Planetside 2 Page 38

• Page

of 63 First / Last

• Progguitarist 2 Feb 2013 18:04:51 10,420 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Is this the patch that optimizes the game?
    It has optimisations in it, including the addition of a draw distance slider. Nearly all patches have had some performance boosts in some form or another; waiting for the 'magic patch that fixes everything' means you'll be waiting a long time. If you're having performance problems, what system are you running?
    Oh, I've not been having any problems. The lowest FR I get is about 30 fps when things get VERY busy. Just would be cool if that was a but higher of course.
  • orpheus 2 Feb 2013 18:15:08 1,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heh, well fingers crossed it will be :)
  • Progguitarist 2 Feb 2013 18:21:57 10,420 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Could we do a list of forum/in-game names?

I never know who I'm talking to!

Me = ViciousHead
  • Errol 2 Feb 2013 18:35:52 12,466 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Errol - I play on Woodman (member of FVK).
  • Gl3n Moderator 2 Feb 2013 19:04:09 5,387 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Me = Corgale on Miller

The map suddenly feels fresher just with that warpgate change.

Edit: Holy poop an SMG equipped Infil is dangerous.

Edited by Gl3n at 19:09:18 02-02-2013

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• TheRealBadabing 2 Feb 2013 23:04:30 1,299 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK, so the Magrider was a bit good before but they have absolutely gutted it with the manoeuvrability changes. The fact the Prowler now has a main gun that fires a round over twice as fast as even the old Saron (you know, the reason the MR was any good in the first place) means that it is absolutely pointless spawning an MBT.

I really hope that this is an unintended side effect of another change because right now Magriders are embarrassing.
  • andytheadequate 2 Feb 2013 23:14:17 8,121 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is the saron now useless?
  • TheRealBadabing 2 Feb 2013 23:51:59 1,299 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Saron is fine(ish), it's about 20% slower projectile speed. Annoying considering the buffs the other tank guns got but not the end of the world.

Sticking it on a Magrider (with combat chassis 3) that can't climb even a small incline is the problem.
  • orpheus 3 Feb 2013 02:35:40 1,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mag strafe etc issues are a bug, it'll be fixed.

SMG is a beast. Infiltrators are going to be very nasty now.
  • Progguitarist 3 Feb 2013 09:53:22 10,420 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was having loads of fun last night until crashy mc crasherton showed up :(
  • Clive_Dunn 3 Feb 2013 10:19:10 4,778 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great work from SOE this in rushing out a patch that was clearly untested.

They should just bite the bullet and rollback, but given the competency levels we've seen so far they probably don't have a method of doing so without everyone having to download the entire client.
  • El_MUERkO 3 Feb 2013 11:08:41 16,975 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Clive_Dunn while it might suck for vanu till the patch it an over-nerf if the mag rider might be good for everyone. If players who left because they thought VS were overpowered come back an feel more powerful they may stick around, then in a couple of days the mag will get some of its maneuverability back, balance us restored and everyone is happier

Edited by El_MUERkO at 11:09:36 03-02-2013
  • TheRealBadabing 3 Feb 2013 11:52:32 1,299 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks like the hot fix has fixed some aspects like the magrider strafing (not tested it yet) but broken others like base turrets and lightning guns. /slowclap

For those that think ruining the magrider might be good for the game (I'm looking at you El_Muerko, stop fidgeting), try to remember the tanks are the only empire specific vehicle with any real identity. They are meant to be different and have some unique advantages. I'm worried that SOE wants to homogenise everything.

The official forum whiners go on about how magriders k/d is so much better than other tanks but neglect to mention if those stats reflect cert point spend or whether the fights had full crews with improved secondary weapons.

I see a lot of Vanguards and Prowlers with one occupant. They are easy kills (for our pimped out and fully manned Magrider) but as soon as we encounter a Prowler with a vulcan secondary gunner at anything but extreme range it's game over.

Let's not forget that (at least on Miller) the VS rarely capture a continent. I'll admit our yellow chat brigade seem to be clueless most of the time but if tanks were the deciding factor and ours were so overpowered, why don't we steam-roll the game every night?

This sort of heavy-handed "balancing" can only hurt the game. Look at nearly every server right now - VS are practically at their warpgate on every continent. That's pretty disheartening for even amazingly uber gaming gods like me, so imagine how many casual players will give up over the next few days.
  • Pompeybear 4 Feb 2013 08:27:32 454 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:

Me = ViciousHead
    Me = Pompeybear
  • andytheadequate 4 Feb 2013 09:47:50 8,121 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The game was almost unplayable for me last night. My fps was all over the place and I think I was lagging as well.

Might try turning down some of the graphic settings but I was absolutely fine before with nearly everything on high.
  • SClaw 4 Feb 2013 10:35:45 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Patch Review!

SMG Awesome killy. Huge improvement for LA and Infil who like to get up in your face. Kind of makes the shotguns useless though.

HUD Colours Completely confusing but much better. Its easy to tell at a glance whats going on, but my age old instincts to shoot red things (Im TR) is a problem.

Outpost Spawn Rooms I love them. Much better. However, some bases are now insanely hard to take because of spawn room positioning (TR Alloys was always a bitch, but those giant spawn room windows and the easily defensible cap room are silly).

Tower Improvements Looks nicer and there is no real camping the spawn doors anymore (I especially hated the top floor camp) but no harder to take. Not even slightly.

Base Changes Did I miss something? Apart from the new backdoor on the spawn room I dont see anything else? I think I must have missed the tunnels somehow? Anyway, no change to cap speed particularly.

Base Rotation The former Vanu position on Indar where the TR is now is fucking terrible. How did you guys ever play from there? The terrain is shit. Also that tank magnet hole at the outpost near your warp gate; the little valley which looks like you can drive through but just sucks your tank into a hole and blows you up. Annoying. But I think the warp gates should be rotated monthly its fun to see other sides of the map.

Anti-Air XP Why? I mean I love it but why did you create this epic farming method? Its only 30XP for a good hit but in a burster or with HA rockets I can munch up a huge amount of XP without any effort at all. Making XP from popping planes was not hard to begin with.

Lag Are you shitting me with the slide show? Its awful now in some areas.

Turrets All broken. I havent found a single base turret which shoots now (it fires but nothing comes out) and it seems to be 50/50 whether a tank turret will fire. I think this is something to do with lag, but its annoying as hell. Game killing almost.

Sound Is it just my imagination or did the game get more bass-y? I swear some of the guns sound a little louder now. Not the Vanu torches, obviously, they still sound like shit.
  • Bleh 4 Feb 2013 10:51:16 241 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I haven't played much since the new patch arrived due to other things but the few things I have seen where pretty nice.

HUD colours are indeed very nice but needs getting used to.
    I did notice some changes to the base. The teleport rooms in the bio labs got windows. So now when you teleport into one you get shot at immediate. Also the compound ground isn't as flat anymore. As an infantry you get some more protection running around.

Don't like the fact as a medic that you need to target someone in order to see once health if he didn't call out for a medic.
  • Widge Moderator 4 Feb 2013 11:58:41 13,467 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pompeybear wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:

Me = ViciousHead
    Me = Pompeybear
    Me = fourfourfun

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• DUFFKING 4 Feb 2013 13:17:36 7,221 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bleh wrote:
    I haven't played much since the new patch arrived due to other things but the few things I have seen where pretty nice.

HUD colours are indeed very nice but needs getting used to.
    I did notice some changes to the base. The teleport rooms in the bio labs got windows. So now when you teleport into one you get shot at immediate. Also the compound ground isn't as flat anymore. As an infantry you get some more protection running around.

Don't like the fact as a medic that you need to target someone in order to see once health if he didn't call out for a medic.
    You mean the ones you teleport into from the satellite bases? You can shoot out of those windows, but not in.
  • RedSparrows 4 Feb 2013 13:47:02 22,300 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry I have not been on much. GW2 has arrived and taken my MMO spot. It's much more of what I want in an MMO. PS2 is great fun, and I will be back on soon - just the patch has put me off firing it up! Oh well.
  • Widge Moderator 4 Feb 2013 13:51:44 13,467 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had loads of ##UI. over the interface, so have deleted ready for a reinstall.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• orpheus 4 Feb 2013 14:20:37 1,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SClaw Tunnels are definitely there, at Amp Stations and Tech Plants. The entrance is quite well hidden in plain sight though - just run to each four corners of the main spawn room and you'll see a ramp leading down. They have horizontal jump/pull pads in them for quick navigation, which is cool as hell, and have popup points throughout the facility (which can still be camped, but you can't effectively camp *all* of them).

Edited by orpheus at 14:21:07 04-02-2013
  • Progguitarist 4 Feb 2013 15:00:59 10,420 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I will be on tonight, hopefully there's a group happening.

I need to bust out my new SMG!
  • El_MUERkO 4 Feb 2013 15:03:02 16,975 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TheRealBadabing I've always believed the magrider needed a nerf, however some of the nerf is a bug and not on the patch list so it will be undone thus de-nerfing the magrider. As for the changes, we'll wait and see, the Magrider was outperforming the other tanks massively.

As for the Sauron nerf, it was needed, it's still a straight firing weapon, now you just have to lead moving target a tiny bit.

As a VS player you're not seeing how the previous balance was already hurting the game, NC populations were decimated, some may have switched factions but the population decrease suggests more than a few left the game.
  • orpheus 4 Feb 2013 15:52:51 1,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dunno about that Merko, on Miller at least the NC have been resurgent for weeks now, holding Esamir and doing a good job of it. As much as anything, it's faction tactical differences and the new warpgate rotation that's changed things in that regard.

The Mag's only advantage was its mobility - it has less armour and does less damage than both the other faction MBTs, and it needs that mobility due to the rather obvious fact that the driver cannon is front-mounted with very poor traverse. The TR have the best infantry farming tank in the game AND one of the most powerful secondary turrets (that ridiculous minigun thing), to buff that at the same time as nerfing the Mag just boggles the mind.

Not tried a Mag since the supposed hotfix, so not sure if it's been fixed or not. Hope so though!

Edited by orpheus at 15:53:43 04-02-2013
  • TheRealBadabing 4 Feb 2013 18:56:04 1,299 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Show me a tank driver that complains about always getting killed by Magriders and I'll show you a player that doesn't have a gunner and always uses HE rounds. That's the difference; a Magrider is normally equipped for hunting tanks (ok, primarily sunderers) while everyone else concentrates on farming infantry.

Unfortunately the guy who gave the tank kill/death stats that everyone uses to complain didn't initially provide enough info. Although he has now clarified the stats, the misleading original figures have become the basis for 2/3 of the player base calling for nerfs every time they are killed.
  • orpheus 5 Feb 2013 21:04:35 1,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stutter fix is apparently now live.
  • SClaw 5 Feb 2013 22:51:43 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Magrider is nothing compared to a prowler with full anchor and AT rounds (you don't need a second gunner). You can fire and reload so fast - especially with the new shell speed - that you'll kill a mag way before it can jink away. At full tilt long range it only takes five solid front hits to blow them away - and you can spit five shells in less than 10 seconds.

The magrider is only a pain the ass for infantry really, because it can easily dodge the slow ass rockets. It's the worst MBT by FAR but it's the most annoying during general play because it (used to) to be able to get to silly places and was annoying to kill on foot. But that's all.

The prowler is far and away the best tank - but only when complete static (mobile it's a bag of shit). The vanguard is the best all-arounder, but I rarely see them because them NC love their reavers.
  • Bleh 6 Feb 2013 11:46:27 241 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:

You mean the ones you teleport into from the satellite bases? You can shoot out of those windows, but not in.
    I could swear they where shooting at me. Also there where no force fields in the windows which suggest they couldn't fire into the room. But than again everything happened so fast I'm not sure they where hitting me.

Yesterday I finally had some more time to test the patch. Although I like the visual changes I'm not impressed with the technical side. Had a crash and it seemed I wasn't the only one. Before the crash I was in a full platoon when I got back only half a squad was left. Which was a shame because we where just assaulting a base.

Afterwards when we finally made a new assault on the base I got some weird graphical glitches and even had some hick ups where the game wouldn't respond for a few seconds. After dying 2 times because of this I left the game.
  • SClaw 6 Feb 2013 12:09:20 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Same here. A new patch did go out yesterday, but not tried it yet.

A small hotfix was deployed recently to address an outstanding performance issue that players may have noticed. There should be a reduction in frame rate "hitching" which may improve gameplay.
  • Page

of 63 First / Last