Planetside 2 Page 17

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• orpheus 1 Dec 2012 02:01:30 1,003 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    If I just want to piss about, I don't join a squad. I do hope that's okay - sometimes I just want to run about and generally be a massive liability to everyone ;) I do try and join properly when I can, but I tend to play in the living room (better heating than my room) where people are trying to watch TV, making Vent impractical.

Not that I don't still join sometimes, just being able to listen works 90% of the time anyway. I just thought I;d best explain why I don't always squad up :)
    That's perfectly fine, yep! It's hard, text always sounds harsher than a conversation which is why a good 80% of my posts make me look like an arsehole, but I don't expect miracles - just coordination and some common sense. :D

When you want to run about and do your own thing, that's cool - like you say, just don't join the outfit's main active squad. Otherwise it confuses the SL, and our job is hard enough as it is without making it worse! ;) If you do join the main outfit squad, then you should be in vent with everyone else, or you miss out on too much to keep up with the group properly, or get bored because it feels like we're not accomplishing anything, even if we are and you just don't know it yet. Remember an SL is in touch with all other faction SLs and there might be reinforcements on the way, or a sudden need to redeploy elsewhere etc. There's often more going on than you realise as a grunt on the ground, and you need to be in voice to know about it. :)
  • DFawkes 1 Dec 2012 02:08:52 23,047 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's so awesome when it goes right too. When new people are coming online, and you've got a couple of squads roaming about, then in one sweeping move everyone coalesces into a ball of pure awesome and steamroll through enemy territory, you all get to feel like kings!

People deploying from orbit, others raining from the sky in their aircraft and a convoy rolling in all focused on one thing. That's what I really love about PS2 :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• andytheadequate 1 Dec 2012 02:42:32 8,219 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Generally I seem to find the spawn points the furthest away from the action possible. I seem to be playing this like a 6 v 6 COD match but on a map the size of a small country...

I might avoid joining the EG squad until I've figured the game out a bit more. Was an utter liability when I joined the other night, even though I was in voice chat it was like listening to another language. Is there a good wiki somewhere?

Edited by andytheadequate at 02:47:36 01-12-2012
  • madwlf 1 Dec 2012 07:52:54 74 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hope to be on most of tomorrow. Have installed vent but but my crappy mic I bought for Eve does not seem to like Windows 8.. Will give it another go tomorrow though.
  • orpheus 1 Dec 2012 13:20:23 1,003 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    madwlf wrote:
    Hope to be on most of tomorrow. Have installed vent but but my crappy mic I bought for Eve does not seem to like Windows 8.. Will give it another go tomorrow though.
    Check out the vent normalization guide wall posted a page or so back, might help maybe? :)
  • Errol 1 Dec 2012 13:30:05 12,485 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wonderful, wonderful game. Just rolled through Esamir on Woodman as Vanu. Vanu took the continent.
  • madwlf 1 Dec 2012 22:34:39 74 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    madwlf wrote:
    Check out the vent normalization guide wall posted a page or so back, might help maybe? :)
    Mic issues are fixed so will be on most of tomorrow off and on.
  • MikeP 1 Dec 2012 22:52:05 1,883 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've spent some of my Alpha Squad cash on the lock-on ground to air rocket launcher. Was never going to grind the certs for that, but anything to chase off air vehicles has to be a good thing.

Also going to get the shield breaker mod for the Sunderer once I have enough certs so we can engage in behind the lines BLOPS action.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Khanivor 1 Dec 2012 23:13:07 40,850 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finally let me reset my password so now I'm installing. Sounds like fun.
  • DFawkes 1 Dec 2012 23:15:19 23,047 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bought that Vehicle Pack that has a few guns for almost every vehicle. I only wanted 3 of them but the costs individually weren't far from the pack price. I do especially love the tank blasting Zephyr for the Lib.

That anti-air launcher is a great one though. When trialling it, I never made any kills, but I got plenty of assists. It feels great watching those missiles fly :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• munki83 1 Dec 2012 23:53:16 1,436 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm so lost in this at the moment :( Bought a weapons pack that seemed to unlock nothing and I always seem to run around the place like a headless chicken...Think my brain has had enough for tonigh
  • DFawkes 2 Dec 2012 00:59:58 23,047 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's still an issue where you sometimes have to log out then in again to have a purchase unlock properly.

• Widge Moderator 2 Dec 2012 12:34:40 13,675 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, I need to see these packs, I've not stumbled across them in the game.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• DamoVotf 2 Dec 2012 21:36:45 547 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I cant seem to transfer continents, I click deploy on another continent it counts down then does nothing. Quite annoying.

I joined vent but how do I find you guys for a group to kill some stuff?
  • munki83 2 Dec 2012 21:42:25 1,436 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a bit more luck today. My k/d ratio is best not talked about lol
  • Benno 2 Dec 2012 22:02:12 9,932 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there some specific faction I need to join to be with the EG peeps?
  • MikeP 2 Dec 2012 22:43:51 1,883 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We're playing as Vanu on the Miller server. When I say we, I mean a motley assortment of fine folks from EG, Rock Paper Shotgun and Failheap Challenge.

Are you Benno in game? We can sort out an invite if you'd like.

• munki83 2 Dec 2012 22:45:45 1,436 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need an invite its either munki83 or munki1983
  • SClaw 3 Dec 2012 11:04:55 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Word to the wise; there seems to be a bug with the Nighthawk shotgun (only one I have, might be all of them) on the engi. When you try to heal a MAX it's sometimes suddenly flips to the shotgun and hoses the poor bastard.
  • magicpanda 3 Dec 2012 13:33:22 13,370 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Word to the wise; there seems to be a bug with the Nighthawk shotgun (only one I have, might be all of them) on the engi. When you try to heal a MAX it's sometimes suddenly flips to the shotgun and hoses the poor bastard.
    That happens to me with the standard Engi gun. Killed more than one Friendly Max that way :D
  • SClaw 3 Dec 2012 14:01:44 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Never noticed that problem with any other main gun out! I guess it's just because of the batshit crazy rate of fire on that shotgun that I started too then. Especially since the nighthawk can strip a bar and half from a max in one clip... not good!
  • Gl3n Moderator 3 Dec 2012 14:13:58 5,664 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So there's an outfit going?
  • Pompeybear 3 Dec 2012 15:52:12 454 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems to be a few eve players in here o/ May download this tonight and give it a run.
  • MikeP 3 Dec 2012 16:03:44 1,883 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Outfit on Miller server is called DOTBAD, playing as Vanu. Hit up Saul, Eben, Wallander in game for an invite.

• Duffking 3 Dec 2012 19:12:21 7,269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok,do you get more points to spend the higher the level or is it just a slow rate throughout the game?

Also does each server run only one environment?
  • orpheus 3 Dec 2012 19:43:30 1,003 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    Ok,do you get more points to spend the higher the level or is it just a slow rate throughout the game?

Also does each server run only one environment?
    Each server consists of three distinct continents, with a max of (I believe) 2000 players per server at any one time. Continents themselves have multiple environments, from the overarching (Esamir is the ice continent), to the regional (Indar is tundra/desert/ravines), to the specific (Tech Plants have a different layout, and thus a different combat flow, to Biolabs, which are in turn different to smaller, less defensible outposts).

Cert acquisition is a static rate: 250xp = 1 Cert (I think; it could be 500, if so someone will correct me). That rate can be increased by XP boosts bought with real money, or by simply playing better - the better you become at the game, the faster you will earn xp, and thus certs. Some of it is knowing what to do and when, the rest is situational.

EDIT: There is also a slow passive cert gain, though I couldn't tell you exactly how much. Say 10-15 certs a day, whether you play or not, at a guess.

Edited by orpheus at 19:44:22 03-12-2012
  • Widge Moderator 3 Dec 2012 20:11:22 13,675 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vent - does this work out through speakers without me needing a mic then? So I can at least hear what is going on?

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• orpheus 3 Dec 2012 20:32:43 1,003 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Vent - does this work out through speakers without me needing a mic then? So I can at least hear what is going on?
    Yes, it's no different to any other voice program in that respect - a couple of people do that and just respond in text chat when necessary.

Once again though, participating fully is preferred. It's fine for the times it's impossible to talk, but coordination and communication on a moment to moment basis are critical. If you can have the game running, it should also be possible (in the majority of cases) to be in vent, with a mic - even if it's just a desktop one. Still, if you really can't for whatever reason, listening is better than not being in vent at all. ;)
  • andytheadequate 3 Dec 2012 20:37:48 8,219 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have mic, went through all the config for vent so I will be heard, and have my home plugs arriving tomorrow so I don't lose connection, but I still need someone to show me the ropes (or at least a good wiki). Do you mind having useless idiots in the squad?
  • orpheus 3 Dec 2012 20:39:08 1,003 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I have mic, went through all the config for vent so I will be heard, and have my home plugs arriving tomorrow so I don't lose connection, but I still need someone to show me the ropes (or at least a good wiki). Do you mind having useless idiots in the squad?
    Haha no mate, that's absolutely fine :D Playing with a good squad is the fastest way to learn how it all works, so pipe up with any questions you may have any time you need. :)
  • Page

of 64 First / Last