Planetside 2 Page 29

• Page

of 62 First / Last

• Widge Moderator 7 Jan 2013 21:13:52 12,585 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I got 6000 SC on the pre-Xmas triple cash day. My advice is to spend money on those events. Otherwise get those Certs up!

A rail grip for the engineer carbine is a great start as it means you can actually kill people. Once I had that, I gradually kitted out lower level stuff.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• DUFFKING 7 Jan 2013 22:18:54 6,487 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Carbon_Altered wrote:
    why does everyone else have more armour and better guns than me? What do I need to buy to get ahead? Been putting certs into nano armour, will that help? Or is this a real money thing (which I am happy to do)
    In terms of guns, for the most part the default guns are actually some of the best. The default carbine is an excellent all rounder, along with the default LMG and medic weapons. The only weak starting weapon is the sniper's. Pretty much every alt weapon has some kind of trade off that makes it weaker in one way.

Forward grips usually help quite a bit on vanu weapons as they're the only ones with left and right pull on recoil as opposed to a single direction.

Nano armour I only have the first 2 levels of on each class, it doesn't really make much difference. Maybe one more shot to kill from some weapons.

Edited by DUFFKING at 22:19:27 07-01-2013
  • Carbon_Altered 7 Jan 2013 22:41:05 675 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks guys

Still had a great time tonight just following the trail of destruction and dolling out ammo and repairs. Had a right little repair shop going on one landing pad with aircraft queuing up to get in, doing a bomb run, then coming back. One guy said I was like R2D2 doing the repairs, which I am taking as a compliment!!

Are there quick commands for saying things like "thanks" and "I need healing" ?
  • Rusty_M 7 Jan 2013 22:44:46 4,344 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "v" then "1" and "v" then "2" respectively.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Carbon_Altered 7 Jan 2013 22:53:29 675 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    v 1 to you then sir!
  • Carbon_Altered 7 Jan 2013 22:54:28 675 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One more question, so if I type v 1, how many people see that message in the general chat box? Just those near by?
  • orpheus 8 Jan 2013 00:26:38 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Immediate area I think, but the thanks etc in that menu are faction only. Glad you had a good one tonight!
  • Widge Moderator 8 Jan 2013 07:48:16 12,585 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also if you are requesting assistance you get a spanner/med/ammo sign above your head for friendlies.

RE: guns, I went on yesterday and checked my wares. For my engineer I got an odd setup: a gun called the Serpent, which appears to have a really tight cone of fire, and I've put a laser sight on it. I also got a mid distance rifle, almost sniper-esque, which has a 3.4x zoom on (and desperate need for a rail grip if poss)... that came in really handy for the open expanses of DAT ICE PLANET, letting me sit with the AA MAXES on a base defence and not just pin down oncoming foes but nail them too. I notched up some good kills with that. Of course one on one in tight quarters it is risky but I have alternate layouts for that.

Tempted to experiment with the imaging scopes to help with epic biolab shootouts.

Skywhotsit gun for lightning was ok, but only for support scenarios in a Zerg for me, not when out in the open on your tod. Didn't try the magrider photon effort either, another time.

AA MAX was dreamy, it was fish in a barrel day on the ice planet at one point. Also had huge LOLS when I hid under an enemy sundy and took out loads of people trying to recap a base.

_ _ _

• Widge Moderator 8 Jan 2013 09:18:11 12,585 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Vanu Serpent discussion:

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/vs-serpent.61057/

Seems suited to my style really.

Edited by Widge at 09:19:35 08-01-2013

_ _ _

• orpheus 8 Jan 2013 11:17:34 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Serpent & VX6-7 are both very good at close range, ROF chews through dudes like butter, though having tested the Serp I prefer the faster reload on my VX. Next purchase with my spare SC will probably be the Thanatos shotty for HA/Medic, as it has the UGL for smoke grenades etc, and my LMGing sucks at close range! :D

@ Carbon - like Duff said, most of the standard weapons are great with a few certs to push them more towards your personal playstyle; the medic one especially. The cert/SC weapons tend to be more specialized towards a specific role (like the VX/Serp - close range bullet hose, but pretty bad at med-long), so it's really a case of picking stuff that suits both you own style and the combat role you want to fill. Always trial weapons before buying so you can get a feel for it, and it's worth asking the outfit chaps as well before making a purchase just in case there's something similar but better at the job. If in doubt, ask one of the guys (or here) what role you want for whatever class and someone will have a recommendation.

Nano Armour is at most a few extra bullets before you go down, so while it's worth having, it's probably not worth prioritizing over more useful stuff like Prox/AT mines, better repair/medic heal guns etc.

Second Burster arm for the Max is a must have, Skyguard is, like Widge said, better only for supporting tank battalions - for static AA the Burster Max cannot be beat.

May not be on for a few days depending on what happens today, spent all of last night in a sodding doctors with crippling stomach pains that have been worsening for several days. If it turns out to be kidney stones I will be very pissed off!
  • Widge Moderator 8 Jan 2013 12:13:48 12,585 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The standard Solstice was fine. Once I got the recoil rail thing, then I could actually do some sustained fire. Also once I got the 2x holo scope on there, then that was really awesome. I like that it comes in an SC flavour (which I don't think is too many certs), which you can start attaching grenade launchers to.

Now. My magrider. Reading up about the Saron and it sounds like a very powerful gun, but not one that suits a driver who moves around a lot (which I can do). I like the idea of upgrading my main gun into Supernova anti-armour and then I can do vehicles while the gunner can do infantry.

Failing that, could get the infantry Supernova at some point and become the scourge of the ground troops. (Just doing some reading, that setup apparently is lethal).

Think it could add something to the mix if everyone is going Saron.

It also looks cool.

_ _ _

• Widge Moderator 8 Jan 2013 12:14:01 12,585 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And get better you, that sounds sucky!

_ _ _

• andytheadequate 8 Jan 2013 12:25:07 7,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The saron can't be beaten for anti armour but it's useless against infantry so probably best to have two load outs, depending on the situation
  • orpheus 8 Jan 2013 12:49:02 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers Widge - off again for a reevaluation in a bit. :(

Nearly everyone in the outfit has the Saron - it's an excellent weapon, and is a one shot kill on Inf if you land a direct hit. Damn hard to do when moving, but the upside is the fast projectile speed and no drop whatsoever means you can snipe hovering Libs out of the sky with it as well. Even got a low-flying Mossie with it once (he was not happy), lol.

Anti-armour main cannon is apparently a bit of a beast as well; I don't have it, but I can imagine having both would tear through enemy tanks like butter.
  • Gl3n Moderator 8 Jan 2013 12:51:29 5,164 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The VX6-7 is on sale today, it's mental-crazy good. Slapped the rail style 1x scope on it, quick blast to the chest and enemies crumple over immediately.

Edited by Gl3n at 13:03:24 08-01-2013

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• orpheus 8 Jan 2013 13:08:49 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:
    The VX6-7 is on sale today, it's mental-crazy good. Slapped the rail style 1x scope on it, quick blast to the chest and enemies crumple over immediately.
    Good spot, one for Carbon maybe! I have exactly the same setup and it kicks ass.

Edited by orpheus at 13:30:34 08-01-2013
  • andytheadequate 8 Jan 2013 13:20:39 7,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How much is it? I have around 350 sc left...
  • orpheus 8 Jan 2013 13:30:05 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's a 700 SC weapon, so 350 if it's 50% off like the usual daily sales.
  • andytheadequate 8 Jan 2013 13:42:33 7,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If I can afford it I will buy that. I had a rather useless amount of sc left over which I didn't know what to do with.

Can anyone confirm the price?

Edited by andytheadequate at 15:56:50 08-01-2013
  • Pompeybear 8 Jan 2013 14:44:42 454 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @orpheus Get well soon !
  • Widge Moderator 8 Jan 2013 15:42:27 12,585 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have 500 or something left over... BUT that isn't worthwhile for me now I own the Serpent.

_ _ _

• Widge Moderator 8 Jan 2013 16:19:02 12,585 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Guide on how to use the Flash by the way, just in case anyone is curious as to what to use it for.

I imagine it is really useful for little scout groups when you have the radar certs active, plus I bet having a gun on the front would make someone think twice about what is going on.

Also, I got caught by that fake attack technique last night, clever way to do things.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/the-flash-shaken-not-stirred.70507/

Edited by Widge at 16:32:18 08-01-2013

_ _ _

• Carbon_Altered 8 Jan 2013 17:13:52 675 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When you purchase guns, do you need the certs AND the SC, or just one or the other? Thanks.
  • Widge Moderator 8 Jan 2013 17:18:11 12,585 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One or the other. SC is the bypass cert grind shortcut!

_ _ _

• andytheadequate 8 Jan 2013 17:18:31 7,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just one. So it is either 700 sc OR 1000 certs
  • Carbon_Altered 8 Jan 2013 17:29:33 675 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cool. And how exactly do you earn certs? It related to xp progression, or just in game time? Or something else?
  • andytheadequate 8 Jan 2013 17:31:25 7,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Basically through experience and doing things in game. You also earn certs slowly when not online (about 2 every few hours i think)
  • Nasty 8 Jan 2013 19:12:27 4,726 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    you need to log in every day to accumalate the passive cert tick. It'll only build up so much then reach the maximim offline certs
  • Carbon_Altered 8 Jan 2013 19:32:01 675 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks again - you are all very helpful!

Through one of the links I discovered that the engineer's mounted gun can also drop ammo, so there is no real need for the ammo drop itself in the load out. So I think I could replace that with a mine (personnel v tank) or C4 (which costs twice as much certs). Any opinions gratefully received.
  • Carbon_Altered 8 Jan 2013 19:32:49 675 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    May not be on for a few days depending on what happens today, spent all of last night in a sodding doctors with crippling stomach pains that have been worsening for several days. If it turns out to be kidney stones I will be very pissed off!
    Hope everything works out ok for you and get well soon.
  • Page

of 62 First / Last