Planetside 2 Page 3

• Page

of 63 First / Last

• orpheus 23 Sep 2012 16:07:25 1,000 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This post is mostly for the benefit of a chap called Dyson who, along with another random made for a fucking top notch Liberator crew last night and said he might pop by the EG forums to sign up for the group - so he'll know he's in the right place.

Dropped Alpha squad on this as I can already tell (after having one or two 'proper' games) it's going to be a blinder, so will have a spare beta key coming soon to pass along if anyone's still short.
  • Metalfish 23 Sep 2012 16:24:00 8,818 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a bit crash happy on my system, but when it all works you can tell this is like a hundred games of battlefield all going on at once.
  • orpheus 24 Sep 2012 00:59:23 1,000 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah get in a squad for the best stuff, the voice works surprisingly well considering and it makes all the difference. Had some awesome battles tonight!

Edited by orpheus at 00:59:37 24-09-2012
  • Cosquae 24 Sep 2012 09:09:39 1,214 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @orpheus Puts his hand up for the spare beta key if it's in the pipe line.
  • SClaw 24 Sep 2012 10:25:55 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well the Friday patch was a blinder… a lot of stuff broke and I’m not certain some of the things they tried worked very well (Gal re-spawn is now too expensive by far, even if it did need a tweak) but damn if it didn’t create the GREATEST TANK BATTLES EVER.

On Saturday the FPS was going crazy but I got into the middle of a three way tank fight between around twenty and thirty tanks on both sides. It was the most epic thing I ever seen (until Sunday) and it’s a pity the screenshot button bugged out.

However, it was yesterday’s NC gate zerg which really blew me away. I joined up with my squad just as they took a tower and everyone was spawning tanks… and I mean everyone. I sat parked at the side of the road in my Lightning waiting for the others for ten minutes as tanks CONSTANTLY rolled past. The mini-map was utterly blue. We got rolling forward and surrounded Rashnu.

There was one poor fucker NC trapped behind the shield as maybe a hundred and fifty TR tanks were just driving over each other around him like Indian’s circling a wagon. And then, after the longest wait the shields went down and the universe exploded with the most red-on-red kills ever as everyone tried to shoot that bastard and charge forward at the same time.

After that we steamrolled their base. I ran out of ammo and charged forward, ramming into NC tanks just outside their safe area… then I bounced off one a bit too fast and went too far into the safe zone and exploded. But it was soooo much fun.
    I expect a few vids of that will appear today. Hope I see myself!
  • MikeP 24 Sep 2012 11:03:51 1,791 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The VS weapons need some attention - an inaccurate high rate of fire is poor in the face of low RoF, high damage weapons.

The Liberator front cannon is great fun once you learn how to lead the shot. Manage to drop 5 rounds onto a tank as he charged forward after a Battle Bus. I'll draw a discrete veil over the friendly-fire incidents that may have happened earlier in the evening *whistles and wanders away...*

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• SClaw 24 Sep 2012 11:31:06 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lots of things need attention.

Libbys need a little nerf or maybe a further cost increase because they are just too good and don’t require a competent pilot so long as you understand how the gunner seat view looks. However… it may also be the case that AA weapons, particularly the lightning mount, need a cost reduction to counter this instead.

Some NC weapons seem like they’ve had a huge damage buff. They are too strong now.

The Sundy’s default guns are stupidly powerful against tanks. There’s no way a Sundy should be able to beat a Magrider one-on-one.

The Scythe needs a big control nerf. I lost count of how many times I was killed by a Scythe stopping dead in the exact place above the upwards turning circle of turrets… and the number of times I got run over by one. Run over by a plane? Ok… once is bad luck, but when it becomes a tactic something is very wrong.

Mozys needs a cooldown reduction. It’s a shit fighter anyway, so I don’t know why the cooldown is so long.

Most explosive weapons do absolutely no damage to infantry, which is especially frustrating on a tower cannon trying to take out engineers repairing your target tank – they can just stand there and milk repair XP with no fear of you.

Tower AA guns are hitting at the right damage now, I think, but they’ve become wildly inaccurate at anything but point blank range (and turn too slow to be useful at that range).

Vehicles need reversing lights. Seriously… so much weapon locking because some tool was hiding behind me. This seems to have gotten worse since the patch - a lot people were using prox chat to tell people to get out of the damn way. I think the weapon-lock thing should be based on a punish or forgive sort of system from the person you killed, and lock needs to display a timer on screen rather than being all mysterious.

Not that – importantly – any of that stuff really hurts the game. The best thing about PS2 is that because it’s so big you often don’t notice bugs unless you specifically look for them.
  • SClaw 24 Sep 2012 13:59:53 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You ladyboys did seem a lot more competitive over the weekend, but I agree you still need a little work. In my opinion you need a massive recoil reduction - that seems to suit the Vanu kind of fighting.

On another note... spawnroom camping.

Pain Field please.
  • SClaw 24 Sep 2012 14:38:25 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My only other gripe is the new jump pads to access bio stations. Do not want. I have no issue with those being Gal/beacon assault only sort of places, as I think that encourages diverse gameplay and makes those lightning raids worth investing a million points into certing gal spawn.

On the other hand... they changed a lot during the patch, didn't they? It's like a proper beta!
  • orpheus 24 Sep 2012 15:26:19 1,000 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cosquae wrote:
    @orpheus Puts his hand up for the spare beta key if it's in the pipe line.
    All yours chap when it comes.

Having spent quite a bit of time in the Lib, I think it's quite well balanced as it is. It's so vulnerable to fast aircraft it's untrue. The only way to dodge at the moment is to have a good rear-gunner and remembering to point the nose down so he can actually hit the sod that's chasing you, and if one comes in high above you you are boned. Libs are also quite easy to hit with heavy AA turrets on most of the big installations, get close to the Crown or any other heavily turreted base and you're going down.

It'll be a different story once people start to unlock the infantry and tank-based AA. I'm planning to swap out the rear Lib turret for an AA gun, but with enough fast air support I'd be very tempted to swap the rear gun to the Mortar for anti-infantry work. Being a good Lib pilot often seems to preclude using the main front gun as well - it's usually better to take a wide sweeping angle and tilt your wings so your bomb-gunner can get a better shot. Only downside to being a pilot is the lack of certs - you don't get them for 'just' flying, you need gunners who can actually hit stuff to get any points out of it.

The Vanu sniper rifle is fucking terribad though (and the NC one a bit OP, from the number of single-shot kills I've been on the receiving end of). Like Mike says, better damage and lower ROF will beat high ROF low damage every time in a game like this, so most NC guns seem OP - but I did play a Terran a little prior to the wipe and found their mid-range accuracy to be a lot better than the Vanu as well. Reflex or 2x Reflex helps a ton but the basic issue is too high spread on Vanu weapons over about 20m, even after the buff.

No 7fps tank battles of fail though, in fact since the wipe I've had better performance than I had before - only dropping below 50 in big fights. High everything except shadows at Medium, no SSAO or motion blur. Last patch I had to drop the render to 90 or so to avoid screen tear but now running @ render 100 with no troubles.
  • Lovemoose 24 Sep 2012 16:27:04 999 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I went Vanu post-wipe, and while I like the scythe, I'm underwhelmed by the magrider. Worth a look though. Where did you lot all end up?

twitter: @chockey

• binky Moderator 24 Sep 2012 16:49:01 9,544 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wonder if this would run on a boot-camped quadcore i5 iMac?
    I'm guessing not, but would love to play this after being a bit of a vet in the old game.

No PC these days though. Boo!
  • MikeP 24 Sep 2012 17:08:46 1,791 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lovemoose wrote:
    I went Vanu post-wipe, and while I like the scythe, I'm underwhelmed by the magrider. Worth a look though. Where did you lot all end up?
    Quite a few of us are hanging with the PC Cool Kids from Rock Paper Shotgun. When I say cool, I mean idiots. Obv.

We're playing as VS on Herse mostly. Drop one of us a line with your Steam ID and we can invite you into the group.

• MikeP 24 Sep 2012 17:11:17 1,791 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, I am getting a steady 35-40 FPS most of the time with my Q6600 o/c to 3.0GHz, 8 gig of DDR2 RAM, and a 1gig 6850 running stock.

That's with most stuff turned to High except shadows and lighting effects.

What sort of impact does the render quality thingy have? That's just been set at 100 for me, never changed it.

• MikeP 24 Sep 2012 17:22:03 1,791 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GamesWizzard wrote:
    Yeah performance is weird. Pre-patch mine was great but post-patch I ended up turning a bunch of shit down and it's still pretty bad.

Anyway, gonna hit up my credit card I think and get me an i5 3570k plus mobo and ram for this, then look at getting a new GPU early next year.
    Someone is putting this down to the default render distance being massive in the new patch. Some commentary here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjTy02LIC1s

Might be worth backing up the file he mentions before fiddling...

• MikeP 24 Sep 2012 17:52:15 1,791 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Having done a few more mins of looking about, there's an extensive thread on game performance in the official forums. You'll need to sign up to see it.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/tweak-guide-v0-1.17230/

Edited by MikeP at 18:34:11 24-09-2012

• DFawkes 25 Sep 2012 15:57:41 22,739 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This game wasn't on my radar at all, but curiosity lead me to read this thread and it sounds epic! Especially the stories of large scale battles, loads of tanks and troops sweeping forwards and destroying all in their path.

Is there some sort of clan support to find EGers? Friends lists? I realise it's a proper beta so it'll still have its rough patches, it's just that little things like that don't come up in previews. Of course there's probably an NDA, and BinaryBob isn't in the beta so he's no use here ;)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• SClaw 25 Sep 2012 16:04:02 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Clan (Outfit) support sucks balls at the moment (invite button but no join existing button for groups? Hmm...). You'll also find that putting an EG group together will be tough - anyone who played PS1 is probably fanatically loyal to their faction for some reason (TR for the win! Why? Don't know...). NDA has been down for a while now, so YouTube is full of hot vids.
  • DFawkes 25 Sep 2012 16:08:07 22,739 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a look on YouTube, but couldn't find a good channel fo my preferred style of video - I just want to watch someone playing, preferably with no commentary but I could live with one. Do you know of any good channels SClaw?

• orpheus 25 Sep 2012 18:56:30 1,000 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    This game wasn't on my radar at all, but curiosity lead me to read this thread and it sounds epic! Especially the stories of large scale battles, loads of tanks and troops sweeping forwards and destroying all in their path.

Is there some sort of clan support to find EGers? Friends lists? I realise it's a proper beta so it'll still have its rough patches, it's just that little things like that don't come up in previews. Of course there's probably an NDA, and BinaryBob isn't in the beta so he's no use here ;)
    Like Sclaw says Outfit support is a bit wonky atm, but the friends list works just fine. Most of us are on Herse (EU) playing Vanu if you want in, send a friend req to Saul if you have beta access.
  • DFawkes 25 Sep 2012 21:47:05 22,739 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers, I wasn't sure about what servers there were or anything like that. I'd probably best buy a mic too I suppose :)

One more thing I have to ask - how big is the install? I have limited space just now, otherwise I'd have probably just went for that Alpha Thingymabob.

• SClaw 26 Sep 2012 08:36:41 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I had a look on YouTube, but couldn't find a good channel fo my preferred style of video - I just want to watch someone playing, preferably with no commentary but I could live with one. Do you know of any good channels SClaw?
    No. Oddly either you have commentary or nasty tinny music on most PS2 vids... I have no idea why. Plenty up there to look at though.

I haven't had the sound on this one, so no idea which it is, but I'm on the corner of it at the end (ScarletClaw)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTm38mSWjJ4

Again, not listened to the sounds but this is good fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hds0xjPWh3Q
  • Dirtbox 26 Sep 2012 08:44:52 77,630 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• DFawkes 26 Sep 2012 11:43:01 22,739 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for sharing those, that's exactly the type of thing I was after. One thing they really did was eliminate my concern that it might all be too much serious business for me - I think Tank Stacking made it clear that's not always the case.

I was also a little concerned infantry weren't much use, but that video Dirtbox shared showed plenty of useful infantry play. It really does feel like there's a real push and pull to this major war.

So seconds ago I joined Alpha Squad. It's really not a bad offer - £30 worth of points that I can use for some other games I play too, plus some extra stuff for PS2 later on. Worst case scenario is I have plenty of points for my other games :)

• MikeP 26 Sep 2012 11:53:39 1,791 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great video, they look like they're having the Best Time.

"Is friendly fire on?"
    "Ow!"

• Page

of 63 First / Last