Cinema ninjas

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Sep 2012 18:31:36 36,283 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, not ninjas appearing on the big screen. But rather men in black morph suits hiding in the cinema and making sure people shut the fuck up:

http://www.slashfilm.com/wtf-london-theater-employing-volunteer-ninjas-to-confront-rude-moviegoers/

And here we thought the Alamo Drafthouse was zealous about rooting out cell phone use in theaters. But even their strongly worded PSAs and strict ushers seem downright passive compared to what one theater in London’s Leicester Square is doing.

The Prince Charles Cinema is said to be employing volunteer “ninjas” to regulate good behavior among the audience. The term “ninja” is being used loosely here — they’re really more like glorified ushers in black skintight bodysuits — but whatever you want to call them, it’s certainly an interesting way to keep the peace. More afer the jump.

The so-called ninjas are ordinary cinephiles who agree to “guard” screenings in exchange for free admission. When they spot a patron talking, texting, throwing popcorn, kicking seats, or otherwise engaging in rude behavior, they swoop down to give the jerk in question a talking-to. One of the program’s recent targets, moviegoer Abdul Stagg, recounted his experience:

I normally hate noisy people in cinemas, but I got a call from my friend just as the movie started and thought I could get away with taking it. The last thing I expected was two completely blacked-out people suddenly appearing by our seats and give me and my mates a warning to shut up. It was actually pretty terrifying at first, but then I realised it was a bit of a laugh and a great way to make it clear what I was doing was having an impact on those around me. It certainly made me hang up and shut up for the rest of the film.
    The scheme came about when Morphsuits co-founder Gregor Lawson found himself fed up with the inconsiderate audiences he ran into at the theater. Lawson’s Edinburgh-based company is known for their skintight full-body “zentai” suits, and he wondered if he could use his products to help solve the problem.

I’m a big fan of going to the cinema, but there’s an unspoken code of conduct when you’re watching a movie that some people just don’t understand. Then when some fans were discussing being ninjas in their Morphsuits on our Facebook page I had a eureka moment. I thought I’d find a cinema and see if we could bring a light hearted taskforce to the aid of movie fans.
    Absurd as the program seems at first glance, it makes an odd sort of sense. The problem isn’t just that some moviegoers are jerks, but also that the people around said jerks are often reluctant to confront them about their behavior. Having a little ninja army dedicated to calling these people out seems like a tidy and entertaining way to solve both parts of the issue. And all at no cost to either theaters or patrons. Now, who wants to be the first to bring this program to the U.S.?

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• CosmicFuzz 15 Sep 2012 18:35:10 21,244 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm all for people who have their phone on/rustle sweet wrappers/chat to their friend getting a shuriken in the face.

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• Deleted user 15 September 2012 18:35:33
    Sounds like a great way to be beaten up while wearing a gimp suit.
  • GuiltySpark 15 Sep 2012 18:45:24 6,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've never got the rustling sweet wrappers thing. As much as I fucking hate people not shutting up, this is just naturally going to happen when they sell SWEETS directly outside.

Get bent.

• Findus 15 Sep 2012 18:51:14 138 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The culture of cinema going is completely different stateside. I remember seeing Rush Hour 2 in Downtown Disney in Orlando. They whoop they holla they clap and cheer its was a complete culture shock. So a rustling sweet I'd rather put up with rather than a loud "fuck yeah" when the bad guy dies

Edited by Findus at 18:52:05 15-09-2012
  • Deleted user 15 September 2012 19:03:15
    I think I'd rather drink piss than go to a cinema on the states, it sounds awful.
  • the_dudefather 15 Sep 2012 19:16:49 8,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I saw a Michael Moore film in the cinema in the states, lots of whooping and 'YEAH YOU TELL THAT ASSHOLE' style shouting

Made it more interesting at least

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• localnotail 15 Sep 2012 19:19:28 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This sounds like a great idea. Not sure how well it would play outside the more arthouse cinemas, unless they were licensed to smack down perps.

I worked as an usherette when I was in sixth form & we used to sit on the films at a little seat at the back and tackle wrongdoers, armed with our trusty torches, but that was at the dawn of time before mobiles were common, let alone pocket-sized. Mobile use in cinemas should be punishable by death, or at least maimage.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Derblington 15 Sep 2012 19:22:35 20,972 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've seen quite a few films in cinemas in NYC (about 10) and I've never had that.

Cinema's in Stockholm, now they are a different story. Firstly, the theaters themselves are about 10 years behind the UK, they have people to introduce the films unless it's been on for a while, the audience talk and cheer and they always applaud at the end of the film. And everything has subtitles.
  • ecureuil 15 Sep 2012 19:23:03 76,023 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I think I'd rather drink piss than go to a cinema on the states, it sounds awful.
    It's really hardly any different to this country. I suppose it depends on the film and the showing though. I've seen around 20 films at the cinema in the USA, usually just the popular blockbuster (The Dark Knight, Wall-E, 300) and some more obscure, limited release stuff (Moon, A Scanner Darkly), and there's been no problems with the audience.

I've never heard whooping and hollering during the film, but you do get standing ovations when the credits roll if you go on opening night for a blockbuster, and it does depend on the quality of the movie. I went to the midnight opening of Transformers 2 and the cinema was packed out, nobody clapped at the end cause everyone knew it was shit. TDK got a great ovation though.

Generally though, I've found the experience to be pretty much the same, although the pre-movie stuff tends to be a bit more entertaining in the States than over here.
  • Deleted user 15 September 2012 19:28:24
    Ovations to no-one, that's amusing. So it's a bit of a lie about the US audiences then? To be fair, I wouldn't go to a cinema in any country ever unless it's something I really wanna see, fucking horrible places, been about 6 times in the last ten years.
  • ecureuil 15 Sep 2012 19:31:49 76,023 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    So it's a bit of a lie about the US audiences then?
    I'm sure it happens in some places across the US. But yeah, the cinema experience between the two countries has been about the same for me.
  • ZuluHero 15 Sep 2012 19:35:19 3,666 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm all for it. I took my daughter to see happy feet 2 and there were only a handful of ppl in the showing , all dotted about. Soon after the film started there were 2 people getting it on in one of the wings. When the girl steadled the guy and shortly after started moaning along with the whole row setting go move rythmically, I left, much to the confusion of my little girl, who was so engrossed in the film thankfully to notice.

I complained ofc and a few people and the manager went in but we didn't watch the rest of the film. When I watched them come out the girl looked like a prostitute and the guy was rough as hell. Maybe it was. Cheaper then a hotel, who knows. Anyway, while I'm ok to tell people to shut the hell up, I really did know what else to do in that situation, ESP. With my little one there.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Sep 2012 21:33:01 36,283 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Mobile use in cinemas should be punishable by death, or at least maimage.
    I read that as "marriage", thought it was a little harsh.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• dominalien 15 Sep 2012 23:36:21 6,742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    I worked as an usherette when I was in sixth form
    ... Which of your forms are you in now?

PSN: DonOsito

• beastmaster 16 Sep 2012 00:11:11 10,179 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watch any Robert Rodriguez film where they have an audience reaction track on the audio. They are fuckung bonkers!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 16 September 2012 01:05:15
    ecureuil wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I'm sure it happens in some places across the US. But yeah, the cinema experience between the two countries has been about the same for me.
    I can confirm that fuck all has happened in the myriad cinemas I've been to here. No applause, no shouting back at the screen, no crap like that.

I have experienced it at some chavvy cinema in Peckham though. They actually used the phrase "it's all going on up in here" at a particularly violent scene. Think it was Die Hard 4.0
  • the_dudefather 16 Sep 2012 02:02:13 8,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I'm all for it. I took my daughter to see happy feet 2 and there were only a handful of ppl in the showing , all dotted about. Soon after the film started there were 2 people getting it on in one of the wings. When the girl steadled the guy and shortly after started moaning along with the whole row setting go move rythmically, I left, much to the confusion of my little girl, who was so engrossed in the film thankfully to notice.

I complained ofc and a few people and the manager went in but we didn't watch the rest of the film. When I watched them come out the girl looked like a prostitute and the guy was rough as hell. Maybe it was. Cheaper then a hotel, who knows. Anyway, while I'm ok to tell people to shut the hell up, I really did know what else to do in that situation, ESP. With my little one there.
    Weird, I heard a story about someone going to a screening of Mr Popper's penguins and people in the front row started fucking

What is it with Penguin movies?

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Mola_Ram 16 Sep 2012 02:57:32 6,243 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That is pretty weird. I jerked it but good during Sister Act. Could be related.
  • mal 16 Sep 2012 04:39:22 21,968 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Price Charles Cinema is famous for still doing the sing-a-long-a Sound of Music and Rocky Horror. Though to be fair ushers in gimp suits are probably de rigeur in the latter.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• localnotail 16 Sep 2012 04:46:14 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We used to run Rocky Horrors at Wycombe 6, great fun, although hard to watch the film "straight" now. One of my best mates at uni was someone who recognised me from compere duties there. We realised in freshers' week that we'd seen each other in our underwear before we'd even met.

Edited by localnotail at 04:52:30 16-09-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Lotos8ter 16 Sep 2012 06:56:21 2,324 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm old fashioned and I always clap a good film. I've never shagged a penguin in the wings though.

My favourite audience participation was for L.A Confidential in Harlow, when a guy a few rows away at the ending pronounced "HE'S STILL ALIVE!" . Quite right too.

Fiat Lux

• ZuluHero 16 Sep 2012 07:40:44 3,666 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wonder if there are baby booms when BBC show a documentery about penguins? Hmm...
  • mikew1985 16 Sep 2012 08:35:52 12,069 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I think you're first post was spot on, in my experience most normal movies its no different to here but I went to TDK on opening night in Boston and to say the crowd were boisterous would be a bit of an understatement.  It was actually good fun though.
  • graysonavich 16 Sep 2012 10:06:14 6,802 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aaaah cinema. I miss the 90s.
  • FWB 16 Sep 2012 10:23:05 41,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I saw Star Wars Episode 1 in the States.Cheering clapping and yelling throughout. Especially loud when R2D2 first turned up.

As for other shows I've seen there (and in Canada)... they're definitely louder than here, but it doesn't really disturb you.
  • Moshbag 16 Sep 2012 10:50:08 106 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Having lived in the US for four years and going to the cinema regularly, there was always a lot more annoying noise and talking than anything I've experienced in the UK. It was all worth it though when I saw Troy, and at the bit where a guy appeared out of the Trojan Horse, there was a loud gasp from the two ladies behind me. Spoiler alert indeed...

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off!

• Deleted user 16 September 2012 10:59:52
    meme wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I can confirm that fuck all has happened in the myriad cinemas I've been to here. No applause, no shouting back at the screen, no crap like that.

I have experienced it at some chavvy cinema in Peckham though. They actually used the phrase "it's all going on up in here" at a particularly violent scene. Think it was Die Hard 4.0
    This would actually make my year hearing this.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next