Planetside 2 Page 14

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• MikeP 25 Nov 2012 14:59:52 1,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dropped in for a bit this afternoon and all seems well. Had a blast eventually taking a Biolab.

Started to see how to use the light assault class. Their weapons are a little bit meh, as is the ammo capacity, but the positional advantages you get in locations like biolabs more than make up for it.

Also, lvl 10 & spawn beacon acquired :)

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• urban 25 Nov 2012 15:00:20 10,945 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a buggy POS at the moment. I've got a very decent rig. i5 oc'd to 3.5, 8gb of ram and a 460gtx and this game slays it. I'm scratching at the door of 50fps but mostly 30fps at 1920x1080. Total resource hog.

I think I'll wait until it improves before investing any money in it.
  • Reacher 25 Nov 2012 15:29:20 841 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've joined this, as Vanbu on the Woodman server. I have no idea what I'm doing though. It might get me away from GW2 for the odd evening however.
  • andytheadequate 25 Nov 2012 17:07:49 8,219 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Most of us are on the miller server. I'm the same as urban though, won't be paying for it until the worst of the bugs are ironed out, still feels like it should be in beta.

Edited by andytheadequate at 17:57:19 25-11-2012
  • Reacher 25 Nov 2012 17:37:33 841 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I might change server if I find the game warrants it.
  • magicpanda 25 Nov 2012 17:55:54 13,370 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    urban wrote:
    It's a buggy POS at the moment. I've got a very decent rig. i5 oc'd to 3.5, 8gb of ram and a 460gtx and this game slays it. I'm scratching at the door of 50fps but mostly 30fps at 1920x1080. Total resource hog.

I think I'll wait until it improves before investing any money in it.
    I've got exactly the same with an ati 6870 and it runs really well on max settings even with video capture running.

If you are having FPS problems then this should help.

Go to your root dir for PS2 (F:\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2)
    Find UserOptions.ini
    Change RenderDistance= To around 1000

Optional
    Under [Display]
    Change RenderQuality= to 0.850000
    Change ShadowQuality= To 0
    Under [Terrain]
    Change RenderFlora= To off
  • orpheus 25 Nov 2012 18:09:28 1,003 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tends to be sensible practice not to spend any cash on a free-to-play game during the first two/three weeks of launch anyway; I've not spent any of my SC yet for that reason.

Love the game, when it works, although the constant EU server fuckups are taking the piss now. Hopping to another EU server doesn't look like it'll do any good - from what I read on the PS2 forums, Woodman had reports of the same problems Miller had last night/today, and also Matheson as well (a US one, I think?).

So yeah. Treat it like a beta til it stabilises - it's one of SOE's flagship products so I can't imagine it will stay this bad for long. It's their own dumbass fault for not load-testing properly during the closed beta... for not having an open beta at all, really. Fingers crossed we see some proper stability improvements next week.
  • Widge Moderator 25 Nov 2012 19:24:32 13,675 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wondering about getting into the Galaxy. Large flying spawn point seems kind of unique.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• urban 25 Nov 2012 19:38:05 10,945 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've uninstalled for now. Looking forward to it getting stable though, it's a very impressive advance from the original.

My two main gripes would be the very daunting UI which makes tweaking the graphics and other general settings with genuine benefit in FPS and the fact it was actually more stable and more fun when it was in beta!

Also, I'm generally a pilot in games if I can be but fuck me if I can get a handle on the air combat in this!

Edited by urban at 19:38:34 25-11-2012
  • Widge Moderator 25 Nov 2012 19:41:39 13,675 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got onto miller in time for it to die.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Kovacs77 25 Nov 2012 20:52:35 366 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Loving this, I rolled Terran on Woodman, couldn't be assed with the queues on Milller... Bit lonely though, what are the options for getting involved with you guys? Vanu on Miller and NC on...?

Not seen any glitches yet and had a really good fps on a 560ti.
  • orpheus 25 Nov 2012 21:09:34 1,003 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Wondering about getting into the Galaxy. Large flying spawn point seems kind of unique.
    Gal no longer has the AMS spawn point upgrade sadly.

Kovacs - Vanu on Miller if you want in :)
  • Widge Moderator 25 Nov 2012 21:10:38 13,675 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah my 660 goes a bit spare when a lot is going on, but I wonder how much of that is server driven effects?

I had the vanishing world, blinking in and out of existence thing, but has been great.

I always assume launch online games are a bit shakey. I remember the servers on Warhawk not even letting anyone on. Used to just leave mine running a 24 player map overnight in those days to help the community.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Widge Moderator 25 Nov 2012 21:13:52 13,675 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just discoevered Steam lets you have a browser open (late to the party), the 30 min queue has been slightly less drastic.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Kovacs77 25 Nov 2012 21:21:14 366 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    Gal no longer has the AMS spawn point upgrade sadly.

Kovacs - Vanu on Miller if you want in :)
    Hmmm I dunno, after several hours of playing Terran I'm not sure I can stomach going purple... Also, We've got proper guns with proper bullets! :)
    What's the queuing like on Miller? Last time i tried to get in it was over 200 people!
  • madwlf 25 Nov 2012 21:34:28 74 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Server restarting now.
    Having fun with this. Been playing as a Heavy Assault. Not great at FPS but managed to get upto BR5. Not used any upgrades yet as I don't have a clue what to go for.
    I'm having the usual trouble of not being able to identify enemies quick enough and by the time I have I'm usually dead.
    I'm finding defending smaller bases fun as it's not so crazy with hundreds of people running about.
    @orpheus I've added you as a friend - in game name madwlf. Hopefully be able to join up with you all.
  • MightyMouse 26 Nov 2012 00:54:09 1,133 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Playing this with a friend on Cobalt (haven't had a queue, decent population and stable so far). What are people going to spend their CP's on? Everything seems pretty expensive, think I might get the absolute basics and then hoard them until I know the game a lot better.
  • orpheus 26 Nov 2012 04:58:41 1,003 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kovacs77 wrote:
    Hmmm I dunno, after several hours of playing Terran I'm not sure I can stomach going purple... Also, We've got proper guns with proper bullets! :)
    What's the queuing like on Miller? Last time i tried to get in it was over 200 people!
    I've not found it to be a problem bar one night where the login server was all fucked. Even a queue of 200 or so doesn't last more than about 20 minutes; I just alt tab while it runs and run a browser. Miller was a ton more stable tonight as well, even when stuff was really busy: no chatlag or disconnects, though I did get on quite late.

Led DOTBADS to victory tonight and continent locked Indar. Massive fight at Mao Tech was one of the best I've had yet, then squad with ESF support pulled a Galaxy and whomped round the map capping the last few points while the VS zerg hammered the TR into submission. Over 100 certs made, now only 14 away from the last squad leader comms stuff (cba with the waypoints etc yet), and I'll finally be able to start certing a class properly. \o/

EDIT: Madwlf - got your add chap, next time I see you on I'll sort your outfit invites etc out.

For any new guys, all vent & other useful dotbads info is here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpshplanetside

Edited by orpheus at 05:00:15 26-11-2012
  • Widge Moderator 26 Nov 2012 07:05:05 13,675 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One map last night (grassy one) we were getting sucked into large scale bio take over at the detriment of the other locations. Went to icy place and that was swinging back and forth.

Now have over one hundreeeeed cert points. Question is where to stick them. Not sure about sticking them in gun because they are then locked to that gun from what I see.

Flying the scythe was incredibly difficult, I can only imagine battling controls rather than actually helping anyone. Would love to hover and assist, but end up in knots.

Edited by Widge at 07:46:25 26-11-2012

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• SClaw 26 Nov 2012 08:49:51 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TR on Woodman (the Miller queues are too depressing to even think about). Name is Claw if anyone wants to add me.

Now I've had time to play a little I'm mostly happy with it. The rubberbanding and server crashes are a pain the neck... but the latter can be dealt with by shifting to a smaller fight until it clears. To be honest, you earn more certs that way anyway (repairing turrets after the zerg moves off is cert gold mining, for example).

So far I've spent my alpha squad cash on the lightning skyguard (which is shit) a second burster for the max (which is beyond epic) and some helmets. Nothing else interests me in the least.

Apart from the server issues, the only thing annoying me is how broken the voice stuff is. I could use teamspeak like most of the outfits are... but I just don't want to because it cuts you off from the rest of the randoms. The voice worked fine in beta. Hopefully, that's just another issue with the servers.
  • MikeP 26 Nov 2012 09:44:23 1,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've spent on the Skyguard because it can be very useful, and there's not way I was going to drop the certs on it.

I also got the Saron secondary gun for the Magrider. That thing turns a decent tank into a complete beast, as it's another anti-vehicle weapon. I jumped into some random's tank and we wasted three Lightnings in quick succession without breaking a sweat.

If you had a squad of them and decent target calling you'd annihilate a larger, disorganised force.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• SClaw 26 Nov 2012 10:06:42 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The skyguard puts a lot of rounds in the air, but it's stupidly inaccurate considering you are so vulnerable in a lightning. However I think it'll only get better with some certs spent on the gun (which isn't too many certs).

The dual burster, however, is insanely good. It takes one and half clips to knock anything but a galaxy out of the sky and the range is incredible. Two dual bursters going at it can completely close down the sky around an area. Plus the max can strafe out of harms way or turbo out of fire if targeted directly. Once I pop some more upgrades on there I'll be unstoppable. Which is not very balanced, but it is hella fun.
  • Kovacs77 26 Nov 2012 18:54:55 366 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Orpheus, can I get an invite, I just added Saul in-game (I'm Kvcs)

Cheers!
  • Ranger_Ryu 26 Nov 2012 19:57:54 1,069 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    started playing this as Vanu on Miller anyone feel free to send a friend request or something-RangerRyu
  • overcorpse 26 Nov 2012 21:18:32 273 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ranger_Ryu Chuck a friend request in game to Saul and he will sort you out with an invite to the outfit.

And after playing today i came to the realisation that the Saron is a godlike weapon.Spent an hour on a cliff near the crossroads base sniping at Vanguards and Lightnings without them realising where it was coming from.Must of bagged half a dozen or more,a few turrets and assists on a few Libs before i got bored.

Edited by overcorpse at 21:27:39 26-11-2012

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• Widge Moderator 26 Nov 2012 21:34:20 13,675 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What is this Saron?

In queue to jump in right now!

EDIT:

Apols for being totally MMO-noobular, but when I press enter to chat, who on earth am I chatting to? The entire population, my faction?

Edited by Widge at 21:42:05 26-11-2012

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• overcorpse 26 Nov 2012 21:50:52 273 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Saron is the secondary gun for the Vanu Main Battle Tank the Magrider.

Edited by overcorpse at 21:51:19 26-11-2012

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• SnipeyUK 26 Nov 2012 22:00:01 29 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I spent 20 minutes waiting in the queue then after 5 minutes got disconnected... when I'm next on I'll be looking to join up with the outfit as when it actually works the game seems like it could be really good fun.
  • Widge Moderator 26 Nov 2012 22:00:04 13,675 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah right. Ta.

Love getting into Miller just as the server goes down. I am the kiss of death.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• SnipeyUK 26 Nov 2012 22:20:46 29 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At least the time wasn’t completely wasted as I had it queuing in the background, but it was a little bit annoying.

Had great fun yesterday being part of a massive convoy assaulting a base. The scale of everything is really impressive.

My only other minor issue is with having to sign up with another company instead of Sony and using their own payment system (if I do)in the future rather than the single station cash system.
  • Page

of 64 First / Last