Planetside 2 Page 30

• Page

of 63 First / Last

• orpheus 8 Jan 2013 20:00:50 994 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Carbon_Altered wrote:
    Thanks again - you are all very helpful!

Through one of the links I discovered that the engineer's mounted gun can also drop ammo, so there is no real need for the ammo drop itself in the load out. So I think I could replace that with a mine (personnel v tank) or C4 (which costs twice as much certs). Any opinions gratefully received.
    Both good. Ta for the wishes all. strong painkillers, very sleepy. more docs the morrow. boooooooo
  • Carbon_Altered 8 Jan 2013 22:50:16 675 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:
    The VX6-7 is on sale today, it's mental-crazy good. Slapped the rail style 1x scope on it, quick blast to the chest and enemies crumple over immediately.
    Purchased, thanks. Like it so far - rapid fire helps offset my wandering aim!

Thinking about add ons now (you can't test them can you?). Had a rail stability thing and 3.4x sight on first engineer gun (solstice?) and not sure they added that much so may try something different here.

What is the 1x scope you mention?

And is the laser sight for hip fire any use?
  • Carbon_Altered 8 Jan 2013 22:51:28 675 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PS if all my questions are irritating I will go away and read the wiki/forums instead, but you lot seem more friendly!
  • TheRealBadabing 8 Jan 2013 23:04:31 1,283 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Generally speaking, if you are using a gun like the VX6 or Serpent you will not get many kills at mid to long range (damage falls off at distance), so you might as well play to the strengths of the weapon and buff up the close range effectiveness.

Laser sights, low magnification/IRNV scopes, suppressors and soft point ammo all help getting as much damage on target as quickly as possible at close range.
  • andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 00:49:21 8,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    VX6-7 purchased, only 20sc spare now...

I seem to be getting a lot more kills with it than I was with the other engineer gun. Put a red dot sight on it and was ripping through enemies.

Starting to favour engineer over medic now, I think it's because I have anti infantry mines which are great fun to use...

Hope you get better soon Orpheus, I just run around in a zerg without your leadership!
  • tonyferrino 9 Jan 2013 01:10:03 178 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The IR/NV scope made my night tonight, along with the VX6-7. It really helps if you're a bit slow like me, I got the drop on people I would have been taken out by before quite easily. That and the AA Max got me a fair few kills (when PS2 wasn't repeatedly crashing on me). Laser sight next for the VX, I think.

I also picked up the Sundy spawn upgrade just in case.

Edited by tonyferrino at 01:11:10 09-01-2013
  • Widge Moderator 9 Jan 2013 09:22:09 13,273 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Last night was FUN. I dropped into action and got involved on the dusty desert planet contesting The Crown. A hell hole of snipers, air support, LOTS of tanks. I couldn't get near the place without getting murdered. Ended up on the outskirts at a Sundy across a ravine holding a stem of approaching tanks. Eventually I died and decided to change tactic and spawned to a nearby area by a Biolab. I could see The Crown in the distance and decided to come out as an anti-aircraft MAX. I then stood at the top of a hill swatting down their air support as they attacked our magriders and sundy's. Eventually they rolled up to where I was in tanks and I quickly noted that they were attempting to capture the Biolab. Cut to an interior battle where we slogged it out and eventually cut off their route in and forcing them out. THEN BACK TO THE NORM... I got back outside where I was before, more swatting... except nothing to swat so pushed forwards.

Ended up back where I was getting annihilated and changed my MAX layout to big machine gun and anti-vehicle, started WHOMPING the opposition, pushing across a bridge, and then in some awesome play, I marauded up a hill, massively destroying both person, tank and sundy alike. This let the entire load of people behind me come in. From that point it was a swift pinning back of the Crown's external spawn and a total overrunning of the facility. Such JOY as I imagined all those irritating Heavies and Snipers raining death down upon us coming to an end. This was an I FEEL VITAL part of yesterday, as I felt my surge forwards opened the door for this brute assault.

Anyway, in a bit of downtime there, I found that I had somehow become captain of the squad I was in and was in part of the VS Zerg. From then on it was a grand sweep across the map capturing places, I was setting objectives for the squad and we rolled across the map. Was awesome to see little green blobs on my map following me to where I was going as support. I had some fellow in my Magrider firing a gun. Then I got a Platoon invite which meant the Squad was now an official part of the mega-Zerg and I co-ordinated strikes to help take places designated as targets.

Anyway, the remaining areas of the map to cause a continent lockout were taking too long. What I thought would be minutes dragged on for an hour so I had to can it at 1 am.

All in all, that was an awesome piece of participation!

So I'm not adverse to being part of a squad sometimes. Question: how do I set one up for Dotbad people? And do I have to invite each person into it?

Also being a Squad Leader, where do all these certs live?

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 09:57:23 8,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That sounds awesome. I sent you a message asking for a squad invite but I imagine you missed it with all the excitement!

Are the anti vehicle guns any good for the max? Never really used them before.

Does levelling up have any advantage what so ever? I know you unlock extra load outs at certain levels but that's all I can see. Do you get any bonus certs or anything?

Tony- if the game is crashing make sure you unplug any controllers. Was happening to me and support said it was because of that.
  • Widge Moderator 9 Jan 2013 10:12:57 13,273 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah sorry about that, text is a bit small on my front room TV (I need a new one really, it suffers from moire at 1080p thanks to some bizarre processing issues). Although I think this game is more suitable for those who have a TV right in front of their face, so easy to miss things.

What I need is to make the Squad open, but open for Dotbad people.

_ _ _

• orpheus 9 Jan 2013 10:14:16 994 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sounds great mate! Really chuffed you've gotten to grips with the SL role - very often if I'm not on the outfit will just all do their own thing, until someone sets a squad up, and then it all gets much better! :)

Ok. Starting one is as simple as inviting through the Outfit or Friends menus (arrow button next to name), or by holding Q over a player and using the radial menu. Max is 12 players, the thirteenth is a menu only 'invite to form platoon' and places said player as SL of the newly formed second squad. Max 4 squads in a Platoon.

SL certs are found on the main cert screen under Leadership. By far the most important is the orders channel (100 c), which puts you in an additional chat channel with all other faction SLs on the server. /Leader to talk in the channel (cross continent) and /orders to issue continent-wide orders which appear to all players on your current continent. Forget the exact name of the cert but should be obvious.

Next most important is Squad Beacon (100c). This auto equips to all infantry classes when you're leading a squad and allows members to drop-pod spawn at the beacon location. It needs clear sky above to deploy one and shoots a 50ft faction-coloured beam out of the top, so the more inaccessible the position you drop it the better - 4 or five bullets will kill one. Additional levels reduce both the timer between laying one and the respawn timer itself.

Other SL certs worth having are the continent-wide attack/defend markers (visible to all players), and to a lesser extent the one that allows you to mark an objective to the squad (highlight cap point A for example, only works on cap points, not generators etc. Hold Q over the point to highlight with radial menu). Rally points are coloured smoke visible on map and while playing, one is useful to have. Extra waypoints are self explanatory when leading platoons - bravo etc SLs can set their own but the extra ones either override those or add another (not sure which) so you can send your extra squads to specific locations instead of relying on the SLs themselves.

Essentials are the orders channel and the beacon, rest is good but only if you do it regularly.

Once the squad is up, you can use the squad menu to open (or close) recruitment. Give the squad a name (always have [UBAD] in the title so other outfits know who they're working with), select from outfit/friends only and private squad depending on your preference. Letting randoms join is good to boost numbers but will inevitably be more work to coordinate, and some will always outright ignore you no matter how hard you try. If you set it outfit only, outfit members will be able to see it under 'outfit' in the squad selection screen filters and join without direct invites - will save you doing them all manually.

I'd love to see more SLs in UBAD - not only will it give me a break (lol), but if I'm not on and no one starts one, people drift off on their own, which sucks for everyone! Being SL is hard work at times but rewarding, so grats for giving it a go! Well timed too since I'm likely to be knocked out for a few more days, and I've been getting on later than I'd like the last few weeks, so someone to dive in when I'm not about would be a real boon to the outfit, especially for the earlier EU players. :)

Edited by orpheus at 10:21:39 09-01-2013
  • orpheus 9 Jan 2013 10:23:09 994 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh and first info on the big January patch:

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/happy-new-year-update-02-info.77203/
  • andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 10:41:02 8,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What time do we generally all play? I tend to go on from around 11pm most nights.

Widge - good luck with the squad leader role, I'll try to remember to join if you set it to outfit. A much better game when you're part of an organised squad
  • DUFFKING 9 Jan 2013 12:00:33 7,111 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't stand the fucking crown. I've seen VS take it twice and immediately get pushed back everywhere else because everyone thinks 'HOLY SHIT WE GOT THE CROWN' and spawns there leaving nobody to actually do anything useful.
  • Widge Moderator 9 Jan 2013 12:01:34 13,273 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I need to get more people on my friends list to assist with Squadding. I don't mind doing squad action, I do tend to go to where the big action is, although I will also go support places that I think are under attack, or will be significant to a battle elsewhere.

I'd plan on using waypoints effectively in a "there is an enemy sundy HERE, go shoot it with weapons" fashion.

Looking forward to being an armchair dictator.

I take it there is a way of making a Squad so Dotbadders can join in automatically? Or would I have to make it public that way.

Also what is "Enable Recruitment"'s purpose?

_ _ _

• tonyferrino 9 Jan 2013 12:25:14 178 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @andytheadequate Cheers, I think I've solved the main problem - if I have Mumble running when I boot up the game it crashes. I have to alt-tab out when I'm in-game, then I can launch mumble without any issues. Weird. I did have the controller error previously but I fixed it with a DLL. It is a buggy mess but I love it!

Edited by tonyferrino at 12:26:00 09-01-2013
  • andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 12:27:46 8,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    I can't stand the fucking crown. I've seen VS take it twice and immediately get pushed back everywhere else because everyone thinks 'HOLY SHIT WE GOT THE CROWN' and spawns there leaving nobody to actually do anything useful.
    Stupid question, but what is the crown?

Also, if anyone wants to add me as a friend on miller then my character name is andytheadequate
  • DUFFKING 9 Jan 2013 12:35:26 7,111 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    DUFFKING wrote:
    Stupid question, but what is the crown?

Also, if anyone wants to add me as a friend on miller then my character name is andytheadequate
    It's the territory right at the middle of Indar. It's at the top of a giant cliff and the only way up is a road leading right up with very little cover, or a winding path at the back also with very little cover. It's an extremely defensible base, and in time has become a place where about 50% of the total population of Indar fights over at all times for no reason other than it gets tons of certs.

Also, the layout of Indar kind of forces it to happen, because for the Vanu to advance East toward the NC warpgate they pretty much HAVE to go through Tawrich tech plant which is extremely difficult to take as there's very limited angles of attack/influence, an amp station 2 hexes away where the NC can spam armour defenses, and a mountain range seperating Vanu/NC territory. So both NC and Vanu tend to attack North whilst TR push south in general and nobody ever really achieves anything on Indar as a result and everyone fights over the crown instead.

TR have it about 70% of the time, NC 25% and Vanu very occasionally. Quite often you'll see it completely isolated from the rest of the territory the faciton owning it holds.

Edited by DUFFKING at 12:37:40 09-01-2013
  • andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 12:44:23 8,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah, I don't go on indar often but I know the base you mean.

Can someone explain how the map works? I.e. What do the different colours mean? How can you tell how many enemies and friendless are there etc? I assume red is enemy and green is friendly, and I know about the pie chart with the percentage of each faction there, but other than that I guess where the action is
  • Widge Moderator 9 Jan 2013 12:48:37 13,273 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We had it ALL last night. Wonder continent capture!

_ _ _

• DUFFKING 9 Jan 2013 12:52:15 7,111 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For the minimap:

Everything red is an enemy. Dark blues are friendlies. Green numbers are Alpha Squad, and (I think) Orange, Purple and Yellow numbers are people in Bravo, Charlie and Delta squads of your Platoon.

The pie chart shows the influence of each faction on the current hex. If there are six territories connected to the hex you're attacking, and vanu have 3 of them, TR 1 and NC 1, then it'll show 50% vanu, 1/6 TR and 1/6 NC on the pie chart. The more influence you have, the faster the capture will go once you've got people in the points. Which is why you should aim to get surrounding bases capped first when attacking Bio Labs, Tech Plants and Amp Stations.

On the big map:

Purple territory is controlled by the Vanu, Blue by the NC and Red by the TR.

You can get a quick idea for how many enemies are in an area by hovering your mouse over it and checking the box on the left of the screen. It'll say in order of least to most 'No enemies' 'Enemies detected' 'Enemy Squad detected' 'Enemy Squads Detected' 'Enemy Platoon Detected' or 'Enemy Platoons' Detected. There's also a checkbox in the bottom right to switch from territory control view to enemy activity view, which will colour areas based on enemy activity.

Flashing territories are ones that have recently had a control point change hands or are under attack.

You can usually guess where the zerg is heading by looking at the quickest way to get from main facility to another main facility. Organised outfits tend to capture surrounding bases.
  • orpheus 9 Jan 2013 13:34:59 994 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I need to get more people on my friends list to assist with Squadding. I don't mind doing squad action, I do tend to go to where the big action is, although I will also go support places that I think are under attack, or will be significant to a battle elsewhere.

I'd plan on using waypoints effectively in a "there is an enemy sundy HERE, go shoot it with weapons" fashion.

Looking forward to being an armchair dictator.

I take it there is a way of making a Squad so Dotbadders can join in automatically? Or would I have to make it public that way.

Also what is "Enable Recruitment"'s purpose?
    Sorry, should have made that clearer in my big post above. Enable recruitment opens the squad for joining, meaning it'll show in the public list. Checking outfit only or friends only will restrict joiners as appropriate, so if you tick outfit only then onlyubads will be able to join via their own squad menus in the same way you'd join a public one. Likewise if you leave those options unticked, anyone can join. Either way you have to name the squad as mentioned above or the enable recruitment button will not work.

You can't make one that ubads will auto join on login, you have to open recruitment as outfit only and then shout at them in the outfit channel or invite them manually. I usually do both as players already on and in a random squad or just soloing won't know the squad is up (direct invites fail if the player is already in a squad) unless you tell them about it in the outfit channel.

You don't need a massive friends list either - you can just go to the outfit tab in the main social menu and click 'show online only' to get a list of everyone online, though of course having them on your friends list works too.

Basic order of doing things should be:

Login. Say hi in outfit channel and ask if there's a squad up already. If not, start one with online outfit members through the outfit tab. Name squad and open recruitment to outfit only, or go public if you're feeling brave.

Outfit members get a notification when other members come online. If they don't join in a minute or two by finding it themselves, ask if they want in via the outfit channel or /tell [player].

For non SLs, it should be: login, say hi in outfit channel, check squads with 'outfit' filtering checked, join squad if one is showing. If not, ask in channel just in case another SL forgot to open recruitment. If there are outfit members online but no squad, start one as above! You can always pass SL to someone more experienced as more members come online, so even members who've never led a squad before should try starting one - it encourages people to get involved :)

Edited by orpheus at 13:48:13 09-01-2013
  • Gl3n Moderator 9 Jan 2013 13:55:47 5,325 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Infantry Starter bundle is on sale I see.

India Scrub, Sandy Scrub camos
    Nova
    Ghost
    Manticore
    Pulsar LSW
    VX6-7
    CME

2000 SC. Tempting but not entirely sure.

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• Widge Moderator 9 Jan 2013 14:40:35 13,273 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This might help me organise:

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/GAQ

_ _ _

• tonyferrino 9 Jan 2013 16:18:11 178 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure if it was wise to put that bundle on sale just after the VX6-7 was on sale. Now I've bought that and the Pulsar and Nova previously the bundle isn't such good value. Pretty good if you haven't got any of them yet.
  • orpheus 9 Jan 2013 16:49:40 994 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    This might help me organise:

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/GAQ
    That's where squad invites will go if they're not picked up within a 30 second or so period. You get a flashing 'K' indicator instead. All your actual organising will likely be done through the outfit menu :)

BTW, wasn't kidney stones - was stress-induced renal colic, which essentially feels the same. Got some stuff for it so I should be back on form in a day or two to lead UBAD to victory or death, and now Widge is discovering the joys of the SL role, you're in good hands til I do :) Cheers again for all the good wishes fellas.

Edited by orpheus at 17:49:11 09-01-2013
  • andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 21:06:22 8,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I hope it wasn't caused by the stress of leading UBAD... :D

Anyone on tonight? Does everyone join vent too?
  • Progguitarist 9 Jan 2013 21:35:47 10,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I always check vent to see how many are on.
  • andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 21:42:33 8,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Likewise, but I don't always join if it isn't many. Think I will do in future though
  • SBfistfun 9 Jan 2013 22:11:08 124 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So close to ordering my pc bits and getting this!
  • andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 22:24:36 8,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SBfistfun wrote:
    So close to ordering my pc bits and getting this!
    Good man. You'll love it
  • Page

of 63 First / Last