Planetside 2

• Page

of 63 First / Last

Previous
  • SClaw 17 Sep 2012 15:36:53 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So yeah. I totally pissed away 30-quid to get into a beta via the Alpha Squad thing. And itís the best game ever. Itís definitely a beta still (quite a few bugs, many of them hilarious) but holy crap holy crap holy crap I want to play it more right now.

This is the sort of game you can only describe with anecdotes.

I joined a squadron running Liberators (bombers) and hopped into the gunnerís seat, which is sort of like a very basic version of the AC-10ís main gun. By squadron I mean five of them, each rocking three players. So off we go, zooming around, and then someone squeals into voice chat that an NS tank unit is coming right towards us Ė an almost impossible event on a map which takes a good ten minutes (or more) to fly across. Anyway, we get into a neat line andÖ holy shitÖ thereís a column of twenty tanks just rumbling along like fat juicy hens beneath us. So much fun.

Sometime later everyone decided to have a Galaxy party. The Galaxy is a giant transport plane which flies like a house; and when there are nine of them wobbling along in the hands of spastics who canít fly itís absolutely a sight to behold. As we approached a base some douchebag clipped me, his physics bugged out and sent him spinning over his arse (in his giant transport plane) while I bounced off a building, accidently hit the exit key and somehow ended up alive on the ground as pieces of my plane rained down around me. Awesome.

Yet another time I was back in the Liberator with two guys, this time on the tailgun, and we spent a good two hours just tanking all over the map caning the ever loving shit out of anything on the ground.

And last night I spent a good few hours with some top, top Finnish guys. We were cruising around as a full squad in a Galaxy slamming bases and fading out like commandos. Iíve never seen such a level of coordination and cooperation from random people before. Thereís nothing like eleven guys popping out of transport, zerging a base, then popping back into the transport and vanishing like it never happened. Great, great fun.

So yeahÖ itís pretty freakiní good. Exactly what I wanted from PS2 in fact.

You should all play it immediately.
  • MikeP 17 Sep 2012 16:19:26 1,800 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds brilliant, and I would so like to join in the fun. However, I'm not forking out for it because I have my doubts about how well it would run on my machine.

I applied for the Beta ages ago and haven't heard anything yet. It's starting to get on my nerves!

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Dirtbox 17 Sep 2012 16:24:13 77,656 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think I would have paid tbh, as far as I can see you don't get anything you wouldn't otherwise and it takes all the fun out of levelling up. Plus there are numerous key giveaways every week in various places. You just have to keep your ear to the ground.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• StarchildHypocrethes 17 Sep 2012 16:42:02 25,519 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is indeed bloody good though.

I'd wondered how it would cope on my machine MikeP, an Ati 5770 & 4 gb of RAM, but it sounds like they'd recently done a lot of work to improve it's general performance and it's run without a hitch at 1080p since I got my key.
  • MikeP 17 Sep 2012 18:51:28 1,800 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GamesWizzard

Where is the aforementioned Steam group? Or, in slightly more vigorous terms. WTAF! I am a LOLLI and I demand my key! WHO DO I DEMAND A KEY FROM?

Thanking you in advance.

• MikeP 17 Sep 2012 18:54:31 1,800 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    It is indeed bloody good though.

I'd wondered how it would cope on my machine MikeP, an Ati 5770 & 4 gb of RAM, but it sounds like they'd recently done a lot of work to improve it's general performance and it's run without a hitch at 1080p since I got my key.
    That sounds reassuring. I have a 1 gig 6850 in mine, and I'll be running at a slightly lower res than you.

• 4gate 17 Sep 2012 19:08:46 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    @GamesWizzard

Where is the aforementioned Steam group? Or, in slightly more vigorous terms. WTAF! I am a LOLLI and I demand my key! WHO DO I DEMAND A KEY FROM?

Thanking you in advance.
    Anyone who spent the summer inside flying spaceships rather than outside riding bikes knows there is an LFR thread :)
  • MikeP 17 Sep 2012 19:12:37 1,800 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    4gate wrote:
    MikeP wrote:
    @GamesWizzard

Thanking you in advance.
    Anyone who spent the summer inside flying spaceships rather than outside riding bikes knows there is an LFR thread :)
    Touchť, fucknuts :p

I have gone begging for a key, like a bearded Oliver Twist.

• 4gate 17 Sep 2012 19:14:45 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Me too :)
  • BillMurray 17 Sep 2012 19:17:27 7,692 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've done plenty of begging on the planetside twitter account which is apparently the best way to get one but I've had no luck so far.
  • Rusty_M 17 Sep 2012 19:24:11 4,639 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I never played the original, so I will wait for general release of this.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• SClaw 17 Sep 2012 20:07:12 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I could have just waited... but whatever. It's only money. I've pissed 30-quid away on worse than that.

Thinking about it PS2 (and 1 back in the day) is just one of those games which makes me feel like I'm about ten, wanting to babble on about nonsense me and my new "friends" did today at the playpark. In this age of overblown "storytelling" in games it's nice to have something - very much like Skyrim - where you can tell your own stories, often completely by accident.

It's still got a long way to go but I'm sure this game, when it's done, is going to be on my harddrive for years and years - pretty much like the last one.
  • WrongShui 17 Sep 2012 21:20:09 6,609 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    I've done plenty of begging on the planetside twitter account which is apparently the best way to get one but I've had no luck so far.
    Fork out £30 you tight arse and join me in some jetpacking C4 dropping shenanigans!
  • Dirtbox 17 Sep 2012 21:24:49 77,656 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Makes me feel like a right smug bastard having got a key for nothing.

• WrongShui 17 Sep 2012 21:29:45 6,609 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We should organise a server to form up on after the next character wipe for fun times with buggies and tanks.
  • BillMurray 17 Sep 2012 21:39:04 7,692 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @WrongShui I'm quite poor!
  • Metalfish 17 Sep 2012 21:42:34 8,818 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Very looking forward to this.
  • Dirtbox 17 Sep 2012 21:45:05 77,656 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What faction is everyone anyway, I chose the red guys after glancing over the general perks and disabilities. They seemed the most average all-rounders, but I didn't scrutinise them or anything, I just wanted to get into the game and crack some heads asap.

• Metalfish 17 Sep 2012 22:00:27 8,818 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The RPS/PC gamer guys were always traditionally Vanu.

Wasn't it originally red = bullet spamming rambo types yellowblue = accurate hit 'em hard and purple = pew pew space laz0rs?

Is that still the case?
  • MikeP 17 Sep 2012 22:31:43 1,800 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Dirtbox If you here of any other giveaways would you be so kind as to post them in here? I know that Reddit screwed up the last one. All the ones I find are obvious scams, unfortunately.

• Dirtbox 17 Sep 2012 22:57:06 77,656 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sure. http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/ is the smartest place to keep an eye on.

• SClaw 18 Sep 2012 08:28:34 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TR (red) is for winners. Purple loving Vanu is for ladyboys. Blue are American capitalist pigdogs.
  • MikeP 18 Sep 2012 09:57:08 1,800 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GamesWizzard Cheers!

I am looking forward to lots of high quality derpage.

Edited by MikeP at 10:10:30 18-09-2012

• WrongShui 18 Sep 2012 14:59:23 6,609 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    What faction is everyone anyway, I chose the red guys after glancing over the general perks and disabilities. They seemed the most average all-rounders, but I didn't scrutinise them or anything, I just wanted to get into the game and crack some heads asap.
    I went with the blue guys for the slower firing but harder hitting guns.
  • MMMarmite 18 Sep 2012 15:44:53 1,013 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I went with the blue guys for the slower firing but harder hitting guns.
    I also went with the NC...

...and may have a spare beta key should somebody want it.
  • WrongShui 18 Sep 2012 15:50:06 6,609 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Give it to BillMurray, he looks like the villain from Where's Wally.
  • Metalfish 18 Sep 2012 15:52:45 8,818 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I of course am interested, but make sure a reg gets it.
  • orpheus 18 Sep 2012 16:09:19 1,000 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe we should make this the official EG begging thread! I'm in need of one as well, but Bill got here first this time :D
  • Page

of 63 First / Last

Previous