Planetside 2 Page 61

• Page

of 63 First / Last

• SnipeyUK 21 Jan 2014 19:31:32 29 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RedSparrows

I use HW monitor to check the temps. Not that it helps you but I think I must be one of the lucky ones as I had a disconnect couple of months ago but can't remember when before that (and I run in through steam). The pc I build a couple of years has an i7 2600k @ 4.4 but only an ATI 5850 so you don't need the latest components if everything is balanced (i.e. no bottlenecks).

As you say, you could just leave the side of the case of while playing the game to see if it makes a difference as it should lower temps by a couple of degrees.

I run a custom ps2 config file but it's unlikely it would fix crashes, just maybe have a smoother game.

One thing that has made a big difference for me is running the game on an SSD. It loads faster, I think the frame rate is more consistent and even the map displays faster as well.

Hope you can identify the problem.

P.S. It may also be worth check you have a stable internet connection to rule that out as well.

Edited by SnipeyUK at 19:42:58 21-01-2014
  • SnipeyUK 22 Jan 2014 12:35:33 29 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Something seemed a bit odd with the infantry weapons last night on Miller. Not sure if it was the server lagging with hits not registering or an undocumented patch update.

My trusty NS11a and VX6-7 both seemed to be a bit off, I could unload a whole clip into people and still not take them down at close-mid range. On Monday everything seemed ok to me.

Still, it was a good Vanu alert win again last night :)
  • RedSparrows 22 Jan 2014 12:53:51 21,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks to Saul I think I know what the problem is. Fingers crossed it'll be fixed tomorrow.

However, given how much of a noob I was in the first place, anything goes!

Thanks for the ideas, Snipey.
  • orpheus 22 Jan 2014 18:21:11 993 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I noticed the same last night Snipey, especially on carbines. Think it was just the server having a bit of a tremble, we were in some pretty big fights at times as well, which is always more processor intensive. Actually can't remember who you are in game off the top of my head (shit memory, too many years of smoking, and too many ubads to remember lol), but remind me next time you see me on and we'll see if it happens at the same time for both of us, just to rule out any internet issues for you.

@Red not a noob mistake really, just one of those things a lot of people never think about. Tomorrow's pretty quick though, gotta love that fast delivery ;0 You'll be back on form before you know it :D

Eyeing up a Gainward Phantom GTX 780 as I type this... hnnnggg so tempting
  • Errol 22 Jan 2014 19:37:18 12,454 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SnipeyUK wrote:
    Something seemed a bit odd with the infantry weapons last night on Miller. Not sure if it was the server lagging with hits not registering or an undocumented patch update.

My trusty NS11a and VX6-7 both seemed to be a bit off, I could unload a whole clip into people and still not take them down at close-mid range. On Monday everything seemed ok to me.

Still, it was a good Vanu alert win again last night :)

Most likely a bit of lag. Sometimes this happens.
  • SnipeyUK 22 Jan 2014 19:42:47 29 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @orpheus

Will do. I haven't had a crash for months and I'm on fibre (current speed test says 8ms ping, 37.4 down 8.2 up) so things are normally ok, just yesterday things were acting a bit strange! Looking on the forums there do seem to be quite a few server lag posts.

I've been looking at the GTX 780's with the price drops a couple of months ago and the new non-ref cooled ATI 290 as well. I think the 290 is very good and comparable card for the price with extra ram and the possibility of mantle being good, but the 780 is currently the more stable card (lower power usage, less heat, less potential for card hardware issues), as it's been around for longer.

There's some new Nvidia cards coming out later this year :)
  • RedSparrows 23 Jan 2014 16:30:16 21,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Now have 2 x 1600mhz sticks, rather than 1 + 1 x 1300mhz. Upped the settings in the BIOS and boom, running fine, DDRAM at 798 ish.. Played a game of DOTA, no crashes - temps were lower too, funnily.

Now trying PS2.

Edited by RedSparrows at 16:30:37 23-01-2014
  • orpheus 23 Jan 2014 19:06:31 993 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Now have 2 x 1600mhz sticks, rather than 1 + 1 x 1300mhz. Upped the settings in the BIOS and boom, running fine, DDRAM at 798 ish.. Played a game of DOTA, no crashes - temps were lower too, funnily.

Now trying PS2.
    How did it go?

At a guess, the lower temps may be due to the way your chip works. When I was looking at it the other day, there were a lot of users running high-end RAM to improve performance. Because there's no dedicated VRAM, the RAM you have installed will be split between your CPU and GPU cores.

Now you're running 2x 1600, then more work will be offloaded to the GPU cores, freeing up CPU cycles and achieving the same result with a little less heat.

This has some handy graphs illustrating the difference between RAM speeds and performance; go back a page or two for the full info.

Edited by orpheus at 19:07:46 23-01-2014
  • SnipeyUK 23 Jan 2014 19:49:40 29 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @orpheus

Yep, if you are not using a dedicated GPU the faster the ram the higher the frame rate, especially when using AMD APU's (e.g. A10 etc.), as itís used as the VRAM.

I recommended one to friend awhile back and it seems to be running well using 8GB of very fast ram. You can get quite reasonable frame rates with the AMD A10 and it's way faster than anything Intel have released if you donít need/want to buy a separate GPU.
  • RedSparrows 24 Jan 2014 08:38:17 21,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dota2 worked fine.

PS2 worked fine, for about 35/40 mins, then crashed - same issue. I think the RAM has helped, but temp is issue: am going to test today.
  • RedSparrows 24 Jan 2014 10:18:44 21,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just tested - no crashes. Temp hit 61 max, but averaged at 55. Was in 25-48 fights (both sides), tanks, aircraft, etc. The RAM has absolutely helped, certainly in reducing temps, and quite possibly in avoiding memory errors also.

I think there's still work to be done - I crashed last night during a massive Vanu zerg - about 10 Scythes, dozens of tanks etc. Probably a bit too much. Will have to test temps in the biggest 48+ fights.
  • Bleh 24 Jan 2014 12:33:08 240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For those who are thinking about getting a new video card, if you pick a nvidia you can also use the option "GPU Particle Quality". In other words you get fancier explosions/special effects. They look nice but are not always handy when in a big fight.
  • orpheus 24 Jan 2014 18:01:04 993 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Just tested - no crashes. Temp hit 61 max, but averaged at 55. Was in 25-48 fights (both sides), tanks, aircraft, etc. The RAM has absolutely helped, certainly in reducing temps, and quite possibly in avoiding memory errors also.

I think there's still work to be done - I crashed last night during a massive Vanu zerg - about 10 Scythes, dozens of tanks etc. Probably a bit too much. Will have to test temps in the biggest 48+ fights.
    Haha stop worrying! Temps are absolutely fine. PS2 crashes - it happens to all of us. I get it at least once a session even now, and my rig is perfectly fine. I'd say you've solved your problem and all you're getting now is PS2 being janky, like it is for everyone else :D

Seriously. Keep an eye on the temps in a 48+/48+, but really I think you've sorted it - especially as DOTA has now stopped crashing as well.

Edit: Oh no wait, you said 'same issue' If that means it's still hard-locking, then it's not the standard PS2 crash (that one is to desktop). Bugger. Will put the thinking cap back on, but Snipey/Shrel may have some suggestions - he seems to know your A10 setup a lot better than I do. I know jack about AMD and even less about APU rigs!

Edited by orpheus at 18:04:14 24-01-2014
  • orpheus 24 Jan 2014 18:01:54 993 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bleh wrote:
    For those who are thinking about getting a new video card, if you pick a nvidia you can also use the option "GPU Particle Quality". In other words you get fancier explosions/special effects. They look nice but are not always handy when in a big fight.
    Just pulled the trigger on a 780 and a new case. Looking forward to Shadowplay and GPU particles when they get switched back on (if they've not already).
  • Bleh 26 Jan 2014 12:21:48 240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just pulled the trigger on a 780 and a new case. Looking forward to Shadowplay and GPU particles when they get switched back on (if they've not already).
    Option is indeed still disabled. Had to check it on my laptop.
  • orpheus 8 Feb 2014 13:11:08 993 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    World Domination Series has started up again this week - empire vs empire vs empire in a 'who can score the most territory points' battle.

This is already causing decent fights in rarely seen bases, as the empires look for 'easy points'. Weekly updates are still happening too - it's a good time to be playing!

Join your fellow UBADs and ensure that the Vanu Sovereignty rises to victory (just like last time, mwahahaha)! \o/
  • RedSparrows 8 Feb 2014 14:35:07 21,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tried logging in last night, but the game stuck on 'logging in', so I tried again, same, then quit. Anyone else ever get that?
  • DUFFKING 8 Feb 2014 14:44:34 7,075 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah it happens when the servers are busy, I think it's put you in a queue but hasn't actually displayed that to you.

Think I spotted Errol's MAX the other night. Probably happened before, but there's so many bloody KOTV around the place it's hard to notice individual names.

Edited by DUFFKING at 14:45:34 08-02-2014
  • Errol 13 Feb 2014 00:57:41 12,454 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've only used a max 8% of my entire play time so I'm not often in one!!

The WDS and bugs in voice chat have hampered KOTV the last week or so. Hopefully in-game voip will be totally fixed asap.

Still loving the game though.
  • orpheus 1 Mar 2014 15:51:55 993 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok folks, we don't often do events in UBAD, but we're doing one now. We're going to have an in-game reunion on the 29th March. It's a Sat, so hopefully that means us working stiffs can still make it. :)

It's been over a year, and we've got over 150 members... if even half came back, we could run almost two full platoons. So, if you ever played with UBAD, hop in on the 29th and have a blast. :D

The game's changed a lot; you might be surprised. Hope to see some of you there!
  • SnipeyUK 3 Mar 2014 19:23:22 29 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @orpheus Good idea, hopefully when people see all of the changes that have happened over the past few months (optimisations, continent updates etc.) they will get back into it again.

Do you have any time or times in mind?

We had a good size ubad squad last night in the platoon, maybe by the event I'll get a mic sorted to stop people having a moan at me! :D
  • Rusty_M 3 Mar 2014 20:16:34 4,565 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @orpheus Great idea.

I'm out that evening I think.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• orpheus 8 Mar 2014 10:01:43 993 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ha Rusty, that's a shame! Be great to see as many there on the night as possible, should be a good one!
  • Clive_Dunn 8 Mar 2014 13:38:39 4,775 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think even I might pop back in game for that, haven't played for ages and feel the need for a bit of pew pew.
  • Errol 11 Mar 2014 22:52:59 12,454 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's been updated/improved quite a lot in the last few months. Better performance etc.

Still the best FPS there is.
  • Errol 15 Mar 2014 12:53:20 12,454 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The new edition of PC GAMER magazine has a PS2 code in it - you get a one day 50% XP boots, the NS commissioner pistol and some PC Gamer decals.

A good deal - the pistol is great fun.
  • RedSparrows 15 Mar 2014 12:55:32 21,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saul - sorry not been on! Another lull. Will be on again soon.
  • Progguitarist 16 Mar 2014 11:29:55 10,399 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm in for March 29th
  • IronGiant 16 Mar 2014 16:44:51 4,473 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I'm in for March 29th
    Will you bother getting this on PS4?
  • Progguitarist 16 Mar 2014 17:11:39 10,399 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It'll run at about 20 fps as the PS4 is garbage, so most likely, no.
  • Page

of 63 First / Last