Planetside 2 Page 4

• Page

of 65 First / Last

• MikeP 26 Sep 2012 11:55:28 2,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Thanks for sharing those, that's exactly the type of thing I was after. One thing they really did was eliminate my concern that it might all be too much serious business for me - I think Tank Stacking made it clear that's not always the case.

I was also a little concerned infantry weren't much use, but that video Dirtbox shared showed plenty of useful infantry play. It really does feel like there's a real push and pull to this major war.

So seconds ago I joined Alpha Squad. It's really not a bad offer - 30 worth of points that I can use for some other games I play too, plus some extra stuff for PS2 later on. Worst case scenario is I have plenty of points for my other games :)
    There are quite a few of us rolling with the Rock Paper Shotgun guys. We have a Steam Group going, with comms and a general strategic approach that involves larking about.

What's your Steam ID, Fawkes?

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• DFawkes 26 Sep 2012 12:27:19 24,106 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm usually DFawkes on most thing, including Steam. What server and faction should I join? I know orpheus said Vanu on Herse (EU), is that the same one for the RPS guys?

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• orpheus 26 Sep 2012 12:43:12 1,015 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I'm usually DFawkes on most thing, including Steam. What server and faction should I join? I know orpheus said Vanu on Herse (EU), is that the same one for the RPS guys?
    Yup, same one. :)
  • MikeP 26 Sep 2012 12:49:20 2,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah we're all there in the main, although we have picked different allegiances on the other servers so we can mix it up if we so choose.

• SClaw 26 Sep 2012 13:11:00 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DFawkes Serious sometimes. Very serious. But that gets old and in PS2 - as in PS1 - it gives you great ways to dick around while still playing the game. Tank stacking is great... tank surfing is out at the moment, which is a shame, but I think it'll return.

You can also mess around and be useful, which is what the Flash (quad bike) is all about! A whole squad (12) buzzing around in a mass pack of those is hilarious because the handling is mental. Last night I even put a gun on mine... can't hit shit with it... I can't wait until I unlock the mortar for it (I think the bike will go faster than the shell).
  • DFawkes 26 Sep 2012 13:21:49 24,106 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't get me wrong, I like some seriousness. When there's a big push to take an objective, I'm all for trying my best. I mostly don't want people getting pissed off at me when I'm crap!

I manage to mostly side-step that in Team Fortress 2 by being a Medic or Engineer, which as I understand it is also a viable option in PS2, so I'll probably do something like that.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Gustave 26 Sep 2012 14:32:53 91 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Am in the beta also. Steam ID is madman107 or Gustave in game.
  • DFawkes 26 Sep 2012 16:11:18 24,106 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This game is a bit awesome then, isn't it :)

I have to admit I just had a little stroll through nice secure territory at first to get a feel for it. Then I decided to walk towards the enemy, and was a bit disappointed that nothing much seemed to be happening.

Then it kicked off! A small group of allied tanks sped past, with a cloak of air support sweeping past. I could see snipers edge along the hills, taking up positions to assault something I hadn't yet seen as it was just over the ridge. As I hit the top of the ridge, it's clear what we're doing - an assault on an enemy tower. It's on!

Another group of tanks sweep in as I try to join in. Heavy shells rain down on the tower, destroying their turrets. They try to bring their own tanks in, and manage to watch our numbers, but by this time they're surrounded and we storm in to take their base.

So I wander in and change class to Engi to patch up some of our tanks. Then, little red triangles appear. Lots of them. They gear up for a counter-attack, so I run upstairs to bash the turrets back into shape. We don't have many tanks left by this stage, and even with the turrets we're not in the best position.

But I'd forgotten one thing - the air support! They'd held back from the initial push, so when those enemy tanks appears they showered them in death and destruction. Some infantry get through, but by this time the transport aircraft has dropped off reinforcements. In the end, it was ours!

I also indulged in a little stealth mission to take their territory, which was fun. Tanks passing mere meters away, as I use the terrain as cover. Worked well too at first, I got to the capture point, took it and held it for all of 60 seconds before a fully loaded transport appears. It's fair to say those guys won :)

The fact this is all persistent and still on-going as I type is fantastic. Luckily you guys should all be around too. For the Vanu! or whatever it is we're supposed to say.

• SClaw 27 Sep 2012 08:55:38 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Another silly Barney. Sigh!

It's a bit good isn't it? I think the first time it got dark was when I realised I'd be playing this for years. Tracer fire all over... you can't see shit until it's on you... neon bases lighting up the horizon...

Makes every other FPS feel a bit pointless in my opinion. I can't see myself going back to play BF3 with it's piddling couple paper tanks after being in the middle of a 100+ three way tank brawl in PS2.
  • MikeP 27 Sep 2012 12:50:34 2,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Another silly Barney. Sigh!

It's a bit good isn't it? I think the first time it got dark was when I realised I'd be playing this for years. Tracer fire all over... you can't see shit until it's on you... neon bases lighting up the horizon...

Makes every other FPS feel a bit pointless in my opinion. I can't see myself going back to play BF3 with it's piddling couple paper tanks after being in the middle of a 100+ three way tank brawl in PS2.
    Yeah, I love the way it can change so fast. You can be chilling out defending a location, only to see a Galaxy full of troops hove into view around a hill, then you know it's on.

Us Purple Lazor Noobs were on a roll last night. I think the Euro crowd go for disco lasers, whereas the USA like their guns with bullets, pop. balance does seem to swing about a lot over the course of a night

• SClaw 27 Sep 2012 13:04:15 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's because of the "fourth faction". As in tossers who change sides when one is "losing". I think it's just a beta thing, I suspect it'll be locked down to one faction per server in the future.

Funny thing is; those people are dumb. It's when you're losing that you earn the most certs - there's more to capture back and almost no way for for the other sides to defend everything.

We're also lacking the complex commander perks like mulitple waypoints, map notes and command channel. This game will rock even harder when it's finished.
  • MikeP 27 Sep 2012 16:07:27 2,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @SClaw I'd not thought of that - don't you have to delete a char to switch sides on a server? Where's the fun in that, you don't get to progress any of the unlocks?

Agree about the commander perks, It'll be interesting to see how things develop when more sophisticated tactics start to take hold.

• DFawkes 27 Sep 2012 18:05:53 24,106 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I keep forgetting this is a proper beta, with tons still to add. Besides some little issues (like the quad bike spawning so hard you die) the core game feels really solid and enjoyable. I still have so much to learn too.

One thing I have to ask - is it worth shooting aircraft as infantry? Firing with the Heavy Assault machine gun thing feels good, but is there any point? I never do it when there's any other threat around, just if that's the only target around.

• MikeP 27 Sep 2012 19:04:16 2,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I keep forgetting this is a proper beta, with tons still to add. Besides some little issues (like the quad bike spawning so hard you die) the core game feels really solid and enjoyable. I still have so much to learn too.

One thing I have to ask - is it worth shooting aircraft as infantry? Firing with the Heavy Assault machine gun thing feels good, but is there any point? I never do it when there's any other threat around, just if that's the only target around.
    Save your ammo would be my advice. Having been under infantry small arms fire it does very little damage, certainly not enough to threaten to bring down an aircraft unless it was on its last legs.

• orpheus 28 Sep 2012 02:18:46 1,015 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Awesome inbound:

As some of you have fondly noted, the cost for certain certs in the game are a bit out of whack right now. We're in the middle of a big certification rebalance which will be up on beta with next week's push. This will affect cert prices as well as cert point accumulation rates.

With tonight's patch we will be re-enabling passive cert point gain and for the next week we will be cranking the rate of the gain up quite a bit. We're doing this so that we can test a lot of the higher level certs which are impossible to acquire right now with the current costs and cert point acquisition rates. I want to be clear that this weeks passive cert point rate is ABSOLUTELY NOT indicative of our final rate, it's juiced way up.

Now for the painful part - with next week's patch and certification point rebalance we will be doing a character wipe. Next week's patch is going to be really exciting, we'll be adding Esamir to the game as well as ungating almost all of the remaining certs and solidifying cert point costs across the board. So this week, enjoy the fast cert point gain, try out lots of certs and let us know what works well, what works too well, and what doesn't work at all.

Looking forward to seeing your feedback and finally getting that Nanoweave armor...
    Edited by orpheus at 02:38:19 28-09-2012
  • SClaw 28 Sep 2012 09:44:42 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's going to be a crazy weekend!

Last night I had some super awesome success with the Flash - the Gun Flash (which survived so many fights - often one's I didn't - I named it Susan)! Putting a 20mm on that stupid bike is the best Aux I ever spent.

I charged down this group of dirty Barneys on Susan, who all stood there like smart arses shooting me - they were not expecting return fire to mow them down! Hahaha! Nor was that Barney capping an internal point expecting someone to ride INTO the building and chase him out (ok, I admit I accidently fell off and died but Susan made it out).

And then... I killed three magriders with Susan. The first one was a clean kill, just chipping away at him and zooming off as he tried to figure out what the hell was happening. The second one was a crazy accident, as I was boozed up on Susan's mighty power and decided to solo charge a magrider and a sundy by myself. I went UNDER the magrider, panicked and hit E... died as I fell off... and the magrider bugged out, flipped over and exploded. And as I spawned nearby... SUSAN WAS ALIVE! The last one was a real duel, with me circling the magrider and zooming under him as he desparately tried to bring his gun around to get me (never switch to the secondary, do you Barney?). That was a close one but I got him. I mean, it takes about 200 rounds but it's possible and hilarious.

Unfortunately I was killed soon after and although Susuan survived I had to respawn really far away. I couldn't get back to her in time. Poor, valiant Gun Flash Susan. She lived and died for the Republic.
  • MMMarmite 28 Sep 2012 11:10:37 1,112 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really need to get back online this weekend, I'm missing all the action :(
  • MikeP 28 Sep 2012 11:50:26 2,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm going to smash in a few hours tonight, then that's it for a week, I'm off on holidays. Still, I don't mind, the last thing I want is to get all BitterVet before the game's even launched.

Seeing how lush the Ultra-High Quality settings look I might be splashing out on a replacement PC come the New Year.

http://www.evcitadel.com/community/threads/how-to-activate-the-ultra-high-settings.30967/

Going to wait until they've gone through a load more optimisation and the spec has settled down, though.

• SClaw 28 Sep 2012 13:22:47 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/game-update-notes-09-28-2012.25112/#post-335272
  • DFawkes 28 Sep 2012 16:58:36 24,106 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love the tone of that update post, nice and light hearted. You get the sense they're genuiely creating something they want to play.

A couple more newbie question though. First, what is hacking with an Infiltrator for? Secondly, there are things in bases (the icon looks like a sphere) that I could repair as an Engineer, yet I have no idea what they're for. Are they worth repairing?

• SClaw 28 Sep 2012 19:15:45 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:First, what is hacking with an Infiltrator for?
    Being an asshole.

Basically, exactly what you think - you take over whatever you hack in a base. A weapon terminal... a gun...

It's broken at the moment because there is no way to fix it after being hacked.

DFawkes wrote:
    Secondly, there are things in bases (the icon looks like a sphere) that I could repair as an Engineer, yet I have no idea what they're for. Are they worth repairing?
    In a triangle? That's the shield generator. It powers the faction coloured force fields which stop the enemy from moving and shooting through them.

Edited by SClaw at 19:16:10 28-09-2012
  • DFawkes 28 Sep 2012 19:24:16 24,106 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers SClaw :)

I seem to have received a spare key, should anyone else be interested (got it at 7pm, so hopefully there'll be others in Alpha Squad with spares now). I know there are people already waiting in this thread, but I'm not sure who already has access so I'll first come, first served.

• Nasty 28 Sep 2012 20:46:41 4,748 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes please!
  • DFawkes 28 Sep 2012 21:02:12 24,106 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Done :)

I was going to play it just now, but I forgot that update was up. It's taking its sweet time, but some of those improvements sounds good so it'll be worth it. Not even sure what these Cert things are but I'll learn by doing.

• Nasty 28 Sep 2012 21:04:14 4,748 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pint to that man :)
  • SClaw 28 Sep 2012 21:12:40 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Certs are talent points, to use a WoW turn of phrase.

Waaaaaaaaaaah loads is very broken. With most of the Certs open and you getting points at a crazy rate you can try loads out... and loads is totally ballsed up. For a start, don't take any vehicle ammo upgrades because they only work sometimes. But it's a beta... that's the point. You can see how far they've got to go though.

On thing that is really ticking me off is the menu. It's bloody rubbish.

Right... want this upgrade *click* *click* *click*... and that works on all characters in this slot *click* *click* *click* eh... and the next class *click* *click* *click*... and the next... sigh...

Oh yeah, that and the fact that several of the guns are plainly the same with different names simply so you have to unlock the same scopes on them. Not good.
  • MikeP 29 Sep 2012 09:12:38 2,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There was a weird bug last night that was showing things like scopes as ammo items - if you selected incorrectly in the weapon setup you'd lock out that class.

It's easily solved, you just go into the loadout, remove all the weapon addons and then try again.

I was loving the extended jetpack duration and recharge rate last night.

• DFawkes 29 Sep 2012 12:11:01 24,106 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I already loved PS2, but certs have made it that little bit better. I even got into some 1 on 1 scraps and didn't die! That's a real achievement for me, but with boosted armour and lower recoil it's starting to feel like it'll accommodate my play-style nicely :)

I did have a bit of a facepalm moment last night though. I was sitting in a turret, chasing off a couple of fighters, but that's all there seemed to be. I started getting a tad bored, so got out and saw a single guy running towards my base. Again, I dealt with him but wondered why it was so quiet.

Then I turned around for the first time and noticed what must've been the entire NC army were taking the base! I'd been sitting looking the other way for a good 20 minutes as they've steamrollered in with tanks and MAX units and who knows what else, having already captured the point and destroyed the generators. We took it back in the end though, with me fixing up stuff as others held the enemy back.

• Nasty 29 Sep 2012 16:15:14 4,748 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm in, purple and NastyEG.

Hunners o' fun this. Much less frustrating than the first and in a few hours play I've witnessed at least 10 moments that made me cry that I dont have fraps running.
  • SClaw 30 Sep 2012 20:33:21 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's not been any fun since the cert dump. No one is working together anymore and because they've got issues with a lot of things it's become annoying to get things done tactically. Warp gate shields are broken again, allowing fire to pass through them and the single person capping situation is totally out of control now it's easy to fast acq cert a fighters. I'm pretty much done with this until the wipe next week when I'm sure thing will be sane again.
  • Page

of 65 First / Last