Planetside 2 Page 26

• Page

of 62 First / Last

• andytheadequate 3 Jan 2013 09:30:00 7,974 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @orpheus - too late for me unfortunately :(

Playing in front of the tv is overrated unless you have a controller. It isn't comfortable to use a keyboard and mouse on a sofa
  • Progguitarist 3 Jan 2013 11:23:31 10,317 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    It isn't your internet connection is it? I thought the game kept crashing but it was my connection that was rubbish. Also, if you have a wired controller plugged in it crashed the game.

Anyone online now for a game?
    Ah! Wired controller it is!
  • andytheadequate 3 Jan 2013 11:29:00 7,974 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    It isn't your internet connection is it? I thought the game kept crashing but it was my connection that was rubbish. Also, if you have a wired controller plugged in it crashed the game.

Anyone online now for a game?
    Ah! Wired controller it is!
    Hope it works ok now...

I can't believe they haven't fixed this issue yet, or the having to change the language bug. It gives such a poor first impression and they're fairly common. I bet loads of people give up without even giving it a go due to these bugs
  • Widge Moderator 3 Jan 2013 12:24:22 12,632 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:

Playing in front of the tv is overrated unless you have a controller. It isn't comfortable to use a keyboard and mouse on a sofa
    This is why I thought of an option. Logitech G700 gaming mouse and PS Move Navi Controller.

Enough buttons to do things with over both devices and only really need a slab to stick the mouse on. I could go down with the mapped 360 controller, but I think this could work really well.

I have set up my steam to work from TV now on, why not have the 800 graphical wonderbox on a big TV I say.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Carbon_Altered 3 Jan 2013 12:58:39 675 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    Carbon - as Andy rightly says, that tends to be everyone's first experience, so don't worry! Joining the outfit will provide you with a very well informed knowledge base to consult, and you'll be up and running in no time. Downloading ventrilo will be a big part of this; we tend to use out of game comms far more than the in game voice. Feel free to ask any questions you like in the outfit channel too, or here, if stuff occurs to you outside the game.
    I can live with a 0.2 k/d ratio if the game is fun, and so far this seems to fit the bill. I've been playing medic mainly so far for my exp, which seems the noob friendliest way of doing it. Was (accidentally) part of some kind of listening station take over this lunch time which was ace, if unexpected.

Saul has accepted me as a friend, how do I go on to join the outfit?

And any early upgrades I should look at?

Thanks again.
  • Carbon_Altered 3 Jan 2013 12:59:36 675 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    By the way, the game is running fine (touch wood) at medium settings on my new AMD A10-5800 CPU with integrated graphics. I'm most impressed.
  • Progguitarist 3 Jan 2013 13:05:00 10,317 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its an amazing game IMO and it makes other shooters seem puny. I'm still pretty lost with most things but just enjoy the scale and pew pewing things.
  • andytheadequate 3 Jan 2013 13:31:39 7,974 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I find the medic the easiest class to play. To begin with it's probably easiest to concentrate on a few classes and get used to them. Engineer is another fairly useful support class if you're struggling to get kills.

Upgrades depend on what class you are and whether you want to focus on vehicles or infantry. There are quite a few upgrades that only cost 1 cert so I'd say pick all of them up. A sight for your main gun and the attachment that reduces recoil are useful (heavy barrel?) to get started. Also consider upgrading your medic's tool thing as it makes it easier to heal people.

Edited by andytheadequate at 13:33:37 03-01-2013
  • orpheus 3 Jan 2013 13:47:49 984 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HELLO I AM WIDGE AND I ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE EDIT BUTTON INSTEAD OF QUOTE WHEN REPLYING. SORRY.

Carbon_Altered wrote:
    learning to fly is a must-have skill

:( :( :(

Anyway, for offline reference:

Infantry
    http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Class

Vehicles
    http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Vehicles

Facilities
    http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Facilities

This should help you plan your purchases in advance, and pour over what belongs to what.

Edited by Widge at 13:57:52 03-01-2013

Edited by Widge at 15:24:18 03-01-2013
  • Widge Moderator 3 Jan 2013 13:48:07 12,632 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I found Engineer the easiest as you can rack up points without necessarily being front line. Echo the sentiment about getting the rail grip for the gun for stability, and look at a 2x zoom too. Also the one about going through and looking for the 1 cert upgrades is decent too, handy if you decide to pilot a Sundy as you can supply nice weapons for your cargo to use - especially as you get points for their kills.

As an Engineer, I would hang around front line bases, repairing stuff and manning the AA guns / lower level AV guns to repel oncomers. This helps you get to grips with base layout for when you find yourself on assault.

After a while you get used to the icons: that is a weapons change/refresh point, that is a vehicle spawn, that is a (fixed or broken) shield generator/spawn generator... and things become more straightforward. Then you can start to get a bit roamy, engaging on the front line and going on the offensive.

Don't forget to check all the weapons out for the classes, you can test one out for 30 mins every 8 hours or so. Means you can have a blast with a dual AA MAX if you fancy it, or try out a different gun.

Once you find your feet, you start thinking strategically: playing with the Zerg and ensuring Heavy & MAX's have plenty of ammo, deploying as an AA max in times of intense air attacks, crafting load-outs for different scenarios, learning when to abandon a point for a battle elsewhere, keeping an eye on the various continents to see where you can focus your efforts.

Personally, I can't get to grips with air combat yet, I am terrible... then again I was nothing much more than functional in Warhawk too. Aircraft were a means to get around the map quickly.

EDIT:

my air combat performance could probably be improved with performance certs.

Edited by Widge at 13:49:07 03-01-2013

_ _ _

• orpheus 3 Jan 2013 13:51:42 984 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Widge - one of these nights I might run an 'air training' exercise if you guys think it'd be useful? We could pick a night and spend an hour or so just mucking about in Scythes etc til you feel comfortable in them, and I can recommend certs etc to ease the process.

If this would be a help, let me know and we'll pick a night for it. :)
  • Widge Moderator 3 Jan 2013 14:01:11 12,632 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    Widge - one of these nights I might run an 'air training' exercise if you guys think it'd be useful? We could pick a night and spend an hour or so just mucking about in Scythes etc til you feel comfortable in them, and I can recommend certs etc to ease the process.

Ok, I'll chip in here when I am planning on having a session... still on that past Xmas weirdness at the moment!

I am fairly ok with it, it is just managing the throttle aspect of it. I tend to dive towards the ground. I might even go to a fairly purple continent and have a play in the sky.

What do you recommend flying to start? I have been heading to the Scythe. Is it better to step into a liberator and get some crew?

_ _ _

• Widge Moderator 3 Jan 2013 14:01:52 12,632 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    Carbon_Altered wrote:
    learning to fly is a must-have skill

:( :( :(

Anyway, for offline reference:

Infantry
    http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Class

Vehicles
    http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Vehicles

Facilities
    http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Facilities

This should help you plan your purchases in advance, and pour over what belongs to what.
    OH JESUS FUCK. I edited you instead of quoting. FUCK FUCK FUCK. I am really sorry!!!

_ _ _

• Carbon_Altered 3 Jan 2013 14:18:43 675 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha! No worries.

I'm really grateful for all the help/suggestions from everyone and am looking forward to (trying to) put it into practise.
  • DUFFKING 3 Jan 2013 14:20:54 6,508 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm not sure if I want to save for my second C4 for Light Assault or max out my dogfighting Airframe on my scythe...
  • orpheus 3 Jan 2013 14:49:13 984 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    orpheus wrote:

Ok, I'll chip in here when I am planning on having a session... still on that past Xmas weirdness at the moment!

I am fairly ok with it, it is just managing the throttle aspect of it. I tend to dive towards the ground. I might even go to a fairly purple continent and have a play in the sky.

What do you recommend flying to start? I have been heading to the Scythe. Is it better to step into a liberator and get some crew?
    No rush fella, be better if we can get a few people on at the same time so I'm not repeating the lessons, as it were. Steam offer made to Carbon earlier applies equally to you and all others in the thread/outfit etc, if that makes life easier, can always hop on for a quick one-on-one training session if I'm not busy.

It's far far easier to learn in the slower aircraft. Galaxies is where it clicked for me - they're big, fat and slow and so everything you do is magnified to the extent you can see it all happening and react appropriately. I found raising the 'air vehicle sensitivity' option in the settings menu to about 85 very helpful for mouse flight so you're not dragging halfway across your mousemat to make a turn.

I find it's better to think of the aircraft not as planes, but as a shooter viewpoint with no axis/plane of reference restriction. Space bar (to go vertically up) and C key (to go down) are an essential part of maintaining control, but beyond that it's just a case of learning how they handle, then adapting to the increased sensitivity as the craft get more agile (Galaxy < Liberator < Scythe). The Scythe especially can pull of some astounding moves, but jumping into one first off usually provides the same reaction Carbon just had :D

Carbon - don't worry mate, it's easier than you think, and I'm happy to take the time to help you & the rest of the guys learn. Focus on the infantry/tanking side of things for now, we'll worry about flying later :)
  • Widge Moderator 3 Jan 2013 15:26:12 12,632 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok, I might Liberate around rather than lure 13 people to an untimely death. I didn't know C and Space did anything.

Can you literally pull to a stop and stay in mid air?

Oh my biggest bugbear? Pressing E by accident.

_ _ _

• Balboa 3 Jan 2013 15:46:16 442 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you have thumb buttons on your mouse, I highly recommend binding them to pitch up/down. It makes turning much easier.
  • andytheadequate 3 Jan 2013 16:11:32 7,974 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd be interested in pilot training. At the moment I can fly without crashing but unable to get a kill. I've only managed to damage a few ground vehicles. I was also pretty bad in BF3 at flying
  • madwlf 3 Jan 2013 16:33:42 74 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll put my hand up for some pilot training too :)
    I think the longest I've managed to stay airborne without either crashing or being shot down by another plane is about 3mins..
    After several embarrassing/frustrating crashes I decided to concentrate on some tank action but I'd love to be able to fly/stay alive for longer in the air.
  • orpheus 3 Jan 2013 16:41:06 984 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Ok, I might Liberate around rather than lure 13 people to an untimely death. I didn't know C and Space did anything.

Heh, everyone does that. :D

And yes, you can - W & S are accelerate/decelerate. The Lib & Gal will hover perfectly, the Scythe needs to be fine tuned and boosted with the spacebar to avoid losing altitude.Just hold S and keep the nose flat; remember that tilting the nose/wings in any direction will give you momentum again, the amount of which will depend on how sensitive the aircraft is.

Is there an evening/time that's good for everyone? The weekend maybe, Sunday or something?

EDIT: For anyone who wants to train solo in the meantime, only ever pull aircraft from the warpgate* on a cont you have plenty of territory on (for the resources as much as anything else). When you spawn in it, immediately hold the S key to come to a stop, then test out C and Space to get a feel for the vertical thrust levels while keeping the nose flat. Remain hovering, then tilt the wings left and right a little to see how the angle changes, then use C and Space to push either left or right at a 45-60 degree angle, nothing too steep, just to see how the v-thrust affects your sideways motion.

Then leave the warpgate towards friendly territory, gain some height. Try some loops (it's easier to pull the nose down rather than up to do these, though it's counter-intuitive at first), try moving then hovering, try coming to a stop, try using the vertical and downward thrusts to gain more speed or more angle in a particular direction as you fly. Strafe some trees or empty buildings on the ground with the nose gun at slow, then fast speeds to get the hang of aiming and leading mid-flight. Test out A & D when moving at speed to get a feel for the rudder-turns. Actual dog-fighting can wait til you're comfortable with the range of motion and applications of thrust.

Bear in mind that the Lib and Galaxy, due to the engine placement, have a sort of 'dead zone' between a stopped hover and forward/sideways thrust where the aircraft will feel unresponsive to the rudder (A & D Keys). Use T for the external view and you'll find yourself able to turn laterally with the rudder once you gain a small amount of velocity, probably around 30kph or so. Below that speed, the plane isn't sure whether to turn or hover, so assumes the latter - but you'll see the engines change position as the jet begins to respond, so it should be easy to spot. Another useful thing: holding middle mouse will give you a limited amount of cockpit free-look in all 3 aircraft.

*some shitbags in warpgates exist only to flip your plane to troll you. If this occurs, get out quick and practice close-by instead; they only ever do it in the warpgate for the most part. If they do it repeatedly, use /report and they'll get a warning/ban for griefing.

Edited by orpheus at 16:57:55 03-01-2013
  • andytheadequate 3 Jan 2013 16:56:59 7,974 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The only times I'm definitely on is between 11-12pm through the week or a bit later on a weekend (once the other half has gone to bed!). Any night is ok for me generally
  • madwlf 3 Jan 2013 17:31:31 74 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm free anytime tonight if not anytime next weekend really.
    Will give it a go solo before hand though and hopefully not loose too many ships!

Edited by madwlf at 17:31:57 03-01-2013
  • President_Weasel 3 Jan 2013 17:36:02 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Widge wrote:

That's why you should remap your bale out button to something that isn't right next to reload. I use L, for "Get the L out of the aeroplane!".
  • Carbon_Altered 3 Jan 2013 18:22:49 675 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Repairing a turret, hopping in, then blowing up a full enemy troop transport is awesome! That is all.

Getting in to this.
  • orpheus 3 Jan 2013 18:43:29 984 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Carbon_Altered wrote:
    Repairing a turret, hopping in, then blowing up a full enemy troop transport is awesome! That is all.

Getting in to this.
    Glad you're enjoying it chap. You're in the outfit now, use /outfitsay to type in the outfit channel or ctrl-tab to switch the chat to that channel manually. There's a few guys on now who'll help you out, I've got to dash but will try to get on a little later.
  • Rusty_M 3 Jan 2013 19:42:18 4,359 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had the quickest play of this this evening. Very impressive. Now I should read up on what I should be doing.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Progguitarist 3 Jan 2013 22:29:14 10,317 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone on tonight?
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 23:28:33
    Rusty_M: Had the quickest play of this this evening. Very impressive. Now I should read up on what I should be doing

I had a quick glimpse last night(after the 8GB download), and was impressed by the scale, but expected it to at least match KZ3 in the visuals department on modern PC hardware, but sadly it didn't seem like that.

Will probably watch the tutorial videos again, and try giving the gameplay a proper try, but it does seem quite a daunting game to get into given the amount you need to learn in advance.
  • overcorpse 3 Jan 2013 23:38:25 239 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not sure if your serious or just trolling.

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• Page

of 62 First / Last