• Page

of 18 First / Last

• SuperCoolEskimo 11 Sep 2012 16:18:53 10,449 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    David Weir should win SPOTY.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 16:51:34
    roz123 wrote:
    Drogba deserves it for being the first African player to score 100 goals in the premier league, winning loads of stuff for Chelsea including the Champions League this year, for his charity work and role as a UN ambassador.
    Usain Bolt has already won it twice.
    If you were born in Saudi Arabia, would you still be a Chelsea fan?

/mangle
  • Trane 11 Sep 2012 17:06:12 4,060 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    I wasn't disagreeing with the gist of the post, I want Wiggins to win and believe that he should. More that the guy seemed blissfully unaware that 2 out of the last 4 winners have been cyclists, last year was Cav FFS!
    A bit late in spotting this, but I'd like to point out I was not blissfully unaware at all. The point I was trying to make was that I feel that Cav should have won it the year before, when he originally broke the british record for stage wins. He got it the year after.

That vote for Hoy four years back was mainly down to him winning three golds and seriously being in the public consciousness due to that, rather than a recognition of british cycling IMO.
    It's personality, not 'how far has a sport progressed 2012'.
  • elstoof 11 Sep 2012 17:21:04 9,986 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm, Cav should have won for breaking the British record of Tour de France stage wins - something that ony matters to and can only be competed for, by British cyclists - and not the year after for his World Championship victory and Points Classification win in a Grand Tour - where he had to compete with the rest of the world.

I think I disagree with you there bro.
  • LetsGo 11 Sep 2012 17:22:26 6,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Murray has no chance getting in the top 3 due to his remarks on England, the public won't vote for him.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 17:23:26
    Because they're stupid.
  • LetsGo 11 Sep 2012 17:24:07 6,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's democracy!
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 17:30:16
    :(
  • Gruff 11 Sep 2012 17:37:41 3,086 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Didn't Ryan Giggs win it one time

Wasn't aware he had a personality
  • DSR3 11 Sep 2012 17:39:33 268 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Murray should win
  • Jono62 11 Sep 2012 17:48:11 15,123 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Michael Phelps will win it because of his total Olympic medal haul. My personal pick would be David Rudisha. That 800m final was incredible.
    Rudisha's win was awesome. He'd get my vote for overseas personality too.
  • Vortex808 11 Sep 2012 17:51:04 8,842 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    It's personality, not 'how far has a sport progressed 2012'.
    I was merely trying to point out that I had possibly put my original point across badly, and you had assumed I was oblivious to Cavendish winning SPOTY, which I wasn't.

elstoof wrote:
    Hmm, Cav should have won for breaking the British record of Tour de France stage wins and not the year after for his World Championship victory and Points Classification win in a Grand Tour - where he had to compete with the rest of the world.

I think I disagree with you there bro.
    As mentioned I was trying to point out to Trane that I was not oblivious to him winning SPOTY, but that I felt he could have won it the year before. I don't think he even got nominated for it that year, despite it being quite an achievement for a brit at the time. I thought it merited at least getting listed, you disagree which is fair enough.

He won it the year he got the green jersey etc. Which is fine by me.

Wiggins has gone even better by winning a grand tour, so certainly should not be discounted from winning SPOTY for arguably performing a larger sporting feat than 'winning some sprints' like cav did. ;-P
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 17:53:16
    Got to be honest, I've clearly missed the famous wiggo personalality. It's also quite ironic on a forum full of people fairly well tuned into the abhorrent mess that is the British press that Murray is held in such low regard for being one of the few public faces to refuse to play the press game. He takes the piss and refuses to bend over, shit should be praised!
  • oceanmotion 11 Sep 2012 18:07:44 16,457 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wiggins does have some humour though not for me, comes across a bit smug and twat like but I know he isn't. His sideburns annoy me. He is some indie front man like Paul Weller who has to have that haircut, that style, attitude. Just grates.

Murray's face does trip him but he is nice and a good laugh. Who would want to be buds with the press, fuck them.

Edited by oceanmotion at 18:10:11 11-09-2012
  • Vortex808 11 Sep 2012 18:20:43 8,842 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Surely the 'personality' bit only ever applies in a 'sportsperson people have heard of wins something' sense?
  • mal 11 Sep 2012 18:28:49 24,351 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Murray has no chance getting in the top 3 due to his remarks on England, the public won't vote for him.
    That he would support 'anyone but England' in the 2006 world cup? Pshaw! He's Scottish - I believe anyone but England is their national team.
  • senso-ji 11 Sep 2012 18:30:09 6,501 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Public will vote for him; that 'anyone but England' jibe has been long forgotten except by the diehard England fans, who's opinions don't matter anyway.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 18:30:32
    And it was a joke to anyone but downers.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Sep 2012 18:42:13 14,801 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mal wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    That he would support 'anyone but England' in the 2006 world cup? Pshaw! He's Scottish - I believe anyone but England is their national team.
    What actually was saidWhy joke is wearing thin for Andy
    Let me return to the topic of Andy Murray and this whole anti-English argument for what I truly hope is the last time - although I doubt it.

Some of the nonsensical criticism Britain's No 1 has received is laced with such misplaced venom and outrage that it makes me despair.

So, for the hard of thinking, let me state here that: I did the interview with Andy Murray and Tim Henman a couple of years back where Murray talked about 'supporting whoever England were playing against'.

It was a clearly a sarcastic remark. He was responding to teasing from your columnist about Scotland's absence from the 2006 World Cup and derisive laughter from the mischievous Henman.

It was reported in that context in this newspaper at the time and the exchange was run as a transcript.

A couple of days later a red-top got excited about the comments, lifted a couple of them into a 'story' that took on a life of its own and from there the truth was lost.

It is astonishing how this has run and run.
  • Jono62 11 Sep 2012 20:59:04 15,123 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's very unlike the red tops to just take part of a story and twist it to make someone look bad.

If Hamilton wins the F1 championship, then he'll win sports personality of the year imo although I think it should be Weir.
  • monkman76 11 Sep 2012 21:06:47 7,404 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Surely not Hamilton? I mean I really hope he wins the WDC, but that achievement pales next to Wiggins, Farah and Murray to name but three. He's won the WDC before for one thing.
  • LetsGo 11 Sep 2012 21:12:17 6,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Murray needs to stop letting Alex Salmon use him as a political chess piece or he'll lose my vote straight away.
  • jamievilla 11 Sep 2012 21:18:40 715 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Murray needs to stop letting Alex Salmon use him as a political chess piece or he'll lose my vote straight away.
    We get it. You don't like him and will find any excuse to have a go. Find a different tune, one that doesn't make you sound like a cunt.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 21:20:13
    LetsGo is your average Sun reader though.
  • LetsGo 11 Sep 2012 21:22:46 6,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jamievilla wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    We get it. You don't like him and will find any excuse to have a go. Find a different tune, one that doesn't make you sound like a cunt.
    Easy there tiger, I like Murray and think he has a great chance to be SPoTY and I don't agree with all the England rubbish in the papers, I was merely suggesting that as one of the reasons why he won't win it.

However, I do think he needs to be careful with Salmon, thats the one thing I do feel strongly about with Murray.
  • Syrette 11 Sep 2012 21:33:15 45,630 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Surely not Hamilton? I mean I really hope he wins the WDC, but that achievement pales next to Wiggins, Farah and Murray to name but three. He's won the WDC before for one thing.
    How does it "pale next to xxx"? Do you think it's easy winning in Formula 1?

For one thing - surely winning the WDC twice (should he do so) would make him even more deserving? Not the opposite which for some reason you've gone with.
  • LetsGo 11 Sep 2012 21:35:35 6,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Being the first ever Brit to win the Tour is above any Olympic medal, major or championship win IMHO.

That's why I think Wiggo deserves it more.
  • Trane 11 Sep 2012 21:39:29 4,060 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mal wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    What actually was said
    Thanks for posting that AB, it's amazing how poor and selective people's memories are, I came to post this which quashes the whole pile of rubbish also:

Click

It's the Telegraph, so makes a bit more sense.
  • jamievilla 11 Sep 2012 21:40:12 715 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So what has Murray done with Salmond? Must admit I haven't seen any coverage of him supporting him or endorsing him - please provide any sources because I think I've missed them.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Sep 2012 21:43:20 14,801 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    jamievilla wrote:
    So what has Murray done with Salmond? Must admit I haven't seen any coverage of him supporting him or endorsing him - please provide any sources because I think I've missed them.
    Nothing at all.
    Letsgo is a blethering fool, ignore him.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last