Planetside 2 Page 40

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• Clive_Dunn 13 Feb 2013 22:26:12 4,782 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What SClaw said, it's rubbish apart from killing stationary Sundys when no-one else is around.
  • TheRealBadabing 13 Feb 2013 22:26:26 1,329 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I quite liked it. Gives engineers some long range poke against armour.

Never going to be as effective as a heavy's launcher but it's a lot more useful than the anti-infantry version. Wire guided too which I like for the risk/reward aspect.

Not having a "shoot-me-here" shield is a big plus in my eyes as it is less of a targeting beacon for sniping wankers.
  • SClaw 13 Feb 2013 22:40:08 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It doesn't change the fact that the engi needs the spitfire. It doesn't have to be good - it's just a deterrant, like a mine.
  • TheRealBadabing 13 Feb 2013 23:25:24 1,329 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree that the engi was a lot better in PS1 but unfortunately by using client-side hit detection in PS2, a load of stuff like that probably isn't going to make it. On the bright side, it does mean that hacks are much easier to make. Hooray for glitching insta-death!

One thing that is starting to concern me though is that all the new weapons (and pretty much all of the vehicle secondaries) are common pool. AV turrets, decimators, annihilators...even the SMGs are basically the same.

Planetside was always a game about asymmetric warfare, not the same guns with different bullet colours. Playing NC I fucking hated the VS with their disco balls and the TR grenade spamming MAXes. Don't get me started on Magmowers and lock-on spam if I went anywhere near a TR squad.

Thing is I didn't take to the forums and whine about it because a) I am a grown up and b) the devs didn't listen to whining, prefering to tinker rather than make sweeping changes. They still fucked up. Amazingly people still played even though each faction had distinct situational advantages.

I just hope that in the quest for microtransactions they don't rush to homogenise for the sake of "balance". Would be very boring if the only weapons anyone used were grey NS flames of the week. Might as well sell the engine to Acti-Blizzard for CoD if we are effectively all the same.
  • SClaw 14 Feb 2013 08:35:29 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think it's intentional. I know they were resource limited during development so couldn't create a lot of different models for vehicles and weapons, and a lot of this "new" stuff looks very much like things they simply didn't have time to finish before launch (the AI only engineer turret always seemed odd to me).

PS2 isn't the game is should or could be... but it is fun (hacks and preformance aside, but those are momentary irritations). And I think they'll get there eventually.

It's worth remembering that when PS1 launched (I was in at the start, but not towards the end) it was pretty samey as well; the big differences took quite a while to breed into the game. Most of the early differences were very situational or just cosmetic.
  • Pompeybear 19 Feb 2013 18:37:20 454 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any action tonight?
  • orpheus 19 Feb 2013 19:33:43 1,007 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pompeybear wrote:
    Any action tonight?
    Very likely! Hop on, start a squad if there isn't one!
  • Pompeybear 19 Feb 2013 19:44:06 454 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    May need to throw some points at it , and anybody else having issue with squad beacons. they all show 24 days bedfore I can spawn on them?
  • Pompeybear 20 Feb 2013 11:06:25 454 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Eurobob stepped up to the plate, well done sir. Had a good blast.
  • orpheus 20 Feb 2013 22:06:28 1,007 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hang on, 24 days?! Definitely something wrong there!

It's worth everyone certing the squad beacon imo - that way if a squad member is at a decent fight, he can be given SL for a minute to drop a beacon to get the rest of the squad there fast. That's really all you need to run a simple squad in the absence of myself or Bob. All UBADs should be starting a squad if there isn't already one up when they login - you'd be surprised how fast a squad can fill up once it's going!
  • Pompeybear 21 Feb 2013 08:24:23 454 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I joined a few random squads and all showed 24 days before I could spawn on them . It was very weird.
  • orpheus 21 Feb 2013 09:15:37 1,007 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Pompeybear Can only imagine that was a bug. Never heard of it happening to anyone else though. Let me know if it keeps happening!

I've been getting on later than usual recently but the outfit is still going strong. We've made some good connections with other outfits and should be doing a bit more platoon stuff, so its a good time to drop back in!
  • Pompeybear 21 Feb 2013 10:31:21 454 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    23 days till I can use spwan beacons . Awsome. :-( http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/ive-literally-waited-for-12-days-without-being-able-to-use-spawn-beacons-fix-it.94363/
  • orpheus 21 Feb 2013 18:32:13 1,007 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shit, that sucks dude! Hopefully they find a fix soon.
  • Duffking 21 Feb 2013 19:20:20 7,332 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pompeybear wrote:
    23 days till I can use spwan beacons . Awsome. :-( http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/ive-literally-waited-for-12-days-without-being-able-to-use-spawn-beacons-fix-it.94363/
    It's a fairly common bug. Unfortunately don't think there's a fix.
  • Duffking 22 Feb 2013 02:09:21 7,332 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Server merges soon.

Woodman is not being merged.

Which is going to leave my server as the least populated server in the game bar the AU one.

FUCKS SAKE
  • SClaw 22 Feb 2013 09:13:42 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it a problem? I'm never spoiling for a big fight on Woodman.

I do find the server to be a bit Outfit heavy though; most TR squads are open Outfit squads. Which is fine... but they all use TS rather than the perfectly servicable in-game voice. My own Outfit is pretty cool, but they always seem to be on when I'm not.
  • Gl3n Moderator 22 Feb 2013 09:21:34 5,681 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Planetside Players is up as well. - Stats!
  • SClaw 22 Feb 2013 10:53:11 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    On another note anyone starting to notice a lot of low ranked tools in the game? Ive reported a ton of low ranked players for diskish behaviour recently (TKing mostly, but also silly shit like intentionally standing in front of your guns), so Im starting to suspect theyre sock puppets or something.
  • Duffking 22 Feb 2013 11:02:41 7,332 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @SClaw been on esamir or amerish lately? Used to be just amerish dead. These days esamir you won't even find an enemy platoon detected during peak hours. Its just indar, capping the same bases over and over.

I wouldn't mind if they just deleted the crown actually. Would make indar a million times better...
  • madwlf 22 Feb 2013 13:02:17 74 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone playing this over the weekend? Got the weekend off and feel like some ps2 action.
  • timetraveler 25 Feb 2013 07:53:40 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's my favourite F2P game. But i have sometimes troubles with running it.
  • Pompeybear 25 Feb 2013 09:17:42 454 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The crown and crossroads are a cess pit , actually had some good fights on amerish and esamir over weekend.

Playing with infiltrtaors at minute.
  • SClaw 25 Feb 2013 12:05:48 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A quick and dirty solution to the crown issue would be to reduce XP by 50% for anyone not in a territory connected to their own. There would be no incentive to hold the crown; or at the very least it would force a broadening of the line to the surrounding bases to make sure it doesn't get cut off (unlikely cordination given the crown crowd).

In fact I might even go suggest that on the forum.
  • orpheus 26 Feb 2013 02:21:09 1,007 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hide yo kids etc:

http://planetside2.eu/teasers/261-important-announcement-to-our-players

TL;DR - some proseibensat accounts may be affected, so just in case, etc etc. Check your login and change pw if you need.
  • SClaw 26 Feb 2013 09:03:16 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm so glad I stayed with SOE and a US account. Fuck those guys running the EU accounts.
  • Duffking 26 Feb 2013 12:18:15 7,332 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    A quick and dirty solution to the crown issue would be to reduce XP by 50% for anyone not in a territory connected to their own. There would be no incentive to hold the crown; or at the very least it would force a broadening of the line to the surrounding bases to make sure it doesn't get cut off (unlikely cordination given the crown crowd).

In fact I might even go suggest that on the forum.
    Thus making defending a base even more worthless than it already is. The hex system has already made defending a base nigh on pointless: can't take a base? Doesn't matter, just zerg all the shit around it and come back later. It's why any large battle for an Amp Station/Biolab/Tech Planet is ultimately meaningless (well, maybe not tech plants), because after a few minutes some outfit is just going to ghost cap all the surrounding bases instead.

Frankly I think the crown should just be removed. If people stop playing as a result, fuck those people. The game doesn't need them.

Also, warpgates will be rotated at the end of the month. So Vanu get northern Indar.
  • SClaw 26 Feb 2013 12:42:57 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That statement makes no sense. Defending becomes more important, or at least it drains away a pointless fight over nothing and prevents 70% of a faction from camping one meaningless spot while they get warpgated.

But my idea wasn't great; it was just doable with a quick patch (fighting in hotspots already increases your XP, so I assume the coding to decrease it would be simple).

Removing the crown will just move the grindy fight elsewhere. Probably to impact site if they delete the whole mountain (the only way to really "remove" that trouble spot).

The issue is metagame related (there isn't one). The game needs ANTs. The game needs a resource beyond hexs (I, for one, am in great favour of needing to recharge your sundy AMS, ammo and armour for example - that would discourage random zergs and require defence - no connected base nearby, no recharge for you!). The game needs autoturrets or doors (or something needing more than one class to cap) to prevent solo ghost capping. But that's long term stuff.
  • Duffking 26 Feb 2013 13:34:32 7,332 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    People like big fights, the only time you get a big fight is when a defense finally happens. If people start getting less xp for defending the location thats been cut off, they'll all leave. The battle ends. It may be a fight over nothing, but ending that fight will create even more groups of people ghost capping everything.

People keep asking for more defensible bases, but while the hex system exists, you're never really going to get big battles as you can just ghost cap around everything.

Removing the crown would spread people out I reckon. Its position in the middle of Indar combined with its defensibility is causing the problem. It's hard to cross from SE to SW and the cliffs seperating N from S make everything naturally converge in the middle.

Amerish is the best continent IMO because the road system naturally guides zergs along specific routes like the old lattice system... shame nobody plays there.
  • SClaw 26 Feb 2013 13:49:35 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Amerish is wonderful. It's the only place you (used too) be able to get random big battles in the middle of nowhere just because you were funnelled together by the terrain. Indar is a bag of shit; I solo there for a few cheap certs but my Outfit only plays on Amerish now.
  • Page

of 64 First / Last