German consumerist group snarling their teeth at Valve

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Stricker 19 Sep 2012 11:58:43 10 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Valve-Slammed-By-Consumer-Protection-Issued-Cease-Desist-Anti-Consu%20merist-EULA-47038.html

Thoughts? I'm surprised this isn't featured on the frontpage. It's a pretty big deal.
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Sep 2012 12:02:21 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interesting.
  • neilka 19 Sep 2012 12:03:51 15,847 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ACHTUNG BABY

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Salaman 19 Sep 2012 12:10:34 18,957 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    ACHTUNG GABY
  • Deleted user 19 September 2012 12:46:07
    Thread has no legs because it paints valve in a bad light.
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Sep 2012 12:47:41 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh god don't tell me we have Valve fanboys to deal with now as well?

*stands on roof of tall metaphorical building*
  • Whizzo 19 Sep 2012 12:53:15 43,088 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This came up when the new EULA came out, rather a lot of it can't be enforced in the EU so Valve won't even attempt to.

The whole EULA situation really needs to be tested in court, on either side of the pond, most won't stand up to any legal scrutiny at all.

This space left intentionally blank.

• MetalDog 19 Sep 2012 13:10:19 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I enjoy Valve games a lot, but I still don't like Steam very much. It's not a bad thing that they're questioned on the legalities of being able to lock you out of all the stuff you've paid for.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Zizoo 19 Sep 2012 13:39:13 8,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm very new to Steam. Can someone please explain the advantage of having my game collection in Steam? I always see people hoping a game will be a game for Steam e.g. Dark Souls. But why?

I bought the Humble Bundle yesterday and chose to get em via a code for Steam, but I'm not sure if it's a better option than just downloading em straight to my PC.
  • Stricker 19 Sep 2012 13:52:53 10 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Salaman 19 Sep 2012 13:56:38 18,957 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    I'm very new to Steam. Can someone please explain the advantage of having my game collection in Steam? I always see people hoping a game will be a game for Steam e.g. Dark Souls. But why?

I bought the Humble Bundle yesterday and chose to get em via a code for Steam, but I'm not sure if it's a better option than just downloading em straight to my PC.
    Probably to do with the the fact that they'll be kept up to date automatically in future.

edit: and cloud saving and having access to all your games from any pc you care to install steam on.

Edited by Salaman at 13:57:29 19-09-2012
  • oceanmotion 19 Sep 2012 14:01:34 15,803 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People just like one set of log in credentials and everything in the same place. Friends list, community and all that.

Still think it is a bit bizarre to have a no steam no buy policy that people seem to have now. Some people are acting like console fanboys.

Buying games DRM free from GOG etc. is such a better idea but not always an option for recent games so your just stuck with another Steam like service. Lets not forget Steam is DRM like the rest. Just another locked in store, albeit a more friendly one.

As for this case, it would interesting to see how things pan out. Locking you out of your games isn't on even if the EULA doesn't stand up in court.
  • Zizoo 19 Sep 2012 14:01:43 8,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh, I see. That is handy.

Sometimes Steam takes a really long time to open, which is irritating, but I think I just need to keep it open in the background.
  • matrim83 19 Sep 2012 14:43:12 5,587 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stricker wrote:
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Valve-Slammed-By-Consumer-Protection-Issued-Cease-Desist-Anti-Consu%20merist-EULA-47038.html

Thoughts? I'm surprised this isn't featured on the frontpage. It's a pretty big deal.
    There was an article on the front page about the Steam EULA when it came out IIRC. IMO it (the EULA) should have gotten a lot more flak than it did. If someone like EA did this with Origin there would have been a shit storm. But Valve got a free pass cause they are Valve (and dont get me wrong I love them). Nice to see someone calling them out on it.

And yeah, I think this is news worthy too.

Valar morghulis.

• Dirtbox 19 Sep 2012 14:46:09 77,686 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The trade off is that you have access to all your games from any computer anywhere. I don't really mind tbh. I'm not a console peasant that has to sell his old games to fund new ones; I rather enjoy having a library of classics.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Widge Moderator 19 Sep 2012 14:54:20 13,442 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Still think it is a bit bizarre to have a no steam no buy policy that people seem to have now. Some people are acting like console fanboys.
    Less fanboy, more about wanting one client and no discs. If something doesn't come out on Steam then I just have to live with it.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Zizoo 19 Sep 2012 14:59:53 8,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have so much to learn.

Edited by ZizouFC at 15:00:17 19-09-2012
  • MetalDog 19 Sep 2012 15:01:20 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What about GoG? No client, no discs, DL and install from any PC, back up files as much as you like. Not so good for the vs stuff, but for single player it beats the shit out of Steam.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Razz 19 Sep 2012 15:07:29 61,053 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I enjoy Valve games a lot, but I still don't like Steam very much. It's not a bad thing that they're questioned on the legalities of being able to lock you out of all the stuff you've paid for.
    Whoa whoa whoa, they can do what now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• neilka 19 Sep 2012 15:09:01 15,847 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    ACHTUNG GABY
    9/10

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Salaman 19 Sep 2012 15:12:40 18,957 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    MetalDog wrote:
    Whoa whoa whoa, they can do what now?
    They can have a window pop-up when you start steam that says "here's a new EULA, you need to click "ACCEPT" before you can continue.
    If you click cancel, steam closes.

So you are effectively locked out of all your games unless you agree to their new EULA.
  • Razz 19 Sep 2012 15:16:40 61,053 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, I thought it meant they could kick you out of steam and deny you access to your games at any time
    But the EULA thing kind of sets that precedent. Hmmm... I hope the EU court gives them a well deerved slap on the wrists.

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Afiddes 19 Sep 2012 15:47:15 1,164 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Console peasent ftw (sorry love the tag hate the stigmatism attached to it)

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• Salaman 19 Sep 2012 15:54:00 18,957 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ilovechips wrote:
    @Dirtbox

As a recent console pheasant who has flocked to this alternative perch, I swear I had install all my games from one computer to the other after confirming the swap with Steam, am I missing something? your Steam seems very "on demand". Still i'm not complaining the xbox has sat idle for three weeks, a system shock from it's nightly use.
    You still have to install a game before you can play it on a different pc. If you use a different PC though, you can log into your steam account and see your library of games. Download/install one of them and you can play it.

Razz ... I'm sure if they deem you violated their EULA they can lock you out, at any time.
  • superdelphinus 19 Sep 2012 15:54:44 8,040 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You
    Don't
    Own
    Anything
    In
    Your
    Steam
    Library
  • TechnoHippy 19 Sep 2012 15:55:18 14,707 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Steam pretty much killed PC gaming for me. So much fafing around to get anything working.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Dirtbox 19 Sep 2012 15:58:17 77,686 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Razz ... I'm sure if they deem you violated their EULA they can lock you out, at any time.
    But they don't and wouldn't. The EULA was put in place to cover their arses after they got hacked and a ton of malicious shit down to them, not to mention the kids trying to scam people by selling their account and telling valve they'd been hacked to get it back. Have you ever heard of anyone having their account locked out?

TechnoHippy wrote:
    Steam pretty much killed PC gaming for me. So much fafing around to get anything working.
    No, pretty sure that's just down to technical ineptitude. There's no difference between a steam copy of a game and a boxed copy.

Unless you have difficulty clicking the button with Install written on it and waiting until it turns into a button that says Play?

Edited by Dirtbox at 16:01:36 19-09-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• superdelphinus 19 Sep 2012 15:59:48 8,040 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Generally, EU law is an absolute unmitigated cunt. But in this sort of area it's a good thing
  • disusedgenius 19 Sep 2012 16:02:08 5,276 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Eh? What kind of issues did you have? If anything it's made things disturbingly simple compared to The Old Days.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous