• RobTheBuilder 15 Apr 2013 17:13:44 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    So true
  • quadfather 15 Apr 2013 18:13:06 11,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ninjastare - yup so far so good! Still trying to get megaman x for something less than 50 quid!

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• AceGrace 16 Apr 2013 16:32:55 1,021 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @AceGrace - I've actually seen it somewhere. I need to think where it was
    Any joy remembering?
  • quadfather 17 Apr 2013 13:05:49 11,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it was at a car boot in Glossop. I know that's not very useful information, but I'm pretty sure it was that one. It was about 2 weeks ago.

Again, I know that's not very useful :/

• quadfather 17 Apr 2013 13:11:08 11,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    @quadfather Dunno if it's been said but Turtles in Time should be in every SNES collection as far as I'm concerned. Might be the best beat 'em up ever. That plus Castlevania 4 and whatever Mega Man X you fancy/can get your hands on and your collection is looking pretty sexy.

I wouldn't invest too heavily in shmups for a SNES. R-Type games are obviously good whatever the weather and Super Aleste ain't bad but you can just feel that the hardware ain't a good fit.
    Hmm, that turtles in time looks really good actually. Can see it for around 35. I'll see if I can find it cheaper

• Retroid Moderator 17 Apr 2013 13:25:14 44,503 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hate price inflation. I'm not interested in old games because of perceived monetary value.
  • Nades 17 Apr 2013 15:59:13 1,032 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I got a few of them old Destruction Derby games off Ebay some months back. Brought back some good memories of when I used to play them, as a kid.

Liverpool FC

• AceGrace 17 Apr 2013 16:35:02 1,021 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I think it was at a car boot in Glossop. I know that's not very useful information, but I'm pretty sure it was that one. It was about 2 weeks ago.

Again, I know that's not very useful :/
    Damn and blast! What are the chances of it still being there if you go back?
  • quadfather 17 Apr 2013 17:04:35 11,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll definitely check the next time I go - I go there once a week, but the car boot is a monthly thing I think. I'll go though, when it's next on

• Psiloc 18 Apr 2013 11:03:30 1,412 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Do you have an NTSC SNES or a cart adapter of any kind? A lot of SNES games are considerably cheaper if you get the SFC version and Turtles in particular shouldn't be too affected by the language (in fact it might even be in English - a lot of non-story-focused games were like that).

The Mega Man X's do have Japanese text - and there is a semblance of a storyline that you'd miss out on - but you could literally get all of the SFC releases for the price of a single English Mega Man X cart. This is the only reason I have more than one Mega Man X game :) and speaking from experience it won't affect your ability to finish it.

A bonus to all of this if you're using an actual NTSC console is that the games will also run full screen and full speed.
  • quadfather 18 Apr 2013 12:00:31 11,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Psiloc - Interesting. I've never faffed about with any kind of adapters. And mine is a Pal snes.

What are my options in getting Ntsc games up and running then? I think I'd particularly enjoy the full screen + speed.

Do I need a particular kind of adapter? Could I even buy an NTSC snes and then utilise some kind of USA -> UK AC adapter?

• Psiloc 18 Apr 2013 12:31:59 1,412 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Just getting a SFC is the cheapest and easiest option if you want the full NTSC experience. Unlike the US SNES it uses the exact same power adapter as the UK SNES, so you just need to pop in your existing power supply and you're good (though depending on your telly you might need an RGB cable - easy enough to find as they were the same cables all the way up to the Wii).

The downside is that to play US SNES games on the SFC you have to either remove the case or mutilate it to fit the bigger carts in. Doing it vice versa is easier because a SFC cart will fit in a US SNES with just a tiny mod... but a US SNES will cost a lot more than a SFC and you'd have to find either a compatible power supply or a step down converter. The thing is ugly as sin too.

Either way you are completely right in wanting to play full screen + full speed! Feels SO much better to play.
  • Psiloc 18 Apr 2013 12:36:27 1,412 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That being said, since we were talking economics, if you just want to play the import games and can live with the 50hz thing there are a ton of carts that will do the job. I think they're called Universal Adapters and they shouldn't be too expensive.
  • quadfather 18 Apr 2013 12:41:13 11,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hmm, reading up there seems to be a few caveats with these things.

Be aware that all these Clone systems are designed to run NTSC (60Mhz) games. I can't speak for SNES titles, but for PAL NES games this causes something of a headache.

Put a PAL NES game into one of these NTSC systems and it runs about 20% faster (this is most noticeable in the sped-up music). For some games this is not a problem (Double Dragon, Mega Man 2, Duck Tales). They simply play as if they were NTSC versions.

However, during the 80's and 90's many developers realized they were short-changing European customers by giving them a game designed for an NSTC system that would play 20% slower on their PAL set up.

So they went back into the game code and tweeked it to run 20% faster for European release. This means if you play Super Mario Brothers in either PAL or NTSC on the correct system you will experience more or less identical games running at the same speed. However, if you take your PAL copy of Mario and stick it in an NTSC system you get Mario on speed! The music sounds like some kind of crazy dance-remix and the whole experience is ruined, the game just feels wrong.

Now the big question is, how many PAL games were enhanced to play at the correct speed (and wont work correctly on an NTSC system)? Based on my experience collecting/testing roms I would say considerably more than 50%, possibly as high as 70%

I've seen a couple of converter atapters, but apparently the AD-29 is the best one to go for.

Also, SFC = Super Famicon Cartridge? I.e., Jap?

• quadfather 18 Apr 2013 13:01:10 11,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    this looks like a good solution

• quadfather 18 Apr 2013 15:07:19 11,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or a universal cartridge for 20 quid is probably a cheaper idea

• Psiloc 18 Apr 2013 15:31:14 1,412 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SFC = Super FamiCom. It is a flawed acronym now you mention it.

That quote there is 100% true but it wouldn't actually affect your situation. Since you'd be looking to play NTSC titles on a PAL system and not the other way around, any optimisations the developer made to the PAL version won't come into play. What it does mean though is you will get precisely 83% speed without any optimisation the developer might have done with the official PAL version. I wouldn't really let that put you off though, as far as I can tell none of the PAL games I own have any optimisation. It's a different situation than with the NES where optimisation was much simpler.

Anyway, yes, buying a modded console will also work if you want to go that route but since you already have a PAL SNES I think just sourcing an SFC console-only would work out cheaper. Though then you'd have two consoles knocking about rather than one... I suppose this ones a matter of preference. Personally I have a PAL SNES and a US one set up simultaneously at all times but then again I'm a massive loser.
  • Retroid Moderator 18 Apr 2013 15:43:40 44,503 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apart from specifically PAL-coded games I can't imagine any reason other than nostalgia to bother with PAL consoles.

Home computers, yes, they had lots coded for PAL-specific timings. NES, SNES, Megadrive etc? Wouldn't touch them.
  • quadfather 18 Apr 2013 16:17:28 11,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Psiloc - Or perhaps the universal adapter? That would at least let me use ntsc games? Then I could get a fannycom later on down the line for the jap releases?

Heh, well, I've got a close-able unit downstairs where I have about 4-5 adjustable shelves, so I can juggle it around to fit a fair few consoles in there. I've got a 360, DC and a Pal Snes already, so I could easily fit another snes in there. I'd quite like a us snes actually. How much are the step down transformers? Easily available?

@Retroid - I know what you mean and I've got a wii that I could download these games onto, but a) I'm a sucker for nostalgia, b) the snes is in the front room so it's very handy for a quick blast (everything else is in the attic so that requires dedicated gaming time), and c) I'm as much of a loser as Psiloc. And proud of it!

• Deleted user 18 April 2013 16:18:22
    Best Megadrive you can get is the Hong Kong version with the purple markings. Ive got one and it plays all regions games - really good.

I have a PAL SNES with a converter to play NTSC games - some of the later titles like Yoshis Island and Demons Crest dont work though - they must have better protection.

I actually have a Super Famicom and a NTSC SNES as well. The Super Famicom I could only get a black and white picture - must need a different cable.

The NTSC SNES I picked up from a carboot sale - dont know if it even works!

Someone mentioned on one of the other threads the SNES 'Everdrive'. That looks a worthy purchase.
  • Retroid Moderator 18 Apr 2013 16:19:52 44,503 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I prefer owning the originals and then emulating them on either my PSPGo or Xperia Play. I always have the actual hardware to play them on if I really want to invest the space & time needed :)

Also, a lot of these 'compatible' systems are really just emulators in boxes from what I've read. If I'm going to have a box hooked up to the TV I want the actual guts in there!

Edited by Retroid at 16:22:20 18-04-2013
  • Psiloc 18 Apr 2013 16:54:48 1,412 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Definitely, if you just want to play imported games then the universal adapter is the way to go but just remember that even though the carts are NTSC they'll playback like a shoddy PAL port. Since most of the SNES PAL library are shoddy port jobs anyway it could be argued that you're not actually losing anything.

RE: US SNES, I must admit I was given my step-down converter and I don't really know much about it. My advice would be to check ebay for the going rate, however a fact that seems to escape most importers is that if you can find a universal power supply that provides the right voltage/ampage/whatever and has a tip that will fit the console it will work just fine. For some reason a lot of people think importing = step-down converter.

@Retroid I've tried unlicensed versions of the SNES and the MD and yes, they're utter garbage. Worse than any software emulator I've ever played in fact, the sound on both was out of time and off key. Originals all the way.
  • Psiloc 18 Apr 2013 17:02:14 1,412 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BTW to anyone interested in this 60hz business, there's a real easy mod for the MD that will make it play most PAL games in 60hz. It just involves lifting a single leg of the processor from the motherboard, so it's not connected to anything.

*checks* pin 46, which is the seventh leg up from the bottom left corner of the CPU. Technically it should be connected to ground I think but it's worked fine on my MD for years.

Used this method to 'convert' my PAL Hong Kong MD into a Japanese one :)

Love talking about old consoles.

EDIT: Oops, should have noted instructions are for the MD2. MD1 should be a very similar mod but it might be a different leg.

Edited by Psiloc at 17:33:00 18-04-2013
  • quadfather 18 Apr 2013 17:06:38 11,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Interesting. See, now you've sown the seed that I must get a US snes to check the full screen and speed out. FFS! :) I'll have a hunt around for a US one and see what the going rate is. If it's too much, I'll just get a universal adapter.

And yes, I've tried emulation, but it just doesn't cut it for me. I need hardware, and a fuckton of it

• quadfather 18 Apr 2013 17:40:09 11,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone know a good site to get a ntsc snes from? Tried various, and end up back on ebay with mental shipping costs

• danathjo 18 Apr 2013 18:28:25 7,222 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Google retro game base
    great se London shop That sell modded snes' with a 50/60 switch

not surgeon price though

I'd also fully recommend getting a super everdrive, well worth a bit of research and purchase

nothing like emulation as its exactly the same as playing the original cart with a snes, there's also a sd2snes cart which will play all the chipped games the everdrive won't but it's bloody expensive!
  • danathjo 18 Apr 2013 18:29:29 7,222 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    not sure on price btw, not surgeon :)
  • Page

of 5 First / Last