Planetside 2 Page 16

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• magicpanda 29 Nov 2012 11:41:01 13,366 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good advice, I started on Nanoweave for my Engi but might just keep my meagre certs to upgrade the Scythe. Having so much fun with that little beast. Shot down a lone (stupid) galaxy last night, was a truly beautiful sight watching it plummet to earth and explode.

Edited by magicpanda at 11:41:34 29-11-2012
  • madwlf 29 Nov 2012 13:44:32 74 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will be tonight for first time since Sunday.
    Picked a Heavy Assault but I'm starting to think it was the wrong class for me. Will hopefully hookup with everyone later though :D
  • madwlf 29 Nov 2012 21:57:18 74 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got fed up being killed all the time and feeling like I was firing BBs at the enemy so decided to try Light Assault for a laugh.
    I love it! Zooming up high and taking out enemies one by one. Scored more in the two hours tonight than I ever did as a heavy assault.
  • DFawkes 29 Nov 2012 23:04:05 22,978 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They seem to get less use, so as a result they ALWAYS get me, because I'm an idiot. I'm never ready for when they jet up, firing a hail of bullets down on my head as I struggle with the simple concept of looking up :p

I only just discovered the Weapon Trials. It's a handy way of giving something a go without the fear of wasting cash. Tried out a gun for the Flash and bought that (was on sale), then later (8 hours seems to be the cooldown between trials) dried the anti-air launcher. I do love that gun, yet I'm still waiting for it to be on sale.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• MightyMouse 29 Nov 2012 23:54:13 1,133 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    Good advice, I started on Nanoweave for my Engi but might just keep my meagre certs to upgrade the Scythe. Having so much fun with that little beast. Shot down a lone (stupid) galaxy last night, was a truly beautiful sight watching it plummet to earth and explode.
    The air-superiority vehicles are easily the most powerful things in the game. They don't have any real counters and can slaughter infantry, tanks and any fliers. If you're soloing then you get by far the most kills and are most effective using them. In comparison, tanks rely on decent air support and infantry rely on everyone.
  • andytheadequate 30 Nov 2012 00:50:55 8,181 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not only have I no idea what to do, I'm also encountering a million bugs. All I seemed to do was stand around empty bases
  • TheRealBadabing 30 Nov 2012 01:40:11 1,314 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MightyMouse wrote:
    The air-superiority vehicles are easily the most powerful things in the game. They don't have any real counters and can slaughter infantry, tanks and any fliers. If you're soloing then you get by far the most kills and are most effective using them. In comparison, tanks rely on decent air support and infantry rely on everyone.
    It's getting ridiculous at the moment. An ESF can hover and kill a stationary base AA turret without any worries about safety. Even if the turret gunner is ready for the attack, the outcome is the same. Forget about mobile stuff like MAXs, Skyguards etc., this is a big issue and needs fixing. If they buff player-spawned AA then it could become unbalanced but base defences should be much more effective.

Unfortunately everyone seems to know this now and we are seeing more and more rocket spam.

Attacking a base should include a phase where the defensive emplacements are removed before air can do its thing. As it is the AA turrets might as well not even be there.
  • fragglerocks 30 Nov 2012 03:36:58 302 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This game is seriously nuts! My first time playing tonight, died 40 times, got 2 assists and 0 kills. I suck!
  • madwlf 30 Nov 2012 08:22:00 74 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't know about the weapon trial thing. I can afford a new weapon but didn't have a clue what to go for.
    Will give this another go tonight!
  • SClaw 30 Nov 2012 09:12:19 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had some low-key fun last night.

Amerish was pretty much captured by TR and a lot of Barney and Smurf territory was disconnected. I was watching TV while just tagging along with the rear-line capture force, not really fight but repairing turrets and such. After clearing out Smurf in the west, I headed east to Heyoka Tech Plant which was in Barney hands up cut-off. It captured as I arrived – free certs! – and I started repairing stuff.

About fifteen minutes later Barney has pushed back and a crap load of tanks roll in. However myself and five or six other guys were still there just tooling around there still, so as the tech planet was easily captured we waged a guerrilla war on the overwhelming Barney force, who were bizarrely insistent on never leaving their tanks. We kept the northern point locked down – capping, running away, recapping – and because there is a vehicle spawn there I kept popping out tanks and knocking out a couple of theirs before dying (although, I kept repairing the shield at the north gate and running away through it to fix my tank while they stupidly drove around in circles behind it).

I had a great fight with a infiltrator. I was in a lightning and he ran up into a tower, mocking my by ducking around the pillars. Well screw you Barney - IMMA COMIN’ IN. You better believe I got that tank up onto the second floor somehow, although the guy ran away (I actually forgot about him because I was having fun driving my tank indoors).

Racked up a load of killed and captures with that, then got more points when the TR zerg returned for the full recap.

I also bought the Nighthawk shotgun which was on offer yesterday. It’s super wicked and does massive damage. I highly recommend it.
  • magicpanda 30 Nov 2012 09:33:29 13,366 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My Word. I'm saving my certs for this

Edited by magicpanda at 09:42:47 30-11-2012
  • Scurrminator 30 Nov 2012 09:48:42 8,412 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    what the heck is that!? is that in game?
    IT'S AWESOME!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• magicpanda 30 Nov 2012 09:55:52 13,366 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not in the game yet. It's on the way though apparently.
  • SClaw 30 Nov 2012 11:27:59 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :o

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/29/soe-teases-gargantuan-fleet-carriers-for-planetside-2/

Holy crap that looks cool.

This is an interesting read: http://john-smedley.livejournal.com/2412.html
  • magicpanda 30 Nov 2012 11:48:29 13,366 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    This is an interesting read: http://john-smedley.livejournal.com/2412.html
    That is an interesting read.

I think there is something wrong with me, I got far too excited by..

1) Player Owned bases - we plan on releasing continents that are empty or partially empty where players can build their own bases. These are open world bases so others will be able to attack them. We're also planning on having these continents heavily resource based with new resource types that will be very rare..and lots of cool new stuff that can be built out of these new resources.

2) Harvestable resources - imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.

3) Water between continents - seamlessly - this is really hard tech, but our goal is to make the whole planet seamless and allow water based vehicles.

4) Lots more vehicles and weapons - just what it sounds like. Many of these will take very rare resources to make.

5) NPC enemies - I don't want to call this PVE. That's not exactly what we have in mind. More like a global invasion that goes after everybody. This isn't a bunch of quest givers saying "go kill 10 rats" - this is bad ass aliens that want to gut you.

6) NPC armies - imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it's in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn't another game mode. It's all part of the same game.

7) Esports support - we plan on doing this pretty soon after launch. We plan on making this a big big thing and putting a lot of our resources behind it.

8) Weather
    This is by far the most exciting MMO with the most potential out there at the moment.

My only gripe is I think the payment model is a bit fucked at the moment, the whole system of how you gain upgrades needs a lot of work.

Edited by magicpanda at 11:50:52 30-11-2012
  • SClaw 30 Nov 2012 12:05:06 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree. Player convoys will be super epic and will see a lot of really organised gameplay. It particularly appeals to be, as I like to find ways to earn certs outside of combat sometimes.

I used to think the payment model was bad, but I think I'm ok now. Yeah... a 1000 certs for a new gun is steep but its not like they are dramatically different in function, and if you want them bad enough I don't think a few pounds is all that bad. I mean, a sub would be costing you £8-15 a month - it's unlikely you'll spend that much on guns.

The cert costs for everything else is reasonable. You can make 30+ certs an hour without even trying really. A good night's work and you can unlock a lot of nice toys. I mean, I already have scopes for all my guns and level 2 nano + level 3 ability upgrades on my primary classes and I've done that in a few nights (granted, I have the alpha booster for +25% - but even discounting that its not too bad). So long as you log in daily you get your free certs too, so unlocking the base level of pretty much everything (apart from guns) shouldn't take more than a couple of months even if you don't play that much.

I think even after I've used up all my alpha squad sc I'll be happy to drop some money on boosters. This is a game you play for the long haul, so investing a few pounds now and then and working slowly towards upgrades doesn't bother me. Better than "completing" everything in a matter of weeks.
  • magicpanda 30 Nov 2012 12:13:28 13,366 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the average player with no intention of dropping much, if any, cash on the game will be buggering off soon due to the glacial progress.

I hope not but with a game so dependent on population to bring out the best it could go wrong.

It's a very tricky balancing act they've got going.
  • andytheadequate 30 Nov 2012 13:31:46 8,181 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the bigger problem is just how unstable the game is at the moment. I've had two game breaking bugs that wouldn't even let me into the game (although their support had a fix for both), and every time I try to play I get no more than an hour into it until a problem arises. Yesterday I had floating corpses all over the map, I fell through the map, I seemed to get stuck in a load of fog, and the screen started to flash for around a minutes.

Maybe it's an issue with my connection, I might try using an ethernet cable instead of wireless.

I would be tempted to subscribe to this if I could get into it. I haven't even looked properly at the upgrades yet as I have barely made any progress

Edited by andytheadequate at 13:32:26 30-11-2012
  • TheRealBadabing 30 Nov 2012 14:25:07 1,314 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @andytheadequate get yourself a homeplug setup. Been using mine for a couple of years now and never had any issues. Saves trailing cables everywhere and massively better than wireless.
  • SClaw 30 Nov 2012 15:56:03 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's probably you. There are some lingering server issues, but they seem to be nailing them fast (last night on Woodman seemed silky smooth, but the pop was down a little think). I just quit an outfit because the outfit leader wouldn't stop bitching on voice about how he was lagging... yet everyone else was tootling along just fine.

Struggling to find a good outfit the moment. Everyone sucks. I might just have to hold on until things settle in a few weeks.
  • orpheus 30 Nov 2012 17:44:57 1,001 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I think the bigger problem is just how unstable the game is at the moment. I've had two game breaking bugs that wouldn't even let me into the game (although their support had a fix for both), and every time I try to play I get no more than an hour into it until a problem arises. Yesterday I had floating corpses all over the map, I fell through the map, I seemed to get stuck in a load of fog, and the screen started to flash for around a minutes.

Maybe it's an issue with my connection, I might try using an ethernet cable instead of wireless.

I would be tempted to subscribe to this if I could get into it. I haven't even looked properly at the upgrades yet as I have barely made any progress
    I'd consider uninstalling/reinstalling the client, or at least validating it to make sure it's all there. I've also never known anyone not be able to run vent at the same time as the game. What system are you on, out of interest? Very few people now seem to have those problems.
  • Dave_McCoy 30 Nov 2012 20:28:38 2,776 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Giving this a go now. I have no idea what's going on and I'm dying a lot. I might just be rubbish at PC FPSs though
  • LEEROY_UK 30 Nov 2012 21:52:36 30 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Please add me , tag is LEEROY on Woodman server.

Need some chums to squad up with.

Vanu btw !

Edited by LEEROY_UK at 00:05:30 01-12-2012
  • madwlf 30 Nov 2012 22:29:26 74 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played for a quick 30mins and found it a bit laggy for the first time. Still in love with my Light Assault though! Got a few sneaky kills.
  • andytheadequate 1 Dec 2012 00:00:31 8,181 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:

I'd consider uninstalling/reinstalling the client, or at least validating it to make sure it's all there. I've also never known anyone not be able to run vent at the same time as the game. What system are you on, out of interest? Very few people now seem to have those problems.
    Its my wireless, realised it was causing my bf3 problem so moved my pc nearer the router, should almost certainly sort ps2 out as well. What confused me was the fact it didn't seem all that laggy whenever I did try to join a game, just glitchy. Vent was working but only if I started it after I loaded the game up. No idea if anyone could hear me whilst I was in game though, will need to test it when only a few people are on.

Anyone fancy giving me an in game tutorial to get me up to speed? :)
  • TheRealBadabing 1 Dec 2012 00:45:15 1,314 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just to clear something up:

/rant on

Clive and I had organised ourselves into a tank team, using skype. We do this in lots of games and it gives him a chance to swear at me. Normally it works best if we can keep a constant chatter going, something that would be disruptive in ventrilo. Especially the sighing. And swearing.

Clive was happy to have vent running in the background so we would know where the objective was and we would assist as best we could. I tried to explain this to you all.

I thought that would be a pretty good way to coordinate with you guys but after being nagged into joining vent, I was delighted to hear about how unreasonable I was being (I don't think Saul realised I had joined at that point).

I wouldn't mind if we were being led by Sun Tzu reborn but the only actual tactic I heard all evening was some sort of human wave of light assaults bravely throwing themselves bravely at a fortified position (by the way, I joined in -bravely- but it didn't work).

Look, I love the game and would like to continue playing with you guys but as long as we are all going for the same objective does it really matter if we can hear everyone else's running commentary?

Maybe when we all have a bit more experience, voice comms will be invaluable for the more "delicate" aspects of an assault but right now it is very much a nice-to-have and not a necessity. So quit the nagging.

If anyone is clearly not playing with the team, a quick warning then kick them from the squad if there's someone else that needs the spot. No need to be so rude if someone doesn't want ventrilo buzzing constantly in the background while they play.

/rant off

Incidentally, if you are a MAX and need repairs, use V - 3. Then us engineers can see where you are and farm you for repair points.
  • orpheus 1 Dec 2012 01:29:50 1,001 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Just to clear something up:

/rant on

Clive and I had organised ourselves into a tank team, using skype. We do this in lots of games and it gives him a chance to swear at me. Normally it works best if we can keep a constant chatter going, something that would be disruptive in ventrilo. Especially the sighing. And swearing.

Clive was happy to have vent running in the background so we would know where the objective was and we would assist as best we could. I tried to explain this to you all.

I thought that would be a pretty good way to coordinate with you guys but after being nagged into joining vent, I was delighted to hear about how unreasonable I was being (I don't think Saul realised I had joined at that point).

I wouldn't mind if we were being led by Sun Tzu reborn but the only actual tactic I heard all evening was some sort of human wave of light assaults bravely throwing themselves bravely at a fortified position (by the way, I joined in -bravely- but it didn't work).

Look, I love the game and would like to continue playing with you guys but as long as we are all going for the same objective does it really matter if we can hear everyone else's running commentary?

Maybe when we all have a bit more experience, voice comms will be invaluable for the more "delicate" aspects of an assault but right now it is very much a nice-to-have and not a necessity. So quit the nagging.

If anyone is clearly not playing with the team, a quick warning then kick them from the squad if there's someone else that needs the spot. No need to be so rude if someone doesn't want ventrilo buzzing constantly in the background while they play.

/rant off

Incidentally, if you are a MAX and need repairs, use V - 3. Then us engineers can see where you are and farm you for repair points.
    No. Vent is essential, not optional, and in future I will only be sending squad invites to people who are using it and in the server when they ask for one. Quite apart from the fact that someone is paying for the voice server out of their own pocket so you can all use it, if you're not in it then you get continually left behind.

Case in point - your tank team tonight became instantly useless because we decided to take a Galaxy to a hex with little or no ground access. We didn't take that point and moved somewhere else, again quickly through the deploy menu, again leaving you behind. If you're not hearing the minute to minute decisions (and your SL sure as hell isn't going to type out every single one), then you're only half a squad member, and you make everyone wait for you when they should be playing.

You join an outfit to play with the outfit; there's little more frustrating as an SL than to see half the outfit online but only five in vent and working together. Sure there are times when you can't have voice on, or you're only on for half an hour before going out, but the great majority of the time there's no reason you can't have vent on. Coordination is essential in this game or you get steamrolled by those that do have it, and there's no avoiding that.

I've said it before - it's fine to be solo, it's fine to have a casual night, really it is - but from hereon in, squad = voice for my squads. I'm really not trying to be an arsehole about it, but communication is essential. If you don't want to join the main squad, no problem - just decline any invites and do your own thing. :)

EDIT: As for not hearing you, the first time you join you need to use the vent normalisation guide someone posted a page or so back, or you won't be heard. Vent doesn't just 'work' like TS3 does, sadly. I was frustrated at a lot of stuff tonight, so nothing personal at you chap, especially if you had joined.

One thing I will say though is have a little more faith in your SL. The LA assault was Eisa, and it became clear we weren't going to take it, so we moved elsewhere. If your SL says keep at it, keep at it - but we're only human, and we're trying to help everyone have a good night. We're not infallible, and sometimes we do make the wrong calls - but if half the squad fucks off at the first sign of trouble, we'll never get anywhere. Equally, if the squad isn't happy, we have to find something else that will make them happy, so have some consideration for the work the leaders put in on your behalf in future - because it's harder work than you think. ;)

Edited by orpheus at 01:49:10 01-12-2012
  • King_Edward 1 Dec 2012 01:40:14 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Work? I think it's supposed to be fun.
  • orpheus 1 Dec 2012 01:46:20 1,001 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @King_Edward

LOL, it's work when it's 'can i have an invite' every five minutes, 'where are we going next?' every two, 'where is everyone' every minute or so and so on and so forth, plus interacting with other leaders in command channels to coordinate effective defences/assaults etc. SLs have a lot of shit to coordinate and wrap their heads round, plus a team that expects them to put them in the good fights all the time, so it can be hard work. It's still fun, just a different kind. ;)

Edited by orpheus at 01:47:39 01-12-2012
  • DFawkes 1 Dec 2012 01:54:08 22,978 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I just want to piss about, I don't join a squad. I do hope that's okay - sometimes I just want to run about and generally be a massive liability to everyone ;) I do try and join properly when I can, but I tend to play in the living room (better heating than my room) where people are trying to watch TV, making Vent impractical.

Not that I don't still join sometimes, just being able to listen works 90% of the time anyway. I just thought I;d best explain why I don't always squad up :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Page

of 64 First / Last