Planetside 2 Page 49

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• RedSparrows 24 Jun 2013 10:39:17 22,648 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I must say, playing the alerts yesterday evening was quite disheartening - no matter what you did, you couldn't win.

I had much more fun taking on the NC in a small skirmish afterwards. That's where the game shines for me: the great big mass brawls are incredible to witness, but for gameplay, I like the squad vs squad in a small outpost kinda deal.
  • binky Moderator 24 Jun 2013 10:42:14 9,626 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bleh wrote:
    One way could be to make a lock on creating new TR chars on servers which have a huge imbalance but I guess that would be an other extreme.
    I thought that, but then if they create the accounts and don't play then it's a bit harsh to other TR players, no?
  • Widge Moderator 24 Jun 2013 10:45:51 13,561 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TR does seem to get the biggest peaks.

http://sirisian.com/planetside2/population.php?world=10&timezone=0&allfactions=false

What is this talk of the NC behaving "weirdly"? Is it in a state where the TR are actually being more organised and active against Vanu and nothing but Vanu, so it feels like you are getting whomped down on? Perhaps they have picked Vanu as the smallest side and thereby target them repeatedly.

Edited by Widge at 10:47:14 24-06-2013

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• binky Moderator 24 Jun 2013 10:46:54 9,626 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @RedSparrows Those sort of nights (again, on PS1) were always ok with regards to getting the XP up though. Does that still apply?
  • RedSparrows 24 Jun 2013 10:52:52 22,648 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh yeah - XP is not a problem (other than losing alerts, meaning TR generally get 66-100% of all available XP from them) - even in a losing fight you can rake in XP from kills etc.

It's just sucky to always be losing, and losing because you're swamped, not because they outplayed you - although tbf, the TR do seem organised as well, it's not mindless.
  • Shikasama 24 Jun 2013 10:59:38 6,830 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I must say on Woodman it all seems to be fairly even, apart from the de facto air superiority of the TR due to their daft rocket launchers.
  • DUFFKING 24 Jun 2013 11:14:12 7,256 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Woodman is filled with whining from TR/NC about the VS overpopulation, particularly during alerts at the moment. They whined before the overpop of course, since the alliance between VS outfits on Woodman wiped the floor with everyone anyway. Now they're just more annoyed.

Edited by DUFFKING at 11:14:45 24-06-2013
  • RedSparrows 24 Jun 2013 11:15:21 22,648 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye, I made a secret alt on Woodman for when Miller was in nuts mode, and I noticed VS dominate pop there.

Hurrah!
  • Shikasama 24 Jun 2013 11:23:59 6,830 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DUFFKING I must say I haven't noitced it, the pie charts always seem to be roughly even with 30% 30% 30%

Then again play almost exclusively on Esamir so maybe I'm just not in the right area.
  • orpheus 24 Jun 2013 16:24:02 1,000 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Hmm it kinda sucks to read your experience with player numbers. Back in the PS1 days I was part of the TR and often felt outnumbered, but never to the degree where I felt out diminished the game.

Are there things in place to at least try and appease situations like this?
    Only on a per-continent basis - think it's 666 max players per faction on a continent. This isn't a problem during a single-continent Alert, e.g. capture all Tech Plants on Indar, it becomes a problem largely during global alerts like 'capture all Biolabs'. The overpop faction has the extra numbers to steamroll the two weaker populated continents and keep a sizeable force on the well populated continent, so they generally insta-win, or grind down any successful assault.

There's not even a cooldown timer for swapping between characters on a server, so once it becomes clear who the alert winner is going to be, they get a noticeable pop boost for the remaining time and after the alert as everyone swaps to alts for the XP, compounding the problem even further.

I think we'll be focusing on good fights for the rest of the week and ignoring any global alerts, see if that helps a bit. Binky, have you tried PS2 yet? Despite the above, it's still very good.
  • binky Moderator 24 Jun 2013 16:59:43 9,626 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've not tried it as I'm an iMac guy these days. Just watching this thread with interest as it may well swing my vote for a next gen console.
  • RedSparrows 24 Jun 2013 18:27:35 22,648 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wait, people actually switch characters on the SAME server?

Traitors! Swines!

I can't play anything but 1 character. I'd rather play and lose and earn the XP than switching between 3 in the hope of a big bonus.

Just had a 7 Techlab Alert. TR 5, NC 1, VS 1. But then, VS launch two sneak attacks - and take two back from the TR on Amerish!

Only the second one converts LITERALLY ONE SECOND AFTER THE ALERT TIMER ENDS. Should have been 3/3/1, ended 4/2/1. Was 3/3/1 only 1 second later.

BAAAH
  • orpheus 24 Jun 2013 19:40:54 1,000 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ha! We can still stick it to em :D
  • JiveHound 24 Jun 2013 19:59:37 2,435 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    So, finally managed to get the game working in English and joined RedSparrows after realising I was initially in another server.

He left me to dick around while he went to grab something to eat.

Let's just say I'm completely bewildered. It's a of a scale that is so much larger than I'm used to. I flew a plane and crashed it. Then I found a jeep station and drove to the marker, then proceeded to drive off a ravine.

Going to take me a while to get this I think.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Shikasama 24 Jun 2013 20:13:42 6,830 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We;ve all been there brother. After my first hour of getting shot to fuck I put the game down and didn't pick it up till 6 months down the road. Now it is comfortable one of my favourite games of all time
  • orpheus 24 Jun 2013 20:32:59 1,000 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    So, finally managed to get the game working in English and joined RedSparrows after realising I was initially in another server.

He left me to dick around while he went to grab something to eat.

Let's just say I'm completely bewildered. It's a of a scale that is so much larger than I'm used to. I flew a plane and crashed it. Then I found a jeep station and drove to the marker, then proceeded to drive off a ravine.

Going to take me a while to get this I think.
    I'll get your outfit invites sorted tonight since you're playing with Red - it'll help a lot being in teamspeak (so download TS3 if you've not got it) and being able to hear what the objective is etc. Couple of days with us and you'll be up & running, no worries. :)
  • RedSparrows 24 Jun 2013 20:34:13 22,648 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    We;ve all been there brother. After my first hour of getting shot to fuck I put the game down and didn't pick it up till 6 months down the road. Now it is comfortable one of my favourite games of all time
    It's not one of my favs, but this is almost EXACTLY my experience.

Totally confused, pissed off, gave up.

6 months later, turn back on, BOOM! Only play this atm.
  • orpheus 24 Jun 2013 20:40:52 1,000 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah think the initial experience is very much a case of overwhelming the player with _stuff_. That said there are new tutorials etc now which look quite decent, certainly more than we got at launch. Even in beta there was a huge sense of clusterfuck as various stuff changed from useless to massively OP overnight. Looking back, the game's come a long way. I've been playing for something like 8 months now (7 from launch and at least one month of beta), quite scary really.

Only paid for my Alpha Squad membership and about 15 on SC so far too, and I've got nearly all the kit I could ever want. BR75 now!
  • PearOfAnguish 25 Jun 2013 11:28:00 7,286 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This finally clicked for me last night. I gave up early on in the beta but after ploughing through the initial learning curve I'm actually starting to make progress, do something useful, and get a KD ratio above 0-something.

I'm still not sure exactly what's happening most of the time - I've no idea what the numerous icons mean or how bases are captured - but following other big groups and just playing support roles is fun.

Had a nice moment yesterday when I was among the last survivors in a base being overrun by TR. Jumped in a MAX and managed to cause a load of trouble for the other side with the help of an engineer who kept repairing and rearming me.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 11:29:40 25-06-2013
  • Shikasama 25 Jun 2013 11:30:44 6,830 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As a medic/harasser pilot (pilot is much more accurate than driver), I take my low KD ratio as a point of pride.

Often I prefer playing 'Can I res that guy before I die?' more than shooting :D
  • PearOfAnguish 25 Jun 2013 11:49:49 7,286 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is it worth subscribing? It's not too pricey and seems like you get some okay bonuses to go with it.
  • RedSparrows 25 Jun 2013 12:47:33 22,648 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The past couple of sessions I've had on this have been awful - I suddenly can't hit a barn door, am always looking the wrong way, make all the wrong choices, etc etc.
  • PearOfAnguish 25 Jun 2013 13:43:22 7,286 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The price of the weapons is pretty surprising. As RPS pointed out you're paying the cost of an indie game just for a single gun.
  • orpheus 25 Jun 2013 14:23:04 1,000 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Pear - as mazty says it's not really worth it, unless you're on a server with high queues. The monthly SC is nice I guess but you're better off just buying a chunk of SC in one of the double/triple SC days that come around every so often. Weapons aren't quite so expensive that way.

Certs are easy enough to come by now that it won't take all that long to grind stuff either really. Can do 250+ certs a session easy now if you know what you're doing.
  • PearOfAnguish 25 Jun 2013 14:36:39 7,286 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah, well, you see I have no idea what I am doing.
  • orpheus 25 Jun 2013 14:45:58 1,000 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Ah, well, you see I have no idea what I am doing.
    Which server are you on? I've a shit memory & can't remember if you ever hooked up with the BADs or not! If not, roll a VS on Miller and we'll show you the ropes :)
  • PearOfAnguish 25 Jun 2013 15:37:50 7,286 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm Vanu on Miller.

It's an awful lot of purple.
  • Shikasama 25 Jun 2013 15:44:23 6,830 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I fucking hate fighting Vanu Maxs
  • Page

of 64 First / Last