Planetside 2 Page 5

• Page

of 65 First / Last

• DFawkes 30 Sep 2012 20:50:29 24,071 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still enjoying it lots, can't say it's changed much in the short time I've been playing - I've probably not been around long enough to see any major changes. That, and I've been making more of an effort to play in a team.

For a good while I was playing it Team Fortress 2 style, with a MAX and me as an Engi valiantly holding one of our bases for hours under heavy attack. Tanks, aircraft, infantry, all fell to his guns as I kept him in top condition! The enemy weren't all that organised though, until near the time I logged off where they got their act together and had a couple of fighters covering a group of tanks and a flying transport (Guardian? can't remember the name).

I've been having more fun with the certs too, but they are a bit of a mess just now. I understand they're trying to test high level skills, but it seems a bit meaningless without seeing how people develop over time. Not sure how you could really successfully test that though. I'll probably keep playing as a learning experience, I'm borderline competent now :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• orpheus 30 Sep 2012 20:56:59 1,011 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    It's not been any fun since the cert dump. No one is working together anymore and because they've got issues with a lot of things it's become annoying to get things done tactically. Warp gate shields are broken again, allowing fire to pass through them and the single person capping situation is totally out of control now it's easy to fast acq cert a fighters. I'm pretty much done with this until the wipe next week when I'm sure thing will be sane again.
    This week was always going to be chaos, so much of the added stuff hasn't been tested before. I was surprised to find both my characters still showing up on the login screen with the same BR - I take it they only wiped certs/etc?
  • DFawkes 30 Sep 2012 21:17:17 24,071 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's next week (Thursday I think) the main wipe comes in, as well as the new map Esamir. Should be good stuff. Are we just going the same race and server or are we going elsewhere? Not that I've actually actively played much with other EGers, but it's the same army so it still counts :p

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• orpheus 30 Sep 2012 22:05:48 1,011 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah of course, getting mixed up. It'll still be Herse/Vanu, yeah.
  • Nasty 2 Oct 2012 23:40:35 4,748 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone else getting a Joint Ops vibe from this? Plays nothing like what I remember from PS1.

Huge fun though, even with just ad hoc squads.
  • Tabasco 3 Oct 2012 00:08:11 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure there are many in front of me but if anyone has a spare key I could have I'd be mighty chuffed...
  • SClaw 4 Oct 2012 09:00:02 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Nasty You're right. The last two patches sort of broke the PS1 feel... but didn't really make it unfun.

I think things will settle down this weekend, and I'm hoping the second island they open will have a few more defensive bases rather than the open ones we've got at the moment
  • orpheus 4 Oct 2012 15:46:40 1,011 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    I think things will settle down this weekend...
    Going to be anything but settled - with the Esamir patch, the number of servers is being reduced to two (one US, one EU) for load-testing. It's going to be absolute carnage to begin with!

Also NC lose their bolt-action sniper and get a semi-auto one like everyone else (thank fuck), and all classes get access to two weapon sidegrades. Should be a good patch.
  • Nasty 4 Oct 2012 17:34:49 4,748 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    the number of servers is being reduced to two (one US, one EU) for load-testing.
    :o
  • Nasty 4 Oct 2012 17:34:59 4,748 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • orpheus 5 Oct 2012 18:58:46 1,011 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    According to twitter, another round of keys are due to go out soon to all existing beta players, so hopefuls should register their interest now!

Sclaw - yeah you're right, the megacerts have killed it a bit, especially as we know there's a wipe coming. That patch is now due at 7am GMT to 1pm GMT, btw. Post wipe though, I'm looking forward to getting back into it properly - should be much better with higher population servers.
  • DFawkes 5 Oct 2012 19:19:20 24,071 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really can't wait for that. It's nice as is, but I want to see it packed to the gills! Games with the EG/RPS guys have been the best I've seen, it'd be great to go up against similar numbers as well as having back-up all the time.

New map should be good too, sounds like the expanses between locations should mean longer between captures, so if you go in and take something you won't have to worry about a tide of soldiers and a lot of back and forth. Sounds like it should play out a bit slower, though it remains to be seen if that's the case.

• Lovemoose 6 Oct 2012 20:23:04 999 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just got a mail with another beta key to give out, so first come first served...

Where's everyone off to now that the wipe's happened? Haven't had a chance to play much.

twitter: @chockey

• Cosquae 6 Oct 2012 20:53:27 1,243 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Likewise got a key for the beta should anyone want it.

Personally, going to let this game slip. Having played it and tried to get into it, not really my kind of thing. Hope whoever gets my beta key gets more fun out of it than I did ;)
  • SClaw 7 Oct 2012 00:17:19 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I won't even mention the crap which happened after the patch...

But with the new patch I thought to myself, I'll just try another faction even if I am a loyalist. No harm. So I tried the NC for quite a while and... well... try it yourself. Virtually no recoil. Damage seemed higher, but I think that was because every damn bullet hits where you point it. It's totally unbalanced.

Now I know why my TR heavy kept dying to NC light assault.

Vanu seem better at close range (they are definately very accurate at long ranges, but you lose so much power with each shot it's almost pointless), but medium and long you might as well forget it against NC guns.

Kah. Hope they fix that, even though they are totally denying it on the forums.
  • Megapocalypse 7 Oct 2012 00:20:05 5,518 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've love one of those keys if they're still going. :)
  • overcorpse 7 Oct 2012 01:20:36 305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Same here,would love a key if anyone has one spare.

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• Cosquae 7 Oct 2012 08:09:14 1,243 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Megapocalypse Sent key in PM. Pass it on to the next in line if someone has already given you on.
  • Lovemoose 7 Oct 2012 08:32:42 999 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @overcorpse PM'ed you :)

twitter: @chockey

• Nasty 7 Oct 2012 08:51:59 4,748 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also have a key if anyone needs one.
  • MrWonderstuff 7 Oct 2012 11:55:53 1,969 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Nasty Always up for a key-played the original and would love to play this.
  • Nasty 7 Oct 2012 13:10:55 4,748 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MrWonderstuff

PM'd you the key
  • MMMarmite 7 Oct 2012 14:42:54 1,108 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Tabasco - just crossing your name off the list, PM'd a key ;)
  • PapaSmurf630 7 Oct 2012 15:02:49 246 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone else have to keep redownloading and reinstalling this game every time they log on?

I don't know if it's a bug or a part of the beta...
  • orpheus 7 Oct 2012 15:53:02 1,011 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SClaw wrote:

Now I know why my TR heavy kept dying to NC light assault.

Vanu seem better at close range...

Yeah, NC weapons are just... not tried all three since the most recent patch, but even before the patch there were big differences. I found Vanu the hardest, then TR, then NC in terms of 'weapon difficulty'. It also explains why, whenever I meet a non-Vanu in a field/etc at about 100 yards, we both drop to crouch for a better shot, and the cunt wipes me out before I take him to half shield! ;) Vanu are better at close range though, but you only have an advantage out to about 10/20m, beyond that you lose a lot of damage.

Also LOL Esamir. Not logged in today yet, but I'd be surprised if NC weren't still camping both TR and VS into their warpgates.
  • DFawkes 7 Oct 2012 16:42:24 24,071 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PapaSmurf630 wrote:
    Does anyone else have to keep redownloading and reinstalling this game every time they log on?

I don't know if it's a bug or a part of the beta...
    It does try to update for me every time, but only for a second. The thing is, it won't launch if I don't have at least 8 Gigabytes of extra hard drive space free despite not needing to install any more! It's a bit irritating given my hard drive is tiny.

• Tabasco 7 Oct 2012 17:21:13 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MMMarmite wrote:
    @Tabasco - just crossing your name off the list, PM'd a key ;)
    Thanks again man, dling now :)
  • orpheus 7 Oct 2012 17:27:04 1,011 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New players remember to post your character so we can add you!
  • overcorpse 7 Oct 2012 23:26:12 305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lovemoose many thanks for the key.

After spending a good hour and a half running around like a headless chicken i am in awe of this game.I spent a good 15 minutes just watching a battle rage around a base.I've just bought myself a new gaming PC and i cant believe it took me this long to get back into the PC gaming scene if this is the stuff i've been missing.

Anyways i'm new to Planetside.I tried the original but EvE Online was my game of choice back then.So my question is which faction to pick,what are the strengths and weaknesses and what are the majority of EG'ers playing,because i will need someone to hold my hand for awhile :)

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• Mr-Brett 8 Oct 2012 00:10:50 12,896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    New players remember to post your character so we can add you!
    Add to what?

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Page

of 65 First / Last