albums have been pretty terrible in my opinion.

I'll give this a listen on Spotify but I can't say I'm impressed with that promo track linked earlier.

Also the production/mixing is awful. I miss Around the Fur's sound.

Edited by rodpad at 09:55:55 15-11-2012
    I agree, the production is really really flat.

Leathers, tempest and rosemary are the only songs I enjoy.
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 19:49:04
    Well it certainly is growing on me. Not sure quite how much I'll end up liking it though, compared to the other albums. Maybe it's best not to do that.
  • FanBoysSuck 16 Nov 2012 19:52:49 1,540 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a good album but I think it lacks its own feel. I'm going though it thinking "this track sounds a bit like something off this or that album". Kinda how system konfilqk by the mad caps almost sounded like a best of. Not a bad thing as such but I was hoping for a bit more. Maybe it will grow after a few listens. I get the feeling that the bands coming to an end creatively.

Still getting tickets for the tour in February though ;)

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 19:54:00 16-11-2012

For the emperor!

• Kovacs77 28 Nov 2012 21:47:52 381 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolutely Love this album, I cant rate deftones albums in order as theyre so consistent, but if i had to... white Pony then KNY, Diamond Eyes And ATF equal, then Deftones and BSides, then Adrenaline then SNW. Pink Cellphone will always spoil SNW for me. Well, that and the lack of decent songs.

Edited by Kovacs77 at 21:48:31 28-11-2012
  • Deleted user 28 November 2012 21:53:10
    I like it, it hasn;t hit me like Diamond eyes did, but i like alot of whats in here. Its sounds a lot like Around the fur with a bit of team sleep thrown in.

To be honest i havn't had much time to listen to it.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2012 09:05:13
    I think I love it now. Been listening to it everyday. It really is an amazing album, the quality throughout is very high. Not one bad song. Goon Squad is one of my favourites, but they are all really really great. I love the last song, What Happened to You, haunting. Also Rosemary is nearly on a par with Passenger for me. Moody creeping doom sort of vibe. Actually Leathers is probably my least liked track now!
  • mAc6 29 Nov 2012 10:07:02 736 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Really like the new album, feel it's maybe the follow-up album to Saturday Night Wrist, same kind of hazy warm style. I believe they wanted to do a quick follow up album back then named 'Amore' or something but never did, maybe because of what tragically happened with their bandplayer. I feel this is that album, maybe. Like it a whole lot.
    Sensitive, warm and raw

(Program Mode Maximum Engage: start> 5-6-7 / 1-2-3-4 / 9-10-8-11 =end)

Edited by mAc6 at 10:34:18 29-11-2012
  • Deleted user 29 November 2012 10:47:06
    I really like SNW, its what really got me into Deftones. Apparently Chino won't play anything songs live from that album, i guess down to what happened with CHI.

I looked up on his health the otherday, seems to be making progress, abeit slow. He sort of in a state of semi conciousness, not always there, can't speak, but can react to stuff and have controll of his legs. His being cared for at home as well now.
  • RobTheBuilder 29 Nov 2012 12:26:19 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deftones at Reading/Leeds 2013...

!!
  • Deleted user 29 November 2012 15:31:15
    Oooh yes! Another thing to pencil in the calender!

Would a mod be so kind to change the title to just "Deftones" as it may make sense to cover anything and everything related to the band further than just Koi No Yokan. Many thanks!

/moderator Batphone rings
  • Deleted user 14 April 2013 21:28:58
    For those who havn't heard the news yet, chi cheng died last night. Most of you know his state after his car crash a couple years back. Apparently, he was rushed to hospital after his heart just stopped. He'd been in a semi conscious state for a good year now, but has always been fighting various infections.

Sad day.
  • RobTheBuilder 14 Apr 2013 22:18:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @joelstinton I heard in the metal thread, sad day
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous