Galaxy Note 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Sunno 13 Sep 2012 15:08:05 156 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is nobody else excited about this phone?

I've had the HTC Desire HD for 2 years now and it's been an amazing phone. But due an upgrade in October and i think this is the way i'm going to go. Had a play on the Galaxy Note a month or two ago and really liked it.

I am a bit dubious about the plasticyness of the Samsungs though. After having a metal phone with some weight on it i think it's something that i really like/want in a mobile.

The specs on this phone are insane. I guess it is a crossover phone/tablet (i refuse to use the term 'phablet'. it makes me want to do a vom). But seeing as i don't make many calls but am constantly consuming media/browsing/facebook/email/txting it seems like this is the phone for me.
  • Deleted user 13 September 2012 15:14:20
    Love my Note.

Stunning screen but fucking awful plastic case. So I'm not sure how I feel about the update as the build quality looks the same.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 13 Sep 2012 15:16:37 6,654 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've got a note 1, and tbh, with hindsight I wouldn't buy another one. I mainly bought it because I thought I'd be able to browse without needing to zoom but it's still too small, so it's really pointless being so big imo, and other than the size and the gimmicky stylus, in terms of function it's essentially a Galaxy S.
  • Sunno 13 Sep 2012 15:34:13 156 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, the Note 2 looks like it is a similar build.

If i don't get this i'm probably going to be getting the S3 because as you said they are similar. But the Note 2 has better specs like quad core for example. I'm pretty surprised there's not a better camera in it to be honest.

How have you guys felt about the overall size of it? Has that ever been an issue?
  • Rhythm 13 Sep 2012 15:47:00 2,463 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Love my Note 1 but wouldn't consider a Note 2, mainly thanks to Jelly Bean and the lower screen res. After trying out a Nexus 7 the notion of having screen estate taken up by permanent icons is nuts
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 13 Sep 2012 15:48:35 6,654 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You get used to it for general phone use. It's not too big, and once you start using it, it's fine. I don't know enough about the specs to advise on that, but given the choice again, because the web takes precedence over the phone, I'd probably get a slightly cheaper smartphone and get a google nexus 7 tablet.

can't speak for you though.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 13 Sep 2012 15:50:01 6,654 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Heh, wondered if somebody else would mention nexus 7.
  • Razz 13 Sep 2012 16:22:06 60,765 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Agreed. My love my Note, but the build quility is lackluster and Samsung have made some odd design decisions. Iv'e never used my S-Pen. Sometimes I forget it's even there. I''ll propbably go with a WP8 next year and a Android gmaing tablet like the Archos Gamepad, but not that specifically. I'm NEVER buying Archos again

Edited by Razz at 16:22:47 13-09-2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Sunno 26 Sep 2012 10:48:00 156 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Galaxy Note 2 finally has a release date of Monday 1st October. Can't wait to try one out.
  • Razz 26 Sep 2012 11:00:34 60,765 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So tempted, but I promised myself I wouldn't touchanother Samsung phone.
    Must. Wait. For. Nokia. 920.

• THFourteen 26 Sep 2012 11:07:51 32,857 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My mate is getting one of these next week. I enjoy my note, but much like Razz i never use the S-Pen. Its great for daily commuting, but it doesnt replace a larger tablet.

as i dont really play phone games, i am not fussed about the new quad core processor, the one thing i would like is the nicer screen, battery and apt-x bluetooth
  • Carlo 26 Sep 2012 11:07:57 17,948 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm in exactly the same situation as you Sunno. I have a HTC DHD which I have JellyBean 4.1.1 on and am eyeing up the Galaxy Note 2 as my contract is basically finished.

But as a Nexus 7 owner, I'm wondering if I should get a Note 2, or just get a very cheap SMALL smartphone that can blue-tooth tether to the Nexus 7 which will then enable me to use the Nexus for internet etc.

Tricky!

PSN ID: Djini

• Razz 26 Sep 2012 11:10:21 60,765 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Get a WP8 phone! Best of both worlds!

• sport 26 Sep 2012 11:11:25 12,544 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WAIT TILL MARCH!
  • THFourteen 26 Sep 2012 11:11:40 32,857 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    any 5" plus models been announced?

i may well try WP8 if they support spotify.
  • Sunno 26 Sep 2012 11:57:54 156 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What is it you guys find so attractive about the new windows phones? i've never used one really,so don't know too much about the operating system.

I'll definitely check one out before i make my final decision.

Also never had a Samsung. I have an issue with the plasticyness. Anything else i should be aware of?
  • THFourteen 26 Sep 2012 12:20:07 32,857 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't drop the Note or the screen will crack. I put mine in an ugly rubber case which adds bulk, but raises the sides so that it cant land flat on its face.

Other than that, i've rooted my phone to get rid of all the samsung crap they preinstall on it such as TouchWiz.

No real attraction to WP8, its just nice to try out new infrastructures, i had an iphone 2, 3G and 4, over the last 8 years, and just recently moved to Android which is nice, but the appstore is wanting (IMO). Interested to see if WP gets the same level of dev attention that iOS does.

For example the Spotify app on android is a load of shit, however on iOS its pretty damn good. iOS version also gets updated once or twice a month, whereas android version gets updated once or twice a year if you are lucky. Also (for example) FIFA 13 came out yesterday on iOS. Not sure when we'll see it on Android.
  • Razz 26 Sep 2012 12:26:41 60,765 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For me, the attraction is pulling myself out of the Android Vs iOS war and I'm rather smitten with W8 RP, I'm interested to see how the interoperability(what a odd word) will work between the phone and the desktop.

• Sunno 26 Sep 2012 12:56:27 156 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @THFourteen Isn't that the same for pretty much any phone though? They are making better and stronger glass fronts, but they seem to be more towards scratch resistance and such, not drops.

I'll definitely be having some sort of case for it.

I think i'll check out the Nokia online later. I've watched countless footage of the Note 2 and it's my fave so far. Checked out the new LG Optimus G too. That was nice. A lot of the latest phones are a bit uggerz though for me.
  • yegon 26 Sep 2012 13:50:45 5,161 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd only recommend a Note/Note 2 if you're going to put Cyanogenmod or equivalent on it. Not only is Touch Wiz butt ugly, ime it's buggy as hell and had pretty poor battery life. CM9 utterly transformed it. Probably spoiled by how clean iOS is, my initial reaction to getting the Note was wow, it's like a laptop with a tonne of nasty bloatware that you'll never use.

If I ever get another Android phone it's Nexus or bust I've realised.
  • ElNino9 26 Sep 2012 13:58:56 13,286 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very true. My S3 on 3 is absolutely full of bloatware shite.

Watched videos of Jelly Bean on the Nexus and 'pure' Android does look lovely and clean. I'd love to have had the confidence to root it myself and blast JB on. Touchwiz is nasty.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Stranded87 26 Sep 2012 14:01:17 855 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @yegon Surely just use a different launcher? You don't even need to root it to do that and then you get rid of the ugly mess that is TouchWiz. Though if bloatware is genuinely slowing things down then a quick root and freeze of the applicable apps should sort it.

But I do love Jelly Bean, if Google get their act together and release a pure Android phone that's not gimped in some way (eg in the case of their most recent one poor camera and no micro SD slot) then I'd choose that every time.

Edited by Stranded87 at 14:02:57 26-09-2012
  • Sunno 26 Sep 2012 14:01:44 156 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What bloatware are we talking here? Is it really that bad?
  • Kay 26 Sep 2012 14:26:10 17,761 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's so bad about TouchWiz? It looks nice and works well on my S3. I'd quite like to try "clean" Android on the phone someday, but I'm happy with the way things are on the phone at the moment.
  • Stranded87 26 Sep 2012 14:45:49 855 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Kay To be honest I never used to have any problem with TouchWiz, in fact prior to ICS I preferred it to pure Android or any of the launchers available on Google Play. But Apex and Nova launchers blow it away and with Jelly Bean I'm absolutely in love with pure Android.
  • yegon 26 Sep 2012 15:48:43 5,161 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Samsungs 2.3.6 was fine on the Note, but their 4.0.x updates seemed to bring as many bugs as it fixed. The killer was the battery bug that disabled full sleep, meaning it lost 3-4% an hour while idle. The bug survived a couple of 4.0.x updates, although its probably been fixed now. That's what motivated me to bung cm9 on there and it improved everything immeasurably.

Nova and Apex are quite effective, I was very impressed by them initially, but after putting cm9 on there I realised that they were (excuse the pun) skin deep and ultimately placebos. Only with a clean rom did I finally think, yup, its better in so many ways than iOS. JellyBean and CM10, which I'm yet to install, will no doubt increase that further, but for me personally I'd still marginally prefer jailbroken iOS. Don't sue me, I'm no fanboy, just for what I use it for I'd prefer it (although ios6 is easily the worst update ever, I'm hoping I won't have to wait forever for jailbreak to hit the 5, I really miss my tweaks :(
  • monkehhh 26 Sep 2012 16:28:20 3,267 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Very tempted by one of these.. used to Android after 1.5 years with a budget ZTE Blade on a CM7 nightly, but I want something big and shiny.
  • crashVoodoo 30 Sep 2012 11:50:52 3,853 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Has anybody seen any decent contract deals on one of these yet ?

Best I've found so far are

02 via Tesco for £36pm free handset, unlimited mins and texts + 1gb data

Orange via Phones4U for £36pm, £49upfront, 600 mins, 3000 texts + 1gb data and 2 free swapables (giving me access to Deezer and unlimited streaming music)

Similar to above but a free handset for $41pm with 1200 mins

Edited by crashVoodoo at 11:51:23 30-09-2012

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Deleted user 30 September 2012 14:06:22
    Love my note but hate the cheapness of the build. Same phone with I phone build standards and I think it would be perfect.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous