Planetside 2 Page 10

• Page

of 63 First / Last

• AccidentProne 20 Nov 2012 23:11:56 1,152 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah ok, so It's not like they'll be using separate servers or anything? I'll probably just go through Steam then, if it makes no real difference.
  • orpheus 20 Nov 2012 23:22:49 993 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @AccidentProne You'll still have to make an account with them either way; if you weren't in the beta, it makes no real difference.
  • Errol 20 Nov 2012 23:24:13 12,454 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looking forward to this. Will be on Woodman EU server as 'Errol' (VANU).
  • AccidentProne 20 Nov 2012 23:28:29 1,152 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers orpheus.

Now just need to find out which server my old Werner buddies are using.
  • mr_pink 21 Nov 2012 00:44:53 18 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can someone please confirm, if I download the client directly from the PS2 site can I 'officially' link it to Steam or do I have to go through Steam if I want that? What are the pros and cons of the two options? If I just add it as a non-Steam game will I lose out on any Steam-specific community features?

(I was in the beta in case that makes any difference).
  • overcorpse 21 Nov 2012 01:09:22 261 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mr_pink If you were in the Beta then you can download the client directly from Sony and you will not have to make an account with ProSat.If you go through Steam then you will have to make an account ProSat and by all accounts they are a bag of fail,so your better of staying with Sony.

Edited by overcorpse at 02:52:05 21-11-2012

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• orpheus 21 Nov 2012 02:49:58 993 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mr_pink wrote:
    Can someone please confirm, if I download the client directly from the PS2 site can I 'officially' link it to Steam or do I have to go through Steam if I want that? What are the pros and cons of the two options? If I just add it as a non-Steam game will I lose out on any Steam-specific community features?

(I was in the beta in case that makes any difference).
    Yep, Overcorpse has it right. Get the client from SOE to avoid ProSieben, then just add the game as a 'non steam game' to your steam library to get the overlay etc - there are no steam specific features.
  • Widge Moderator 21 Nov 2012 09:10:39 13,247 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok, joined up (without United Kingdom being in the region list, I plumped for United States, which appears twice).

Jumped in on Miller and just had a blast. First thing I had to do was nip the visuals down to Medium as engine just chugs in the chaotic battle hotspots.

Generally went from confusion to ok to anger to confusion. I obviously need to go read something manual-wise on this.

Like a moron, I thought the engineer turrets were bot ones, so just slapped them down and bogged off. Only at the end I realised you had to mount them.

Absolutely no idea how to really get on the strategy of things as I just seemed to spawn, frantically defend and then die. Also telling what is an enemy I found frustrating, without wanting to friendly fire. Guessing I just twonk whoever doesn't have a coloured chevron.

However. It is better to get into than Dust 514. Massively so. Feels like a more technically accomplished version without an intimidating layer of customising that gets in the way.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Tryhard 21 Nov 2012 12:01:55 3,659 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I cannot run PS2 but I have been watching beta streams and a stream of release version lastnight.Buzz had 18 squads under his control.It sure looked slick over beta,and the battles were pretty epic,very entertaining to watch.
  • Widge Moderator 21 Nov 2012 12:08:08 13,247 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I need to press the INSERT button on my next game and follow my squad leader about!

_ _ _

• magicpanda 21 Nov 2012 13:46:53 13,259 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So. many. questions.

I'm magicpanda on Vanu side EU miller server.

Edited by magicpanda at 13:47:58 21-11-2012
  • orpheus 21 Nov 2012 13:49:08 993 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Ok, joined up (without United Kingdom being in the region list, I plumped for United States, which appears twice).

Jumped in on Miller and just had a blast. First thing I had to do was nip the visuals down to Medium as engine just chugs in the chaotic battle hotspots.

Generally went from confusion to ok to anger to confusion. I obviously need to go read something manual-wise on this.

Like a moron, I thought the engineer turrets were bot ones, so just slapped them down and bogged off. Only at the end I realised you had to mount them.

Absolutely no idea how to really get on the strategy of things as I just seemed to spawn, frantically defend and then die. Also telling what is an enemy I found frustrating, without wanting to friendly fire. Guessing I just twonk whoever doesn't have a coloured chevron.

However. It is better to get into than Dust 514. Massively so. Feels like a more technically accomplished version without an intimidating layer of customising that gets in the way.
    I'll make sure the outfit gets set up today, hopefully that'll alleviate some of the randomness and give you all some experienced people to play with. :) Add Saul (Vanu, Miller server) in game to join etc.

Oh and Miller is (one of) the EU server(s), so good choice. ;)

Regarding strategy, don't worry too much. I can't decide if it's a good thing to drop brand new players into a fight - gets them instakilled usually - or to drop them at the warpgate, which forces them to find the fight themselves. Either way it's counter-intuitive, but I suppose its the best of an awkward situation.

Some advice - pick a class and stick with it for a bit, learn the ins and outs. Medic has a solid default weapon (one of the best defaults imo) and is fairly easy to get to grips with, same for Light Assault (yay jetpacks) and Heavy if you fancy tank-blatting.

Each hex/base has capture points (A/B/C) that will appear on the hud when you're nearby. The more people near one of these points (max of 6 ish), the quicker the capture. Big bases often have shield generators (small tank symbols/bullet symbols etc depending on what they protect against); these are critical. Go LA and fly over the shields if they block you, then hold E on the gen to destabilise them. Defend the destab'd generator til it pops and when it does, your tanks/infantry etc can roll in. Smaller bases may only have one point, bigger ones with gens need coordination to hit each one and further reduce the defender's ability to hold the base. Force the enemy out (killing their spawn point is usually the end for them, but it's usually behind several shields) to take the territory. Capping territories provides big wodges of xp, and xp becomes Certifications, which you use to improve your character - a scope for your preferred gun, better turret for your tank etc. Xp is also granted for kills, heals etc.

Territory provides several bonuses. Outpost hexes provide resources for either infantry, vehicle or air - hold territory, have enough resources for that tank, use tank to take next territory etc. Holding the bigger bases (Tech Plants, Biolabs, Amp Stations) provide concrete benefits as well as resources - Tech Plants allow you to spawn main battle tanks (the 2 man ones) at any main vehicle terminal if held, Amp Stations help static turrets cool down quicker, and Biolabs provide an auto-heal if no damage is taken for a short period. Tech plants especially are critical for larger operations - no MBT = stomped by whoever does have them. So you're fighting for bases and outposts to improve your resource totals, and to provide bonuses to your war effort. Capturing *every* territory on a continent at once provides a reduction in cost for all vehicle/air/inf depending on which continent you're capping - Esamir gives 10% reduction in Tank spawn costs, for example, while Indar is infantry, so cheaper grenades and so on.

Being in a squad provides more xp for most actions, especially those that benefit your squad, e.g. healing squad members. You can spawn on squad leaders etc, and squad voice or external TS/Vent etc lets you coordinate for better efficiency.

Expect things to be chaotic for the first few weeks, as all the 'commander' stuff must be Certed into, so very few people have access to the Command channels, squad beacons (allow respawn at the beacon), waypoints etc. The Sunderer transports can also be used as a mobile spawn/rearm point, and are often critical for success, so check for a Sundie near your objective to save you a long walk to the fight.

Bleh, that's a bit disjointed, but hopefully helpful. Outfit will be set up tonight or this avo, and then tonight I'll take the newer players out to show them the ropes. :) Feel free to ask any specific questions I've not covered here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Edited by orpheus at 13:51:26 21-11-2012
  • magicpanda 21 Nov 2012 14:31:35 13,259 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Very helpful Orph.

Found this as well
  • Widge Moderator 21 Nov 2012 14:31:59 13,247 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm ok with the strategy side of things when it comes to role types, my instinct now is to go into Warhawk mode and remember how I learnt that (i.e. pick a support role and work on defense and base support, rather than trying to plough into the middle of everything). The main thing is to get to learn the HUD, the controls, the map, the layout and ebb of fights.

Its like I can instantly recall Warhawk to my mind, Badlands map. Two "towns" either side of the map, large base with spawn, smaller base with spawn, fairly decent sized central base with spawn. Like PS2, it required you to hang around in the area to capture it (although if an enemy is in it, the spawn takeover halts until they are killed).

It is getting that familiarity though, where I can look at a map and know what I am doing and where. Ended up in some crazy base last night which had barracks, turrets, power sources... my main beef was I could not tell which direction we were attempting to defend, where we were getting breached, who the enemies were. It is that confusion I need to read.

_ _ _

• magicpanda 21 Nov 2012 14:42:11 13,259 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There is no end of round as such is there?

All exp and whatnot is earned on the spot.
  • overcorpse 21 Nov 2012 14:43:39 261 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @magicpanda Nope,everything is persistent.

They really need to sort this friendly fire system out,i'm forever getting punished for other peoples retardism.Enginneers trying to fix your tank in the middle of a tank battle is starting to really grind my gears

Edited by overcorpse at 14:46:37 21-11-2012

• magicpanda 21 Nov 2012 14:58:44 13,259 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    170 free station cash to be had
  • orpheus 21 Nov 2012 15:05:37 993 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    170 free station cash to be had
    Heh, good spot dude! It's 85 smedbucks per site, log into both and you get the full 170. You do not need to download clients etc, just log in, close window, go to second site, log in, close window - done. :D
  • Whizzo 21 Nov 2012 15:08:49 43,033 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If only I could remember my bloody Station password, tried to change it and the site reckons I've already done it once today, presumably it's stupidly using the IP address of the N3 proxy to check and someone else has already done it today!

This space left intentionally blank.

• orpheus 21 Nov 2012 15:20:06 993 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    Very helpful Orph.

Found this as well
    Just an FYI, this is good but slightly out of date. Auraxium is no longer in the game - certs are used for all upgrades and new weapons etc. Other than that, and not mentioning the new metagame stuff (i.e. you need a Tech Plant to spawn MBTs outside the warpgate etc), it's pretty spot on.
  • DFawkes 21 Nov 2012 15:53:53 22,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just played this for the first time since beta (last time I played was just after the second territory was added). Glad to see that it's running better, at least on my machine. I like most of the small changes to it so far, all feels streamlined without dumbing down.

Camouflaged Vanu look very silly though :p Doesn't stop me using it though, it's free so it's getting used.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• MikeP 21 Nov 2012 16:09:32 1,765 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Those reddit links to other Sony games still work fine, btw. 170 station cash added in no time at all.
  • orpheus 21 Nov 2012 16:39:12 993 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Camouflaged Vanu look very silly though :p Doesn't stop me using it though, it's free so it's getting used.
    Man, the Alpha camo for Vanu is so BRIGHT, we look like enormous purple-veined dongs.

AWESOME \o/
  • DFawkes 21 Nov 2012 17:03:37 22,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh yeah! Purple Dong Squad assemble!

Store prices don't seem too bad so far. The 4000 from Alpha Squad certain seems to be enough to buy anything you'd want for now. Not all that much to buy, but it's nice to know there's stuff there.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• orpheus 21 Nov 2012 17:58:25 993 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I'm saving mine til the outfit is a bit more coherent and I know what we need etc - don't want to blow it all on a pimp Lib til I know it's needed. Got your add btw!

As an FYI for you guys tonight, I'd intended to be on but now have to go out, so add Eben *and* Saul (me) in game for squad and outfit invites tonight. The outfit is now up & running (DOTBADS), and Eben will be sorting everyone out til I get back around midnightish. I'll be kicking around in game for the next half hour or so if you want to get on and get the outfit stuff sorted early, Eben will likely be on around 7-8ish.

Should be good! :D
  • Widge Moderator 21 Nov 2012 18:06:43 13,247 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, on Steam, I am fourfourfun. I'll try and figure out how to link up with you guys at some point.

I have an evil stack of reviews to write so I need to step away from the MMO.

_ _ _

• orpheus 21 Nov 2012 20:03:59 993 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Since I can't get hold of anyone with any organising skills, outfit invites will have to wait til tomorrow for anyone who is on tonight. Sorry chaps.

EDIT: Bacon saved - anyone who needs an outfit invite tonight add 'Theotzu' in game and he'll sort your invites, squads etc. I'll take over properly when I get back.

Edited by orpheus at 20:09:49 21-11-2012
  • overcorpse 21 Nov 2012 23:44:40 261 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Totally unplayable atm on Miller,flying tanks galoure.Looks like Prosieben are living up to their reputation of fail magnificently.

• Widge Moderator 22 Nov 2012 08:44:31 13,247 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had 15 minutes of emphatic flashing and vanishing landscape. Other than that it was rather fine.

It clicked for me yesterday. Running around a mega base, getting the generator up and running, repairing and manning the cannons.

We'd taken a massive amount of land, but by the end of it had been cut back.

Didn't realise you had to have the relevant skill to deploy the sunderer, so driving that was a touch pointless. Also some things my could not repair for some reason. Odd. And I take it someone directs where you can spawn to focus team attention?

Could really do with reading up on what the buttons are!

_ _ _

• Page

of 63 First / Last