Planetside 2 Page 18

• Page

of 62 First / Last

• andytheadequate 3 Dec 2012 20:48:31 7,954 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My main problem with the game is hearing of all the epic fights but whenever I play I always seem to spawn miles away from the action...
  • orpheus 3 Dec 2012 20:52:25 984 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    My main problem with the game is hearing of all the epic fights but whenever I play I always seem to spawn miles away from the action...
    If you're in a squad, hit Insert to spawn on your squad leader. If he's remotely competent he'll be in a fight already, or on the way to one. Alternatively, spawn at Sunderers. These are deployed at fights as additional spawn points and so are usually near the action (available Sundies will show up in the deploy list). Flashing hexes are locations being contested - look for the ownership bar increasing or decreasing, which means someone is capturing it - so a Sunderer at a flashing Tech Plant (for example) almost always means a fight is going on.

Failing that, grab an ESF (the Scythe) and fly around the map. When you see the Vanu zerg (usually at the flashing hexes, on en route to one), fly around until you get killed, then spawn at the contested area and join the ground troops.

Edited by orpheus at 20:53:19 03-12-2012
  • DUFFKING 3 Dec 2012 21:09:58 6,489 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    DUFFKING wrote:
    Ok,do you get more points to spend the higher the level or is it just a slow rate throughout the game?

Also does each server run only one environment?
    Each server consists of three distinct continents, with a max of (I believe) 2000 players per server at any one time. Continents themselves have multiple environments, from the overarching (Esamir is the ice continent), to the regional (Indar is tundra/desert/ravines), to the specific (Tech Plants have a different layout, and thus a different combat flow, to Biolabs, which are in turn different to smaller, less defensible outposts).

Cert acquisition is a static rate: 250xp = 1 Cert (I think; it could be 500, if so someone will correct me). That rate can be increased by XP boosts bought with real money, or by simply playing better - the better you become at the game, the faster you will earn xp, and thus certs. Some of it is knowing what to do and when, the rest is situational.

EDIT: There is also a slow passive cert gain, though I couldn't tell you exactly how much. Say 10-15 certs a day, whether you play or not, at a guess.
    So how do I move to a different continent? Can I?
  • Nasty 3 Dec 2012 21:22:51 4,726 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At the warpgate there's a console to switch continents. Also you can switch between continents if the deploy timer is up. Just click on the mini map silhouettes in the top left when you're viewing the map.

This game really is cum in your pants good.

It actually plays like the cinematic they released :)
  • orpheus 3 Dec 2012 22:06:26 984 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nasty is right - you can use the consoles at the rear of each warpgate spawn room (marked with a globe icon), and if you have an available deploy option (found on the map, marked in green text), you can use it to drop-pod spawn at any of the highlighted locations. Clicking the 'hotspots' in the bottom left will show you each active deploy hotspot, and the map will shift to display the correct continent when appropriate, or you can use the three continent icons at the top left of the map to the same effect.

If a continent is full, you will be asked if you would like to join the queue - if you select yes, a timer will count down, and when there's room, you'll receive a notification that will ask you if you want to warp to the new continent. The notifications are easy to miss in the heat of battle, but can be displayed (like all other notifications; friend requests etc) with the 'K' key.
  • Gl3n Moderator 3 Dec 2012 22:36:01 5,168 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tried to message you guys, but sadly no luck. Character name is 'Corgale'

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• orpheus 3 Dec 2012 23:03:15 984 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:
    Tried to message you guys, but sadly no luck. Character name is 'Corgale'
    Yeah, messages don't work if a character is offline, and I've been working all night; presumably Wall and Eben aren't on either. Friend requests do work though, so in the Social menu, go to friends, and then 'add friend' at the bottom. Add 'Saul' and I'll pick it up later tonight or tomorrow, and the next time we're both online I'll send you an outfit invite etc.

Vent details & steam group are in the thread a page or two back (and in the outfit message of the day if you can't find them), along with Wall's must-use guide for Vent normalisation. If you don't have Ventrilo, google & download it (for free) in advance so you're all set up next time you play. :)
  • Gl3n Moderator 3 Dec 2012 23:19:20 5,168 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers mate!

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• Progguitarist 3 Dec 2012 23:20:25 10,316 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not long now until I can join you all :D
  • Widge Moderator 4 Dec 2012 08:00:40 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Esamir japes with outfit members last night, 109 cert points that I am amassing until I can figure a use for them. Might start doing weapon trials in my next few games (half an hour use of a weapon every 7/8 hours).

With such a wealth of team around me, found a niche as a Max Burst person. The constant AA fire gives enemies a little bit to panic about, and they don't seem to have a clue where it comes from. Tempted by a dual arm variant of that.

Don't tend to use the Heavy too much, I believe his rockets can be made into a lock on variant, so worth investigating.

Oh tip for all new people, go to your vehicle Certs and spend 1 point getting the optical zoom and equip it. Alway nice getting in a sundy You can zoom in.

Vehicle/weapons packs? I didn't see these in the store, where be they?

Also do I have to do some setup to buy? I have station cash but it wanted a zip code off me.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• DUFFKING 4 Dec 2012 10:35:09 6,489 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Last question, about spawning. I assume I can only spawn at the locations listed on the right of the deploy screen?

And I assume these are based on where I chose to drop originally?

When a base is secured how do I tell where to head next?
  • Widge Moderator 4 Dec 2012 10:46:29 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, any Sunderer is available, the warpgate, the adjacent locations to where you died. Those are your spawn choices.

Once spawned, you can go to the map menu and deploy to hotspots on any continent.

Where to head next? Big green marker is a squad objective (set by the leader) and a gold one is an outfit one. You can set your own blue one if you fancy.

_ _ _

• SClaw 4 Dec 2012 11:10:48 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    With such a wealth of team around me, found a niche as a Max Burst person. The constant AA fire gives enemies a little bit to panic about, and they don't seem to have a clue where it comes from. Tempted by a dual arm variant of that.
    Twin burster MAX is a GOD. At AA anyway. The amount of damage you do it absolutely insane and once you get your eye in for the range/drop you can carve anything apart in the sky. Drop yourself some flak armour on your suit slot and you're pretty much immune to their return fire as well.

Last night I was with a platoon which grabbed Ti Alloy while others were assaulting The Crown. When the assault failed Barney was just coming in from everywhere. If you've ever defended Alloy, you'll know how tough it is both to hold and take - real meatgrinder of open ground. Initially I was healing MAXs for cheap points, but we were getting hosed (there were eight libs in the air at one point) so I switched to Bursters and made about 40 certs just knocking planes out of the sky.

At first I was by the front wall, hitting fighters and libs while they were repairing or leaving from Crown and that other base to the south. When too many tanks rolled up I retreated to the rear of the spawn, on the boxes by the cliff, and just punched so many fighter-jocks faces it's untrue. I actually whooped at one point, when this one guy just kept coming back to try and hit me. Pilots are so arrogant.

When the base was getting overrun I - somewhat impressing myself - shot down three light assaults as they jumped up the cliff. Then I died.

It was a good night.
  • Jetset_UK 4 Dec 2012 19:59:09 3,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Back from a nice week away. Just to catch up, do I have to join the vent server before asking for an invite? Seems there a few outfit members on?
  • speed182 4 Dec 2012 20:28:14 895 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll be on later, just started playing so wouldn't mind an invite to the outfit.

Name is Speeedy.

PSN ID: DJSpeed14
    Follow me on Twitter: Speeedy14

• Widge Moderator 5 Dec 2012 00:20:42 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is it me or are the TR rather prevalent everywhere?

_ _ _

• Widge Moderator 6 Dec 2012 09:09:44 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Frankly awesome times last night eventually. Had a middling time on the foresty place, almost a continent lockout with the NC managing to counter us and push us right back to the warpgate. Ended up pushing with a minor zerg back to a biolab but was feeling like a loose appendage so hopped to the icy place.

STUNNING. It was the place where you got one of those A/B/C capture point towers, tank hanger on the bottom, 4 x air pads on the top, not a huge affair, stretches up a hill to its C cap point and then pushes across a huge bridge to a Tech lab.

I came in as a push was going towards the Tech Lab, managed to position a key sunderer that wasn't on the front line (so didn't get caned by aircraft and tanks) and ended up being a wonderful fallback as the opposition pushed back to the original starting point. I was having a happy time diverting aircraft away from attention but died when trying to help the front line. Eventually the enemy get us pinned back in the base. C point captured, B point captured, a bunch of us firing artillery from the lower cannons eventually driven from our positions. Then it kicked off. Ground troops fighting back, tanks spawning and gathering behind the installation stopping the push.

Eventually I managed to get my Cannon & Infantry MAX on the left flank where I was just whomping the opposition repeatedly without challenge. Pushed forwards to the B and re-took it, whomping opposition at the C, pushed forwards and re-took it, and eventually got back to the big push on the bridge again.

Then I jumped off by accident and died.

Up to 200 certs now. Saving for *something* I'm sure.

Was anyone else in on this? Around midnight?

_ _ _

• MikeP 6 Dec 2012 10:33:16 1,675 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Widge, what's your character name ingame?
  • Widge Moderator 6 Dec 2012 11:00:11 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fourfourfun

_ _ _

• SClaw 6 Dec 2012 11:06:00 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Made a ton of certs last night but I was with the most annoying platoon.

Assaulting a bio lab with a lot of people, but they just weren’t pushing that hard so it was taking forever to breach the damn thing. So plan A of our glorious leader… everyone grab a MAX or engi and we’ll do a mass attack. Great! Ten minute later… about three MAX… another ten minutes and we have six (meanwhile, all the bases around the lab are getting capped) then a Scythe flies over, rocket kills everyone not in a MAX… so I just decide to lead the way. In we go. Dead dead dead.

“We need more MAXs!” No… no. You just need to be less shit.

I leave the swarm, head over to one of the retaken surrounding bases and cap it back by myself. This brings the teleporter into play at last. I gather up a squad in MAXs (I had no problem getting twelve people together) and in we go, cutting our way through and capping a point while taking out the shield. Great. A little more force and we can take out the spawner. All the while the platoon leader is on voice “Guys, we got west base. Everyone get a MAX and we’ll rush the teleporter” Me “Most of us are already inside” Him “Yeah go back outside and wait until we are all there” “FUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFU”. No.

Anyway we didn’t take it. But I did earn 50 certs from almost nothing but kills. It was wall to wall. I also used my bitchin’ HA chaingun for the first time and it was super fun.
  • Widge Moderator 6 Dec 2012 11:55:33 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    "then a Scythe flies over, rocket kills everyone not in a MAX"
    I think I saw this pop up in the text chat!

_ _ _

• Pompeybear 6 Dec 2012 19:05:38 454 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Pompeybear 6 Dec 2012 19:06:29 454 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Could someone send me an outfit invite please. pompeybear. Ta. have joined the vent channel.
  • Widge Moderator 6 Dec 2012 20:43:49 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Q: has Andytheadequate found a fight yet?

_ _ _

• andytheadequate 6 Dec 2012 20:58:10 7,954 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm not able to play this properly when using wireless. My home plugs have arrived today so will be able to get properly stuck into it. I know i will love it, just a matter of learning the game
  • Widge Moderator 6 Dec 2012 21:23:23 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ohhhhh I want homeplugs

_ _ _

• Widge Moderator 6 Dec 2012 21:27:22 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New weapons in the Marketplace according to the Planetside G+.

Edited by Widge at 21:27:45 06-12-2012

_ _ _

• DUFFKING 6 Dec 2012 23:27:09 6,489 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Joined an Outfit. Good stuff. Double XP from tomorrow too.
  • andytheadequate 6 Dec 2012 23:41:12 7,954 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone online at the moment? Just joining now...

The game finally clicked for me tonight. Was playing by myself but managed to have a lot of fun in a failed attempt at an assault. I've learnt how to revive people and managed to get a decent amount of kills so wasn't utterly useless either

Edited by andytheadequate at 01:09:19 07-12-2012
  • Widge Moderator 7 Dec 2012 01:26:55 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm sure you were sat in my sunderer at one point and nailed a few people.

_ _ _

• Page

of 62 First / Last