Planetside 2 Page 7

• Page

of 65 First / Last

• raven_g20 11 Oct 2012 18:28:25 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I tried the link you gave me and i can download the client. Let see if i will be able to play afterwards. Thank you guys.
  • ecu 11 Oct 2012 20:46:38 77,234 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are there any decent beginners guides for this? Cause I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • orpheus 11 Oct 2012 22:51:27 1,008 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You fight over continents. Continents are divided into hexes, with each collection of hexes comprising a base or outpost having a name e.g. Allatum BioLab etc. Each base or outpost provides a set amount of a particular resource (there are four resources currently) when held by a faction. Every 'tick', every player in an empire receives the combined total of all resources from the territories they currently hold on the continent - about every five minutes or so.

Three of the four resource types (red, gold, green) are used to 'pull' vehicles like tanks, aircraft, transports etc - and thus are strategically important. Holding territories allows a faction to mount more powerful assaults and sustain them longer.

The blue resource is used to purchase additional weapon variants for infantry and vehicles, e.g. a more powerful turret for your tank, a better rifle for your sniper etc.

Fighting and performing actions (healing, repairing, reviving etc) within these bases and outposts also provides small amounts of whatever resource the base/outpost provides to the player.

During play, you will also receive XP that provides 'Certification Points' or Certs. Certs accumulate by performing combat/support actions, capturing capture points and bases/outposts, and passively over time (at a very slow rate). Certs are used to upgrade or enhance your equipment - better armour for your tank, more speed for your fighter or a better scope for your gun - which are then equipped in the appropriate loadout screen before use.

There are six infantry classes, all of which are fairly self explanatory, and all of which can be improved or expanded upon through application of Certs. MAX suits are essentially walking power armour with heavy weapons, used in tight indoor spaces where a tank would be useless. Like all vehicles, they have a cooldown timer to prevent spam.

Players usually coordinate in squads - supporting squadmates provides more xp than regular actions - and use the in game voice (check the keybinds) or TS etc. Be in a squad, the game sucks solo. To join a public squad, use the 'social' menu.

Capture points appear on the mini map and hud as letters (A, B, C), and are captured by standing close to them. Spawn points, equipment terminals, turrets etc in bases can all be hacked or destroyed to disrupt defenders. Most smaller bases are fairly open, while the larger ones may be defended by multiple shields, turrets and anti-air as well as player defenders. These bases often have multiple routes in, and the larger bases provide the biggest fights.

We have an EG/RPS/etc outfit going (Vanu faction, Eurydome server), and the steam group details are further back in the thread. Join us for epic victory.

Edited by orpheus at 22:53:28 11-10-2012
  • MikeP 11 Oct 2012 23:13:45 2,049 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @orpheus Excellent summary. Anyone reading that might've thought you've written guides to games before. *cough*

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• overcorpse 11 Oct 2012 23:55:23 298 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Man the flying in this does my head in,it just doesn't compute with me.

Now i'm a bit of a diva in the planes in Battlefield 1943 so i went out today to buy Xbox controller specifically for this game and i just cant to seem to set up the controls for it.Now i haven't got any money left in game as i've spunked it all on ships that have ended up planted into various buildings or mountains.

Anyone got a decent guide to setting up the controls for flying?

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• peteb 12 Oct 2012 08:35:07 219 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The official wikia for PlanetSide 2 was just announced. Great info here for beginners and vets alike -

http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/PlanetSide_2_Wiki
  • MikeP 12 Oct 2012 09:59:11 2,049 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    overcorpse wrote:

Now i'm a bit of a diva in the planes in Battlefield 1943 so i went out today to buy Xbox controller specifically for this game and i just cant to seem to set up the controls for it.Now i haven't got any money left in game as i've spunked it all on ships that have ended up planted into various buildings or mountains.

Orpheus is a decent pilot, he may be able to help. I know that personally the default sensitivity settings feel all wrong. Not helped by the fact I fly RC planes and the controls in this just dont work the same way.

• ecu 12 Oct 2012 17:05:41 77,234 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @orpheus Good stuff, thanks. Managed to play for a couple of hours, had a great time. Gave up when my gun disappeared, then it spawned me and I couldn't move.
  • orpheus 12 Oct 2012 17:41:01 1,008 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    overcorpse wrote:

Sadly you can't atm, xbox pad especially is completely borked right now, and only a very few joysticks work. This will be improved, but for now:

Learn on a slower plane - you will crash the fighters a lot when learning the flight model. I learned in the Lib/Gal and had a much easier time of it. Set vehicle mouse sensitivity to about 80/90/100 depending on preference. I often find myself holding space down for extra vertical when evading/fancyflying as it gives you the chance to hug canyons etc.

WS = accel/decel
    AD - throttle
    Spacebar & C button = vertical thrust/downward thrust.

Basically A & D turn so slowly it's almost strafing; you should be turning and yawing with the mouse (which takes a bit of getting used to). All the planes *essentially* handle the same up to a certain point; beyond that it's just degrees of mobility - so if you learn by making large, sweeping turns in a Liberator, then start to turn tighter with the mouse as well, you'll soon see how it translates to fighters (just much more agile).

Do this in safe territory as Libs at the front-line are cannon-fodder atm. In a way it's easier to think of the flight model as one applying to helicopters rather than jets - if you slow right down with S, and hold space (while keeping the plane horizontal), you'll hover. Pointing the nose down/back while hovering will always impart momentum, in the same way it would with a heli.

Hope dat helps.

Edited by orpheus at 17:41:36 12-10-2012

Edited by orpheus at 17:42:02 12-10-2012
  • ecu 13 Oct 2012 19:29:05 77,234 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    New patch is up.
  • overcorpse 14 Oct 2012 13:25:41 298 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @orpheus That's a great write up.Being pig headed i jumped on Battlefield and had a few games of Air Superiority just to nick the control layout and it works in Planetside for the most part,its just missing the most important feature which is pitch.How they forgot that for joysticks and controllers is beyond me.

I've given up for now,my brain knows what to do but my hands refuse to cooperate(to many years as a console player) but i'll keep an eye on it to see if they patch it in.

Cheers.

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• Mr-Brett 14 Oct 2012 13:47:45 12,878 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When your mag rider runs out of ammo is it essentially useless or is there a way to get more ammo?

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Errol 14 Oct 2012 14:13:21 12,539 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Get to a base with an ammo resupply tower.
  • Mr-Brett 14 Oct 2012 17:26:42 12,878 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, I've never seen one but I'm sure i'll find it next time.

I know it's still in beta but it's one of main issues with the game is not being able to work out what to do or how to do it. Which is probably a carry over from PL1 since everyone knows that if you update your game and fix the clunky and unaccessible bits then it's 'dumbed down' :)
    It feels like I'm doing things but I have no idea if it's right or not, there's just lots of stuff happening. While I'm having a bit of a moan, I shot a dude (an infantry) which a tank about 5 times and granted they were not all direct hits but were still within a metre or so of him and he just took it, fired 2 maybe 3 rpgs into me and killed me. Which is pretty messed up.

I'm liking the game overall, it's got an amazing sense of scale and when there's loads of people in a fight it's damn impressive. The confusing clunk and lag does dampen my enthusiasm though.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• orpheus 14 Oct 2012 19:09:36 1,008 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Usually around the larger vehicle spawns there are towers twice or so the height of the one-story buildings with a symbol for three bullets at the very top. Drive close to one for ammo refill*.

*Ground only; aircraft rearm at landing pads.
  • SClaw 16 Oct 2012 14:22:55 826 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Another big patch coming.

Changing weapons to certs is a positive move in my opinion. Aux is going to be completely ditched. Lets just hope they get the costing right though...

And another island. Too soon maybe? I'm a bit worried they are just trying to get this thing out of the door now, even though it's obviously got a long way to go still.

Fingers crossed for Thursday (when they do some live stuff from some show or other).
  • Progguitarist 19 Oct 2012 14:56:01 10,508 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm building a gaming rig for this...Looks amazing. Does it require a very powerful machine to run?
  • orpheus 19 Oct 2012 15:19:36 1,008 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I'm building a gaming rig for this...Looks amazing. Does it require a very powerful machine to run?
    I'm running a core i5 750 @ 3.6 overclock, 8 gig 1600mhz RAM and a GTX 570 1.3gig. Game runs at 1900x1200 @60fps with most stuff on high when there's not much going on, drops to around 30 when there's big fights happening.

I reckon you'd want at least a core i5 2500k, seems more CPU bound than GPU at the moment.
  • MikeP 19 Oct 2012 17:02:46 2,049 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    By comparison

I'm running a Q6600 overclocked to 3.0, 8 gig of DDR2 RAM and a 1gig ATI 6850.

I can run in 1920x1080 with most things high and get 50ish FPS in empty areas, 25ish when it gets hectic.

It's definitely CPU bound for me, if I turn off the overclock the FPS tanks. One thing to note is that they don't seem to be using the cores particularly efficiently at the moment.

I suspect there will be a lot more performance to be squeezed from the code, but I'd agree that an i5 2500k would be a good place to go. If nothing else, it should see you right for loads of stuff for a good long while.

• MrWonderstuff 19 Oct 2012 17:29:17 1,954 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I'm running a core i5 750 @ 3.6 overclock, 8 gig 1600mhz RAM and a GTX 570 1.3gig. Game runs at 1900x1200 @60fps with most stuff on high when there's not much going on, drops to around 30 when there's big fights happening.

I reckon you'd want at least a core i5 2500k, seems more CPU bound than GPU at the moment.
    I have the same setup and it runs smoooooth. Don't even notice framerate drops when it all goes tits up.
  • MikeP 19 Oct 2012 17:36:14 2,049 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I'm going to get a new PC in the New Year - running this well will be a minimum benchmark. Have you seen how good it looks on Ultra settings?

http://www.evcitadel.com/community/threads/how-to-activate-the-ultra-high-settings.30967/

• MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Oct 2012 17:39:16 39,379 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I got a beta key for this from EG and didn't redeem it - is it still any use? If so - does anyone want it?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• orpheus 19 Oct 2012 18:04:26 1,008 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    I have the same setup and it runs smoooooth. Don't even notice framerate drops when it all goes tits up.
    I get a slightly choppy, frame-rate dropp-y kind of feel to it even at 60fps with Vsync on with that setup. Maybe my overclock needs tweaking.
  • ecu 19 Oct 2012 19:37:30 77,234 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Feels way too soon to be launching in a months time, unless the open beta is a much older build.
  • DFawkes 19 Oct 2012 20:54:01 23,814 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to agree. As much as I really enjoy it, it still very much feels like a beta, with lots of things that need tidying up before launch.

I suppose they want it out as soon as it's mostly playable though, to start making them money.

Edited by DFawkes at 22:03:19 19-10-2012

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• onestepfromlost 19 Oct 2012 22:12:30 2,108 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I need more games like i need a hole in the head, but this is appealing to me. So i still need a beta key or is it just open to all now?
  • MikeP 20 Oct 2012 09:29:58 2,049 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @onestepfromlost You still need a key. Let me know if you're struggling to get one, I have a spare.

• Nasty 20 Oct 2012 14:50:23 4,749 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have one too if anyone needs one.
  • MMMarmite 12 Nov 2012 21:31:39 1,090 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have 6 keys available if anybody still needs/wants one for themselves or a friend
  • captbirdseye 12 Nov 2012 21:52:20 5,282 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What's the release date on this?
  • Page

of 65 First / Last