Friggin pinball thread Page 7

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Roddy100 28 Feb 2013 00:38:09 783 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @boxoctosis Not odd at all. It's the same for me. I prefer the physics and general gameplay of Zen.

In all fairness though, I only ever played the trial version of Pinball Arcade and having not played many real pinball tables in my lifetime, I don't have the nostalgia to endear it to me.
  • H1ggyLTD 28 Feb 2013 00:48:47 1,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Clone Wars table is a good example of why Zen is not as good.

It's basically a series of paths, and you just spend ten minutes shooting the ball around the paths, with not much else going on in the way of challenges or features.

Pinball Arcade is a recreation of real life tables that were crafted by genius real life pinball creators.

Zen is made by computer game creators who decided to make a pinball game.

But, each to their own. :)

Edited by H1ggyLTD at 00:49:03 28-02-2013
  • PeacockDreams 28 Feb 2013 07:14:52 202 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    The Clone Wars table is a good example of why Zen is not as good.

It's basically a series of paths, and you just spend ten minutes shooting the ball around the paths, with not much else going on in the way of challenges or features.

Pinball Arcade is a recreation of real life tables that were crafted by genius real life pinball creators.

Zen is made by computer game creators who decided to make a pinball game.

But, each to their own. :)
    I think Zen is miles better for being a bit more cartoony in its feel, as somebody else once said on here, the Pinball Arcade tables are copies of actual tables that in turn were designed to take your hard earned pennies not to be fun as a video game. And it shows, some of the PA tables are dull!!!
    Tried them both and PA got deleted after a few days, for some reason I come back to Zen and I'm both, not very good and completely uninterested in pinball. Suppose PA is good fan service to the people who like classic Pinball Machines. It's the old FIFA v PES argument all over again really :)
  • Bealsy 28 Feb 2013 10:12:14 808 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have had various forms of Zen's iterations over the years, the only real pinball games that hold my attention. Got the new Star Wars tables on the Vita over phone/tablet/xbox as the graphics are the same as the consoles (better than phone/tablet) and I wanted portability.

XBL: The Bealesatron
    PSN: Shimbomba
    NNID: TheBealesatron

• Murbs 1 Mar 2013 09:24:07 22,591 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    7.99 for the tables? SOrry, but the Android versions are around 1.30 each which makes all three less than half the price. And they can be bought individually. Feel bad, but playing full table on the Nexus 7 looks great :-(
  • brn 1 Mar 2013 09:56:49 232 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Star Wars tables are awesome. Haven't quite got into the Clone Wars-table either, but just the Empire Strikes back and Boba Fett tables are well worth the price-tag. First ZP-tables where I kept the music on. And also that Han Solo spinner is hilarious.

Also, please add me if you play this a lot, I've been #1 on most of the Marvel-tables for a few months and I need some new competition. My scores range from 20-50 mill on most of them, almost 100 on the Spidey-table though.

psn: Prismacolour

Edited by brn at 09:59:49 01-03-2013
  • Bealsy 1 Mar 2013 10:43:46 808 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @brn I'm "Shimbomba" not at my Vita for a bit so feel free to add me.

XBL: The Bealesatron
    PSN: Shimbomba
    NNID: TheBealesatron

• Trowel 2 Mar 2013 18:03:00 18,072 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have given them a fair go now, and pleased to say they're growing on me - still too frantic and floaty, but the mission structure on Empire is brilliant, and Clone Wars is surprisingly deep, much more than the combo-fest it feels initially. Bit disappointed with Boba Fett - I like the layout but the modes are too similar to be interesting, nice touch to be able to trade off the bounty difficulty.

Vita PSN is Trowel_10 if anyone fancies themselves :)
  • aros 6 Mar 2013 12:44:44 3,423 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Brn, Trowel and Bealsy I'll add you - my PSN is aros2011
  • aros 6 Mar 2013 12:45:42 3,423 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I downloaded Pinball Arcade and several table trials on my Android and the physics just feel really off - it really makes you appreciate how good pinball is on Vita
  • H1ggyLTD 11 Mar 2013 20:59:08 1,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hmmmm...my Pinball Arcade appears to have stopped working.
  • H1ggyLTD 11 Mar 2013 21:14:37 1,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And it's back.

Not sure what happened there.
  • gamer246 11 Mar 2013 23:09:31 7 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pro pinball - Timeshock is great, and I would recommend it.
    It has great graphics and an excellent soundtrack, and it's aged well since it was released in 1996'.

Also check out visual pinball, it emulates real pinball tables. And it's good to tinker with, if you have some spare time. visual pinball link
  • jonsaan 21 Mar 2013 06:57:08 25,440 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Star Trek table is so good! Unlike the Star Wars table on Zen it uses the real actors for voices!

FCUTA!

• souvlaki 21 Mar 2013 08:06:34 729 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aye, I love it. Ive stopped playing zen pretty much now and just play pinball arcade. Star Trek is pretty much a perfect arcade table for me. Lots to do and score but a great potential to lose balls with no grinding. Zen is just to grindy once you get good. I also like the pool pinball table but can't remember the name. May be hot shots.

Anyhow, add me for score comparisons please people. dmukgr is the PSN name.
  • H1ggyLTD 25 Mar 2013 21:52:55 1,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Having enjoyed the Star Wars tables (well, two of them) more than i thought i would, i've bought the Plants vs Zombies table, which is fun.

Might pick up Street Fighter 2, Epic Quest, and Mars, tomorrow.
  • aros 26 Mar 2013 02:02:15 3,423 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Epic Quest is amazing and Mars strongly recommended. Let me know how SF2 is. Add me aros2011

How is the Civil War table guys? I enjoy the demo but it's just too short
  • aros 26 Mar 2013 02:08:08 3,423 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    7.99 for the tables? SOrry, but the Android versions are around 1.30 each which makes all three less than half the price. And they can be bought individually. Feel bad, but playing full table on the Nexus 7 looks great :-(
    Do you own any on Vita Murbs? It's just really poor onmobile compared to Vita
  • Roddy100 26 Mar 2013 02:11:45 783 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So Mars is good? I've been tempted by it but it's hard to get a real feel for it from the trial. As you say, the trials are just so short.

I'm pretty tempted by Earth Defense and Excalibur too. Are those worth getting?

I'm not sure about Epic Quest. I've read that it can get quite repetitive and I'm not sure if the levelling aspect would be annoying if, say, my wife wanted a go. You can't start fresh each time you play, right?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 26 Mar 2013 08:44:11 39,791 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been playing Pinball Arcade a lot on my Nexus 7 recently. I much prefer it to Zen even though I had a lot of fun with Pinball FX 2 on the 360. I downloaded ESB on the Nexus and was quite disappointed by it, but PA's Star Trek and Twilight Zone tables are great. But then I played both when Pinball machines were still a thing :-)

If they released the Terminator 2 and Batman: The Movie tables I would be very happy indeed.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Murbs 26 Mar 2013 09:13:47 22,591 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    aros wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    Actually, no I don't. But storage on the Vita is an issue and 2 pinball games is just greedy ;-)
  • Murbs 26 Mar 2013 09:13:48 22,591 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    aros wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    Actually, no I don't. But storage on the Vita is an issue and 2 pinball games is just greedy ;-)
  • jonsaan 27 Mar 2013 07:50:50 25,440 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Star trek is excellent though. Just saying....

FCUTA!

• Trowel 27 Mar 2013 07:57:53 18,072 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Star Trek was pissing me off this morning because of the Final Frontier camera bug (locks to plunger view during multiball) - made it there twice in one game, hit the bug both times (125m a shot on my second visit, painful all those balls draining).

Still, a 6bn+ score for you to chase jonsaan ;)
  • H1ggyLTD 30 Mar 2013 18:08:19 1,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gorgar is absolutely brutal.
  • Trowel 18 Apr 2013 21:31:18 18,072 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pinball Arcade finally greenlit for Steam. The PC version should be the definitive version.
  • H1ggyLTD 18 Apr 2013 21:35:10 1,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd never play it on a PC. Or a console.
  • TheBear 22 Apr 2013 11:36:38 4,536 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Usually prefer the Pinball Arcade tables, but, absolutely love The Empire Strikes Back. Could do with a few more people on my friends leaferboards though!
    Feel free to add me if you have space, the_bear1972.
  • Roddy100 7 May 2013 23:45:05 783 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zen Studios are releasing a standalone Star Wars pinball platform on PSN next week.

I'm not sure what to make of this as I like having all my tables under one umbrella. Think I'll just stick with the Zen 2 platform for convenience.
  • stoneskull 28 May 2013 17:48:48 31 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    hey there.. i'm pretty new to eurogamer.. but not to the vita or pinball.

my other friends don't really play pinball so i would like to have more of a challenge.

i'm not one of those super wizards who top the global charts or anything but do love pinball and like to try and beat friends high scores..

so please add me if you want more challengers..

PSN: theStoneSkull

ps.. i bought the star wars tables on zen before but now i just downloaded the stand alone version.. plays the same but the high scores aren't carried over, there are more team and multiplayer things going on, some more trophies.. it keeps telling me to press x to buy the full game pack for trophies but nothing happens when i try.. teething issues i spose..

Edited by stoneskull at 17:56:48 28-05-2013
  • Page

of 10 First / Last